Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Have y'all considered that Bernie is sexist? Look at this insanely misogynist behavior

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/496297-sanders-not-backing-warren-as-biden-vp-report

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

yronic heroism posted:

If enthusiasm was the be all and end all Bernie woulda not got owned.

The Democratic primary election is not the general election! Looking forward to reminding people of this about a thousand more times by November

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dick Trauma posted:

The thought that anyone would rank Trump's performance higher than someone else, in any category, boggles my mind.

Doing anything is better than doing absolutely nothing.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

misadventurous posted:

The Democratic primary election is not the general election! Looking forward to reminding people of this about a thousand more times by November

I think you'll find that Biden won the key Alabama and Mississippi demographics and therefore,

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hey so this is good news:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/us/politics/ny-presidential-primary.html

Judge sez NY must hold their presidential primary with Yang & Sanders etc. on the ballot.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Araenna posted:

So like, I'm still waiting on an answer on how long i need to wait for marriage equality before i am morally ok to not vote for Dems.

No one may be answering because this is unclear. Are you using marriage equality as a hypothetical? Because the Supreme Court settled that question. Do you mean something else that goons may not be aware of when you’re using the term?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's weird that the people shilling for Biden are careful to explain (a) that they don't support him, and (b) that he will win in a landslide and he doesn't need your votes

Why shill for him then, just for fun?

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I don’t get the “hehe but Bernie” poo poo at this point. I guess the assumption is that every left-of-liberal person who criticizes how the primary went down and thinks Biden is a weak shithead is just having sour grapes about Bernie. I actually would also like Trump to lose, he’s not going to if we have shitshow primaries rife with voter suppression that spit out weak candidates who don’t actually represent the electorate.

It’s kind of hard to know what to do about it except say “ok sure, good luck” and sit back until November. Like, yeah, I have a pretty fuckin good feeling that this backwards-rear end way of electing a candidate, where you squeeze through whichever legacy douchebag and then just kinda have them wince and go “c’mon man, have you seen the other guy???” for six months, is not going to work. They came as close as they ever have to making it work in 2016, and they still beefed it at the end because their dipshit candidate couldn’t resist being smug.

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 6, 2020

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

rko posted:

Have you ever applied for Medicaid or food stamps? Do you understand how much work it takes to prove that you don’t have any money? How many hoops there are to jump through? How many inane rules exist where messing up results in having to start from the beginning, often with a months-long waiting period before you can try again?

That’s the experience of means testing for most people. That, and logging on to the good old healthcare dot gov to discover how unaffordable it is to be alive right now. Even if you are absolutely right, that the wonk thesis is correct and means testing is the most efficient way to run a welfare state, it’s a huge political loser and has resulted in some catastrophic losses across numerous elections.

Also, again, why should I have to be able to afford human rights? It’s literally something we believe is a right one receives simply by being born. Why is access to it contingent on either working or performing an increasingly silly series of antics to maintain “access” to food and shelter and healthcare?

The incredibly fun part is when you say you have a vehicle. They expect you to sell it. Because us popes totally have cars that would sell for a lot.

Are you a college student and working part time? Well in order to qualify for aid you have to be both a full-time student and work 40 hours per week.

Means testing is bullshit republican cost-saving measures to mask how hosed everything in the country is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

u brexit ukip it posted:

Hey so this is good news:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/us/politics/ny-presidential-primary.html

Judge sez NY must hold their presidential primary with Yang & Sanders etc. on the ballot.

quote:

He also called for the State Legislature in New York to meet and pass a new law vastly expanding vote-by-mail, and to use the primary as a “testing ground for an all-vote-by-mail system in New York State.”

It seems like it's only good news if that part happens if I recall recent history correctly.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PenguinKnight posted:

The incredibly fun part is when you say you have a vehicle. They expect you to sell it. Because us popes totally have cars that would sell for a lot.

Fun autocorrect!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PenguinKnight posted:

Are you a college student and working part time? Well in order to qualify for aid you have to be both a full-time student and work 40 hours per week.

Means testing is bullshit republican cost-saving measures to mask how hosed everything in the country is.

I dunno, Popemobile's gotta be at least half a mil, resale can't be THAT bad

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I can see Biden not having huge confidence because people are more being against Trump than being Pro-Biden, while Trump has that base at this point willing to go out and die for him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bobjr posted:

I can see Biden not having huge confidence because people are more being against Trump than being Pro-Biden, while Trump has that base at this point willing to go out and die for him
Yes and that went so well in 2016

I think Biden is way more confident in his chances than the people running the DNC, but I may be giving them too much credit

rko
Jul 12, 2017

PenguinKnight posted:

I’m not going to lie, watching Yronic totally ignore this reply while they continue doing their unfunny trolling is frustrating.

