Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
What's the list of SNK stuff with rollback now, Garou, LB2 and SSVSpecial, that's it right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

HerniaFlange posted:

Isn't that what everyone is complaining about Strive being (I'm not, I liked it)? There's still shenanigans but definitely not as many as previous games, at least as far as combos.

Also knockback. Knockback forever. There are corners but they go away to allow for knockback. Or something like Joust but with hitpoints instead of 1-hit kills. Huh. That would actually be pretty cool. Like a platform fighter, but with guns for long range, melee for close, variety for both, zoom in for in-close, zoom out for distance. There is no way this game doesn't already exist, someone please just tell me what it is and how it doesn't work so I can stop pretending I have a good idea again.

its smash

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Boogalo posted:

Found strive pretty loving fun since loving up didn't mean I was stuck in a 20 hit combo for half my health. I'm ok with an 8 hitter doing the same if it means I get to play again sooner.

Exactly this, probably the biggest energy sapper out of anything for me in fighting games is long, long rear end combos, just make the damage higher and make the combo shorter.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/playkofallstar/status/1257883027469828096

Well this is a thing I guess

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

About 40% of those combos are useful after some modification, and the rest are really situational or not worth doing over a simpler BNB that lead into knockdowns/better Oki

Is there a single game where the combo trials actually teach you useful B&Bs, or at the very least optimal combos?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
No because those things aren't known until a lot of people get their hands on the game. Maybe there's an arcade release for a while beforehand but it's a lot harder to come up with that stuff there, and most of the time the game will have a balance patch alongside a console release with trials.

XRDs trials are actually pretty good. On release the SIGN trials included a lot of things that were considered optimal/B&Bs because the game had been in arcades for a while. Rev took a different approach by iterating on the old combos that might not be optimal/Good anymore and then coming up with ways to show off new stuff, rather than aiming to include Real Combos.

I don't think the goal for combo trials should be to give you optimal combos, it should be to teach you how things fit together so you can find them yourself, or at the very least put together something passable that you have the ability to perform. I think the worst trials are the ones like 3SOE where nearly all of it is super-specific useless things that was more about Floe stroking his ego over his knowledge of obscure stuff in the game than teaching you anything useful or even having Hard Combos. The 3s Trial Mode hack that crystal_cube99 made is much better and now I'm going to stroke my own ego by posting the video of me doing all* of those trials:

*there's a new version with more trials that aren't in this video but I also did those just didn't make a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpsgtUPXoKg

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, combos are an emergent property so they'll inevitably get outdated as players get familiar with the game. As bebaloorpabopalo mentioned getting the game out first in arcades or public betas can help catch some of those meergent combos in time for the release of combo trials but that doesn't give the devs much of a headstart.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the best tutorial for any game will always be the dvd that came with blazblue CT where mike z puts on a terrible russian accent and tells you how to play iron tager

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

IronicDongz posted:

the best tutorial for any game will always be the dvd that came with blazblue CT where mike z puts on a terrible russian accent and tells you how to play iron tager

REAL SOVIET DAMAGE

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

No because those things aren't known until a lot of people get their hands on the game.

Super edge-case optimal stuff is a lot less likely to be found in development, obviously, but it's definitely possible between open betas, FGC regulars getting early access/playtesting, and some games patching in new trials with annual/regular releases. Some nearly-optimal B&Bs should definitely be known way before a game is out, though, because those usually end up being put together in design/development.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I don't think the goal for combo trials should be to give you optimal combos, it should be to teach you how things fit together so you can find them yourself, or at the very least put together something passable that you have the ability to perform. I think the worst trials are the ones like 3SOE where nearly all of it is super-specific useless things that was more about Floe stroking his ego over his knowledge of obscure stuff in the game than teaching you anything useful or even having Hard Combos.

I agree to some degree - I think teaching you edge-case-use super-optimised stuff isn't a very good use of combo trials, but they should definitely be teaching you usable stuff, and that's better than combo trials where the last few trials end up just being relatively difficult/long combos that aren't ever going to be usable in an actual match.

Ideally, trials should walk you through any unique properties and the intended design for a character's movelist, and end up teaching you a couple of usable B&Bs so you can come out of the trials with knowledge you can apply to casuals.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 6, 2020

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

HerniaFlange posted:

What's the list of SNK stuff with rollback now, Garou, LB2 and SSVSpecial, that's it right?

KOF97 as well.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

REAL SOVIET DAMAGE

:sickos: if someone doesn't think about that every time they land a heavy SPD, then are they even living?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is there a single game where the combo trials actually teach you useful B&Bs, or at the very least optimal combos?
Tekken is very late to the party and it's not technically "trials", but the new sample combos are a pretty drat good starting point, including input history playback with audio-cues for input timings.

It would be extremely nice if they eventually updated those combos between seasons to include better stable or new routes, but for the most up-to-date lab results people just go to youtube or discords anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Watched that SF3 combo video to relearn I can never remember that Remy and Necro exist

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I really hate how modern games like having super prescriptive combos, like the developers have decided what a characters combos are supposed to be beforehand. I know having like trials that teach you the real life good stuff after its been found arent the same thing really but it still rubs me the wrong way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean 90% of the stuff in combo trials isnt optimal at all i wouldnt really call it prescriptive

Im pretty sure every unist character has a combo tutorial where you burn all your meter for an extra 5%

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Well, at least Austin Creed has something to be excited about so of course he won't make the cut

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MK11's getting another story mode centered around Shang Tsung, and friendships, and Robocop, out May 26:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZIXzoruphM

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/05/06/mortal-kombat-11-aftermath-brings-new-story-robocop-and-friendships/

The paid expansion's called Aftermath, it includes the story mode, 3 new characters (Robocop, Sheeva, Fujin) and 3 skin packs.

