Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

dwarf74 posted:

Like, no, that design on the door didn't really look like a jar, so why would I think to throw one at it? Nothing else to that point in the game worked like that, so it was a half hour, hour of backtracking and trying to figure out where I went wrong. (The door closing as soon as I entered was a big red herring, as were the bombs I could farm in that room.) I know it's a remake, and it's times like that where it really feels like an early Nintendo game.

Haha that's one that stands out to me as a bad puzzle that I solved anyway because I played the original back when it was my One New Game For The Year so I just had time to stand around and try everything.

You can tell some of the puzzles are bad because the solution in the GBC/Switch remakes was to just give you hint statues that outright just tell you what to do at a few points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I remember being a kid and stuck on the first dungeon because I didn't push the block in the room that allowed you to the roc feather.

Then stuck again at that same pot room.

Then stuck for a full year at dungeon seven. I never knew it was possible to glitch the ball to make the dungeon un-winnable, which is probably why I finished that dungeon in a later full play through when I was a bit older.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha that's one that stands out to me as a bad puzzle that I solved anyway because I played the original back when it was my One New Game For The Year so I just had time to stand around and try everything.

You can tell some of the puzzles are bad because the solution in the GBC/Switch remakes was to just give you hint statues that outright just tell you what to do at a few points.
Yeah it's really bad because the game misdirects you in like three ways - the quickly closing door, the bomb, and how you can see the room from another hallway. And it's just not sensible that a bomb couldn't open the door, while a thrown piece of pottery could, so it seems like it shouldn't be breakable at all.

The other thing I had to look up was "make those shyguy dudes stand back to back with me and use the otherwise useless sword power circle thingy to attack behind me."

I don't think I would have ever figured that out because I just considered them an interesting obstacle, not an enemy I actually needed to fight. :shrug:

I guess my patience for this kind of game design has shrunk as my years have advanced.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

Then stuck for a full year at dungeon seven. I never knew it was possible to glitch the ball to make the dungeon un-winnable, which is probably why I finished that dungeon in a later full play through when I was a bit older.

:aaa:
I've mentioned it before because I did that too and spent so much time before just thinking to restart the game, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone else having run into the same thing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Spin attack is good and strong! More people should use it in their day to day!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

So I'm mostly enjoying Link's Awakening, but there've been several puzzles where I just don't know how I should have figured them out.

(Other than buying the latest issue of Nintendo Power from my local newsstand, obvs. :v:)

Like, no, that design on the door didn't really look like a jar, so why would I think to throw one at it? Nothing else to that point in the game worked like that, so it was a half hour, hour of backtracking and trying to figure out where I went wrong. (The door closing as soon as I entered was a big red herring, as were the bombs I could farm in that room.) I know it's a remake, and it's times like that where it really feels like an early Nintendo game.

The original game and the color remake didn't have the pot design on the door either; it just looked the same as a regular door. So it was just a case of literally not being able to do anything else.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ollu posted:

Been playing through Majora's Mask 3D again since this is the year of the 20th Anniversary of the original. Some internet guy created a patch for the game that you can run on a homebrew-ready 3DS that fixes just about all of the bad changes that came with the 3DS version while preserving the better visuals and quality of life features. It's friggin' great and I'm in no way associated with this mod.

Link to description here

Edit: fixed link

insanely win but does it change the green bar day counter back

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if it does it's bad because the original counter would take up way too much real estate on a 3ds

they should've put it on the bottom screen, honestly. i really don't need to see my full inventory at all times.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Amppelix posted:

if it does it's bad because the original counter would take up way too much real estate on a 3ds

they should've put it on the bottom screen, honestly. i really don't need to see my full inventory at all times.

I have the 3DS version of the time counter and I'm using the latest version of the patch. Maybe it was changed and then reverted back in later patch versions but I can't find it in the change log. I agree that the original would be too big for the 3DS screen.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Ollu posted:

Been playing through Majora's Mask 3D again since this is the year of the 20th Anniversary of the original. Some internet guy created a patch for the game that you can run on a homebrew-ready 3DS that fixes just about all of the bad changes that came with the 3DS version while preserving the better visuals and quality of life features. It's friggin' great and I'm in no way associated with this mod.

