Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m surprised businesses aren’t encouraging a continuation of Work from Home going forward but as a way to try and decrease how much they pay their employees.
I am seeing a lot of discussion about how WFH is extending the work day for a lot of people.

Generally what I am hearing (my wife’s company has been the same way) is that companies just want to be able to keep tabs on workers and don’t trust them so a lot of them are trying to bring workers back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Super-Id posted:

Trying to shoot someone and failing doesn't make you sort of ok.

The poster obviously (really obviously) meant bad in outcome, not bad morally.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1258089327579578369

Media run state. This is definitely because Trump is watching poo poo on Fox or OANN saying this.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I don't know why I try. Yes in a perfect world Betsey DeVos would not be Secretary of Education, but also in a perfect world Donald Trump wouldn't be President, but that's not the world we live in. One of George Bush's greatest domestic crimes was spending 8 years destroying K-12 and damaging higher education and this damage was barely undone under Obama. When DeVos was nominated (and then confirmed) many people - including myself, other people who work in education, and people on this forum - were scared that she would use her extremely powerful position to undue much of the good work that happened under Obama by privatizing K-12 education and legitimatizing fly by night charter schools. I was also scared that she would get rid of the Title IX process entirely and do what she could to deregulate higher education by changing accreditation standards, by changing financial aid oversight of private institutions, and ending all oversight of for profit colleges.

Fortunately, for whatever reason - probably her own incompetence and the Trump administration's focus on shrinking the government by refusing to appoint mid-level political appointees - these things haven't happened. DeVos has done bad things, because of course she has, but she has not permanently damaged any of our education institutions, or implemented widespread changes that will be difficult to fix. Recognizing that her own incompetence prevented her from implementing her agenda (and fulfilling our worst fears) is not somehow praising her, its recognizing that there is a degree of difference between "some lovely policies that make life worse for some people" and "permanently destroying the infrastructure of our education system in a deliberate attempt to privatize as much as possible and in a way that cannot be easily fixed in the next four years".

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

love to be led by someone who has fully embraced epistemic closure

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Media run state. This is definitely because Trump is watching poo poo on Fox or OANN saying this.

my guess is he will start openly saying this poo poo by next week, instead of hinting at it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pick posted:

Why? Why why why why why why why why do they keep doing this? Just why?

sometime in the next year we're going to find out that Jered is collecting a full GS15 paycheck for every different job he's pretending to do

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The poster obviously (really obviously) meant bad in outcome, not bad morally.

It's just hard to get excited about how ineffective the evil people are when they permeate every level of our government and ruling class. Just gently caress these people forever even if they aren't doing a drat thing but adding a title to their resume and collecting an insignificant paycheck.

silly mane
Nov 26, 2004

I know that hospital and that intersection. The intersection, Macdade Boulevard and Main St, is maybe 8 blocks away from the hospital. The hospital is on Main St. Unless the driver took some weird circuitous route and backtracked, he made it maybe 2 minutes between leaving the site of the parade and crashing his SUV. Good job, guy.

The news calling it a chase through Delaware County seems pretty sensationalist too, not that this isn't a loving awful thing to have happened in the first place.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is especially aggravating since we know from using other data on deaths that some states are massively undercounting already. California by itself has 1000 deaths above last year that were not directly contributed to Covid

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am seeing a lot of discussion about how WFH is extending the work day for a lot of people.

Generally what I am hearing (my wife’s company has been the same way) is that companies just want to be able to keep tabs on workers and don’t trust them so a lot of them are trying to bring workers back.

There's always been an element of "woah woah woah, how do we KNOW you're working the full 8 hours if I can't walk by your cube and SEE you working?!" with WFH, nevermind that it shouldn't loving matter if I'm glued to my laptop 8+ hours every day (I never am) as long as I'm getting my assigned work complete. The whole manager class just can't get the point that someone doesn't need a shirt-and-tie looming overhead at all times in order to be productive.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I don't know why I try. Yes in a perfect world Betsey DeVos would not be Secretary of Education, but also in a perfect world Donald Trump wouldn't be President, but that's not the world we live in. One of George Bush's greatest domestic crimes was spending 8 years destroying K-12 and damaging higher education and this damage was barely undone under Obama. When DeVos was nominated (and then confirmed) many people - including myself, other people who work in education, and people on this forum - were scared that she would use her extremely powerful position to undue much of the good work that happened under Obama by privatizing K-12 education and legitimatizing fly by night charter schools. I was also scared that she would get rid of the Title IX process entirely and do what she could to deregulate higher education by changing accreditation standards, by changing financial aid oversight of private institutions, and ending all oversight of for profit colleges.