Friendships, new stage fatalities and extra stages are a free update - there are 4 new stages (classic Dead Pool and Soul Chamber, plus a new Kronika stage and an arcade-themed stage), I presume they're all included.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 6, 2020

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yessss Friendships!

Edit: Yessss Sheeva!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

MK11's getting another story mode centered around Shang Tsung, and friendships, and Robocop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZIXzoruphM

I'm kinda starting to want to buy MK11 just for the story mode, it seems fantastic :allears:

I've hated the actual mechanics in the previous MK games I played though, everything just feels so.. weird and bad. Something to do with the way the strings feel so dial-a-combo. I also don't like block buttons for whatever reason

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1258020173539414017

I am now excited for Mortal Kombat 11, where before I was only slightly interested in picking it up.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

KP 2 got me really fuckin hyped

EDIT: I'm not even all that disappointed about the fake leak listing Candyman anymore (Even though his fatalities would OBVIOUSLY be called "Sweets For The Sweet" and "Be My Victim")

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I'm kinda starting to want to buy MK11 just for the story mode, it seems fantastic :allears:

I've hated the actual mechanics in the previous MK games I played though, everything just feels so.. weird and bad. Something to do with the way the strings feel so dial-a-combo. I also don't like block buttons for whatever reason

It still feels like an MK game, so that might still be kind of irksome, but the story mode rules. Basically the only thing I've actually done with the game and I still think it was worth it. This meanwhile makes Fujin look awesome, adds Sheeva (the best), Friendships (also the best), preorder gives me the classic Frost skin (done) and

and then Robocop is there.

I know I'm the one that makes all the unfunny "add character to x" jokes but that's because usually the guest character choices in games are dumb. I am fully aware Doomguy is a dumb thing to add to most games except maybe Smash because that game is made out of guest characters. I also know MK is born from action movie worship but I'm still sick of the stupid guest characters from that action movie you saw with your parents that was awesome. Probably another opinion that no one else agrees with and half the thread probably has me on ignore anyways so whatever.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

when someone talks poo poo on robocop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27i9LoNJshA

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Robocop and Robocop 2 rule, near everything else involving him, especially video games, loving sucks. Also it's not specifically him, it's him, The Terminator, The Joker, The Xenomorph, The Predator, Jason, Leatherface, Freddy, it all sucks. Make a new character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

having robocop in the video game is funny and its not like mortal kombat is capable of designing a remotely interesting or likable character

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Guest characters are cool and fun but it sticks an expiration date on the game, and the dlc or the whole game itself will just one day disappear.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
this wouldn't be a problem back in my day when every update had to be pressed to a new physical printing *shakes fist at cloud*

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Combo trials would be better if you could make and share your own

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Combo trials would be better if you could make and share your own

This feature always seemed super obvious to me, it's weird that they've never done something like that.

Or even just periodic updates of the trials where you release updates every few months with new optimized routes.

I can't imagine it takes that many resources to add them if the functionality for trials is already there

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Endorph posted:

having robocop in the video game is funny and its not like mortal kombat is capable of designing a remotely interesting or likable character

Dvorah and Kotal are cool, inasmuch as any MK character can be cool. That's two characters in twenty years or whatever.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I know combo tutorial things aren't optimal or anything but If i could paste in optimal combos and have the nice readout of where I hosed up I would practice those instead. Combo tutorial is more of a seeing if can train my hands to keep the pace needed for that length of time and not so much a learn this thing I will try to use in a match. I pick up stuff like how to corner oki from watching matches and can do a little.

Now I just play sin and throw beak drivers all day. Its like playing dark souls with a big 2-hander.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Iirc they updated the UNI trials when UNIST came out based on what arcade players were using and tried to make usable basic stuff for the A and B starters in the 4-x tier. Obviously the new characters didn't get that treatment and I don't think they changed anything in CLR.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

In Training posted:

Iirc they updated the UNI trials when UNIST came out based on what arcade players were using and tried to make usable basic stuff for the A and B starters in the 4-x tier. Obviously the new characters didn't get that treatment and I don't think they changed anything in CLR.

And even if they didn't get the new character combos perfect, they did teach about some weird possible links that made learning real BnBs easier IMO. I think it's also good that they separated each combo into different kind of starters and situations so the player would also get a grasp on common situations and how to start thinking about properly capitalizing on it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
pretty sure the skullgirls trials are also based on actual BNBs, but those too were released well after the dust had settled on optimal combo routes

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Broke: Dead or Alive 6

Woke: "Dead or alive you are coming with me."

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The best thing about the story mode is that it's a bunch of MK2 era characters meeting their MK11 selves and most of them are really unhappy with what they become (leading to a great Scorpion vs. Scorpion scene). All except Kano, who is absolutely stoked to see that he's kicking as much rear end at 50.

The worst thing is Ronda Rousey voicing Sonya. It's really, really bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Look I love Robocop but I cannot imagine a world in which Robocop is a fun or interesting fighting game character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Look I love Robocop but I cannot imagine a world in which Robocop is a fun or interesting fighting game character
hes in mortal kombat

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's how you do it: you think about which MKX/IJ2 characters and moves they've yet to scavenge and then you envision them shoehorned onto Robocop with no real justification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

hes in mortal kombat

yes I know ha ha but I mean like in any fighting game