Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I clipped through the corner
My ship has a dong light
Stuck in Crobber’s prison
Trying to reset my view
And I don’t know if I can do it
Oh no! I pledged too much
I haven’t pledged enough
I thought that I heard goons laughing
I thought that I heard them say
Derek Smart was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
unmute to learn the terrible secret of space

https://i.imgur.com/HmvxHr8.mp4

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

pokie posted:

Legal reality is always so dull :/.
I am itching for a tell all book from Ben or whoever.

"Star Citizen, the real story" by Ben Lesnick

Chapter 1: The origins of Wing Commander.
Chapter 2: The development of Wing Commander
Chapter 14: Wing Commander, the animated series
Chapter 28: Forgotten Ukrainian magazines of the 90s and their WC coverage

On unrelated WC news:

quote:

This has been a really good year for space toilets. AD managed to screen cap some really good shots of the toilets in the Wing Commander Movie a couple months back, and now LOAF has discovered the Wing Commander Academy equivalent. Or rather, since this is Damon Karnes' holding cell from the episode The Last One Left, these are borderline space holes-in-the-ground. He recently got ahold of a concept art piece which shows a pair of basins at the foot of their cell beds. From this angle, their purpose seems fairly obvious. They're actually pictured in the episode itself, but with all the other action going on, nobody has ever called these out as far as we can tell. Now you know!

This is a Wing Commander Academy concept painting. These were done in the US as reference for animators in Japan and Korea painting the production backgrounds. It's from The Last One Left and reveals the pirate prison has space toilets I would never have noticed!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 6, 2020

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Ben Lesnick, Developer.

Tane.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

...follow the drat train, CJ!

Grove Street...

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

There we go - Dawn of War was just about perfect in terms of pacing, at least for a game focused overwhelmingly on the combat itself. The bases were rather anemic and served more as troop unlocks than an actual defensible structure, but for the genre I feel it still hasn't been topped.

I'd kill for a similar game that went just a little bit the other way - more base focus, with walls/turrets/defense structures, but which lets you take your time building up and out. I think I might need to revisit Age of Empires at this point, I seem to remember that being a well-paced builder.

Just in case you didn't know, they remastered AoE2 for modern machines.

Choppa!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I'm waiting for the re-re-remaster of Star Citizen thanks.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Kosumo posted:

I'm waiting for the re-re-remaster of Star Citizen thanks.

I want a Star Citizen 2 done in Unity. So you need 64GB Ram minimum cause the engine is already leaking like hell plus the magical CIG code layered on top.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Thoatse posted:

garbage art a drunk 4th grader could produce but succssfuly conned influencer idiots in the art scene into paying millions of dollars for it

So... modern art basically...

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

What if Star Citizen is just a Banksy piece. When the funding reaches a billion dollars SC will go into a shedder.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

lobsterminator posted:

What if Star Citizen is just a Banksy piece. When the funding reaches a billion dollars SC will go into a shedder.

Please don't doxx Banksy aka Chris Roberts ..... I just hosed that up didn't I - I doxxed him myself - that means only one thing ..... I am Derek Smartacus

Can't wait for Banksy "it is a sexy bear" painting on the side of Buckingham Palace.

:iiasb:

Your Majesty, The Queen, please, buy an Idris.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

lobsterminator posted:

It would maybe even work better if it went through shredder

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

commando in tophat posted:

It would maybe even work better if it went through shredder

The Hairy Roberts would make more sense if it were a shedder.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I wonder what's the comments section like in the ol' Kickstarter these days.

aBacker posted:

Last update April 6th 2013.

anotherBacker posted:

Estimated delivery, November 2014.

yetAnotherBacker posted:

Estimated delivery Nov 2014

aBackerWhoIsBackAgain posted:

I am back again to remind anyone that it has been years and neither game has been released or have an ETA. It is still all a scam and RSI screwed over their Kickstarter backers and Kickstarter did nothing about I.

aBackerWhoJustThinks posted:

Just think.

If Chris had just delivered the Wing Commander he promised, we could have had a couple of solid expansions like the old days of secret missions etc. Maybe one free for the Kickstarter backers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/comments

:tif:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3QfmXZ9M7k

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Store Citizer kickstarter page posted:

Reclaim the stars in the exciting new Space Epic from legendary game designer Chris Roberts.

Created by
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Colostomy Bag posted:

There was a video they posted years ago where they gave a tour and showed the QA department. It was literally like 4-6 people.

A lot, a LOT of the QA staff left in the last year in the UK offices.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

lobsterminator posted:

what if CR watched Westworld and the whole game is just cover-up for some advanced secret research on how to transfer money from backer wallets to Cayman Islands bank accounts

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: 200,000 Citizens In /r/starcitizen Celebration + Giveaway

Hey /r/starcitizen,

The subreddit is growing like crazy, and recently we have passed 200k subscribers! It has been a pleasure over the years seeing the community grow and getting to know so many cool people because of the BDSSE. Here’s to many more years of great content, great community, and great fun!