Link to description here

"Removes the sparkling water effects as they are an insult to the player's intelligence."

lol, I've never seen someone so angry about a graphical effect.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
When I was a kid I had no loving idea what a Pols Voice or a Stalfos was so the dungeon 2 boss key was a hard stop for me for a very, very long time. I actually don't remember how I figured it out, since I don't think I had the internet at the time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

canoshiz posted:

When I was a kid I had no loving idea what a Pols Voice or a Stalfos was so the dungeon 2 boss key was a hard stop for me for a very, very long time. I actually don't remember how I figured it out, since I don't think I had the internet at the time.

lol, I also had no idea of Zelda lore so that was another "just try everything I guess" puzzle for me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ollu posted:

Link to description here

Oh nice, this is dope, there's also an HD HUD mod for Citra, fuckin' ace.

edit: There's an HD texture pack too, though it doesn't seem like a lot of the game is done at this point.

sigher fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 5, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finished yet another dungeon in dark world LTTP. This was the one with the butterfly boss Mothula(sp?).I was thinking her weakness must be fire rod and tried that but that poo poo is kinda finnicky so I died a few times/ran out of magic and kept missing. Then I just decided to try the powered up attack and I one shot her. No pun intended but not sure if this was a bug or a tempered sword is just that strong at this point? Also how does the spin attack work, can it hit the same enemy multiple times or it counts for 1 hit?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ulio posted:

Finished yet another dungeon in dark world LTTP.

I'm not sure I've had the tempered sword by that point, I usually just tank up on potions and use the fire rod. It's also one of the couple dungeons in the game that I really don't like because it feels like there's no overarching design, and I just kind of bumble around until I get to the end.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ulio posted:

Finished yet another dungeon in dark world LTTP. This was the one with the butterfly boss Mothula(sp?).I was thinking her weakness must be fire rod and tried that but that poo poo is kinda finnicky so I died a few times/ran out of magic and kept missing. Then I just decided to try the powered up attack and I one shot her. No pun intended but not sure if this was a bug or a tempered sword is just that strong at this point? Also how does the spin attack work, can it hit the same enemy multiple times or it counts for 1 hit?

That boss is interesting because, while it doesn't have an incredible amount of health, if you hit it into a spike any damage you did is negated.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Fun fact: Mothula is pretty easy if you manage to kill her before the spikes get moving.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

mastajake posted:

That boss is interesting because, while it doesn't have an incredible amount of health, if you hit it into a spike any damage you did is negated.

...what

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Lechtansi posted:

Fun fact: Mothula is pretty easy if you manage to kill her before the spikes get moving.

Yeah but that fight is an interesting crossover between Zelda and a shmup.

You have to keep your eyes off the target most of the time and it’s cool when you can cruise through it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lechtansi posted:

Even easier if you've wandered around a bit and picked up the Cane of Byrna.

oof oof oof BANGBANGBANGBANGBANG

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Runcible Cat posted:

oof oof oof BANGBANGBANGBANGBANG

please don't post my daruk/link fanfiction in this thread

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Decided to finally replay BotW, and so far I'm enjoying my time. Running around the world, looking at pretty places is satisfying. I was worried knowing everything is a Korok or a Shrine would spoil things for me, but nah, it's just pleasant on its own. Actually, if there's a thing I don't enjoy, it's shrines. So many of them are so easy, it feels like you're wasting time, and some of them (motion control ones) are obnoxious. I've done 70% of the towers and still haven't set foot into a dungeon simply because I kinda don't care.
I'm trying to take a photo of everything this run, and that's fun too! Can't wait for the sequel.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Zelda players: I have played through 17 Zelda games at this point, and unlocked the hook shot and magic hammer and master sword and the bow and the Zora flippers for the dozenth time and fought Ganon for the 50th time and saved Zelda for the millionth time!

Also Zelda players: the puzzles in BotW are repetitive.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Vookatos posted:

I'm trying to take a photo of everything this run, and that's fun too! Can't wait for the sequel.

Kill those Lynels early, or you'll miss out on Lynel and Mighty Lynel Spear and Crusher shots!

(Also, don't forget to snap those Guardian Sentries before you unlock Vah Rudania.)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

maltesh posted:

Kill those Lynels early, or you'll miss out on Lynel and Mighty Lynel Spear and Crusher shots!

(Also, don't forget to snap those Guardian Sentries before you unlock Vah Rudania.)

Isn't there one Cursed Skull type that only shows up in one dungeon too?

Also Master Kohga. You only get one chance at him.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Runcible Cat posted:

Isn't there one Cursed Skull type that only shows up in one dungeon too?

Also Master Kohga. You only get one chance at him.

Basically, yeah. Once I finished all the Divine Beasts on my two playthroughs, I never saw a Cursed Bokoblin again.

