Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

the hell is Arkansas doing right? Or did they just have a big blowup several weeks ago?

We had very, very few cases when the governor order restaurants, stores, government buildings, etc. to move to delivery/curbside only. Pretty much all the big offices for companies across the state closed their offices very early. Most parks or any public spaces were closed very early. We have very little public transit outside of NWA and Little Rock. Very few initial cases + very spread out population + very little outside/public contact = little to no growth.

The state health department also did a lot of proactive quarantining of individuals and follow-up calls in the early days. There was a coworker of mine who was in New York around the first week of March. She got sick the weekend after she got back and her doctor reported it as a possible case to the state health department and they asked her to quarantine immediately. This was before we even had a case or tests. Another coworker took his wife to the doctor in the second week of March for flu-like symptoms (again before we had a case) and he received a call from the health department later that day asking him a lot of questions and recommending he quarantine.

Most of our cases have been in nursing homes or hospitals. There were two big clusters early on in Central Arkansas: one was some international students at a university that all got tracked, traced, and quarantined. The other was completely related to church stupidity. Some pastor who knew he was sick had a service and got his whole congregation sick. He or someone on his staff had recently traveled from an outside hotspot and basically ignored any quarantining or anything and infected a large number of people. Early on you could trace more than 50% of the cases to that source.

We have had testing shortages and other stuff that has come up that has impeded testing. Outside of good early control and relatively quick shutdown we haven't really done anything remarkably "right." We just won the lottery of very few people had brought it in by the time we started the lockdown. If just a few more people had caught it out of state that worked for WM, JB Hunt, or Tyson corporate offices and the offices had stayed open a few more days, we probably would have had a massive outbreak that ravaged Northwest Arkansas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

eric ciaramella posted:

Get. That. Corn.

Corn is all encompassing

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Relevant Tangent posted:

how many generations living in the same place before your mystical ties to the land and legit claim to the land are established

Gotta be forty to fifty at least.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

the hell is Arkansas doing right? Or did they just have a big blowup several weeks ago?

MN is where they’re having all of those protests right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

whatever the US has is not going to survive it either.

hard to figure how it’s not

trump is going to coast to a re-election

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There is a not-insignificant proportion of Americans waiting for any kind of civil unrest so they can take their adult legoes and murder the guy across the street who blocked their driveway once.

Liberals and leftists both going "Oh man a civil war might happen soon." Meanwhile nazis are storming government buildings with automatic rifles and killing people who dare tell them to wear a mask.

But yeah. Maybe a war will start sometime in the future.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

euphronius posted:

I had to eat chicken thighs last week it was horrible

Chicken thighs are the cut I get when I actually buy chicken, it's the most flavorful cut imo, especially with the bones

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

euphronius posted:

I had to eat chicken thighs last week it was horrible

you did it wrong, the dark meat is the best part

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Rock My Socks! posted:

Meatpacking plants I think

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rock My Socks! posted:

i think all the big protests have been in michigan

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

euphronius posted:

hard to figure how it’s not

trump is going to coast to a re-election

elections aren’t going to play into it.

Scale is tough to appreciate here. 30% jobless is what, 48 million unemployed Americans? maybe more?

That’s the population of the entirety of the American South, or the entire population of the northeast.

You can throw out all historical analysis when we reach that point. Nothing after the Civil War even begins to come close.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://twitter.com/covidperspectiv/status/1258059927337103360?s=21

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

“What are you going to do, fine me?”, says woman who was fined

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jay-V posted:

if we're being honest, are they not one and the same?

What a lovely joke

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Scale is tough to appreciate here. 30% jobless is what, 48 million unemployed Americans? maybe more?

That’s the population of the entirety of the American South, or the entire population of the northeast.

You can throw out all historical analysis when we reach that point. Nothing after the Civil War even begins to come close.

if they continue unemployment until November the impact will be mitigated

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Have you considered that nothing matters, we live in hell, and that acting like we aren't is collaborating with our all-powerful demon captors?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

whatever the US has is not going to survive it either.

What is the history of cultures with a lot of slaves, and their food shortages.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gripweed posted:

They cranked up the price on insulin literally 1000 percent and Americans were just like, guess I'll die!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

i think all the big protests have been in michigan

Michigan's are the most publicized but we've had some too.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

lmfao

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Thanks. If you sort the worldometers page by tests/1m ark is about halfway down the list. Not the best but not the worst either. And deaths/1m they are like top 10 (in the good way)

Unless I'm a giant idiot and there are piles of bodies that dies of some ~unknown respiratory illness~

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1258029134003032064?s=20

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

euphronius posted:

if they continue unemployment until November the impact will be mitigated

Good thing they're pushing "reopening" specifically as a means to deny people unemployment because their job is technically available if you want to die of the plague instead.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
American unemployment is inadequate to address that.

And it’s not like an American presidential administration has made the absolute wrong choice at a critical crossroads in American history.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Have you considered that nothing matters, we live in hell, and that acting like we aren't is collaborating with our all-powerful demon captors?

I never said it would be good, or better. But it will be different.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

lmao I went to the store yesterday - lunch meat section was empty - $15 tiny cuts of steak were stacked to the ceiling

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I never said it would be good, or better. But it will be different.
I was being facetious

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

toilet paper was out of stock :shrug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

unemployment can be extended for ever

you are right tho that “opening up “ may be at counter purposes

I guess we will se what the state courts think about having to go to work in an pandemic and if that is reasonable

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

I guess we will se what the state courts think about having to go to work in an pandemic and if that is reasonable

If unemployment benefits continue, number will go down.

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

They’ll find a way to do what the Wisconsin Supreme Court did

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm not sure what's happening in my state (MN) lol as we're still under a pretty strict closure through mid-May. And most people here are antisocial as gently caress

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

actionjackson posted:

I'm not sure what's happening in my state (MN) lol as we're still under a pretty strict closure through mid-May. And most people here are antisocial as gently caress

Its being led by St Cloud and like Eden Prairie or something.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Rhetoric-o-Tron
Jan 5, 2009

by Pragmatica

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Bad news, the big tough guys with guns are just going to come to your house and take your beans

If you pull up his Reddit profile, I like the part where he's talking about how excited he is that the contractor just came out to determine where his backyard pool is going to be.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Its being led by St Cloud and like Eden Prairie or something.

I just realized it's net change in cases, which is stupid because it doesn't account for the denominator (number of tests done). But most people suck rear end understanding data

Apr 7, 2003

Rhetoric-o-Tron posted:

If you pull up his Reddit profile, I like the part where he's talking about how excited he is that the contractor just came out to determine where his backyard pool is going to be.

With very few exceptions, every single reopen nut on that sub is a small business brain genius who is mad he can’t send his employees out into the plaguelands to line his pockets.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

As always the answer is to turn to Allah.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
lol I missed "burguer" the first 5 times and now I can't stop laughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

C-Euro posted:

I'm very excited to get to WFH for what I assume will be the rest of the year at this point.

I hope I didn't leave anything important or perishable on my desk.

I had to stop in to the office today to sign something (the place is empty and they are mandating masks for anyone who does come in) and found a mummified clementine on my desk. Woops.