Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

Imagine being so poo poo that even the Fair Work Commission is like "whoa settle down there fellas".

Ah yeah but sometimes it's because you've been forced. I don't think McDonald's and the SDA are a good example but the NUW and CFMEU had agreements knocked back because sometimes companies just beat you.

I'm not defending the SDA or this situation though just chatting fair work because it interests me. I might get the decision and have a look for fun because I am an exciting person with lots on.

E: I have done the knife in the dark letting companies submit hosed agreements as an organising tool, but this ain't that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
My workplace has reached the "encouraged strongly to take leave" level of the pandemic.

Good luck to them, I would honestly rather spend more time at work than at home and i can't imagine I'm alone in that thought.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Sierra Madre posted:

But they are open. They just don't allow you to sit inside. Is that all they're mad about?

Honestly I kinda wish all these people realised that everyone advocating for quarantine knows it's awful, it's just better than the alternative of letting thousands of people die. Nobody who has to stay home is having fun with it.

It's actually out of character for them and I was more surprised than shocked. I can rationalize it away by saying it's more about their insufferable hubby than themselves. Up until today they've been pretty sensible about it.

Meanwhile actual mum is reposting "Plandemic" propaganda on FB which is far more disturbing.

Also I lost my job but don't get jobseeker. Apparently I'm eligible for ~$78 per fortnight plus corona plus rent assistance but the rate of pay is nil due to partner income. As a couple we're still doing better than a lot out there I guess but I can't wrap my head around nil payment especially when everyone is telling me the partner threshold is well above what my partner is getting paid.

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 6, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Electric Wrigglies posted:

In relation to the Macdonalds appeal to change the conditions.

RAFFWU does it again.

Imagine if they had been around 20 years ago.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol at the ACTU being to the right of the loving fair work commission

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What's up with Sally, she's gone right ever since Bill lost.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

The Sausages posted:

It's actually out of character for them and I was more surprised than shocked. I can rationalize it away by saying it's more about their insufferable hubby than themselves. Up until today they've been pretty sensible about it.

Meanwhile actual mum is reposting "Plandemic" propaganda on FB which is far more disturbing.

Also I lost my job but don't get jobseeker. Apparently I'm eligible for ~$78 per fortnight plus corona plus rent assistance but the rate of pay is nil due to partner income. As a couple we're still doing better than a lot out there I guess but I can't wrap my head around nil payment especially when everyone is telling me the partner threshold is well above what my partner is getting paid.

What is your partners income? If you don’t mind. It seems like this should be a fairly black and white issue?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

What's up with Sally, she's gone right ever since Bill lost.

she was always trash, sorry.

A Company Trade Union

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

thatbastardken posted:

she was always trash, sorry.

A Company Trade Union

Haha wow

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

JBP posted:

Haha wow

yeah that's probably unfair

on the other hand what has she actually done as head of the ACTU? workers rights haven't exactly advanced, the ALP hasn't flourished in elections, she's no help to the unemployed...

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Sally McManus was cool when she said workers should go on unlawful strike, and then has never said or done anything good since

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Fi_Willan/status/1257999509616877568

what a cockup the withdrawing super is turning out to be.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

drunkill posted:

https://twitter.com/Fi_Willan/status/1257999509616877568

what a cockup the withdrawing super is turning out to be.

:agreed:

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

bell jar posted:

Sally McManus was cool when she said workers should go on unlawful strike, and then has never said or done anything good since

Perhaps she just gave up after the workers didn't go on unlawful strike. Sort of a 'welp, I'm out', but still claiming that sweet, sweet money.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
lol
https://twitter.com/TimSmithMP/status/1257954381103722497
https://twitter.com/TimSmithMP/status/1257985250837139456

another hot take from 'remove the bats' tim smith.

Not like there is any pandemic going on which he should be trying to help his electorate with.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 6, 2020

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lol at trying to get the giants to reign in their girl. Nice one Tim!

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I don't have or use twitter and even I know that what he did is called snitch tagging, and is incredibly cowardly poo poo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

drunkill posted:

lol
https://twitter.com/TimSmithMP/status/1257954381103722497
https://twitter.com/TimSmithMP/status/1257985250837139456

another hot take from 'remove the bats' tim smith.