Fortunately, for whatever reason - probably her own incompetence and the Trump administration's focus on shrinking the government by refusing to appoint mid-level political appointees - these things haven't happened. DeVos has done bad things, because of course she has, but she has not permanently damaged any of our education institutions, or implemented widespread changes that will be difficult to fix. Recognizing that her own incompetence prevented her from implementing her agenda (and fulfilling our worst fears) is not somehow praising her, its recognizing that there is a degree of difference between "some lovely policies that make life worse for some people" and "permanently destroying the infrastructure of our education system in a deliberate attempt to privatize as much as possible and in a way that cannot be easily fixed in the next four years".

Basically Cuomo is a far greater threat than DeVos to education because he is far more competent and just as willing, able, and driven to destroy it

And people want him to take over from Biden, rofl

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Super-Id posted:

Trying to shoot someone and failing doesn't make you sort of ok.

It’s a lesser charge hth

No one said she was good, jfc. Just that she is luckily an ineffectual monster.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

Basically Cuomo is a far greater threat than DeVos to education because he is far more competent and just as willing, able, and driven to destroy it

And people want him to take over from Biden, rofl

I don't follow NY Politics that much, what has he done that makes him a greater threat than DeVos?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I have to admit “watch my show or hundreds of thousands of people die” is a hell of a threat

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

xeria posted:

There's always been an element of "woah woah woah, how do we KNOW you're working the full 8 hours if I can't walk by your cube and SEE you working?!" with WFH, nevermind that it shouldn't loving matter if I'm glued to my laptop 8+ hours every day (I never am) as long as I'm getting my assigned work complete. The whole manager class just can't get the point that someone doesn't need a shirt-and-tie looming overhead at all times in order to be productive.

The funny thing is that the natural tendency of a lot of people is to work more/longer hours when they don't have a clear separation between work life and home life. Sticking to a limited amount of work each day is, at least in my experience, the hardest thing to teach people working remotely for the first time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

socialsecurity posted:

I don't follow NY Politics that much, what has he done that makes him a greater threat than DeVos?

Cut the budget to precisely zero out the net gain from federal education assistance in the CARES act, and announced a new partnership with the Gates Foundation. He can’t do things in a national level but he’s competent in the way DeVos isn’t

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is especially aggravating since we know from using other data on deaths that some states are massively undercounting already. California by itself has 1000 deaths above last year that were not directly contributed to Covid

if you read the article they're bitching about covid-19 deaths being counted where the doctor was like "yep that's covid" but (because of trump's monumental incompetence) they never had an official test result

so it's basically "why aren't they letting us deliberately undercount the deaths?!?!?!?!?!?!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

evilweasel posted:

if you read the article they're bitching about covid-19 deaths being counted where the doctor was like "yep that's covid" but (because of trump's monumental incompetence) they never had an official test result

so it's basically "why aren't they letting us deliberately undercount the deaths?!?!?!?!?!?!"
The doctors didn’t really have a choice until recently since testing just hasn’t been available

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Paradoxish posted:

The funny thing is that the natural tendency of a lot of people is to work more/longer hours when they don't have a clear separation between work life and home life. Sticking to a limited amount of work each day is, at least in my experience, the hardest thing to teach people working remotely for the first time.

100%, I've had to coach my own boss on things like "set a specific time window every day that are your 'work hours', hold yourself to that (including block off your calendar before/after so people get the hint), and don't check your work email or even log onto your laptop outside of those hours and on weekends". It's a learned cadence, for sure, and I've had years to grow into it. Think also folks who are used to working in an office are also used to counting commute time as allotted 'work time', which leads into giving themselves an extra couple hours of Actually Working every day because that time used to be the time they had to drive to/from the office.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

haveblue posted:

Cut the budget to precisely zero out the net gain from federal education assistance in the CARES act, and announced a new partnership with the Gates Foundation. He can’t do things in a national level but he’s competent in the way DeVos isn’t

The key detail here is that the Gates foundation has a history with charter schools. I have no idea if they still support them, but I suspect that's a big part of why people ITT are reacting the way they are.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my guess is he will start openly saying this poo poo by next week, instead of hinting at it.

Next week? You've got decent odds that he'll start saying, "People are inflating the death count just to make me look bad!" later today.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/health/why-people-dont-wear-masks-wellness-trnd/index.html

I feel like some of these stories are trying to find far too logical pre 2010's conclusions to why some people commit certain acts that are not necessarily in their immediate best interest when usually it's something like some media personality or influencer they swear by the word of as gospel told them to do something so they just do it and any talking points and reasons for why go about as far as those that they were fed. For a society that claims to value free will and liberty as much as Western civilization it sometimes amazes me how much of that including people's very thinking and sense of identity they will now gladly cede to popular influencers who are probably working on some large corporations dollar because I guess the alternative of having to do it yourself just takes too much effort. Considering we're in a time where somebody could go on twitter and suggest a Tide Pod or Hot Coil challenge and people will go "Wow that sounds like a great idea" and gladly poison or brand themselves like a cattle for attention I figure people are open to literally anything now as long as it comes from the right infuencer. I mean it's how the Fox News generation works. Trump or Hannity says something and one group of people unquestioningly believe it.

