Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Woofer posted:

if I gave you $100/hour, 24 hours a day, for 100 years, you still wouldn’t have 10% of Bezos’s net worth.

now get back to work before we all die because we can’t buy food.

His net worth goes up faster than that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Me waiting on the new corona roni numbers to get released

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://www.cnet.com/news/airbnb-lays-off-1900-employees-thats-25-of-its-staff/

quote:

Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky sent a note to his staff on Tuesday morning saying he had to "share some very sad news."

He was letting them know the home rental company had decided to lay off around 25% of its employees, which is roughly 1,900 people out of its 7,500 workforce. It's one of the largest single layoffs by a Silicon Valley company since the novel coronavirus pandemic sent the world reeling.

"When you've asked me about layoffs, I've said that nothing is off the table," Chesky wrote to his employees. "This is incredibly difficult to confront, and it will be even harder for those who have to leave Airbnb."

Airbnb has experienced a financial hit during the pandemic. It's seen tens of thousands of canceled reservations and plummeting revenue. The company was on track for an initial public offering this spring, but reportedly postponed those plans. In his letter to employees, Chesky said revenue for Airbnb this year will be less than half of what it earned in 2019, which was reportedly $4.8 billion.

Other tech companies with a focus on travel have also announced a loss in revenue and layoffs over the past month. Lyft said last week it was letting go 982 employees, or 17% of its staff. And Uber is rumored to be laying off as much as 20% of its workforce, which would total about 5,400 people.

the note: https://news.airbnb.com/a-message-from-co-founder-and-ceo-brian-chesky/

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

BrownianMotion posted:

the question remains how many protests will surface over fast food only serving chicken now

finally the break KFC needed!!!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Charlz Guybon posted:

Belgium has 323 dead today (compared to 272 new cases)

Mexico has 1,120 new cases and 236 dead

Don't think the heat is going to slow this down. :(

belgiums number is weirdly high. did they finally check under the cushions of the old folks home or something

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
they are so hosed i clould be living in a beach house rn

short term rents are thruu the floor because nobody is business travelling or concerting

im all they got left, weird 3-month stayers

but they closed the border and theyre stuck w.me now

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Remember this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC/status/1257344749784137732

Well we have a new one

https://mobile.twitter.com/kfvsnews/status/1257830185770135559

https://mobile.twitter.com/WLKYMark/status/1257744715702624261

https://mobile.twitter.com/WLKYMark/status/1257746535951011840

quote:

Kentucky State Police began investigating in late April after Jeremiah Wooley posted threatening comments against the state's governor and state troopers on Facebook using a pseudonym, according to an affidavit filed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives as part of a criminal complaint filed Tuesday.

Wooley made the comments under a video titled "Kentucky Governor sends State Troopers to Church to Enforce Social Distancing," the complaint says.

One of those comments, included "When would it be acceptable to go and kill this guy," while another mentioned "people getting arrested for doing drive through communion yet a drive through at McDonald's can still operate," according to the affidavit.

Wooley was found with two handguns on him when officers went to arrest him, according to the complaint. During a search of his home, state authorities discovered 12 weapons, including assault style firearms, shotguns and rifles, according to the ATF affidavit. Also confiscated was a .50 caliber rifle.

They also found 50 hand grenades, only one of which was operable, with all of the materials necessary to assemble a grenade, as well as explosive powder.

Mr Ice Cream Glove has issued a correction as of 12:44 on May 6, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

dang this dude could’ve made a killing on the market selling that stuff and been able to stay in the fuckin house

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

how long till one of these nutjobs decides to liberate his fellows and assassinates a governor

days? probably days

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mikjjXURyL8

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Crusader posted:

this is a good thread on why the mutation the los alamos paper highlights may not mean much though:

https://twitter.com/billhanage/status/1256422856436613126?s=21

I have a question as a big dumb idiot who knows nothing about viral biology:

If the whole "D vs G" mutation prevents immunity like people are speculating, why does the D die out once G gets a foothold? Seems like you'd see a mix of D and G if they both could infect you, just a lot more G. A single dominant strain suggests G is luckier / more infectious and then immunity blocks D from reinfecting people later on.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

enjoying the daou's lockdown piano chillouts, extremely vibe

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1258001740638695425?s=09

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Today is nurses day and not one of these morning shows will bring up the poo poo pay most of them get

A Wild Animal
Dec 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am coughing; but it is due to a Plant.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

A Wild Animal posted:

I am coughing; but it is due to a Plant.

plants, can't live with them, can't inhale them without coughing

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

moist turtleneck posted:

Today is nurses day and not one of these morning shows will bring up the poo poo pay most of them get

Don't rock the boat

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

We flew some planes and banged pots together for them what more do they want?!

