Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Should I be able to get more ancient fruit seeds from shoving ancient fruit into the seed maker? When I tried I just got mixed seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Kestral posted:

Stardew thread, can you recommend interesting mods for someone who’s completed several regular playthroughs, but hasn’t played since 1.3? I’m ready for another trip to the valley, and looking for interesting farm maps, beautiful houses, gameplay additions, QoL improvements, etc. that you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to someone on their first run.

Seasonal Outfits and Automate are the only two mods whose existence I recognize. And I guess Scythe Everything.

There are some pretty graphics packs, though. There's like a fairy theme or something that looked super detailed.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole, you could check out SVE.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Oxyclean posted:

Should I be able to get more ancient fruit seeds from shoving ancient fruit into the seed maker? When I tried I just got mixed seeds.

There's always a small chance you'll get mixed seeds no matter what you put in. Just keep trying.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's Summer 2 and George asked for Wheat. What the heck.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

There's always a small chance you'll get mixed seeds no matter what you put in. Just keep trying.

Alright, I saw that on the wiki, but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't just unlucky. Is it pure RNG where I can restart the day for another chance?

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm real temper to edit my latest save game (summer 12th) just for the biggest back pack and watering can, that'd take most of the pointless frustration out of the early game.

I feel the exact opposite. The early game is the best!

I keep trying different methods to reduce profits/increase prices to make that feeling last longer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Oxyclean posted:

It's Summer 2 and George asked for Wheat. What the heck.
wheat is a summer/fall crop now

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Coolguye posted:

wheat is a summer/fall crop now

He's pointing out that it takes 4 days to grow wheat and an NPC is asking for it the 2nd or 3rd. So unless he has some from last year(assuming it's not the first year) or used speed grow on it there's no way he could have the wheat.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, it was second year, so I theoretically could have had some from last. It was a typical time limited quest so I was just complaining on the fact it showed up before I could have done a harvest this season.

Also, just managed to finish the community center by like.. Summer 15? Of year 2, which I think was a better pace the my last playthrough.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Also, just managed to finish the community center by like.. Summer 15? Of year 2, which I think was a better pace the my last playthrough.

Unless you get lucky on the Random Trader you really can't complete it until second year because of Red Cabbage (which only starts getting sold in year 2). So really anytime before year 3 is good. Also being more experienced with the game and knowing what to expect earlier helps out a ton. Either way congrats.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The train can damage you so in theory you could be murdered by train. I saw in the wiki that the christmas train is supposed to drop presents but I've never seen that happen.

The bath house has a briefly useful period to recharge before I hit the mines on days when I have to water/hoe a ton before I got a bunch of sprinklers set up. Also I didn't know that the men's and women's rooms were different and there is a gym set in the men's room and Alex goes and works out there!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Unclouded posted:

He's pointing out that it takes 4 days to grow wheat and an NPC is asking for it the 2nd or 3rd. So unless he has some from last year(assuming it's not the first year) or used speed grow on it there's no way he could have the wheat.

Oh my bad I missed the timings involved

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Caught another train this morning.

This time, it dropped Rocks, Wood, 5 Geodes, and 7 Magma Geodes.

Left them in a chest by the Blacksmith's to wait for a lucky day to get them processed. Apparently luck doesn't affect what comes out of a Geode, though, so it's more of a "Well, at least I won't forget them this time," thing.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

maltesh posted:

Caught another train this morning.

This time, it dropped Rocks, Wood, 5 Geodes, and 7 Magma Geodes.

Left them in a chest by the Blacksmith's to wait for a lucky day to get them processed. Apparently luck doesn't affect what comes out of a Geode, though, so it's more of a "Well, at least I won't forget them this time," thing.

Oh that's a really good idea. I always forget about them until after he's closed, and he's right next to a mine cart so it's no problem to just drop them in a chest there.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

A train dropped me elf shoes or something. Only thing I've seen.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

resistentialism posted:

A train dropped me elf shoes or something. Only thing I've seen.

