Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SoR Blaze posted:

I definitely feel that FF stories get worse as their access to technology gets better though, while DQ games are all basically fairy tales so they remain decent enough from game to game.
I don't think it's the tech, I think that they pick god-awful people to make their games-- princelings and scions and upper-class playboy twits who don't know dick about project management in a vain attempt to be fashionable.

I don't think it's a coincidence that in 15 years they got mired down with only three major Final Fantasy projects all of which required major developmental shakeups along the way, followed by a remake where the primary complaint is that the new director put in material that is somehow even stupider than the original. All of the signs point to a god-awful executive/managing class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

dudeness posted:

You should play FEAR (first encounter assault recon)

The FEAR shotgun is like a boomstick and a cuisinart had a very angry baby. I love that thing. So many gibs.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I don't think it's the tech, I think that they pick god-awful people to make their games-- princelings and scions and upper-class playboy twits who don't know dick about project management in a vain attempt to be fashionable.

I don't think it's a coincidence that in 15 years they got mired down with only three major Final Fantasy projects all of which required major developmental shakeups along the way, followed by a remake where the primary complaint is that the new director put in material that is somehow even stupider than the original. All of the signs point to a god-awful executive/managing class.

Fair enough and we'll never know, but I bet if FF6 was rendered in realistic 3d and fully voice acted, with a script that was not bound by the limitations of text boxes, it would have been as self-indulgently cringey as the later FF games, or at least closer to them. I find melodrama a lot easier to swallow when I'm reading text boxes and watching little marionettes act them out. That may just be a personal preference though.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

SoR Blaze posted:

Fair enough and we'll never know, but I bet if FF6 was rendered in realistic 3d and fully voice acted, with a script that was not bound by the limitations of text boxes, it would have been as self-indulgently cringey as the later FF games, or at least closer to them. I find melodrama a lot easier to swallow when I'm reading text boxes and watching little marionettes act them out. That may just be a personal preference though.

It's all in the theatrics. There's a thing I call "the theatrical uncanny valley" where depending on the medium you use to tell your drama, some thing just cross the barrier from engrossing to hyper-cringe.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I would agree with that. There is definitely a sense of Square-Enix directors overreaching with their ideas instead of thinking about how to accomplish nuts and bolts game design. Sometimes it pays off like FFXV's bro-simulator, and other times it doesn't...like everything else about FFXV.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If someone describes a game as cozy or charming it typically means its easy, extremely repetitive due to some form of slow progression, nobody you talk to will shut up, and the sun is bright in the sky.

I skip cutscenes constantly in JRPGs but even for me DQXI's final chapter was too stupid conceptually to playthrough, which probably wasnt helped by the combat in DQXI being "cozy" and "charming".

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Those shrines in Breath of the Wild where you have to guide a ball through a maze with motion controls are the most egregiously stupid things ever. People never seem to mention them and they are absolutely the dumbest thing to put in a Zelda game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Those shrines in Breath of the Wild where you have to guide a ball through a maze with motion controls are the most egregiously stupid things ever. People never seem to mention them and they are absolutely the dumbest thing to put in a Zelda game.

They're terrible. It's odd because other games have similar things and the controls aren't that bad.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Caesar Saladin posted:

It's pretty clumsy but probably not the dumbest thing in a Zelda game. I always play with a controller on a tv screen but flipping the handheld switch upside down and then a little to the left seems unfair f you're playing on the train. Even funnier as a sort of AR experience.

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 6, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

This was my favourite memory of the 7 hours I played BotW and I'm not even joking

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

you could probably buy a game on your phone that is the exact samething

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My solution to the maze puzzles was to let the ball drop, turn the entire platform upside down, and let the new ball drop on the flat side of the maze platform so I could just flick it over to the goal.

I don't see what is so difficult about this, it's not like you had to actually do the maze.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I couldnt even get the drat thing to control when it was upside down. The gyro and puzzle drifted insanely badly and when I did, finally finish the maze it was by starting standing and ending up laying on my back. Gyro controls work for some folks but not me.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

That's fair.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

signalnoise posted:

My solution to the maze puzzles was to let the ball drop, turn the entire platform upside down, and let the new ball drop on the flat side of the maze platform so I could just flick it over to the goal.

I don't see what is so difficult about this, it's not like you had to actually do the maze.

if the most fun solution to the puzzle is to not actually do the puzzle, then like, just don't have the puzzle

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I do have fun with systems that allow me to create my own solutions to problems. My own unpopular opinion about BotW is that master mode is more fun than normal mode.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Master mode sounds kind of pointless, since you can carry infinite healing items that you can consume instantly at any time in both modes. That means you have essentially infinte health and can only die if you get one-shotted. BotW is not a hard game, which is not a bad thing IMO.

In general, I think that in spite of what they're saying most gamers don't actually want their games to be difficult. They want the illusion of difficulty, which is why Dark Souls is so popular. It's an easy game masquerading as a difficult one. Sekiro seemed to be a lot less popular, and I think it's partly because you have fewer opportunities to make things easier for yourself.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

KonvexKonkav posted:

In general, I think that in spite of what they're saying most gamers don't actually want their games to be difficult.

