Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The only actual question is the House, and with the dems fielding one of the worst candidates im decades I think that's in serious doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Lone Badger posted:

The only actual question is the House, and with the dems fielding one of the worst candidates im decades I think that's in serious doubt.

Hahaha no it isn’t. Are you people for real?

“the rumbling in my tumbly tells me that we’re gonna lose the House”

They’d have to win in a landslide, a much much bigger victory than 2016. There’s a bulwark of seats where Dems ran up the score in 2018 that would need to be overcome so Trump simply winning wouldn’t do it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

They’d have to win in a landslide, a much much bigger victory than 2016. There’s a bulwark of seats where Dems ran up the score in 2018 that would need to be overcome so Trump simply winning wouldn’t do it.

I think they meant the White House rather than the House. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense, yeah.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's not like we have 100+ years of medical research and technology since then to, you know, better understand how this works now? Christ.

We had people back then saying wear masks and wash your hands. Stupid people didn't. A fuckload of people died.

Same as it ever was.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...Wait what? :psyduck:

Is Sean Hannity the Shadow president? What the gently caress is going on in this clown show?:psyboom:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 6, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Please use the technical term: it's known as a clown fiesta

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

That's a very cursed Kushner.

EDIT: cute animal tax

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ok Comboomer posted:

But people underestimate just how much these states rely on federal handouts to keep their illusion of intelligent conservative thrift afloat. These legislatures/governors love to rail against the feds and interference of liberals while slashing their own contributions to necessary services (education, etc), and then cashing in federal support to keep those services barely functional. It’s utter grift.

And since a lot of this money goes to businesses and not private citizens, leveraging it tends to get the right kind of people barking at their local government to fix the problem. And, likewise, private citizens tend to blame their local politician when poo poo like park maintenance or school sports programs hit a snag. It’s historically been a really powerful way to shape policy.

Yes, but have you considered they'd just turn it all down out of spite and blame :spins wheel: people with less than ten guns?

This literally happened, the ACA raised the cap on Medicaid eligibility to get people insured and extended money to states to do it, and red states turned it down and continue to turn it down, and the law's written so that you don't get insurance subsidy under the cap because they expected states to just take the money and get people on Medicaid. So there's a band of people in red states who are screwed out of health care, out of nothing but spite.

Well, spite and the desire to create a government that does nothing so that nothing is expected of it.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 6, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fart Amplifier posted:

The Senate is unlikely enough that you should expect a 6-3 or 5-3 GOP SCOTUS indefinitely after RBG dies. It's not "nothing matters" but rather just reality.

The senate, assuming trump loses (which is an important assumption, both from the VP tiebreaker and setting a baseline), is currently about a tossup.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

That guy is nuts but it would not be hard to lose the house if things went badly. Remember, it’s still a republican gerrymander: incumbency helps some but the house is still tilted to republicans. That said nobody but the most far-gone of the berniebros and the trumpists believe trump will win the popular vote, merely that he has a chance to have the EC reverse the will of the people again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Biden will win election and Ginsburg won't retire again for four more years and die the night after Trump joins the Grover Cleveland club and defeats Stacy Abrams for the presidency in 2024

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Remember this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC/status/1257344749784137732

Well we have a new one

https://mobile.twitter.com/kfvsnews/status/1257830185770135559

https://mobile.twitter.com/WLKYMark/status/1257744715702624261

https://mobile.twitter.com/WLKYMark/status/1257746535951011840

quote:

Kentucky State Police began investigating in late April after Jeremiah Wooley posted threatening comments against the state's governor and state troopers on Facebook using a pseudonym, according to an affidavit filed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives as part of a criminal complaint filed Tuesday.

Wooley made the comments under a video titled "Kentucky Governor sends State Troopers to Church to Enforce Social Distancing," the complaint says.

One of those comments, included "When would it be acceptable to go and kill this guy," while another mentioned "people getting arrested for doing drive through communion yet a drive through at McDonald's can still operate," according to the affidavit.

Wooley was found with two handguns on him when officers went to arrest him, according to the complaint. During a search of his home, state authorities discovered 12 weapons, including assault style firearms, shotguns and rifles, according to the ATF affidavit. Also confiscated was a .50 caliber rifle.

They also found 50 hand grenades, only one of which was operable, with all of the materials necessary to assemble a grenade, as well as explosive powder.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 6, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A bucket with 50 hand grenades?