It is one of my huge pet peeves that the equipment drops are always shittier than whatever you have already.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Poque posted:

Oh that's a really good idea. I always forget about them until after he's closed, and he's right next to a mine cart so it's no problem to just drop them in a chest there.

It also doubles as a place to put all your items/tools while you're breaking open geodes. I tend to put one either at the bus stop near the mine carts or next to the exit of the mine carts near the blacksmith. Makes it easy to drop off after getting them in the mines.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Pixelante posted:

It is one of my huge pet peeves that the equipment drops are always shittier than whatever you have already.

Any boots can be upgraded to the stats of your choice with the sewing machine. Leprechaun shoes are great for colour-coordinating outfits, and you don't have to give up your moon boot stats!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's some good stuff to stick into fish ponds? Seems like I want one for Sturgeon so I can get Sturgeon Roe / Caviar.

Also what's the use of the Slime Hutch? I feel like I got a ton of slime mats already and it sort of seems like it might be a hassle to manager.

and I guess the Mill is mostly for funsies if you want to make your own flour/rice/sugar rather then just buying it from Pierre?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Oxyclean posted:

What's some good stuff to stick into fish ponds? Seems like I want one for Sturgeon so I can get Sturgeon Roe / Caviar.

Sturgeon - sturgeon roe for caviar
Super Cucumber - iridium ore

Blobfish - warp totem farm
Crayfish/Periwinkle/Snail - warp totem mountains
Cockle/Crab/Lobster/Mussel/Oyster/Shrimp - warp totem beach

geode fish to help with completing the museum
Octopus - omni geode
Lava Eel - magma geodes and other goodies, if I remember right this is also the most profitable fish pond
Ice Pip - frozen geode or frozen tear

Squid (Midnight squid gives more) - squid ink for seafoam pudding
Void Salmon - void egg or void essence

Rainbow Trout - 0.1% chance of prismatic shard
Slimejack - slime for wild bait
Dorado/Lingcod/Pike - bug meat for wild bait

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I have six ponds:
Squid, flounder and midnight carp for seafoam pudding
Crab because Willy likes crabs :3:
Sturgeon for caviar
Tuna because I had an empty sixth pond

By the time you have a fish pond filled up with enough stock to actually drop the good stuff you don't need it any more

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

LLSix posted:

Sturgeon - sturgeon roe for caviar
Super Cucumber - iridium ore

Blobfish - warp totem farm
Crayfish/Periwinkle/Snail - warp totem mountains
Cockle/Crab/Lobster/Mussel/Oyster/Shrimp - warp totem beach

geode fish to help with completing the museum
Octopus - omni geode
Lava Eel - magma geodes and other goodies, if I remember right this is also the most profitable fish pond
Ice Pip - frozen geode or frozen tear

Squid (Midnight squid gives more) - squid ink for seafoam pudding
Void Salmon - void egg or void essence

Rainbow Trout - 0.1% chance of prismatic shard
Slimejack - slime for wild bait
Dorado/Lingcod/Pike - bug meat for wild bait

This is good info! Thanks. I’m going to start with eel so I can make spicy eel all year round for the Skull Cavern.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Fish ponds? Sewing machines? What is going on here? I assume some patches. Did he fix any of the terrible interface problems?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Fish ponds? Sewing machines? What is going on here? I assume some patches. Did he fix any of the terrible interface problems?

Some of them.

Fish ponds are a building you put fish in, and they then make something. Usually roe but other stuff too, depending on what kinda fish the pond is stocked with. The fish also sometimes want things as bribes to continue making whatever it is they make. I have no idea how a fish tells me of his desire for an amethyst, or what he wants with it, I just work here.

The sewing machine lets you make clothes. It's Emily's sewing machine and she'll let you use it if you two are pals. Clothes are items now instead of part of your character appearance like face/hair. So you can change your shirt & pants without going full appearance change.