I think this is true all the way to the top of "difficult" games. Dwarf Fortress, Eve, Paradox Strategy Games, whatever. They're not hard to play, they're just not immediately easy to learn. Once you learn them they can be painfully easy to play.

Kind of like a Rubiks cube. Once you know the tricks the illusion of difficulty is completely lost.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

If someone describes a game as cozy or charming it typically means its easy, extremely repetitive due to some form of slow progression, nobody you talk to will shut up, and the sun is bright in the sky.

Stardew Valley is both cozy & charming but also challenging for the hardest of hardcore speed runner :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

oh gently caress, does this section make BotW unplayable on the Switch Lite?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

is stardew valley one of those games where you're supposed to marry a lady? and that lady's dialogue is all written by some indie game dude's idea of what a woman would say?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

is stardew valley one of those games where you're supposed to marry a lady? and that lady's dialogue is all written by some indie game dude's idea of what a woman would say?

"supposed to"? thats very heteronormative. you can marry the dudes as well

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

SoR Blaze posted:

The Final Fantasy devs spent the last twenty years trying to make movies and failing - the first sign of trouble was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, but that group of crazy assholes bankrupted Square and made multiple awful movies and TV shows(e.g. Advent Children, Brotherhood, Kingsglaive.) When their company told them "gently caress you. we want a game", they started making games that literally played themselves and featured hours of annoying cut-scenes (e.g. Final Fantasy 13.)

I don't know if I'm just developing a tolerance or low expectations, but the FF7 remake actually told a decent story, and the cut-scenes didn't make me want to gouge my ears out. They finally made their crazy real-time movie-like game and it only took those crazy assholes twenty years to learn how to write a script.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Caesar Saladin posted:

This is a really, really weird thing to assume

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Sit down and tell me what's really going on with you.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

It's probably one of the most purely innocent games to come along in many years.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i know in my younger years i would have gone with Abigail or Emily. but i've matured and i am quite happy now to have Penny as my Stardew waifu

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Don’t forget Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime!
Quoting on a new page to make sure everyone with a DS has played this. Fantastic little title.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

i know in my younger years i would have gone with Abigail or Emily. but i've matured and i am quite happy now to have Penny as my Stardew waifu

*Nods sagely*

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I married the nerd and she built me a robot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

The Final Fantasy devs spent the last twenty years trying to make movies and failing - the first sign of trouble was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, but that group of crazy assholes bankrupted Square and made multiple awful movies and TV shows(e.g. Advent Children, Brotherhood, Kingsglaive.) When their company told them "gently caress you. we want a game", they started making games that literally played themselves and featured hours of annoying cut-scenes (e.g. Final Fantasy 13.)

I don't know if I'm just developing a tolerance or low expectations, but the FF7 remake actually told a decent story, and the cut-scenes didn't make me want to gouge my ears out. They finally made their crazy real-time movie-like game and it only took those crazy assholes twenty years to learn how to write a script.

The actual action parts of Kingsglaive ruled. The last 30-45 minutes are awesome. It starts pretty drat slow though. And making that made zero business sense. It looked super expensive to make, it’s not going to sell any more copies of the game (since if you’re sitting down to watch a 90+ minute prequel to a game, you’re either gonna buy it or already bought it) and I can’t imagine many people bought/rented the movie either.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

I skip cutscenes constantly in JRPGs but even for me DQXI's final chapter was too stupid conceptually to playthrough, which probably wasnt helped by the combat in DQXI being "cozy" and "charming".

When a game reviewer calls a game charming it's usually because they can't bring themselves to call it fun or good. There are good games with plenty of charm but you rarely see "charming" used as a buzzword for them.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

is pepsi ok posted:

Really wish someone would have told me this before I wasted $50 on EDF 5.

Play with friends and it is insanely good and fun

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bloons TD has a monkeycheese aesthetic and phrases like "more awesomer" and "epic balloon poppage" thrown around but its probably the best TD game out there and i had a lot of fun with it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm only about 1/2 through but so far, the gameplay itself in FF7R is total garbage.

I have to open this door. There is no other path. Gotta stand in just the right spot to hit the button to open the door. This other door opens automatically when I walk up to it, though. And this panel that I need to activate? I have to hold the button down and wait because ??

And just like Nier: A, the game is so much better on easy mode. The combat is just a waste of time when played normally. Too much juggling for what is basically a story-based game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

og ff7 was full of that crap too but it also came out 23 years ago

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Final Fantasy the movie is better than the FF you remember. It has the dj from Frasier and Steve Buscemi and Ving Rhames and

Budget: 137 million USD
Box office: 85.1 million USD

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah but spirits within has weird botox foreheads on everyone

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Final Fantasy the movie is better than the FF you remember.

No.

That's not even an opinion wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
It’s a bummer that Mass Effect: Andromeda flopped so hard. The gameplay was, admittedly, very bad, but it was depressing how much effort went into recording post-ending dialogue for even minor NPCs in anticipation of future DLCs that will never come.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 6, 2020