Also, since the Master Sword is Undroppable, consider whether you want a picture of it before you pull it from the pedestal, or after you complete a set of the Sword Trials.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 6, 2020

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Can't you take a selfie and have the system recognize the weapon on your back? Or does that not work with the master sword?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.

DelphiAegis posted:

Can't you take a selfie and have the system recognize the weapon on your back? Or does that not work with the master sword?

Well you can, but then your Master Sword picture is Link doing a goofy pose.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

NeverHelm posted:

Someone in this thread was trying to make all their compendium pictures be Link doing a goofy pose, but I don't know if they succeeded.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Okay, I take back every criticism I ever had of this game

I got a fair amount of the way, the only thing holding me back was the sheer number of outfit/pose combos to keep track of.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Hygiene posted:

I got a fair amount of the way, the only thing holding me back was the sheer number of outfit/pose combos to keep track of.

o7

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

NeverHelm posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing. :confused:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

maltesh posted:

Well, here's hoping "early" means pre-dungeon, since I've explored A LOT, but barely do shrines. I was hoping there wouldn't be any missable photos aside from bosses but oh well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vookatos posted:

Well, here's hoping "early" means pre-dungeon, since I've explored A LOT, but barely do shrines. I was hoping there wouldn't be any missable photos aside from bosses but oh well.

Its a complicated system based on kills that dungeon completion adds a pretty hefty chunk onto.

As long as you haven't depopulated all of Hyrule outside the dungeons and shrines multiple times you're still probably good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/6ghtvz/explaining_enemy_scaling_in_botw_xpost_rzelda/

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 6, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

wait but can't you get any shots you miss from purah's assistant

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

I think 1 spin attack is enough at least in the GBA version thats all it took.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My 5 year old son, after watching a bunch of videos from Mr A Game, just beat BOTW with only two divine beasts. This is after playing the game for approx 2 months.

I haven't even beaten this game, but he straight up schooled Ganon in literally all of his forms.

:stare: but also :toot:

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Bust Rodd posted:

Zelda players: I have played through 17 Zelda games at this point, and unlocked the hook shot and magic hammer and master sword and the bow and the Zora flippers for the dozenth time and fought Ganon for the 50th time and saved Zelda for the millionth time!

Also Zelda players: the puzzles in BotW are repetitive.

They're not complaining about puzzles, though, he's complaining about shrines. BOTW has some amazing over world puzzles and I legit like the Divine Beasts more than most, but those shrines are loving terrible - in their current form they are a totally half baked and without a doubt the worst part of the game.

I played BOTW twice and got sick of the shrines halfway through the first run. There is only one design style to them (a style could maybe carry 1 dungeon at most) and the shrine song is a very short, annoying loop and the worst song in the game. The puzzles are always self-contained and have a pretty obvious single solution without room for red herrings (with very, very few exceptions). I'm not very good at puzzles in Zelda games (seriously, I still struggle with the Ice Dungeon from LTTP), but the only shrine that took me longer than 10 minutes to clean out were the combat shrines early on.

The absolute worst thing about the shrines, though, is that 90% of them are totally disconnected from the world and make it less rewarding to explore it. It's great to come across what looks to be a cool riddle or a hidden cave, but when the reward is always just another shrine (complete with a loading screen and the same reward as every other loving shrine) there's no reason to give a poo poo. Shrines are repetitive, easy, disconnected blue slop that frequently turns exploration from memorable fun to an indistinct blue blur. I doubt I could remember even 6 of the shrine puzzles, but I know I could solve them all in minutes. The issue here is that the shrines are supposed to be a reward for exploration. Instead, they feel like a chore you have to go through in between the fun parts of the game.

If people are willing to go through the same motions in every Zelda release for years in spite of mechanics being repeated constantly over all the games, it usually means that the mechanics are being spread out and swapped up enough so that they're still engaging. It's a testament to solid design in most games that these things managed to stick around, and while people noticed they were repetitive they still had fun with it. The trick with the shrines only really works once - If Nintendo brings back shrines in BOTW 2, they need to completely change how they do it or people will wise up to how similar and lazy the shrines really are.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Amppelix posted:

wait but can't you get any shots you miss from purah's assistant

Sure, but you have to pay for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Vookatos posted:

I don’t wanna spoil anything but beating the dungeons gives Link cool magic powers, one of which really changes how you explore and get around, so I really recommend doing the dungeons before getting in the bulk of your exploration.