Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Honestly, using natural light and getting close to the subject is 99% of it. You can take great pics with an ancient 2mp camera if you follow those rules. Of course there are some lovely cell phone cameras out there, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

large hands posted:

Honestly, using natural light and getting close to the subject is 99% of it. You can take great pics with an ancient 2mp camera if you follow those rules. Of course there are some lovely cell phone cameras out there, though.

Mine's poo poo. It can't take a non-blurry pic with flash off so no natural lighting which makes everything look washed out.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Get the same or more natural light than the flash produces

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
My kitchen faces east though that's kinda tricky.

I'm overdue for a phone upgrade though but I'm not in a big hurry to drop cash when it works.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Yeah natural light works best. My pics look shittier and shittier as the sun sets earlier. My ugly kitchen lights don’t do much for the food.

Luckily I started a new job that I don’t have to be in until noon. So I’ve been cooking my dinners in the bright morning sunlight the last few months.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Did some Al pastor tacos, cojita, red onion, salsa verde, cilantro with some Mexican rice.

sterster fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 6, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

What did I have for breakfast today?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

toplitzin posted:

four slices of toast? hell, I can respect that.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

slothrop posted:

Here, have some Nood(les)

I made Cacio e Pepe.

Nice Le Creuset cast iron roaster, old school style before they made them super deep with handles like their dutch ovens. I have a few in a couple different sizes myself.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TheAardvark posted:

four slices of toast? hell, I can respect that.

It's from a homemade wheat sandwich loaf.
Two slices were almost Melba thin, the others had a nice pillowy interior.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

toplitzin posted:

Not a criticism or complaint, just letting you know that there's a dedicated breakfast thread.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Tiggum posted:

Not a criticism or complaint, just letting you know that there's a dedicated breakfast thread.

*slowly taking the revolver out of my mouth*

:unsmith:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
pickle brined fried chicken sandwiches

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
leftover pressure cooker beans w/ bacon, onions, garlic over macaroni w/ a sunny side up egg

pork chops, broccoli, taters

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

A poor photo of something that nearly brought me to tears. Kimchi Fried Rice, with a small amount of pork loin diced in. Apologies that the small bowl hid the actual rice, and I overcooked the egg slightly due to being Friday Lit. However this was... amazing. Like really freakin good. Like sad I finished it good. Dang.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

That sounds baller as gently caress.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Another potato thread dinner: aloo rasedar.

North Indian potatoes in a tomato gravy.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

We had wings!

Pineapple peach habanero glaze, with a smaller than I should have done squirt of secret aardvark.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

kumba posted:

leftover pressure cooker beans w/ bacon, onions, garlic over macaroni w/ a sunny side up egg

pork chops, broccoli, taters

Talk me through your taters. They look 💯

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
they're actually just poorly formed latkes using boxed mix out of laziness

turned out more like the shape and texture of bhaji than a latke but were delicious nonetheless

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Couple of recent things that seemed photogenic

Polenta with tofu and veg

Juevos rancheros:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Thai satay pizza, used peanut sauce for the pizza sauce

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
My brother dropped off a present for me earlier today:

So I made pan-seared seabass w/ tomato and garlic couscous, roasted San Marzano tomatoes and a garlic lemon butter.

6h from sea to plate, can't get much fresher than that.

BraveUlysses posted:

Pizza good. Satay good. Together? Probably good.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

toplitzin posted:

We had wings!

Pineapple peach habanero glaze, with a smaller than I should have done squirt of secret aardvark.

What an amazing char. It’s snowing here today and these made me wish for summer.

Can you post your glaze recipe?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Karen sauce from Costco.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

BraveUlysses posted:

I miss peanut sauce. Our daughter is allergic and I could theoretically just make it for myself and my wife but I worry too much about cross contamination.

Might try to make a fake peanut sauce this week. We have this stuff called Wow Butter and it's decently similar to peanut butter in texture if not flavor. It's made with roasted soy beans. Naturally my child doesn't like it, so it's just been taking up space. :v:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Karen sauce from Costco.

I always see that stuff and think it sounds good but never want to buy a huge bottle because I suspect the "habanero" part is false advertising

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Why 'karen' sauce?

E: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/karen-sauce-obituary?pid=185436596

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

fart store posted:

Why 'karen' sauce?

large hands posted:

I suspect the "habanero" part is false advertising

and

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Homemade crunchwrap. Used ground turkey instead of beef with a homebrew taco seasoning, cheddar, shredded iceberg, tomatoes, onion, sour cream, tostada in the center of course, and added some quick pickled jalapenos. Topped with guacamole and cilantro when I ate it (not pictured).

It was unbelievable.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Used the wing leftovers for an unholy abomination.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Raikiri posted:

My brother dropped off a present for me earlier today:

So I made pan-seared seabass w/ tomato and garlic couscous, roasted San Marzano tomatoes and a garlic lemon butter.

6h from sea to plate, can't get much fresher than that.

Pizza good. Satay good. Together? Probably good.

That fish looks amazing!

satay pizza is indeed quite good, I've made it probably 15 times (made it again tonight) and it always turns out great

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Used the wing leftovers for an unholy abomination.

Would.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Strong Martian lasagna game.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I made some Bao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I made some Bao

Coincidentally I failed to make some bao last night (I think there was a mistake in the amount of flour in the recipe I was using and they were a bit too doughy after steaming).

I made homemade hoisin sauce and sous vide chicken thighs which turned out fine, so it was okay without the bao although I was disappointed.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I had leftover pancit, some Japanese curry, and a strong desire to try making a tornado omlette

Honestly not as hard as I thought it would be (this was the 2nd one). If my non-stick wasn't such poo poo it would have been easier

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Dinner tonight is this loaf of bread.

It has been an incredibly long time since I baked a loaf of bread and I've never been good at it anyway, so I used this week to get try and learn the process again, using what limited resources I can get my hands on (no access to bread flour, or a good dutch oven, or etc). It's my dinner because this is attempt #3 this weekend after two incredibly bad gently caress-ups. But they were gently caress-ups I learned from that eventually got me to this passable loaf, so I can't complain too much.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Hell yeah bread! I know there’s a baking thread but I’m a newbie baker too just baking to stay out of the grocery store.

I made a sourdough loaf and a couple white loafs. Which I have used for all meals including dinner!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Made some ramen for dinner. Started the noodles (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2020/04/easy-ramen-noodles.html) last night, then tonight made a soup base from turkey stock made with thanksgiving's bones, dashi, miso, etc. Cooked some pork belly sous vide then crisped and glazed it in the bag juice, agave and soy sauce. Also started some soy eggs the other day for tonight. Had some mushrooms that needed to be used so sauteed them with some onion and seasoned with togarashi. Not exactly authentic, but tasted great.

Bakedbaking soda is kind of a pain in the dick and it smells weird, but the noodles had that classic ramen bite to them so I guess I can't argue with the results of making your own caustic powders at home.