Not like there is any pandemic going on which he should be trying to help his electorate with.

Haha he's an internet warrior.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Tim sounding batty as usual

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Tim Smith is honestly one of the worst and also dumbest MPs going round.

The Victorian Libs make Albos lot look like an effective opposition. Its mind boggling how pathetic they manage to be.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Recoome posted:

Being on the Lifeline phones at the moment is nuts. Basically every 2nd call is now about suicide, usually average 1 intervention per shift now (used to be 1-4 months maybe).

Interestingly but not surprisingly, ED presentations for suicidal ideation is down. I appreciate the decline in amount of work but it’s obvious that people are avoiding seeking emergency services at a time when the need for these services is probably increasing

There’s a baseline level of anxiety everyone in MH seems to have. Not a lot of people identify COVID as the sole reason why they’re depressed or aggressive or dysregulated or whatever but it’s always on the list and it’s almost certainly bringing people over the threshold in terms of aggregate stress when you add it to their usual concerns

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Konomex posted:

Perhaps she just gave up after the workers didn't go on unlawful strike. Sort of a 'welp, I'm out', but still claiming that sweet, sweet money.

Nah, she was the chief driver behind the Change the Rules campaign, which hoovered up millions in member dues and achieved basically nothing because compared to what Cliev spent it might as well have been 50c and an expired condom.

To be fair, we all got caught up in it, but it's the same trap unions have been falling into since the end of the 1980s, where you get all of the already active members hype as gently caress and spamming their own social groups, or these days, social media (which everyone outside of their own echo chamber already has on mute) and everyone high 5s each other, while nobody outside gives a gently caress, because you're not having the right conversations with the right people. It was a big ole feelgood jamboree, but nobody who wasn't already voting Labor was convinced.

Hindsight being 2020, the better approach would have been to take that money and those resources and put it towards deep organising techniques that have been working really effectively in the US, which is what my branch did after the initial shock of being so goddamn wrong about the impact of what we were doing on election outcome. The idea is that instead of having morning tea with the same rusted on union mascots once a month, who show up to every meeting but haven't actually recruited a colleague since 1993, you identify the people who are already organic leaders in the workplace, and figure out what issues they consider important, offer to work with them on that - but point out that you're not going to be able to organise a decent action unless the majority of people in that area sign on. Within a few weeks suddenly they've recruited most of their office, and are running a collective action with barely any union staff or officer resources. Repeat that across a university, or a large company, and suddenly you don't just have good density - you have the people who actually keep the lights on working for you. And you don't have to have a huge team of recruiters or paid organisers on the ground going office to office endlessly to do it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
For more information on deep organising, check out No Shortcuts, by Jane McAlevey

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Don Dongington posted:

Nah, she was the chief driver behind the Change the Rules campaign, which hoovered up millions in member dues and achieved basically nothing because compared to what Cliev spent it might as well have been 50c and an expired condom.

To be fair, we all got caught up in it, but it's the same trap unions have been falling into since the end of the 1980s, where you get all of the already active members hype as gently caress and spamming their own social groups, or these days, social media (which everyone outside of their own echo chamber already has on mute) and everyone high 5s each other, while nobody outside gives a gently caress, because you're not having the right conversations with the right people. It was a big ole feelgood jamboree, but nobody who wasn't already voting Labor was convinced.

Hindsight being 2020, the better approach would have been to take that money and those resources and put it towards deep organising techniques that have been working really effectively in the US, which is what my branch did after the initial shock of being so goddamn wrong about the impact of what we were doing on election outcome. The idea is that instead of having morning tea with the same rusted on union mascots once a month, who show up to every meeting but haven't actually recruited a colleague since 1993, you identify the people who are already organic leaders in the workplace, and figure out what issues they consider important, offer to work with them on that - but point out that you're not going to be able to organise a decent action unless the majority of people in that area sign on. Within a few weeks suddenly they've recruited most of their office, and are running a collective action with barely any union staff or officer resources. Repeat that across a university, or a large company, and suddenly you don't just have good density - you have the people who actually keep the lights on working for you. And you don't have to have a huge team of recruiters or paid organisers on the ground going office to office endlessly to do it.

Yeah I found something similar in the Greens. Like it was nice keeping in touch with other supporters, but the real value was in finding the people who weren't extremely opposed to you, but weren't that supportive either, working out what they cared about and talking to that.

