Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PhotoKirk posted:

Mission Hill was an absolute gem of a show. The Ed Wood final episode is still one of my all time favorite TV shows.

Andy vs. The Real World is a great send-up of reality TV and MTV's decline. "Say hello to my little friend" is a wonderful gag.

I like the "You will find being on the real world is a great starting place in any career" and then Puck hands her a cup of coffee. That's actually the next episode of Talking Simpsons Patreon Talking Mission Hill for next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

so i guess animated comedies have always thought there was some value in being just terrible to look at

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Gone Fashing posted:

his video about the new radicals one hit wonder song was spot on and really good though. might have even watched it for the first time thanks to this thread

This one: https://youtu.be/ZJ3FdAFXR_U

Another song that I have a soft spot for. Weren't The New Radicals in some sort of feud with Third Eye Blind or Matchbox 20?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Another song that I have a soft spot for. Weren't The New Radicals in some sort of feud with Third Eye Blind or Matchbox 20?
There were the ones who gave poo poo to Beck and Hanson, Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson. "You're all fake run to your mansions. Come around? We'll kick your rear end in!"

So yeah they didn't make a ton of friends, but honestly what sounded like a super sad story of a one-hit wonder is actually really interesting. Go watch that video.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Gone Fashing posted:

his video about the new radicals one hit wonder song was spot on and really good though. might have even watched it for the first time thanks to this thread

This one: https://youtu.be/ZJ3FdAFXR_U

remembering the brief moment in my life where my aesthetic was the guy from the new radicals

it was immediately followed by hot topic kid so it could have been worse

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mind the walrus posted:

There were the ones who gave poo poo to Beck and Hanson, Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson. "You're all fake run to your mansions. Come around? We'll kick your rear end in!"

So yeah they didn't make a ton of friends, but honestly what sounded like a super sad story of a one-hit wonder is actually really interesting. Go watch that video.

Manson only didn't like being associated with Courtney Love, he didn't care about the other part

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The one guy who was like the nexus of The New Radicals also worked with Hanson on their next album, if I remember correctly, he just used those names because they were known figures in 1999, fit the rhythm of the verse, and rhymed.

He also wanted to see if the media would talk about the first half of the verse, with the political overtones, or the second half where he just calls out random celebrities; unsurprisingly, the media yakked about the second half incessantly and never brought up the first half.

Maybe You’ve Been Brainwashed, Too is a really good power pop album. Fairly obvious there was a lot of weed smoking going on, though, at least 75% of that album is songs about wanting to be, or getting, high as gently caress.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I wasn’t paying much attention to the radio back then, but for years I thought their hit song had Todd Rundgren singing.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Him and Hall and Oates were big influences on the songwriting, funny enough, so that’s not a surprise

Like fifteen years later H&O covered “Someday We’ll Know” with Todd, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAgGyvBh9F4

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hated the New Radicals song. It just felt angsty in the worst teenage way. As if they were the first to think of poo poo that everyone else has.

Dre creep to the mic like a phantom..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDWos0xx4gc
I think its funny what they'd censor in videos back then. Like yea, they're gonna censor boobs, but the pot leaf on snoops hat. Yea some kid is gonna see that and go out and commit armed robbery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAEXUyGM94
When people talk about NWA they mostly talk about Straight Outta Compton or Hundred Miles And Running, but the last album was really solid and is pretty much the blueprint for every Gangsta Rap album to come out in the decade.

Man 3rd Base came out the same year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzXI_ApY4dY

They're on such different wavelengths but there was no way they were going to survive in the harder, more raw rap and hip hop. Kinda funny how they mock Vanilla Ice in the video because I'm sure to G Funk fans they were basically the same.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

I hated the New Radicals song. It just felt angsty in the worst teenage way. As if they were the first to think of poo poo that everyone else has.

Dre creep to the mic like a phantom..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDWos0xx4gc
I think its funny what they'd censor in videos back then. Like yea, they're gonna censor boobs, but the pot leaf on snoops hat. Yea some kid is gonna see that and go out and commit armed robbery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAEXUyGM94
When people talk about NWA they mostly talk about Straight Outta Compton or Hundred Miles And Running, but the last album was really solid and is pretty much the blueprint for every Gangsta Rap album to come out in the decade.

