Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That poo poo head O’Keefe is trying to do some bullshit with CBS News.

What, is he going to say CBS is "biased against the President?"

Isn't that pretty much established in GOP headcanon anyway? :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

huh you don't say governor

https://twitter.com/wabenews/status/1258054325835792386

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

TulliusCicero posted:

What, is he going to say CBS is "biased against the President?"

Isn't that pretty much established in GOP headcanon anyway? :rolleyes:

Funding the lie that hospitals are slammed and that doctors have been told to say this is bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We're definitely whipping back around to "the virus is a hoax" now that they're pushing to open everything up and preparing for the numbers to go back up. So now they need to get ahead of it so in 2 weeks when the numbers increase they're all "we told you they would because its all fake". Its bad.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Oh god I can't stop laughing...

https://twitter.com/cspanJeremy/status/1258076164234579969

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is there some kind of perfect metaphor out there for how degraded the judicial system has become?

There we go.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

evilweasel posted:

online learning is loving worthless

and even if it wasn't, if you think that parents will tolerate their kids being taught online instead of going to school so they are out of the house you do not spend a lot of time around parents

Decision makers (old people) don't give a poo poo about parents, that's why we don't have widespread public preK or day care.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Every Trump apointee is terrible but goddamn do I despise Devos

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1258057461245804545

as someone who works in higher ed many of these changes are actually good, and the ones that are bad (really the witness cross-examination piece) can easily be fixed by a Dem DOE in a few months. I also 100% believe that universities have no place trying to create a separate internal, quasi-legal judicial system to handle complaints and the solution to this reform of campus policing systems, not doubling down on a bad system and trying to make it better.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
where's the rest of the 9-14 flushes?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

as someone who works in higher ed many of these changes are actually good, and the ones that are bad (really the witness cross-examination piece) can easily be fixed by a Dem DOE in a few months. I also 100% believe that universities have no place trying to create a separate internal, quasi-legal judicial system to handle complaints and the solution to this reform of campus policing systems, not doubling down on a bad system and trying to make it better.
This is designed to deter students from reporting rape. And then even if they do, it is designed to either humiliate them, or stack the deck against the accuser’s case.

I have a very close family member that went through this process in the early 2000s and it still affects her today

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
My boss literally just said she likes the idea of calling hazard pay "recognition pay" because it's not like they're actually exposing workers to hazard and I'm just in awe of this country

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

than close down rear end in a top hat. not enough places are opening anyway to save the economy their because the owners dont want to infect their customers.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I see USPOL has started its State Legislature LP
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheoKeith/status/1258080775305596928

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Random Stranger posted:

Is there some kind of perfect metaphor out there for how degraded the judicial system has become?

There we go.

Hey, you try teaching nine 50-80 year olds to use the mute button.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is designed to deter students from reporting rape. And then even if they do, it is designed to either humiliate them, or stack the deck against the accuser’s case.

I have a very close family member that went through this process in the early 2000s and it still affects her today

yes the witness cross examination piece is bad, as I posted, but many of these changes are good because they clarify the process which is important because right now - and ever since about 2012 - colleges are operating in a weird undefined grey zone where they have to have a title ix adjudication process (requiring them to spend millions of dollars hiring people with a legal background, including investigators and counsel) as a secondary, non-criminal internal judicial system, but theres little in the way of specific guidance on how this process should work. a process that doesn't presume guilt and has a a clear evidentiary standard (which colleges can choose) is good, although again the real goal should be not having colleges litigate this type of thing in the first place.

also its important to note that none of this was in place in the early 2000s and all of these changes are a result of changing guidance under Obama's DoE (the infamous Dear Colleague letter, which you can read here https://www2.ed.gov/print/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201104.html)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Paradoxish posted:

To be fair (and the article points this out), a lot of the issue with people working remotely right now is that companies are just really loving bad at it.

I'm a contractor and I've been full-time remote for years. I've also been working for two of the same big clients for a while, and my productivity has tanked since they've sent their employees home. It's not because they're trying to squeeze more out of me, it's because most of them have no idea what they're doing and I waste crazy amounts of time in meetings now. My girlfriend's school district is scheduling like 4+ hours of Zoom meetings for administrators per day, which means she ends up working 4+ hours longer than usual to get actual work done. It's not like they're extracting more work out of her, they're just wasting everyone's time.

I've been full-time remote for almost a decade now and everyone on the rest of my project team went through one gently caress of a culture shock the moment they all had to also WFH full-time. I've had to spend the last couple weeks ruling with an iron fist over not scheduling meetings just because you're loving bored and want a captive audience to help you write an email, Larry.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So as near as I can tell here in Florida, our plan for COVID 19 is basically "well, quarantine, shut down and safe at home is just too hard so 'gently caress it', we're just gonna pretend this thing doesn't exist."

