Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

thotsky posted:

"Oh, he was always gonna endorse; Bernie is just too nice" is such a dogshit take tho. He's ostensibly fighting to save thousands and thousands of lives, correct grave injustices, and according to the Chapos themselves, possibly help avert the apocalypse, but he can't bring himself to go hard against his political enemies because he enjoys having lunch with them or whatever? What does that say about his priorities, the strength of his conviction, or if that cannot be questioned, his adherence to succdem notions of polite discourse? The Chapos allowing that to just slide does not strike you as odd? I can understand holding back while the race is on for strategic reasons, even if I don't condone it, but once he gave up they should have been on that poo poo.

bernie sanders is a democratic politician who was participating in the democratic primary process. if you feel betrayed that he ultimately respected the democratic primary process as opposed to denouncing electoralism or whatever, that's solely on you and not the failing of some podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

thotsky posted:

Chapo should self-crit about going all in on Bernie in the way that they did. I don't think they demonized the left, but they sure helped demoralize it in the long run. Maybe it would have felt different if he had won, but with the disappointing way he lost it becomes hard not to see the campaging, criticism-free coverage and hype as somehow betraying the original concept of the show.

Not sure what New Matt heralds for the show. Even though it is now clear that Old Matt was right, and Primary Matt was probably a mistake it would be difficult, inauthentic and slightly tired for them to just go back to their old ways. TrueAnon occupies that field now, and I believe Brace a lot more. Libs and "anti-fascist" are sort of holding their feet to the fire, making a black-pill turn somewhat more difficult, but honestly, by embracing the campaign the Chapos lost their outsider status so an attempt would feel pretty forced anyway.

They could look inward and do reading series shows about the beef the NYT has with them, but that would be really indulgent, and too similar to the feuding between Republican and Democrat media institutions, which they've made fun of in the past.

I would be worried about upsetting the apple cart too, but Chapo needs to rebrand somehow. Matt can be engaging in pretty much any context, Felix is clearly done with politics, Amber can gently caress off if all she has to bring is "let's focus on local politics", that's more of a chapo guest than host, and who knows what is up with Virgil. The main issue is Will; by showing his entire rear end with the Bernie thing he no longer has any sort of ironic distance or legitimacy. It would be really embarrassing to see him trying to outdo Brace. The "stupid podcast about the noid" defense will no longer work for him and he's himself a proper target for the "moneyed media elite wonk" criticism he used to hand out.

thotsky posted:

I don't disagree, it was the move that made sense politically / morally, but it still hosed the show.

Taking pot shots from the sideline was a huge part of the show, and they did compromise their anti-establishement stance by going all in like that. They used to be very clear that their intent was never to be part of the discourse, but now they are. That has affected the show.

I think they could/should make an attempt at deescalating, and remind people of when the show used to be fun, and not a lifeline or ideological touchstone. I wish they would do, like, three Call of Cthulhu episodes in a row, dealing with anything but the Bernie thing. Even a Corona take could be alright, although some obscure Twitter thing might be better. Follow that with an interview with somebody engaging and irreverent, like, bring Zizek back on.

That's about the only thing that would bring me back unless they really revamp the format, even then they would have to find a new source of momentum than the Bernie campaign.

thotsky posted:

Firstly, an attempt to square their pre-primary insistence that the show is not activism, and just them screwing around with their engagement and largely uncritical coverage of the Bernie campaign. It was cool and good what they did, and shows do change, but I'm not entirely sure what that means for the show going forward.

Secondly, just me trying to give voice to my dissatisfaction with the show after the loss. Basically, I was largely happy with the new direction the show took during the primary, but somewhat blame them for making me care as much as I did now that it is over. I now question whether they should not have been more critical of both electorialism and the weaknesses of Bernie and his campaign as things developed, but I am for sure disappointed that ultimately they sort of just went away once the writing was on the wall, and in my opinion never really brought the fire.

For sure a lot of that is me projecting my disappointment with Bernie's capitulation and endorsement onto them, which I realize is unfair. Still, I had gotten used to having them give voice to a lot of my anger, and not getting much more than a wet fart of a post-mortem from them since it all went down really bummed me out. I expected something similar to how the trillbilly workers party handled it, or at the very least a re-run of New Years Eve Matt. It's just a lot of whiplash to go from the campaign to doing Star Wars prequel rifftrax.

Undue importance how? I'm really only saying they were important to me, and spaces like this thread. I sort of get you, but that dissonance between the people in the thread praising their involvement and those going "just a podcast lol" is sort of my first point. I think if one can say what they did was "admirable" then it is also okay to be disappointment with them for whatever reason; you lose that ironic detachment defense at that point.

thotsky posted:

Even if, going forward, it turns out that Chapo content will be virtually indistinguishable from what it was like in say, 2018, which I'm sure most of the "hogs" would be happy with, that's actually kind of a horrible Lib view of the future in its own right. They aimed really high and fell short. That "return to normalcy" is such a sad thing to wish for.