Man 3rd Base came out the same year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzXI_ApY4dY

They're on such different wavelengths but there was no way they were going to survive in the harder, more raw rap and hip hop. Kinda funny how they mock Vanilla Ice in the video because I'm sure to G Funk fans they were basically the same.

G thang is still hot as hell. I actually found I like Efil4zaggin a lot better than Straight Outta Compton, but I'm a white guy so.....

And speaking of white guys, gently caress third bass. Lame rear end bitches.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, I remember reading about that and the part where manson didn't like being named beside courtney love, but didn't care otherwise.

Maybe it was Smashmouth and another band? gently caress, its been bugging me for a while.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

wesleywillis posted:

you've just earned yourself the gas face.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
MC Serch gets the gas face for hosting the White Rapper Show on VH1.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Bloopsy posted:

AAAAAAHHHH

this suuuucks. why did this have to exist?

i was happier a few minutes ago.
:argh:

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Gomi Day posted:

AAAAAAHHHH

this suuuucks. why did this have to exist?

i was happier a few minutes ago.
:argh:

At least you didn't watch every episode when it came out like I did. Ughhh....

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

THIS IS NOT A GAME

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

wesleywillis posted:

G thang is still hot as hell. I actually found I like Efil4zaggin a lot better than Straight Outta Compton, but I'm a white guy so.....

Yeah, I remember reading about that and the part where manson didn't like being named beside courtney love, but didn't care otherwise.

Maybe it was Smashmouth and another band? gently caress, its been bugging me for a while.

Yea, all that early 90s west coast poo poo still slaps. Its got these smooth beats and the rhymes flow so well. As busta rhymes said "head nod poo poo to break yo neck". Doggystyle still rules too.

I always though that 3rd Bass was pretty respected. I mean they're not House of Pain.

No one likes Courtney Love in music. There's literally a whole genre of songs about Courtney Love
Trash theory has a video about it
https://youtu.be/KuBAWdz2aoU
That reminds me about a girl i was dating in 1999, I was at her place and we were looking at her cds and I said "No Tori Amos?" and she said "What? Do you think i'm a lesbian?", which was the first time I had heard the connection between liking Tori Amos and being a lesbian. Was that a thing?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not in any respectable circles, but there was definitely a retrograde perception that Amos and "Lilith Fair" stuff was "for lesbians" because they were overall very LGBTQ-friendly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mind the walrus posted:

Not in any respectable circles, but there was definitely a retrograde perception that Amos and "Lilith Fair" stuff was "for lesbians" because they were overall very LGBTQ-friendly.

Ooh ya, that's right. Birkenstocks were also part of that.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, all that early 90s west coast poo poo still slaps. Its got these smooth beats and the rhymes flow so well. As busta rhymes said "head nod poo poo to break yo neck". Doggystyle still rules too.

I always though that 3rd Bass was pretty respected. I mean they're not House of Pain.

No one likes Courtney Love in music. There's literally a whole genre of songs about Courtney Love
Trash theory has a video about it
https://youtu.be/KuBAWdz2aoU
That reminds me about a girl i was dating in 1999, I was at her place and we were looking at her cds and I said "No Tori Amos?" and she said "What? Do you think i'm a lesbian?", which was the first time I had heard the connection between liking Tori Amos and being a lesbian. Was that a thing?

I’m just watching this and never was a conspiracy theorist about Courtney other than she maybe was either given or took some lyrics Kurdt had written but lol

Starducker

Trent said Courtney had hit on him and just splayed herself naked at lolapalooza and he did a 180 out of the room/tent

And she was famous for saying Billy Corgan had a bigger dick than Cobain because?

She’s a hot mess but I like seeing Tori and Dave Grohl being chill here.

All I can say is this would make a great episode of Melrose Place.

E: video goes on Trent and Courtney hooked up? poo poo I’m out of the loop on 90s gossip

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 06:35 on May 6, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

No one likes Courtney Love in music.
Everyone blamed her for Kurt going down the drain with drugs or something.