I probably owe my life to being able to get Medicare, something that felt incredibly difficult despite the fact that there aren’t supposed to be as many barriers to care now. How many people who don’t have the resources and education I have end up falling through the cracks and getting no help because they bounce off a system designed to discourage people from using it?

Means testing is just a complicated way to kill poor people because that’s easier than educating voters about how taxes work. gently caress the third way forever.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

bobjr posted:

To be fair, alot of joes voters were willing to go out and die for him, too. We'll have to see how many of them are still around to vote for him again in November.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

misadventurous posted:

I don’t get the “hehe but Bernie” poo poo at this point. I guess the assumption is that every left-of-liberal person who criticizes how the primary went down and thinks Biden is a weak shithead is just having sour grapes about Bernie. I actually would also like Trump to lose, he’s not going to if we have shitshow primaries rife with voter suppression that spit out weak candidates who don’t actually represent the electorate.

It’s kind of hard to know what to do about it except say “ok sure, good luck” and sit back until November. Like, yeah, I have a pretty fuckin good feeling that this backwards-rear end way of electing a candidate, where you squeeze through whichever legacy douchebag and then just kinda have them wince and go “c’mon man, have you seen the other guy???” for six months, is not going to work. They came as close as they ever have to making it work in 2016, and they still beefed it at the end because their dipshit candidate couldn’t resist being smug.

That's why I insist that Biden is a direct message to progressives rather than any kind of candidate because come on, loving everyone knows trump will slaughter him.

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

To be fair, alot of joes voters were willing to go out and die for him, too. We'll have to see how many of them are still around to vote for him again in November.

I don't think they were exactly willing since Biden was saying it's totally fine and safe

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Serious question, why should I care about Biden's platform, given that he has decades-long history of lying out his rear end? He has no credibility. So why should I believe anything he says?

Works Cited:
https://jacobinmag.com/2020/03/joe-biden-mainstream-media-lies-trust-reporting

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I said it in 2016 and I’ll say it again- the people that work at the DNC/party leadership/think tank lanyard people stand to lose so much more if someone like Bernie gets to be in charge as compared to Trump

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Y'all don't even know the loving half of it with means testing. In another life I was involved in state level public assistance appeals and let me tell you if you don't have kids and your phone fucks up during an interview for food assistance they will ban you from the program for six months without blinking an eye.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

PenguinKnight posted:

Never mind that a vehicle is practically a necessity if you’re going to find work and get out of poverty, or even get to the doctor or the grocery store to use your means-tested welfare in the first place.

These rules were invented by people who have chauffeurs driving then everywhere.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Sharkie posted:

Serious question, why should I care about Biden's platform, given that he has decades-long history of lying out his rear end? He has no credibility. So why should I believe anything he says?

Works Cited:

because the grift only works if you continue to be a willing rube

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best counter-argument to people who say vote-by-mail is more open to fraud? Not that I love arguing with strangers on the Internet but... it happens.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

PenguinKnight posted:

My good friend has coworker at her organization dedicated to helping people fill out the 15-20 page application for childcare subsidies from the state. I'm talking about after school care, a subsidy of about $75~150 per month per child, tops.

They have an accompanying checklist for every page of the application with form-entry-related reasons they've learned over time that people are declined coverage.

There's the usual means testing, yeah. You need all adults not being claimed as dependent in the household to be working or in school. Gotta have poverty-level income, etc.There are also things like "you didn't fill out the provider ID for the school your child is attending. no, we don't give that to you. go announce yourself as poor to the school by asking them for it".

One might say a private business establishing a department to proselytize aid programs and assist people in signing up for state aid is some sort of systemic success but what the gently caress is the point of a social safety net if it's not catching anyone without deliberate concentrated effort? How many people just plain don't bother signing up for child care they know they can't afford because they don't know aid exists? How many know it exists but get declined for nebulous form errors?

All of this consternation about assistance for childcare that costs less than most people's cable bills. Means testing is only for the poor. The billionaires don't even need to ask to get free money from the government.

e:

smoobles posted:

What's the best counter-argument to people who say vote-by-mail is more open to fraud? Not that I love arguing with strangers on the Internet but... it happens.

More open to fraud than electronic polling devices that leave no paper trail?