A lot of people didn't get that we weren't really looking for supporters unless they were actually going to put themselves out there and volunteer, we were trying to find undecided people and leave a good enough impression they vote for us on election day.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

teacup posted:

What is your partners income? If you don’t mind. It seems like this should be a fairly black and white issue?

~70k/yr, ~2.7k/fn

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

The Sausages posted:

~70k/yr, ~2.7k/fn

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/news/were-relaxing-income-test-jobseeker-claims

quote:

From 27 April 2020, the partner income limit at which your payment cancels temporarily increases to $3,068.80 gross per fortnight.
This means your partner can earn this amount each fortnight without your payment stopping, if you have no income. If you earn any income, it will also count in this income test.

I’d have a look at it? Either there’s something you’re not factoring in like some other income either of you have, or they are just wrong- because it seems like you should be eligible?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

froglet posted:

Yeah I found something similar in the Greens. Like it was nice keeping in touch with other supporters, but the real value was in finding the people who weren't extremely opposed to you, but weren't that supportive either, working out what they cared about and talking to that.

A lot of people didn't get that we weren't really looking for supporters unless they were actually going to put themselves out there and volunteer, we were trying to find undecided people and leave a good enough impression they vote for us on election day.

The only people who reached out to me and I saw active trying to do some grassroots campaigning were VicSocs. Gotta catch up and see where they're at now.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

I was quite the fan of the idea of change the rules idea. A long term countering the narrative of the unions activity being bad/wrong because it was illegal. I think that may have partly worked in shifting that conversation, but certainly lost some steam around (i think timing wise) when Sekta became daily news. Also clearly failed to move votes, which was a bit of a problem.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

VOTE1 posted:

I was quite the fan of the idea of change the rules idea. A long term countering the narrative of the unions activity being bad/wrong because it was illegal. I think that may have partly worked in shifting that conversation, but certainly lost some steam around (i think timing wise) when Sekta became daily news. Also clearly failed to move votes, which was a bit of a problem.

I think the votes will come from the increased unionisation mentioned earlier.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Increased unionisation? Where?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Increased unionisation in my country? It's more likely than you think.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

well the AUWU is going gangbusters

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

UWUs warehousing coverage is going up astronomically.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Probably because people know we’re headed for a recession.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

hambeet posted:

Probably because people know we’re headed for a recession.

We've been in one for a while so I'm not sure where this heading is coming from.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Good. They've been doing some great work for 6 years and are only now being offered a seat at the table.

Funnily enough Australia has a grand history of unionism for unemployed workers since the Great Depression (but not since the 70s/80s) so it is a great time to revive it. It'll hopefully have a knock-on effect of improving conditions for employed workers--good conditions for the unemployed means that employers need to offer more.

trunkh posted:

We've been in one for a while so I'm not sure where this heading is coming from.

But per capita recessions don't count!!!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Before Times posted:

Good. They've been doing some great work for 6 years and are only now being offered a seat at the table.

Funnily enough Australia has a grand history of unionism for unemployed workers since the Great Depression (but not since the 70s/80s) so it is a great time to revive it. It'll hopefully have a knock-on effect of improving conditions for employed workers--good conditions for the unemployed means that employers need to offer more.

But per capita recessions don't count!!!

Hopefully, but harder times now considering that lots of the large manufacturing that is traditionally union heavy is gone.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Senor Tron posted:

Hopefully, but harder times now considering that lots of the large manufacturing that is traditionally union heavy is gone.

That's true, although there might actually be an increased focus on ensuring the Australian economy is more self-sufficient in terms of what it manufactures, given how much of a clusterfuck international logistics are at the moment.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Les Affaires posted:

I think the votes will come from the increased unionisation mentioned earlier.

Sure, but I think Change the Rules had a far more short term goal as well, I think that's pretty unrelated to a (perhaps short term) spike in union membership in a recession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Before Times posted:

That's true, although there might actually be an increased focus on ensuring the Australian economy is more self-sufficient in terms of what it manufactures, given how much of a clusterfuck international logistics are at the moment.

There was a brief discussion of this at work, with the results being something akin to "lol"

I doubt that manufacturing will return to Australia in any big way considering the costs of labour here.