Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
You ever misclick and open another thread and spend 5 min looking at a pic trying to find the vivec/jiub edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

is there any side by side comparison shots of vanilla / AI texture pack 1 / AI texture pack 2 / whatever?

https://imgsli.com/MTU0MDE/0/1

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

1. rebirth bad
2. morrowind modding moves at a glacial pace, dont wait for anything
3. intelligent

Why rebirth bad?

And another question: because there are so many questlines especially with TR, and only so much character progression before you're an insane God, is it better to make multiple characters with different builds to try out different quest lines to keep it fresh, or does dealing with low level characters over and over get really annoying? I guess you could use a different start location mod to make it more interesting.

Your Brain on Hugs fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 6, 2020

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Why rebirth bad?

And another question: because there are so many questlines especially with TR, and only so much character progression before you're an insane God, is it better to make multiple characters with different builds to try out different quest lines to keep it fresh, or does dealing with low level characters over and over get really annoying? I guess you could use a different start location mod to make it more interesting.

its not a very well made mod that changes things for the worse. it isnt a grand overhaul like some people think it is.

use a mod that slows down progression like "proportional progression"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

this is cool

how many cyborg texture packs are there? The main thing I'm curious about is if there's any serious difference between them and what it may be. Vanilla is important to get some kinda baseline in case they're weirdly divergent.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

this is cool

how many cyborg texture packs are there? The main thing I'm curious about is if there's any serious difference between them and what it may be. Vanilla is important to get some kinda baseline in case they're weirdly divergent.

uhhh like 3 but intelligent curates the textures and eliminates / reworks the wonky ones so its better by default imo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I had used "morrowind enhanced textures" and it seemed pretty good. Now that I go back and look at the nexus page there's this that seems better when taken completely out of context:

and this that seems pretty fuckin wrong I dunno that there's supposed to be missing parts of noses:

also in case nobody else posted this political joke I saw in cspam:

probably i'll just install the infowars pack

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

uhhh like 3 but intelligent curates the textures and eliminates / reworks the wonky ones so its better by default imo

I've been pretty happy with Intelligent Textures but today while wandering around in the Grazelands came up to an Ashlander camp and saw the back end of a Siltstrider husk - it was not pretty. Really horizontally-stretched textures. This is with the 2.0 version of the mod that came out recently.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hooah posted:

I've been pretty happy with Intelligent Textures but today while wandering around in the Grazelands came up to an Ashlander camp and saw the back end of a Siltstrider husk - it was not pretty. Really horizontally-stretched textures. This is with the 2.0 version of the mod that came out recently.

thats in the vanilla game too lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
looking at that one pic I honestly couldn't tell you if MET wasn't just IT with some kind of sharpen filter run on it or if it was mathmagically generated from the original texture. The main thing I can notice is that the inside of the eyes are radically different

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

thats in the vanilla game too lol

I'm sure it is, but shouldn't it be fixed?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

hooah posted:

I thought LOOT hadn't been updated in years?

That's BOSS and/or MLOX. LOOT is the modern equivalent.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Agents are GO! posted:

That's BOSS and/or MLOX. LOOT is the modern equivalent.

Awesome, thanks!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hooah posted:

youre better off getting new meshes for it, it rarely ever comes up

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Why rebirth bad?

looking at the notes for it:

quote:

- Plant and organic containers are less likely spawn alchemy components.

fuckin :laffo: that alone is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

looking at the notes for it:

fuckin :laffo: that alone is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Yeah a lot of the gameplay changes seemed real dumb, however the compatability patch with TR seems to remove most of them. was mainly wondering if the changed dungeons and cities and whatnot were worth it. Seems like it'll be annoying with stuff like grass cover mods not being compatible with the landscape changes etc. Might just stick with TR and try and spice up the vanilla content with a bunch of other mods.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Why rebirth bad?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

quote:

- Vendors no longer restock ingredients.
- Only uniquely named enemies will have soul values high enough to be used for constant effect enchantments (with Dremora Lord of Divinity being the only exception).
- Grand soul gems are now limited, and does not appear as random loot.
- Some spell-effects can no longer be used for enchanting (Command Humanoid, Command Creature, Fortify Skill, Fortify Attribute, Drain Health, Damage Health, Invisibility).
- Traveling by boat, silt strider or using Mage's Guild services is now much more costly.
- Shops, city gates and other places closes at night.
- Most containers contain less valuebles such as gold, gems and other valueble items.
- Dremoras and Golden Saints no longer drop Daedric gear such as weapons and shields.

i don't understand these mod authors whose idea of rebalancing the game consists of 'let's strip out a bunch of the poo poo that makes morrowind fun'.