The other big new things are rice and tea. Rice lets you grow rice. The rice seeds are a monster drop. Tea lets you grow tea leaves to make tea with. Caroline gets you started here if you two are pals.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

chairface posted:

Some of them.

Fish ponds are a building you put fish in, and they then make something. Usually roe but other stuff too, depending on what kinda fish the pond is stocked with. The fish also sometimes want things as bribes to continue making whatever it is they make. I have no idea how a fish tells me of his desire for an amethyst, or what he wants with it, I just work here.

The sewing machine lets you make clothes. It's Emily's sewing machine and she'll let you use it if you two are pals. Clothes are items now instead of part of your character appearance like face/hair. So you can change your shirt & pants without going full appearance change.

The other big new things are rice and tea. Rice lets you grow rice. The rice seeds are a monster drop. Tea lets you grow tea leaves to make tea with. Caroline gets you started here if you two are pals.

Cool, thanks for the information. A big update was just coming down when I quit playing, and I missed it all.

How does this game play on PS4? I bought one for the lockdown, and live almost entirely in my bed, now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cool, thanks for the information. A big update was just coming down when I quit playing, and I missed it all.

How does this game play on PS4? I bought one for the lockdown, and live almost entirely in my bed, now.

It plays fine on any platform. I primarily played on PS4 but I have it on PC, switch, and PS4.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Man, why did I wait so long to get the horse? With time so limited, the Stable should have been one of my first purchases once I could reliably source Hardwood and produce Iron Bars. Instead, I put it off until Spring Year 3, thinking Farmhouse Upgrade 2 was more useful somehow.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

blackguy32 posted:

It plays fine on any platform. I primarily played on PS4 but I have it on PC, switch, and PS4.

Cool, thanks. I might grab it for PS4, then.

In my first play-through, I sort of meandered around doing whatever. Is there a best-practices document for getting your horse and greenhouse and all that stuff up and running as quickly as possible, so you can get down to enjoying the farming and brewing and loving?

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Cool, thanks. I might grab it for PS4, then.

In my first play-through, I sort of meandered around doing whatever. Is there a best-practices document for getting your horse and greenhouse and all that stuff up and running as quickly as possible, so you can get down to enjoying the farming and brewing and loving?

if you search for 'stardew min/max' you'll find some good guides online. the main constraints early on are making enough money, mining enough ore, and upgrading your tools. you'll be constantly short on energy, so foraging is key. fishing is a great path to early money in spring. by summer you should have enough sprinklers to go big with blueberries/melons/hops, which solves your money problems for the year

the greenhouse is gated by the fall crop bundle, which is gated by when you can grow your first pumpkin. (Speed-gro saves a few days there). you need to also complete the animal and artisan bundles by then, which requires a big barn, a big coop, and a fruit tree or two unless you pick the fruit cave

one tip, it's very doable to unlock the mine carts during your second week in spring. all you need is to reach floor 80 on the mines to get the gold and fire quartz, or luck out with fishing chests

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

maltesh posted:

Man, why did I wait so long to get the horse? With time so limited, the Stable should have been one of my first purchases once I could reliably source Hardwood and produce Iron Bars. Instead, I put it off until Spring Year 3, thinking Farmhouse Upgrade 2 was more useful somehow.

if you're like me, it's because as an avid Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons player you were so used to horses being kind of annoying because they just wander around when you dismount.