If they were not surprised by the heel turn they could have made a bigger deal out of that possibility and what it would mean for the left before it happened, but even if they were caught off-guard by it letting it slide afterwards is sort of hypocritical. They rightfully roast Obama and the rest of the Democrats for trying to compromise with their ideological enemies every chance they get after all.

I dunno, maybe the primary thing just soured the show for me, or perhaps it's just been too many years of the same poo poo... or perhaps I'll get over it in a few weeks.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Not all posting has to be great posting but thotsky you dumb moron, how can you be so goddamned stupid?

The failure of the Bernie campaign is one thing but it literally follows on the beginning of a global pandemic and a general collapse and test of american society that is playing out in real time, right now, as we're posting. We have no loving idea what is even going on or what is coming. What the gently caress is anyone supposed to say right now, beyond maybe electoralism is basically dead in front of us? That specific information doesn't suddenly give you a new game plan. If you're so concerned with what Chapo should be saying about all this why in the hell do you imagine that should actually even be? Are you waiting for them to tear into Bernie like that means something or will drop some amazing new perspective on the masses? That poo poo is just going to be a hot air retread of "I told u electoralism is a waste of time bro" which is demoralizing and not funny or unique enough to warrant shoehorning into an episode beyond the what happened show the already did.

Anyone suggesting anything specific that we should do right now is wrong, because if it was actually useful information it wouldn't be allowed on this forum and would be extremely stupid to blare out on insecure channels like perhaps the most public left facing podcast in the country. That's where we are. We're in the poo poo and biding time. Chapo isn't in a position to say anything more specific beyond making jokes and providing snarky commentary about current events because any ideas or opinions that seriously matter cannot be said on open channels if you don't want to risk your head stuffed in a black bag you dumb bitch.

If you want to take "being more tankie" seriously maybe you should shut the gently caress up about that on a public form, and not expect the chapo crew to risk martyring themselves over a comedy podcast just to get the word out that laws aren't real.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

BBJoey posted:

bernie sanders is a democratic politician who was participating in the democratic primary process. if you feel betrayed that he ultimately respected the democratic primary process as opposed to denouncing electoralism or whatever, that's solely on you and not the failing of some podcast

Even before the primary season started you had at least Amber and Matt saying essentially "warts and all, Bernie is the only choice" which was correct. He made no secret that he would endorse the nominee whomever it was. Like sure they could have dragged the guy for agreeing to do that anyway but everyone knew that this was a Hail Mary. Why wouldn't they go all in for him win voting started and, by all appearances, Biden was a paper tiger? Even after Bernie threw in the towel you had Amber saying "we'll probably revisit Bernie's and our shortcomings in the weeks and months ahead" or Matt saying "do not waste time and energy on presidential politics because we had our best shot at affecting it and we failed, time to change strategies."

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
All the people in this thread being weirdly defensive about their dumb hot-takes podcast being criticized is very lolworthy to read.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lambert posted:

All the people in this thread being weirdly defensive about their dumb hot-takes podcast is very lolworthy to read.

Lambert posted:

Hillary won.

Gotcha before the edit.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 6, 2020

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

All the people in this thread being weirdly defensive about their dumb hot-takes podcast being criticized is very lolworthy to read.

Oh god not this loving guy again

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crane Fist posted:

Oh god not this loving guy again

No one tell me to turn on my monitor!!!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Lambert posted:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I like when the podcast is funny and makes me laugh.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

The old Matt is dying, and the new Matt struggles to be born: now is the time of pillin' and grillin'.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

I like when the podcast is funny and makes me laugh.

lib

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also I like Amber and I like Felix and maybe it’s a hot take, but I like Matt too.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Open chapo up!!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1257816437588180996

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/tom_on_here/status/1257811287934984196

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

will, felix, and at least two FYMs are dunking on posts made in this very thread. I love may

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

GoLambo posted:

Not all posting has to be great posting but thotsky you dumb moron, how can you be so goddamned stupid?

The failure of the Bernie campaign is one thing but it literally follows on the beginning of a global pandemic and a general collapse and test of american society that is playing out in real time, right now, as we're posting. We have no loving idea what is even going on or what is coming. What the gently caress is anyone supposed to say right now, beyond maybe electoralism is basically dead in front of us? That specific information doesn't suddenly give you a new game plan. If you're so concerned with what Chapo should be saying about all this why in the hell do you imagine that should actually even be? Are you waiting for them to tear into Bernie like that means something or will drop some amazing new perspective on the masses? That poo poo is just going to be a hot air retread of "I told u electoralism is a waste of time bro" which is demoralizing and not funny or unique enough to warrant shoehorning into an episode beyond the what happened show the already did.

Anyone suggesting anything specific that we should do right now is wrong, because if it was actually useful information it wouldn't be allowed on this forum and would be extremely stupid to blare out on insecure channels like perhaps the most public left facing podcast in the country. That's where we are. We're in the poo poo and biding time. Chapo isn't in a position to say anything more specific beyond making jokes and providing snarky commentary about current events because any ideas or opinions that seriously matter cannot be said on open channels if you don't want to risk your head stuffed in a black bag you dumb bitch.