The USPS scans literally every piece of mail that goes through their service and votes are public record.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 6, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

smoobles posted:

There is literally no evidence that there has been any vote by mail fraud, or they would be shoving that in people’s faces. People do absentee ballots all the time anyway.

Plus if you do that kind of fraud you would get charged with both election fraud and mail fraud, and be looking at serious federal prison time

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

smoobles posted:

Ask them to cite some fraud cases. California has had millions of people voting by mail for years, so surely the rampant fraud must be visible enough that there are some cases they can put forward. Oregon next door has universal vote by mail so same deal there. There are of course few, if any, actual cases. Some quick googling suggests a fraud rate of about .00000001% in Oregon, which is like a dozen ballots over 20 years.

They might resort to arguing that the fraud is too clever to catch or something, but at that point you're not actually dealing with facts and it's a circular argument (there's a ton of fraud and we know there's a ton of fraud because they haven't caught the fraudsters yet!) so there's not really anywhere for the discussion to go. I guess there's an argument that mail-in-voting makes it easier for wealthy snowbirds who maintain residency in multiple states to vote in both locations, but that sort of fraud generally isn't non-white enough for them to be concerned about.

Edit: Besides, Americans by and large don't bother to vote. Honestly the problem of people trying to vote too much would be a refreshing change of pace.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 6, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I said it in 2016 and I’ll say it again- the people that work at the DNC/party leadership/think tank lanyard people stand to lose so much more if someone like Bernie gets to be in charge as compared to Trump

I strongly disagree.

Democrats are not magic and they have all the same greed that most regular humans have.

There is probably an rear end load of corruption going on except the money is going to different companies when the Democrats are in power.

I guarantee you winning this thing gets the party leader ship “bigger paychecks.”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

smoobles posted:

quote:

There is literally no evidence that there has been any vote by mail fraud, or they would be shoving that in people’s faces. People do absentee ballots all the time anyway.

Yeah, the best argument is probably just "Shut up" honestly. Electronic voting though is a fairly bad idea.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

spunkshui posted:

I strongly disagree.

Democrats are not magic and they have all the same greed that most regular humans have.

There is probably an rear end load of corruption going on except the money is going to different companies when the Democrats are in power.

I guarantee you winning this thing gets the party leader ship “bigger paychecks.”
Maybe they should start acting like they want to play politics for once

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sharkie posted:

Works Cited:

it's endlessly amusing that their best argument for Biden (ignore everything he's ever said and done in his entire career up, blindly trust the great things he says he'll do in the future starting from 5 minutes ago) applies equally well to Trump

Trump is going to promise universal healthcare again, most leftist candidate ever nominated by a major party :downs:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Ask them to cite some fraud cases. California has had millions of people voting by mail for years, so surely the rampant fraud must be visible enough that there are some cases they can put forward. Oregon next door has universal vote by mail so same deal there.

They'll just say Republicans keep losing in those states as evidence.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jesus Christ

https://twitter.com/politics_polls/status/1258046778663997444?s=21

I think that’s worse than Trump?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

If you're having this argument in a public, viewable, space, the best thing to do is just drop it. The argument itself is the point, trying to create the appearance of controversy and uncertainty. Just make some unrelated posts with your point. You're not going to convince those people because they don't give a poo poo about facts. And for spectators, they're going to walk away with "there's controversy about this issue" in their heads, rather than being convinced you're right. Just walk away.

Lmao the dems are walking into a woodchipper. Just to keep somewhat left people out of power lol.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

This poll has Biden beating Trump 47/44.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 6, 2020

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xombie posted:

This is not good news. "Within the margin of error of being tied with the guy bungling a global pandemic response" is not something to feel good about.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Xombie posted:

Biden has barely been vetted and Trump is overseeing a daily death count of 9/11 due to his own very public incompetence. That's not a comfortable margin for Biden.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xombie posted:

luckily there's precedent to look to in regards to how extremely low approval/enthusiasm combined with being considered slightly better than the opposition turns out in reality

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
It feels like people are overcompensating for 2016 and arguing loudly that Biden is 100% certain to lose even though almost all evidence so far points to him winning.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Biden has barely been vetted and Trump is overseeing a daily death count of 9/11 due to his own very public incompetence. That's not a comfortable margin for Biden.
Yes and apparently those numbers are very similar to Hillary’s four years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Epic High Five posted:

luckily there's precedent to look to in regards to how extremely low approval/enthusiasm combined with being considered slightly better than the opposition turns out in reality

The crosstab of people who hate both of them goes 40/7 for Biden