Very few people are masking up and I'm already noticing an increase in traffic, human and vehicular. Aren't we just going to have a huge spike, the overrun hospitals we all feared, more cases and deaths, etc. etc.?

Near as I can tell the whole country is just not up to the challenge. What was the point of the shutdowns if we weren't going to follow through?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just keep repeating to myself "My wife is fully tenured. My wife is fully tenured"

Man, good luck. Ohio University just laid off a bunch of tenured staff under some weird technicality and I can't imagine that more schools aren't looking to do the same if they can swing it.

evilweasel posted:

online learning is loving worthless

and even if it wasn't, if you think that parents will tolerate their kids being taught online instead of going to school so they are out of the house you do not spend a lot of time around parents

As both a parent and someone who just spent an entire semester wrangling two courses through the transition to online learning it is adorable to me that you think there's going to be any sort of meaningful choice for anyone who isn't solidly upper middle class or outright rich.

Here is what your choices are going to look like:

posted:

- send your kid to the nearest physical school (which might require significant busing if your neighborhood school gets shut down for lack of funding) where they are dealing with a lack of resources, demoralized and overworked teachers, and overcrowded classrooms

OR

- sign up for the shiny new online teaching option, which comes with a free or subsidized laptop/tablet for your kid, and possibly 1-2 days a week the kid's will meet up at a facility to do whatever bare minimum physical education the curriculum requires. Their teacher will coordinate some sort of meet up/play date on the weekends a couple times a month on their own time and for no extra pay.

Is your kid college aged?

- they can go to the college that holds mostly in-person classes, but has dilapidated buildings and poor service offerings

OR

- they can go to the university that holds most online courses but has nice fancy new dorms and facilities (social distancing friendly!) for that full college experience, and plus companies want workers who graduate already knowing how to handle remote operations and this means they can finish their degree in 2-3 years instead of 4 if they really apply themselves.

Tuition is the same at both schools, the courses are mostly taught by underpaid overworked adjuncts. Textbooks still cost hundreds of dollars per semester but now you're only purchasing the rights to access the e-book version a semester at a time.

This isn't going to happen tomorrow of course - it will start slow and in poor neighborhoods and then expand outwards into any place facing a budget crunch and vulnerability to the latest "tech will save us, Waiting for Superman" goobledygook.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

yes the witness cross examination piece is bad, as I posted, but many of these changes are good because they clarify the process which is important because right now - and ever since about 2012 - colleges are operating in a weird undefined grey zone where they have to have a title ix adjudication process (requiring them to spend millions of dollars hiring people with a legal background, including investigates and counsel) as a secondary, non-criminal internal judicial system, but theres little in the way of specific guidance on how this process should work. a process that doesn't presume guilt and has a a clear evidentiary standard (which colleges can choose) is good, although again the real goal should be not having colleges litigate this type of thing in the first place.

also its important to note that none of this was in place in the early 2000s and all of these changes are a result of changing guidance under Obama's DoE (the infamous Dear Colleague letter, which you can read here https://www2.ed.gov/print/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201104.html)

yes it will be a very well defined process that prevents women from coming forward, this is very good

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

So as near as I can tell here in Florida, our plan for COVID 19 is basically "well, quarantine, shut down and safe at home is just too hard so 'gently caress it', we're just gonna pretend this thing doesn't exist."

Very few people are masking up and I'm already noticing an increase in traffic, human and vehicular. Aren't we just going to have a huge spike, the overrun hospitals we all feared, more cases and deaths, etc. etc.?

Near as I can tell the whole country is just not up to the challenge. What was the point of the shutdowns if we weren't going to follow through?

Republicans want Trump reelected is what happened.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

Decision makers (old people) don't give a poo poo about parents, that's why we don't have widespread public preK or day care.

first, he's talking about NYC and i can assure you that parents vote in nyc and will riot if the mayor/governor tries to replace school with "online learning"

and second, that someone has not extended a benefit as far as it might go is not the same as taking it away. every parent with a kid of kindergarten age or older is counting on their kid being watched by someone else during the school day. it's one thing not to extend that down to preschool. it's quite another to yank that 13 years of "keeping your kids out of your hair" away from everyone

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

tenure doesn't protect you if the university eliminates your department, unfortunately

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

it was a desperate attempt by some good people to save some lives, but the majority of the country just straight up does not value human life at all and does not care of millions of people die.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Republicans want Trump reelected is what happened.

yeah basically

"handle the crisis like competent leaders" is already out the window. they all know it. they hosed it up bad.

so the plan is now "just reopen everything and hope the economy recovers, and claim if you get lucky that it was all your doing, and if not, blame the state governors" it is not a good plan. it's a plan that arises out of having hosed things up beyond any hope already.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1258082127788347393

Grifters all the way down.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I've posted about this before, but DeVos hasn't been "that bad" on a scale of neutral to ruining the entire American education system, which was definitely something she could've done if she was more competent. Outside of student loans and her refusing to stop charging people (which, yes, is bad), the DoE has been fairly toothless the last 4 years, especially when measured against what could've been done (and was done under Bush). I think one upside to appointing extremely incompetent political novices to high level positions is that their complete lack of experience works against their effectiveness in implementing their agendas.