If you want to take "being more tankie" seriously maybe you should shut the gently caress up about that on a public form, and not expect the chapo crew to risk martyring themselves over a comedy podcast just to get the word out that laws aren't real.

I get you, and it's not like I really expected a podcast to change all that's wrong with the world or anything. Like, a lot of people, when asked why they like Chapo, say it's because they give some sort of voice to their anger or disaffection or whatever. That was true for me as well, and I mostly feel like they're falling short of that at the moment; I'm not expecting a five-year-plan to topple the government or anything, and yeah, it's understandable if they're feeling pretty burned on putting their emotions and aspirations out in the public right now. It's just a bummer to go back to making fun of prestige TV like nothing happened.

edit: damnit guys, this stuff was for Virgil's eyes only

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 6, 2020

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

thotsky posted:

I get you, and it's not like I really expected a podcast to change all that's wrong with the world or anything. Like, a lot of people, when asked why they like Chapo, say it's because they give some sort of voice to their anger or disaffection or whatever. That was true for me as well, and I mostly feel like they're falling short of that at the moment; I'm not expecting a five-year-plan to topple the government or anything, and yeah, it's understandable if they're feeling pretty burned on putting their emotions and aspirations out in the public right now. It's just a bummer to go back to making fun of prestige TV like nothing happened.

they're people like everyone else. it's okay to check out for a bit

go learn some bushcraft or how to wire ied triggers or something else useful in the coming final confict

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

i just skipped ten pages, are people still complaining about a podcast

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they're people like everyone else. it's okay to check out for a bit

go learn some bushcraft or how to wire ied triggers or something else useful in the coming final confict

Maybe take some online courses

https://twitter.com/trrvvb/status/1257759188597571592

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Big shoutout for thotsky for exposing his rear end online like this.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
With all this exposure I'm starting a patreon for podcast criticism.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
the FYM boys rule don't come at them you dorks

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shipon posted:

the FYM boys rule don't come at them you dorks

Sorry dude the FYM stream is trash, it's nice of Felix to set up a charity for his boring friends but I'm not watching it

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

thotsky posted:

edit: damnit guys, this stuff was for Virgil's eyes only
Didn’t you listen to their what-went-wrong episode? Isn’t Matt recording at least one hour each day about his evolving thoughts? What more do you want, an apology to you, personally?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Crane Fist posted:

Sorry dude the FYM stream is trash, it's nice of Felix to set up a charity for his boring friends but I'm not watching it

Yeah the chapo gaming streams are utter snoozefests and nobody watches them, people only tune in for the Matt rants, special coverages, etc.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FYM may be good at twitter but they're bad streamers

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Uranium posted:

Didn’t you listen to their what-went-wrong episode? Isn’t Matt recording at least one hour each day about his evolving thoughts? What more do you want, an apology to you, personally?

I did, it was boring and unsatisfying. I've not listened to most of the Matt stuff. The dialectic one was okay, at least the parts I can follow, definitely a departure from the formula, which I did state would be welcome. It is interesting to note that they did apologize in the "we're in the Zone now" episode way back when for some reason, and that's an all-time classic, but I'm sure people would jump at them if they came anywhere close to doing so what with the whole Bernie-bro bullshit.

It's cool dude, you don't have to agree, I was just trying to sound out why the show has lost much of its appeal for me. Nobody needs come to the defense of the show, least of all the hosts.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 6, 2020

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

i say swears online posted:

will, felix, and at least two FYMs are dunking on posts made in this very thread. I love may

Be our special correspondent because we aint watching that poo poo.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

(screaming brokenheartedly) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

https://twitter.com/eeberquist/status/1257791895855497216

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
I hope that some day my posts are bad enough for Will to make fun of me tbh

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Did the sempais notice me tho

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Doctor Jeep posted:

Problematic faves

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

it's painfully obvious from the reaction to matt's recent streaming a lot of nerds never dropped acid itt

you only got one life to live but i guess you don't want to see the face of god and all his creation laid out for you and also feel real good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Doctor Jeep posted:

doesn't that mean he's Anderson Cooper's cousin?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Percelus posted:

it's painfully obvious from the reaction to matt's recent streaming a lot of nerds never dropped acid itt

you only got one life to live but i guess you don't want to see the face of god and all his creation laid out for you and also feel real good

It can be good and enjoyable for you but that does not mean it makes for subjectively good content. We're not tripping out, we're parasocially babysitting our friend and listening to him ramble.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

T-man posted:

It can be good and enjoyable for you but that does not mean it makes for subjectively good content. We're not tripping out, we're parasocially babysitting our friend and listening to him ramble.

How are all of your posts and opinions so bad in the thread but so good on your YouTube channel, where you are Natalie Wynn of ContraPoints?

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Virgil gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Chapo is fine but the fans should probably take a month or so off and figure out a new direction to go in