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Flesh Forge posted:

so, Texas has had 33,573 cases vs 935 deaths = 2.78% CFR, which is still really suspiciously out of line with all the other states with a lot of cases (even Florida)
related, RIP BNO I liked you

yeah the really abnormally low fatality rate has bothered me for a long while now, even more once it came out that Florida really is interfering with death count.

TN somehow has a 1.6% CFR. I really hate to sound :tinfoil: but I'm convinced my state is flat out lying

We also somehow have a 46% recovery rate. Here's the definition of a recovered case on the TN department of health's website:

"People who are confirmed asymptomatic and have completed their isolation period, or are at least 21 days beyond their first positive test"

We are flat out just counting anyone as recovered as long as it's been 21 days since their covid test without any follow-up to actually see if they're still sick lmao

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

Here in Georgia we are forthright about our bad horrible decisions. Over there in Texas you guys tell a Texas sized Tall Tale about the roni.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Flesh Forge posted:

I am a garbage headed arrogant know-it-all so naturally I should be in charge of this. No I don't have any technical skills to contribute

gently caress you that my hella big brained job

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

cyka blyat posted:

Here in Georgia we are forthright about our bad horrible decisions. Over there in Texas you guys tell a Texas sized Tall Tale about the roni.

The narcissism of tiny, teeny-weeny, widduw biddy differences

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

There’s gonna be some angry tweets this morning from our big, wet boy

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

BrownianMotion posted:

The narcissism of tiny, teeny-weeny, widduw biddy differences

We are all hosed no matter what you do with the numbers. I'm pretty convinced you cant effectively contain this without a drastic governance change.

Also apparently aliens are a thing now.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

aliens?
wtf

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I hope aliens aren’t real because if they are my insane conspiracy theory obsessed cousin will never let me hear the end of how correct he was

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/us/pentagon-ufo-videos.html

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
pretty sure i had the roni but antibody results came back negative. do i need to retake the test? im seeing conflicting things about false positives and negatives and how long it takes to build antibodies.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

brugroffil posted:

His net worth goes up faster than that lol

If you earned a million dollars a year from the time Columbus landed in the New World to today you would still not have as much as Bezos makes in a month.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Marx Headroom posted:

pretty sure i had the roni but antibody results came back negative. do i need to retake the test? im seeing conflicting things about false positives and negatives and how long it takes to build antibodies.

no, get back to work, citizen

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
not all ufos are aliens

probably the military shuttle all over again

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

you should all be listening to this week in virology

you’re better off if you get your coronavirus science from twiv and come here for lmaos

you’re probably not equipped to interpret preprints, and the experts will do it for you multiple times a week

Anything new theyre saying? Be the podcast summarizer plz

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

number still gonna go up because the market is being propped up by idk magic fairy dust or something

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Woofer posted:

number still gonna go up because the market is being propped up by idk magic fairy dust or something

fairy dust is backordered at least until disney beijing reopens

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

that dude from Weezer already told me about this years ago

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

rump buttman posted:

it was the dude from Blink 182 actually

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

rump buttman posted:

Yeah but the gov confirmed it which is pretty significant.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Tardcore posted:

yo just heard about those doctors being shot and im crack pinging hard

what is this about

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

infinitely late but if there's still a cspam discord hit me up: Raine#2222

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The UFO vids were not de-classified they were un-classified. Meaning the original image was held as classified until it could be reviewed but after review it was immediately unclassified. Nobody's confirmed aliens. The DoD wants to wow you with their aircraft tech, that's all.