It's almost enough to make one think of Brave New World sometimes if it weren't for the fact that being very clearly polarized down clear cut fault lines on just about every aspect of life we took for granted a couple decades ago is now an essential part of Western civilization's condition along with a non-insignificant group of people gleefully doing or believing whatever their set of follows tells them too.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

evilweasel posted:

first, he's talking about NYC and i can assure you that parents vote in nyc and will riot if the mayor/governor tries to replace school with "online learning"

That's interesting, if I were making a list of cities run by public school parents, NYC would've been last on my list.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

It’s a lesser charge hth

It shouldn't be, in any world where criminal justice is focused on reform and/or prevention

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This thread, and the accompanying piece, are a pretty good look into how the entire government response has been to empower any and every Republican grifter who can speak in complete sentences.

https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1258035535936921601

The full piece is here: https://www.propublica.org/article/how-profit-and-incompetence-delayed-n95-masks-while-people-died-at-the-va

Unrelated - the failed coup boys just loved posting on social media, looks like.

https://twitter.com/DanBoeckner/status/1258072303084228610

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

That's interesting, if I were making a list of cities run by public school parents, NYC would've been last on my list.

NYC has a lot of pretty good public schools and there are many more people in them than you would expect from better off people. this is in part because of things that are, uh, questionable like rich neighborhoods funding extra teachers, and a very large "honors" track that has been accused (i'm using that language because i genuinely don't know the details well enough to make a conclusion) of being a de facto segregated school system, and also just because it's expensive to live in NYC and so adding on private school when your cost of living is already double what it is everywhere else is hard

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Kale posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/health/why-people-dont-wear-masks-wellness-trnd/index.html

I feel like some of these stories are trying to find far too logical pre 2010's conclusions to why some people commit certain acts that are not necessarily in their immediate best interest when usually it's something like some media personality or influencer they swear by the word of as gospel told them to do something so they just do it and any talking points and reasons for why go about as far as those that they were fed. For a society that claims to value free will and liberty as much as Western civilization it sometimes amazes me how much of that including people's very thinking and sense of identity they will now gladly cede to popular influencers who are probably working on some large corporations dollar because I guess the alternative of having to do it yourself just takes too much effort. Considering we're in a time where somebody could go on twitter and suggest a Tide Pod or Hot Coil challenge and people will go "Wow that sounds like a great idea" and gladly poison or brand themselves like a cattle for attention I figure people are open to literally anything now as long as it comes from the right infuencer. I mean it's how the Fox News generation works. Trump or Hannity says something and one group of people unquestioningly believe it.

It's almost enough to make one think of Brave New World sometimes if it weren't for the fact that being very clearly polarized down clear cut fault lines on just about every aspect of life we took for granted a couple decades ago is now an essential part of Western civilization's condition along with a non-insignificant group of people gleefully doing or believing whatever their set of follows tells them too.
That article spends 1200 words failing to come to the obvious conclusion: it's because Democrats told us to wear them.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/z3dster/status/1257732832060997634

https://twitter.com/z3dster/status/1257735412409421825

https://twitter.com/z3dster/status/1258060325846429696

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Grifters 'gon grift

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

exactly, cause you know nothing will happen and its just a way for the investigators to get paid too lol

just all grift

Investigators get paid either way. It's just more work.

FuturePastNow posted:

sometime in the next year we're going to find out that Jered is collecting a full GS15 paycheck for every different job he's pretending to do

I mean there are 168 hours in a week, right? Of course wunderkind Jared is filling 4.2 FSL as GS15, step 10.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is Soldier of Fortune still a thing?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1258098146003091465

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1258098504314097664

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That’s going in an Ad.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They stopped publication a few years ago and went online only. How this affects the ads at the back where you hire hitmen and sign up to kill brown people overseas is unknown.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/meridithmcgraw/status/1258099419699912711

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not really. They got the majority of their funding from the classified ads in the back where you'd say you were available for "High risk missions overseas or in the US" by which you meant you could be paid money to shot someone's ex. They eventually lost enough court cases in like 1990 that they had to stop selling ad space to professional killers and to cops pretending to be professional killers, and that was the majority of their business plan. I'm pretty sure they've even stopped making digital copies of their magazine, and only exist as a blog with a merch store attached.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Arianedevogue/status/1258097874904272896
https://mobile.twitter.com/Arianedevogue/status/1258097876414148610

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

They stopped publication a few years ago and went online only. How this affects the ads at the back where you hire hitmen and sign up to kill brown people overseas is unknown.

I imagine that sort of thing (the hire mercenaries to kill brown people) has, like everything else, moved to the internet.

Or who knows maybe its an app you download from the app store now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Maybe this isn't the best place for this, but is tweet embedding broken on desktop computers? I can see tweets fine on my phone, but not here. Twitter isn't blocked either (I know at my job where twitter is blocked I can't see embedded tweets), but for some reason tweets aren't loading.