That's a big rear end bucket

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

evilweasel posted:

That guy is nuts but it would not be hard to lose the house if things went badly. Remember, it’s still a republican gerrymander: incumbency helps some but the house is still tilted to republicans. That said nobody but the most far-gone of the berniebros and the trumpists believe trump will win the popular vote, merely that he has a chance to have the EC reverse the will of the people again.

I’m betting we either see a Dem wave or a narrow Trump win. I’m skeptical about anything between the two happening.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm too embalmed with cynicism to die, just a zombie wandering the post-apocalyptic earth lurching about and moaning "lol"

lol that owns

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mulva posted:

We had people back then saying wear masks and wash your hands. Stupid people didn't. A fuckload of people died.

Same as it ever was.

https://twitter.com/peterhartlaub/status/1236354607997046789?s=20

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Djarum posted:

Let’s be completely honest here, this was the plan the entire time. The second that they poo poo out a $1200 dollar, one time check with no further stimulus and no rent/debt/bill relief should have been the obvious warning.

They give out a little bit of money to the average person to give cover for the massive handouts to the wealthy. In a few weeks when many people are out of money and are desperate they will do the push to open up the economy and enough people will be just desperate enough to overlook danger and death because they need to eat and pay rent/bills.

In the coming few weeks all of the propaganda commercials thanking essential workers and talking about quarantining will be replaced with propaganda commercials talking about how strong and resilient Americans are and how we are getting back to work. All of the media coverage about hospitals and death will start to fade until you see nothing about it on the news channels anymore except for a throwaway like about the death totals every so often. Chuds will have a new conspiracy theory that COVID-19 was fake. Things will be worse for everyone but the wealthy.

https://twitter.com/BigMeanInternet/status/1257859965072617478?s=19

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

A bucket with 50 hand grenades?

That's a big rear end bucket

A bushel of grenades.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

They also lost millions of people, you stupid idiot gently caress :fuckoff:

To bring up the "effectiveness" of Spanish Flu prevention measures and not bring up that MILLIONS of people died is insane :psyduck:

(Or that this taken before a massive quarantine that shut everything down)

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 6, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TulliusCicero posted:

They also lost millions of people, you stupid idiot gently caress :fuckoff:

To bring up the "effectiveness" of Spanish Flu prevention measures and not bring up that MILLIONS of people died is insane :psyduck:

(Or that this taken before a massive quarantine that shut everything down)

cf. the "causality" comment above

"Wow the Spanish Flu was so much worse, and yet people back then were manly men and persevered! How lame and cowed we've become!"

Not like, it was worse BECAUSE they all went to football games and poo poo

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

evilweasel posted:

The senate, assuming trump loses (which is an important assumption, both from the VP tiebreaker and setting a baseline), is currently about a tossup.
On that note:
https://mobile.twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1258000741907730432

Luckily, Tuberville and Jeff ain't Warren posted:

Extremely flippable. In Alabama, Sen. Doug Jones is in the position that Republican Scott Brown of Massachusetts found himself in eight years ago — he won a special election under extraordinary conditions and now must run 25 points or so ahead of his party's presidential nominee to survive.

Montana being this high is only slightly more surprising than Iowa and Michigan being here posted:

Clearly competitive. The party committees have tipped their hands: The most immediately competitive races in the country will unfold in Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Montana and North Carolina. That's where nearly all the ad reservations are, and that's where each party has a strong recruit facing a less-than-invincible incumbent

stretching the definition of credible posted:

On the bubble. The races shaping up in Alaska, Kansas, Minnesota and Texas are not competitive now, but if the national mood changes, each state has a credible challenger. In Minnesota, Republicans recruited former radio talk host and congressman Jason Lewis:lol::lol: to challenge Sen. Tina Smith but have left him out of their early ad buys. (This race is a good test of whether Republicans seriously compete for Minnesota, a state Trump lost narrowly in 2016 and has become mildly obsessed with.)

Cameo from our favorite Democratic* senator's son, as Dems try not to get California'd posted:

Georgia. It gets its own category here because its ballot line takes some explaining. Georgia will hold two elections in November, a reelection race for Sen. David Purdue and an all-party primary for the seat currently held by Sen. Kelly Loeffler.
[...]
Polling has found Democrats split between Warnock and Matt Lieberman:lol::lol:, the son of former Connecticut senator Joe Lieberman, with some risk that neither make it to the January 2021 runoff.