And just in time for everyone to forget or move on, Francis Bean grew up and called her a terrible mom.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
A lot of anti-Courtney stuff is clearly misogyny, but also she’s in Epstein’s black book, and there’s been murmurings of her helping provide his enterprise with young girls. Even if that’s pure fantasy everyone in that book is suspect as gently caress

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Courtney Love is basically the woman in Pulp’s “Common People”

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Ambitious Spider posted:

A lot of anti-Courtney stuff is clearly misogyny, but also she’s in Epstein’s black book, and there’s been murmurings of her helping provide his enterprise with young girls. Even if that’s pure fantasy everyone in that book is suspect as gently caress

She blasted her husband in the face with a shotgun. Sorry if that sounds misogynistic.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mind the walrus posted:

I figure it's more because feminism = you hate men = lesbian.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ambitious Spider posted:

A bit odd considering she warned people about Harvey Weinstein.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

I figure it's more because feminism = you hate men = lesbian.
I was saying that euphemistically.

TITANKISSER69 posted:

A bit odd considering she warned people about Harvey Weinstein.
I would bet money he was involved on some level with her movie career flaming out so she was being petty.

Ambitious Spider posted:

A lot of anti-Courtney stuff is clearly misogyny
I remember some of the slams on her drifted to that territory "She's the Ho from Hole," but honestly I never got the impression it was because she was a woman. It was because she was an obvious leech, even though almost paradoxically she's not a terrible actress.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
https://twitter.com/pori64/status/1256376209602154497?s=21

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ferrule posted:

She blasted her husband in the face with a shotgun. Sorry if that sounds misogynistic.

Yeah she was in a different state.

Or was she?

And I've probably seen all the movies about this :smuggo:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Supposedly Courtney love tried to get El Duce (This guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldon_Hoke) to kill him.

Don't know how true that poo poo is. Just what I've heard.

Bloopsy posted:

He's called in to the Howard Stern show a few times over the last year or so, and seems to get kinda pissed that nobody really knows who he is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I loving hate the Kurt Cobain conspiracy theory because it's been carefully explained how it's obvious bullshit but otherwise normal people leap on it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

I loving hate the Kurt Cobain conspiracy theory because it's been carefully explained how it's obvious bullshit but otherwise normal people leap on it.

Hey, it brought me hours of entertainment on Seattle Public Access, with "Now See it Person to Person with Richard Lee."

I've probably mentioned it before, but it broke some dude with a public access show's brain. Every week there was an hour slot where this dude would fill a lot of time with movie clips, or video of him harassing Dave Grohl. Followed by about 20 him giving his update on his personal conspiracy theory. One time he shared an answering machine message from Courtney Love telling him to knock it the gently caress off.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhwdydtJBCA

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Iron Crowned posted:

I've probably mentioned it before, but it broke some dude with a public access show's brain.

I didn't realize Kurt had a public access show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Because the switchover happened in the 90s, i'll ask in this thread, when did you switch from tapes to cds? I was buying tapes pretty late into the decade I remember, as up until at least 97 i only had a cassette player stereo. I had to check when my stereo was first released and it was 1997 so that's the earliest i had my own CD player. And I remember Xmas 2000 was when I bought a discman on boxing day.

I feel pretty late to adopt Cds.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, that's pretty late. I switched over in ~1992 (REM's Out of Time was my first CD, also listened to a ton of Annie Lennox's Walking on Broken Glass single and Nirvana's Nevermind)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
My family had been buying CDs for the home stereo in the early 90s, if not earlier, but tapes definitely were still being bought in the late 90s, if not the early 00s, because all the cars still had tape players. We didn’t get our first car with a CD player until 2002 or 2003 and it was really at that point that the tapes mostly disappeared.

There was very much a period in the late 90s where our home stereo had CD, tape, and vinyl all set up (My dad has maintained his sizable record collection since the early 70s), and I very much recall making mixes on cassettes from CDs for stuff we wanted to listen to in the car. I think I still have the case from one of them in a box somewhere...

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 05:10 on May 8, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

twistedmentat posted:

it was 1997 so that's the earliest i had my own CD player.

About the same timeline here, if not even later. My family was still fairly fresh off the boat, money was tight, and CDs were freaking expensive. It did spare me from amassing some huge CD collection because Napster and my college's internet bandwidth were right around the corner.

Now it's more than 20 years later and I'm... buying vinyl???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

twistedmentat posted:

Ooh ya, that's right. Birkenstocks were also part of that.

Amos, Ani Difranco and The Indigo Girls kind of formed the triumvirate of stereotypical lesbian music taste. Amos tended to be coy about her preferences but certain things could be read into her songs and Difranco and The Indigo Girls were out and proud at a time that was a rarity, so all three tended to draw a lot of interest from people that identifies with them.