Thanks to the generosity of CIG’s awesome community team, we are able to give an Esperia Prowler away to the community to celebrate 200k subscribers! To enter the giveaway simply post a top-level comment on this post with the following:

- A cool Star Citizen related memory or something you love about the community. :v:
- A link to your RSI profile page.

To qualify your Reddit account needs to be created before today (5/5/2020). Only top-level qualifying comments will be counted for the raffle. After one week, we will randomly select one of the comments and announce the winner.

:gary:

CIG continuing giving away those $400 ships like they have with the streamers. It's almost like the ships are actually worthless :wink: :trustme:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quavers posted:

Only top-level qualifying comments will be counted for the raffle. After one week, we will randomly select one of the comments and announce the winner.[/i]

Translation: We'll give stuff to the most arse-licking post. No randomness will probably happen, either.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
it is shapcaps time to shine

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spuckuk posted:

A lot, a LOT of the QA staff left in the last year in the UK offices.

Don’t know what they’ve been doing for the past seven years. Not Assuring Quality.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:reddit: I'd like my account back, pretty please

quote:

Let me tell you a story(of poor customer support...)

Back in 2013(mind you, its been a long time) I decided to support the game and bought what was the Digital Mercenary pack.
Time passed...a lot of it...
Eventually, a few years back, I added an authenticator token to my account, so far so good.

Skip forward to 2020. I've moved from Austria to Bulgaria and it's Corona lockdown and i'm thinking to myself, hey, why not pick up star citizen again and see what the current state of affairs is(havent touched the game in years at this point).
Try to login and ofc it asks for the authenticator code which I dont have since I canned the phone I had it setup on years ago.

No biggie I think to myself, just get in touch with support, provide some proof that I am I and all will be good...or you would think.

The only thing I get back from support is that there is "fraudulent activity" on my account. Now I do know a thing about IT security, after all, its what I do for a living, and so I think to myself, the account had 2FA setup...how would anyone gain access to it. Conclusion, since im in a different country now they think it isnt me.

The clue here is, they tell me the account is under investigation(as i said, that was 3 weeks ago...). And also, I cannot really get in touch with support anymore since they now locked my goddamn account and I cant even look at the support ticket in question. I did respond to the e-mail(which said it would get added to the support request if I respond) but never got a reply back that the support request was updated and as i said, i also cannot view the support request since the account is locked out(genius mechanic there fellas, really, give a medal to the person that came up with that idea).

So now im sitting here with an account I cant use(but paid for), utter silence from customer support and no real means of getting in touch with them either.

pardon my french here but gently caress...that...poo poo ...

:smug: As a security professional, I think you'd appreciate that they make it difficult for an outsider to gather information on your account.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

it is shapcaps time to shine

has anyone said shatcrap yet?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:reddit: Why are we getting hunger and thirst when our ships' dining areas are still nonfunctional?

quote:

It seems like a lot of people are against the inclusion of hunger and thirst mechanics, and while I understand why, I'm pretty neutral towards it. What I can't understand is why it's being added before fully functioning inventories, and while our ships' dining areas are still just placeholder decorations.

:pseudo: Because its ready now, just letting functionality sit unused is a bad idea, this way they can test it out properly together with stores now and keep the functionality maintained as they add new functionality.

It's also probably needed for Squadron 42, its a system that will also be used by AI.

I believe being able to deck out our ships is coming, if you look at the latest cargo deck work. It also probably relies on iCache, which should be in its latter stages of development now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

his nibs posted:

has anyone said shatcrap yet?

No one has to

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Asmodai_00 posted:

:reddit: Why are we getting hunger and thirst when our ships' dining areas are still nonfunctional?

:pseudo: Because its ready now, just letting functionality sit unused is a bad idea, this way they can test it out properly together with stores now and keep the functionality maintained as they add new functionality.

It's also probably needed for Squadron 42, its a system that will also be used by AI.

I believe being able to deck out our ships is coming, if you look at the latest cargo deck work. It also probably relies on iCache, which should be in its latter stages of development now.

pictured: iCache being released

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Asmodai_00 posted:

:smug: As a security professional, I think you'd appreciate that they make it difficult for an outsider to gather information on your account.

As a security professional, having a secure channel to query account issues is actually one of the corner stones of authentication systems.

Asmodai_00 posted:

It also probably relies on iCache, which should be in its latter stages of development now.[/i]

We're definitely into the last decade of development. Nobody bookmark this.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hav posted:

Don’t know what they’ve been doing for the past seven years. Not Assuring Quality.

My mate worked there until June last year. Plenty of bugs get filed, the backlog is just so immense and the project so hosed that stuff won't get actioned.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

No one has to

:barf:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: PSA: Stay away from the game until they fix the gamebreaking bugs. Your account degrades over time.

Don't make the same mistake I did: sinking more and more hours hoping the hotfixes and promises of a fix would help.

Don't play until 3.9.1 and community confirmation that the game is fixed.