And a blast from the past: The woman who Manchin beat by 40% vs the Trump-voting "progressive" who underperformed Manchin in his district.

quote:

Most of the Democrats seeking the nomination for these races have raised less than $100,000. The exception, West Virginia's Paula Jean Swearingen, is best known for losing an uphill primary challenge to Sen. Joe Manchin III two years ago. Her competition in the primary is former state senator Richard Ojeda, who raised $2.8 million for an unsuccessful congressional bid, then briefly ran for president. He has raised less than $40,000 for this race.
Looks like we'll get to test the argument that Swearingen will do better with the general electorate of West Virginia than she did with the Democrats alone. It'd be tough to do worse!

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 6, 2020

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Never take anything Clay Travis says seriously.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Booourns posted:

You could just make a separate thread for posting random off topic videos in, then you wouldn't have to read the tweets

Everyone boo this man.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

T. Bombastus posted:

Les Wexner? He was really tight with Jeffrey Epstein.

I was wrong, I just looked it up and it was actually the COO of Coach. Couldn't tell you his name or what he said, but a quick google of the guy's name doesn't show any Epstein connections. :unsmith:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Paracaidas posted:

On that note:
https://mobile.twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1258000741907730432

And a blast from the past: The woman who Manchin beat by 40% vs the Trump-voting "progressive" who underperformed Manchin in his district.

Looks like we'll get to test the argument that Swearingen will do better with the general electorate of West Virginia than she did with the Democrats alone. It'd be tough to do worse!

I keep seeing Michigan put into these articles and I can't figure out why. Peters has significantly led in every poll this year.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 6, 2020

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Xombie posted:

I keep seeing Michigan put into these articles and I can't figure out why. Peters has significantly less in every poll this year.

Republicans have won statewide in recent memory, the challenger has managed to outraise the incumbent, and there have been some partisan polls suggesting that it's a tight race. I think it's overblown, but I am figuring Michigan's history is why Peters' included here while Graham/South Carolina is considered a longer shot despite similar underlying dynamics.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xombie posted:

I keep seeing Michigan put into these articles and I can't figure out why. Peters has significantly less in every poll this year.

Michigan is expected to run close in the presidential race. Also it’s the only other credible Republican pickup so they will try hard there. I don’t think anyone thinks he’s toast or more likely to lose than not but that his race is likely to be somewhat competitive.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/MattWelch/status/1257855287010250752

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

In 1996, McCovey and fellow baseball Hall of Famer Duke Snider pled guilty to federal tax fraud charges that they had failed to report about $10,000 in income from sports card shows and memorabilia sales from 1988 to 1990. McCovey was given two years of probation and fined $5,000.[33][34] He received a pardon from President Barack Obama on January 17, 2017.[35]

:thunk: gently caress's sake if Trump has a mad-on about McCovey because of this

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know, that's the kind of bullshit lie that everyone who was okay at sports in high school tells themselves and nobody ever takes seriously so I'm okay with Trump spouting that one.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Random Stranger posted:

You know, that's the kind of bullshit lie that everyone who was okay at sports in high school tells themselves and nobody ever takes seriously so I'm okay with Trump spouting that one.

I could have gone on to the majored if it wasnt’ for Abe "Sweetbread" Bailey taking my spot on the 1920 Cubs line-up in high school.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

ewiley posted:

I could have gone on to the majored if it wasnt’ for Abe "Sweetbread" Bailey taking my spot on the 1920 Cubs line-up in high school.

okay deteriorata

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
oh just saw your name, nm

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump threw 12 perfect games his senior year of high school and decided that there was nothing more to accomplish and quit the sport.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Of course, no mention of the fact that every single person in the shot has a mask on.

Amazing that the one thing that would allow the lockdown protesters to have what they want sooner is the one thing they’ll refuse to do.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

St. Dogbert posted:

Of course, no mention of the fact that every single person in the shot has a mask on.

Amazing that the one thing that would allow the lockdown protesters to have what they want sooner is the one thing they’ll refuse to do.

If they compromise on anything that’s giving into communism.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Mollie/Federalist having a normal one this morning:
https://mobile.twitter.com/UrbanAchievr/status/1258035440235565057

e: Bonus Matty/YouGov:
https://mobile.twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1258033988935057408

Unsurprising that the measures remain broadly uncontroversial as the cases and death tolls rise.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 6, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just give him all the jobs, whatever. Remember when he ‘solved’ Middle East peace?

https://twitter.com/erinbanco/status/1258025588167716864?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1258012276096933893?s=19