for that matter i cannot comprehend giving a gently caress about balance in fuckin morrowind, the ability to bust the poo poo out of this game is so central to its identity. didn't it eventually come out that one of the mod authors of one of these awful 'rebalancing' mods admitted to never having even touched the game, 'cause i gotta imagine that's also the case for the fuckin nerd that made rebirth as well.

no that's mgso, which is also really goddamn terrible

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't understand these mod authors whose idea of rebalancing the game consists of 'let's strip out a bunch of the poo poo that makes morrowind fun'.

for that matter i cannot comprehend giving a gently caress about balance in fuckin morrowind, the ability to bust the poo poo out of this game is so central to its identity. didn't it eventually come out that one of the mod authors of one of these awful 'rebalancing' mods admitted to never having even touched the game, 'cause i gotta imagine that's also the case for the fuckin nerd that made rebirth as well.

At the risk of sounding like a huge dork, its like when you're given a picasso and asked "how would you make it better". Trancemasters response was "change absolutely everything." Every single item and creature is changed.

Apparently nothing in vanilla morrowind was worth keeping unedited lol

Let me find the ebonheart screenshot where it's now a square fort with mushrooms in it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

please keep talking about reasons rebirth is bad, it keeps me from having to install it and check it out myself. As someone who is as major stan for keeping the existing assets and features of morrowind the way they are, the over-cooked trainwreck of Rebirth is fascinating to me

hooah posted:

to expand upon the "get new meshes" point and to explain why that's the case, the stretching it likely not tied to the texture at all, which is why it's still there when you install a new texture pack. 3D models use what's called UVs in order to tell the render engine where on a given face a texture should be applied. These UVs are not always 1:1 scale and shape with the faces themselves, mostly due to filesize budgeting reasons; you gotta kind of cram them in as close as you can in order to keep texture sizes down, and sometimes that means you've got to move them into weird positions, which causes the textures to distort. Ideally, you'd only do that in places where a player is never really going to look such as armpits, the head under the chin or behind hair, etc.

So yeah you'd need a new silt-strider mesh, or a modified one with fixed UVs, in order to fix that problem.

e: I'm worried this sounds condescending but I'm not trying to be lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 6, 2020

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

please keep talking about reasons rebirth is bad, it keeps me from having to install it and check it out myself. As someone who is as major stan for keeping the existing assets and features of morrowind the way they are, the over-cooked trainwreck of Rebirth is fascinating to me

https://streamable.com/shivh

distant land (far away) = vanilla
close up = rebirth

ebonheart in rebirth

e: someone made a list of cool town mods on a town-by-town basis
https://sites.google.com/view/kyromods/guides/guides-town-expansions

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ebonheart in rebirth

rofl

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

reminder that Rebirth removed the hair shirt of st alabrol from the game entirely, making the temple questline impossible to complete, because as a unique award artefact it was a bit unbalanced and therefore should be destroyed

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna make the best Morrowind overhaul ever. Planned changes:

- Player skills are capped at 10
- Player health, fatigue, and magicka capped at 10
- Gold coins weigh same as Dwemer cog
- Dungeons without a quest are removed
- Every NPC and creature buffed (doubled attack skill, hit points multiplied by 10)
- NPC inventory no longer lootable
- All weapons and armor above iron tier removed from game (NPC weapons not affected)
- NPCs attack the player if they don't like him (disp below 60), if the player fails a persuasion check, or if the player is sick
- Cliff racer and slaughterfish spawn increased
- Telvanni faction no longer joinable

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Sounds good but you might still need to reduce movement speed on top of that

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao rebirth rules

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
I have never played Skyrim - I played hours and hours of morrowind as a teenager and have some fond memories of oblivion as well, but I've never had any exposure to Skyrim excepting for a few screenshots.

Given the COVID lockdown time here in the UK I was thinking about finally getting around to it, I can see there is a more recent edition with updated graphics as well as the legacy version available to buy - which one should I go for?

Maybe I should forget that and just reinstall morrowind...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's no reason to not go for the new special edition, unless you're really into some weird esoteric mod that might not have been ported or an equivalent made.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Skyrim: Special Edition. Its greatest improvement isn't graphics but stability. I played 80-100 hours of it lately, laden down with a lot of elaborate mods, and only after dozens of hours did I start getting regular crashes, and always in the same circumstances, not based on time played or anything like that. (One of the mods was an incredibly detailed museum which is actual quite stable for what it was, but once I put literally a thousand items in there, it got a little unstable. Once I put two thousand in, I started feeling some trepidation about stopping by to check what more I could display.)

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
How does the overall experience compare? It was a AAA title in its day but how would you contrast it to the depth of the morrowind experience ?