Concerned Ape really gave us Gay Marriage and Useful Horses... his mind.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

take boat posted:

also complete the animal and artisan bundles by then, which requires a big barn, a big coop, and a fruit tree or two unless you pick the fruit cave
You don't need the Big Barn if you get a fruit tree. If you get lucky and get cloth from recycling a newspaper you don't even need the big coop.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Darkhold posted:

You don't need the Big Barn if you get a fruit tree. If you get lucky and get cloth from recycling a newspaper you don't even need the big coop.

you need a big barn/big coop or barn/deluxe coop for the animal bundle, unless you get lucky with the traveling merchant

edit: or deluxe barn / coop, which also completes the artisan bundle

I didn't realize this before, but it's cool that you can skip any two animal building upgrades and still complete the animal bundle

take boat fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 9, 2020

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Oh sorry I was getting was thinking Deluxe instead of Big. It's been a long day.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Anyone with a four-corners map care to share their layout? I'm starting Year 2 and therefore starting to look into getting a plan together...

take boat posted:

one tip, it's very doable to unlock the mine carts during your second week in spring. all you need is to reach floor 80 on the mines to get the gold and fire quartz, or luck out with fishing chests

I really don't get how one is supposed to be able to do stuff like this--unless it's with mods? It'd take hours to get a few levels once you go deep enough to require multiple hits to break a single rock...

E-flat fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 9, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

E-flat posted:

Anyone with a four-corners map care to share their layout? I'm starting Year 2 and therefore starting to look into getting a plan together...

Here's my most recent playthrough. I enjoyed it but lol there is absolutely no reason to dedicate a quarter of your map to fish ponds.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Poque posted:

Here's my most recent playthrough. I enjoyed it but lol there is absolutely no reason to dedicate a quarter of your map to fish ponds.

Thanks friend! Man that is a super clean farm! I especially like the encircling of the animals. ...I was just wondering how to contain mine.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Thank you! It was like my fifth playthrough, so I've gone more toward organization and aesthetics as my ultimate goal.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

E-flat posted:

I really don't get how one is supposed to be able to do stuff like this--unless it's with mods? It'd take hours to get a few levels once you go deep enough to require multiple hits to break a single rock...

Every five floors unlocks an elevator door. On my own playthrough, every time it rained before I was able to craft sprinklers, and whenever I felt like it after that, I'd choose to spend a day descending five floors of the Mines to the next elevator.

On your way down, you start collecting and smelting the ores you need to upgrade your tools, (and get them upgraded on days you're not planning to use them) so it no longer takes mutltiple hits to crack most rocks.

Also, if you go on Lucky Days, you're more likely to find ores and uncover staircases when cracking rocks.

I'm not particularly /good/ at the combat, so I'm still not at the bottom of the mines by the end of Winter Year 3, but I can definitely see someone better at it than I burning through ten levels or more on a trip.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

maltesh posted:

Every five floors unlocks an elevator door. On my own playthrough, every time it rained before I was able to craft sprinklers, and whenever I felt like it after that, I'd choose to spend a day descending five floors of the Mines to the next elevator.

On your way down, you start collecting and smelting the ores you need to upgrade your tools, (and get them upgraded on days you're not planning to use them) so it no longer takes mutltiple hits to crack most rocks.

Also, if you go on Lucky Days, you're more likely to find ores and uncover staircases when cracking rocks.

I'm not particularly /good/ at the combat, so I'm still not at the bottom of the mines by the end of Winter Year 3, but I can definitely see someone better at it than I burning through ten levels or more on a trip.

Oh, yes, no question to that, hell, I've done that--my incredulity was towards the 'get to level 80 by the end of the second week of the game'. When you upgrade you take an entire day out of commission, plus the rest of the day you give Clint the pickaxe to upgrade. You also start off with pretty horrendous energy reserves, and even like 15 or however many spring onions will spawn won't bring you back terribly much. It just seems highly unlikely to get so lucky to skip so much. I basically upgraded my pickaxe as soon as I've been able to so I can't say how many times it takes to break rocks in the deeper levels but even keeping pace it's been enough to be annoying.

E-flat fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 10, 2020

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ah, I stand corrected. Apologies. Yeah, that definitely seems more like skilled speedrun territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I just wonder what all those min/maxing guides seem to expect from people sometimes! I guess I'm just not cut out to be a pro gamer speedrunner v:v:v