Otherwise, the consequences for you will certainly be the same as they have been for me:

- I now have 5 duplicate Sabres and 4 Duplicate Cutlasses. One of each is usable.
- I am missing 1 million+ worth of components (each of my 5 resets has deleted all componentry)
- Two out of four hardpoints on my Cutlass no longer exist. The remaining two cannot be customised.
- I typically go 0-2 hours before I need a Character Reset in order to continue playing.
- But most importantly, my account has gotten perpetually worse each time I've been forced to Reset.

The game is now unplayable for me immediately following a Character Reset.

Stay away, don't risk your account being corrupted like mine.
Personally I'll be waiting until the next patch to see if that resolves anything and then filing a ticket. IDK what they can possibly do though. In the meantime I've made a number of Issue Council posts and twice as many contributions. Hopefully we get this sorted soon.

:laffo::perfect:

Some replies:

:( It's a pretty mixed bag, for some it's fine, for some it's a disaster.

:reddit: I'm firmly in the latter and deeply jealous of the former. I'm convinced it's to do with some bug from LTP, resulting in playerfile corruption. And if they could truly delete my character and reset me properly - i'd gladly test my hypothesis myself. As it stands I've lost more than I've ever gained before in a single quarter. Was really hoping to bang out some quality issue council posts this "season". But instead they're mostly basic,

:marc: My only suggestion is to have a variety of other games to play regularly, enough star citizen on its own can actually drive a person nuts.

:nyd: My first spawn after reinstalling left me naked and unable to use anything, pretty lovely that cig released this when it clearly needed a couple weeks more ptu

Quavers fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 6, 2020

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

:five:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Quavers posted:

:reddit: PSA: Stay away from the game until they fix the gamebreaking bugs. Your account degrades over time.

Don't make the same mistake I did: sinking more and more hours hoping the hotfixes and promises of a fix would help.

Don't play until 3.9.1 and community confirmation that the game is fixed.

Otherwise, the consequences for you will certainly be the same as they have been for me:

- I now have 5 duplicate Sabres and 4 Duplicate Cutlasses. One of each is usable.
- I am missing 1 million+ worth of components (each of my 5 resets has deleted all componentry)
- Two out of four hardpoints on my Cutlass no longer exist. The remaining two cannot be customised.
- I typically go 0-2 hours before I need a Character Reset in order to continue playing.
- But most importantly, my account has gotten perpetually worse each time I've been forced to Reset.

The game is now unplayable for me immediately following a Character Reset.

Stay away, don't risk your account being corrupted like mine.
Personally I'll be waiting until the next patch to see if that resolves anything and then filing a ticket. IDK what they can possibly do though. In the meantime I've made a number of Issue Council posts and twice as many contributions. Hopefully we get this sorted soon.

:laffo::perfect:

What if they can't fix it :ohdear: What if it just gets worse and worse, until accounts, servers, everything just stops working.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spuckuk posted:

My mate worked there until June last year. Plenty of bugs get filed, the backlog is just so immense and the project so hosed that stuff won't get actioned.

That's why you need regular bug wipes, to give a more positive feeling to the people working. The bugs are either there or they aren't; the reports will be back.

I'm only half joking. Our backlog has poo poo going back three years.

Xakura posted:

What if they can't fix it :ohdear: What if it just gets worse and worse, until accounts, servers, everything just stops working.

They'll bring Ben back to scoop out some of that database smeg.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Spuckuk posted:

Good on your mate getting out of there. Any good gossip?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Quavers posted:

Good on your mate getting out of there. Any good gossip?

Nothing the thread doesn't really know already.

-Chris shoves his nose into everything and fucks it up on the regular.

-Big exodus of talent leading to 22 year old 'leads'

-poo poo wages

-Citizencon demos were extremely tightly controlled and still fell apart constantly, they took weeks out of production to glue together each time.

He's personally convinced it will never be released in a playable form, and hell, same.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Spuckuk posted:

Nothing the thread doesn't really know already.

-Chris shoves his nose into everything and fucks it up on the regular.

-Big exodus of talent leading to 22 year old 'leads'

-poo poo wages

-Citizencon demos were extremely tightly controlled and still fell apart constantly, they took weeks out of production to glue together each time.

He's personally convinced it will never be released in a playable form, and hell, same.

Do you know was your mate working on Sq42 or SC, or both? Am seeking clarity on which is expected to never be released in a playable form.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Can't believe we're finally getting an Event Horizon game..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

In other space game news:

Skywanderers got rename to "Starship EVO" and is now heading to early access. For a singe-dev kickstarter game, this one's got a lot of very impressive features and a very nice minecraft 2.0 aesthetic and mechanic set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMm-unFteM

Please excuse the dev for his extremely heavy French accent and Roberts-esque tendency to just kind of stammer-babble; He's actually a really brilliant coder. The video itself is very cool and the game looks like it is substantially more mechanically complete in terms of ship design and physics than Star Citizen.

E: Actually this recent trailer's probably better than watching a devlog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fY5FbaAlNs

drat, I will buy this just to try and recreate the SC ships in that, the building itself looks amazing.