Sadly I dont have the unlimited time to play games anymore. A lot of my fondness for morrowind stems from the carefree time in my life when I had the time to enjoy it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

General Ledger posted:

How does the overall experience compare? It was a AAA title in its day but how would you contrast it to the depth of the morrowind experience ?

Sadly I dont have the unlimited time to play games anymore. A lot of my fondness for morrowind stems from the carefree time in my life when I had the time to enjoy it.

The experience is way different. Skyrim is a decent action game/dungeon crawler with light role playing and an elder scrolls backdrop. It's a mile wide but inches deep, and I say this as someone with 1500 hours of Skyrim, and consistently go back to the game.

I played Morrowind the first time about a year ago and loved it, and am casually going through another play through now, but the games are so different they may as well be other genres.

If you try to go into Skyrim with a Morrowind mindset - breaking the game with alchemy et. al., finding hidden ebony gear at level 1, thoughtful dialogue and story, etc., you'll be disappointed.

For my money, Skyrim is still incredibly atmospheric and fun to explore, allows for a multitude of character builds, and has some nice set pieces. And punting people off mountains never gets old.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 6, 2020

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Magic sucks in Skyrim. It's boring and doesn't do anything fun the only good spell is like double fisting fireballs into people's faces and that's only because impact is a ludicrous perk and not because it does good damage.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

General Ledger posted:

skyrim is as much an rpg as call of duty is nowadays and i havent played the game since 2013.

i still semi-regularly play morrowind after 15 years and keep up with its still active modding community thats doing some real neato stuff

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Vavrek posted:

Skyrim: Special Edition. Its greatest improvement isn't graphics but stability. I played 80-100 hours of it lately, laden down with a lot of elaborate mods, and only after dozens of hours did I start getting regular crashes, and always in the same circumstances, not based on time played or anything like that. (One of the mods was an incredibly detailed museum which is actual quite stable for what it was, but once I put literally a thousand items in there, it got a little unstable. Once I put two thousand in, I started feeling some trepidation about stopping by to check what more I could display.)

Uhhh what is this museum mod? Kind of been looking for an excuse to mod out Skyrim again for a new playthrough.

Hearthfire was the best thing they did to that game for me, I’m a sucker for building up and decorating a home base.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Probably Legacy of the Dragonborn: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11802

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you're gonna play Skyrim I recommend playing without mods for an hour or two just to get a feel for it, then go ahead and mod the gently caress out of it. The Skyrim mod thread is pretty good for questions but the OP is woefully out of date.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787350

Personally, at minimum I'd go with either SPERG or Ordinator as a perk overhaul and Apocalypse spells for the magic. And if you aren't using Mod Organizer for Morrowind already, you definitely want to start for Skyrim.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Uhhh what is this museum mod? Kind of been looking for an excuse to mod out Skyrim again for a new playthrough.

Hearthfire was the best thing they did to that game for me, I’m a sucker for building up and decorating a home base.

Yep. Legacy is amazing and one of my favorite mods just for scratching the collection itch. It has little museum niches for goddamn everything in the game, adds tons of new stuff (to put in the museum) and fully supports several great mods (and Falskaar, which is pure garbage). It also contains a Safehouse which is one of the best put together custom player houses I've ever seen, and, well.

Best way to get around.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I will say that as someone who has played Elder Scrolls games since Daggerfall, I didn't care much for Skyrim after the awe of the initial opening moments until I downloaded SPERG, Legacy of the Dragonborn, and Apocalyse and the other mods made by the author (one of those is a perk overhaul that should generally be used instead of, rather than with SPERG-although I think someone made a mod merging them together). The story isn't nearly as good as Morrowind, nor is the world. But it's a fun dungeon crawler with those additions.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Vavrek posted:

Yep. Legacy is amazing and one of my favorite mods just for scratching the collection itch. It has little museum niches for goddamn everything in the game, adds tons of new stuff (to put in the museum) and fully supports several great mods (and Falskaar, which is pure garbage). It also contains a Safehouse which is one of the best put together custom player houses I've ever seen, and, well.

Best way to get around.

:eyepop::popeye::eyepop::popeye::eyepop::popeye::eyepop::popeye::eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Skyrim is a fun action/exploring/loving around game that can be made legitimately good with mods. It's not Morrowind and isn't trying to be, just take it on its own merits.

For the record I loving hated Oblivion and never expected to be saying the above, but it's much better than that game. Goofy and shallow as it is, it honestly has its own charm - typing this out is making me want to reinstall it again despite my massive backlog. There are some seriously impressive mods as well, these two only came out in the last couple of months and seem to genuinely turn the controls into something semi acceptable for an action game made this millenium.