Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HD DAD posted:

Aerith’s theme shittily played on a recorder is worth it for the bad dress

Haha really, is there a clip of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

HD DAD posted:

Aerith’s theme shittily played on a recorder is worth it for the bad dress

Also the stray animals following her

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Haha really, is there a clip of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CoBmu2-yPQ

"yOu lOoK fiNe"

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
The weird rock version of her theme for the nicer pink dress was, interesting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That wasn't as bad as I was expecting, should have hired a melodica player.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Here, listen to this version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piLdxXV90-0

Now you don't need to make her sad. Go give chair waifu the fabulous dress she deserves

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it's actually hilarious how aeristh actually is just wearing a slightly plain dress but the game treats her like she's wearing a potato sack with holes cut in it and introduces her surrounded by stray animals with the bad recorder theme

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Ehh, before I even saw the full scene I was like, "Oh my God, that dress is hideous." Her normal outfit isn't as bad as they keep roasting her for, though.
It's interesting that Aeris' dresses are ranked from worst to best, but Tifa's are just different flavors of... I dunno, provocative? It makes sense, but it's weird.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I love her normal outfit. Jacket over dress is great

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Beefstew posted:

Ehh, before I even saw the full scene I was like, "Oh my God, that dress is hideous." Her normal outfit isn't as bad as they keep roasting her for, though.
It's interesting that Aeris' dresses are ranked from worst to best, but Tifa's are just different flavors of... I dunno, provocative? It makes sense, but it's weird.

I mean that's how the game treats them. Tifa's dresses are just different but Madam M says she'll give you a dress equal to your accomplishments in Chapter 8.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

RatHat posted:

I mean that's how the game treats them. Tifa's dresses are just different but Madam M says she'll give you a dress equal to your accomplishments in Chapter 8.

Which makes perfect sense given it's tied to how much you pay Madam M for a "hand massage"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The hand massage doesn't affect Aerith's dress, it does factor into which dress Cloud gets though

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The hand massage doesn't affect Aerith's dress, it does factor into which dress Cloud gets though

Oh yeah, I got mixed up. I did all the sidequests in Chapter 8 and paid for the most expensive massage anyway lol

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The dress Cloud gets is based on whether you do Sam's quests, Madam M's quests, or no quests. How much you pay for the hand massage influences whether you get Madam M's quests or Sam's quests, but it doesn't directly affect Cloud's dress (as in, I think you can pay 3000 and still end up with Sam's quests, or you could pay 3000 and then not do any sidequests at all and get the worst dress).

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Can confirm. I paid 3000 gil for the best hand massage (even though I felt like it was a really bad choice because money was relatively tight; mostly because I leaned on items because I suck at action RPGs), and I still got Sam's set of quests.

Got the coin flip wrong (I figured it was rigged but for some reason I thought it was double tails :downs:) and interacted with Johnny, though, which was my ultimate downfall. Curse Johnny for being so cool...!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
B R O

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

LiefKatano posted:

Can confirm. I paid 3000 gil for the best hand massage (even though I felt like it was a really bad choice because money was relatively tight; mostly because I leaned on items because I suck at action RPGs), and I still got Sam's set of quests.

Got the coin flip wrong (I figured it was rigged but for some reason I thought it was double tails :downs:) and interacted with Johnny, though, which was my ultimate downfall. Curse Johnny for being so cool...!

I did all the sidequests in Ch8, Chose "heads" on the coin toss, paid 3000 gil to Madam M and then was given her sidequests. After doing those I got the best dress for Cloud and the best dress for Aerith.

How do you ensure you do Sam's sidequests? Just pay for the cheapest massage?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dell_Zincht posted:

I did all the sidequests in Ch8, Chose "heads" on the coin toss, paid 3000 gil to Madam M and then was given her sidequests. After doing those I got the best dress for Cloud and the best dress for Aerith.

How do you ensure you do Sam's sidequests? Just pay for the cheapest massage?

Calling the coin toss, getting the cheapest massage, and following and agreeing with Johnny outside the Honeybee Inn are points towards Sam. Refusing to call the toss, getting the most expensive massage, and ignoring or disagreeing with Johnny are points towards Madam M. Not sure about the middle massage option.

LiefKatano posted:

There’s no correct answer. Sam’s coin has a full chocobo on each side with both a head and a tail.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

RatHat posted:

There’s no correct answer. Sam’s coin has a full chocobo on each side with both a head and a tail.

I could've sworn that it was double heads, per the key item menu. Is there a dialogue choice I'm forgetting? :psyduck:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

LiefKatano posted:

I could've sworn that it was double heads, per the key item menu. Is there a dialogue choice I'm forgetting? :psyduck:

It has the same thing on both sides, and he'll say it's heads or tails - whatever the opposite of what you pick is.

So it doesn't actually matter that it has the same thing on both sides, just that the rules aren't defined beforehand. Which is why refusing to participate makes him like you more.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

So here's a question for the thread I still don't have an answer for myself after playing through a second time.

Why is President ShinRa hanging off a ledge at the end? Who knocked him out the window but didn't kill him and why?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When in doubt, Sephiroth

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Cavelcade posted:

So here's a question for the thread I still don't have an answer for myself after playing through a second time.

Why is President ShinRa hanging off a ledge at the end? Who knocked him out the window but didn't kill him and why?

It's easily missable but if you look to the side of his desk there's a big hole in the window, chances are when Sephiroth initially attacked Shinra HQ he was blown through the window and over the ledge.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He has heck of upper body strength to have been hanging there the whole three rear end hours we spent in the Drum.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Dell_Zincht posted:

It's easily missable but if you look to the side of his desk there's a big hole in the window, chances are when Sephiroth initially attacked Shinra HQ he was blown through the window and over the ledge.

Like, I saw that but looks the next guy says, how long was he hanging there? Why was he knocked off the ledge and left to hang?

The whole sequence would have been improved by him just being dead I think.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

At first I thought Johnny was kind of funny, until suddenly I became extremely, irreversibly sick of his poo poo, but then his storyline immediately ended, so I feel like the writers understood his role well

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

His last scene with Tifa was pretty great.

Johnny: We can run away forever and it'll be all romantic and stuff!

Tifa: Polite but hard pass.

Johnny: Kay

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

At first I thought Johnny was kind of funny, until suddenly I became extremely, irreversibly sick of his poo poo, but then his storyline immediately ended, so I feel like the writers understood his role well

Oh, I don't think we've seen the last of Johnny, to be honest.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Johnny shows up in Costa del Sol in the original.

Although in that one Tifa is like "Oh I want to catch up with Johnny, Cloud just come back later" which doesn't seem likely this time around lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

By the time the next game comes out I'll be ready for him again (I suppose "irreversibly" was a bit strong, in retrospect)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Surprise! In the remake Johnny joins your party after Aerith dies and turns out to be an absolutely terrible party member

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, pretty sure he's gonna be here until the Northern Crater.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Cait Sith just rides on top of Johnny’s shoulders.

Agents are GO! posted:

He’s going to be IN the Northern Crater.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Johnny? Gongaga.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Agents are GO! posted:

where's that post where johnny injects himself with jenova cells and transforms into a horror and fights you

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Bleck posted:

where's that post where johnny injects himself with jenova cells and transforms into a horror and fights you

Johnova

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bleck posted:

Johnny ABSOLUTE

Edit, alternatively the beginning of One Winged Angel, but its "BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Jenbrova

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Super Brova

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...