For example, in the context of Title IX, many people were concerned that under DeVos the DoE would reject the idea that college's had any responsibility to protect their students from sexual violence or harassment and that the Dear Colleague interpretation was wrong.

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 6, 2020

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

exactly, cause you know nothing will happen and its just a way for the investigators to get paid too lol

just all grift

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

I've posted about this before, but DeVos hasn't been "that bad" on a scale of neutral to ruining the entire American education system, which was definitely something she could've done if she was more competent. Outside of student loans and her refusing to stop charging people (which, yes, is bad), the DoE has been fairly toothless the last 4 years, especially when measured against what could've been done (and was done under Bush). I think one upside to appointing extremely incompetent political novices to high level positions is that their complete lack of experience works against their effectiveness in implementing their agendas.

Thank you for bravely defending this horribly lovely person.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

xeria posted:

I've been full-time remote for almost a decade now and everyone on the rest of my project team went through one gently caress of a culture shock the moment they all had to also WFH full-time. I've had to spend the last couple weeks ruling with an iron fist over not scheduling meetings just because you're loving bored and want a captive audience to help you write an email, Larry.

Yep, you nailed it. I've had to sit through several meetings with multiple people that could have been resolved with a short email or a five minute Slack conversation. I'm also beginning to suspect that a lot of managers are slowly realizing how little their jobs matter, and these meetings are the only way for them to feel useful when they're incapable of micromanaging employees.

I'm "lucky" in that none of this really affects me much since I'm a contractor so I'm just billing for any extra bullshit I'm asked to deal with, but it sucks to see people wrecking whatever semblance of work/life balance they have because they aren't getting good remote work guidance.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Super-Id posted:

don't be an rear end in a top hat

that the trump administration is too incompetent to be as good at being evil as it wants is a useful piece of information to know, and why they've failed. it is useful in understanding how the government works, and it is just kind of nice to know that things are better than they could be.

it doesn't make devos a better person that she's too incompetent to do more evil and it was stupid to assume that's what he was saying

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

The Super-Id posted:

Saying "I'm thankful that DeVos didn't entirely ruin the education system in the United States despite what I was afraid of, probably because she is so incompetent that she literally doesn't know how to implement any of her terrible ideas" is not loving defending her, what is wrong with you?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

don't be an rear end in a top hat

that the trump administration is too incompetent to be as good at being evil as it wants is a useful piece of information to know, and why they've failed. it is useful in understanding how the government works, and it is just kind of nice to know that things are better than they could be.

it doesn't make devos a better person that she's too incompetent to do more evil and it was stupid to assume that's what he was saying

I don't know why we're saying that any of these people aren't "that bad" they are all horrible monsters who belong out of government.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Trying to shoot someone and failing doesn't make you sort of ok.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

For example, in the context of Title IX, many people were concerned that under DeVos the DoE would reject the idea that college's had any responsibility to protect their students from sexual violence or harassment and that the Dear Colleague interpretation was wrong.
Ask an LGBTQ student what they think of Betsy DeVos

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’m surprised businesses aren’t encouraging a continuation of Work from Home going forward but as a way to try and decrease how much they pay their employees.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BiggerBoat posted:

Definitely seen traffic pick up some in Orlando, though (at least where I am) not to pre-shelter levels, and the restaurants in the first floor of my apartment building haven't gone full-tilt "inside dining is open!" yet. At least most everyone still seems to be wearing masks in stores here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Super-Id posted:

Trying to shoot someone and failing doesn't make you sort of ok.

The Super-Id posted:

I don't know why we're saying that any of these people aren't "that bad" they are all horrible monsters who belong out of government.

because, and this may shock you, there are other things to discuss besides "morally bad or not bad?????????" and it was very, very obvious from his post that's what he was talking about. she is "not bad" in the sense that she could do much much worse if she wasn't an incompetent moron.

trying to shoot someone and failing doesn't make you better, but it matters to the person who you failed to shoot

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1258085506744803329

lol what a dipshit.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The task force gets great ratings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I have stick up my rear end because my wife works in education and her hate of Devos has spread to me but I loving hate Devos so sorry if I was an rear end in a top hat.