Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Nobody’s going to add any nails to Jony Ives’ proverbial coffin—especially not about the iMac, which has arguably the clearest and most obvious continuity and intent in its design from the very first model until today, and is probably the closest thing he has to a signature product with an immediately recognizable aesthetic— and I really kinda wish that this line of dialogue would die, because it’s dumb as poo poo and reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of how product design at that level works.

Also the iMac already has a bunch of USB-A ports and an SD reader on the back, so like major :psyduck: there

No, I mean, I know the current iMac has those ports, but given what Apple have been Like lately, I fear the only reason they still have them is because the iMac is using a form factor that predates the point where Apple went all-in on TB3. Also, I think it would be neat if the most actively-used ports on the machine could live at the sides of it instead of at the back but with the current form factor that is physically impossible. I merely wish to state my hope that a hypothetical future redesign might a) keep these features and b) improve their functionality at a very manageable cost of making the sides thicker, which could easily be well accounted for in the said redesign in a way that evokes the existing form factors of the Macbook Pro, iPad Pro, and possibly the iPhone 12 if those rumours are true.

I've got no issue with the iMac form factor in concept - it's still functional, evocative, and iconic - other than that I don't think it needs to have those super-thin edges it has because of how infrequently it's ever viewed in profile (compared to, say, the MBA, where you're staring down that razor-edge-like front all the time while using it and it looks good as hell because the optical illusion is hitting you square-on).

I also also don't have quite the fully simplistic notion that Ive singlehandedly hijacked all of Apple's design processes and dictated that Henceforth Everything Will Be Thin and now that he's gone everything will be great again because no, that's not how design at this level works, but all the same it is a fact that he oversaw and is famous for having overseen Apple's design philosophy during the time when they made their thinnest ever products which happened to suffer the most, functionally, for being thin. The culture at the top matters, and coincidental or not the timing of his departure right before the moment when Apple began removing Those Keyboards from its range is powerfully symbolic (although this notably isn't a perfect coincidence - Ive still had a hand in the new Mac Pro, which certainly doesn't count an obsession with thinness among its problems). Whether or not it's really true, if you walk into a gathering of Mac fans and start talking about Ive's design influence, everyone is going to think thin, beautiful, compromised.

Binary Badger posted:

Same here, still running with an AirPort Extreme 802.11ac.

..Although I keep hearing good things about the UniFi Dream Machine as an AirPort Extreme on steroids; physically it's a little bigger but a round cylinder with 4 LAN ports and costs $299, but is infinitely more customizable than the AEBS ever was, and has a quad core 1.7 GHz processor as opposed to the dual core Broadcom processor running at 1.0 GHz in the AEBS.

The AEBS still has good specs for today, dedicated radios for each band, decent CPU, 512 MB RAM, 128 GB of flash (which I doubt they're using all of..). If I ever get gigabit at home, maybe it'll fall on its face then..

There's still a lot of potential for a new Airport if what OK Comboomer says is true; and Apple does seem to be willing to bring back features with popular demand, that got Ive'd away, like RAM sockets in the new generation Mac minis..

And what Fedule says is also right on the money; I don't see Apple being very happy at having to rely on the Apple TV as being the HomeKit hub, I'm sure they would prefer to be in control of all the aspects of their pocket environment once again as they did with the AEBS.

I have this recurring nightmare that Apple has announced a new Airport Extreme and it's now integrated into a HomePod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

Same here, still running with an AirPort Extreme 802.11ac.

..Although I keep hearing good things about the UniFi Dream Machine as an AirPort Extreme on steroids; physically it's a little bigger but a round cylinder with 4 LAN ports and costs $299, but is infinitely more customizable than the AEBS ever was, and has a quad core 1.7 GHz processor as opposed to the dual core Broadcom processor running at 1.0 GHz in the AEBS.

The AEBS still has good specs for today, dedicated radios for each band, decent CPU, 512 MB RAM, 128 GB of flash (which I doubt they're using all of..). If I ever get gigabit at home, maybe it'll fall on its face then..

There's still a lot of potential for a new Airport if what OK Comboomer says is true; and Apple does seem to be willing to bring back features with popular demand, that got Ive'd away, like RAM sockets in the new generation Mac minis..

Do you legitimately think Jony Ive had anything at all to say about whether the Mac Mini had RAM sockets on its mobo or not....?

(Especially given that they didn’t change the chassis virtually at all in three revisions, going from RAM sockets, to soldered-on RAM, and then back to sockets)

- - - -

Also Apple totally screwed up when they killed the Airport Express, which remains the best and, really, only way to connect a stereo system to Airplay (including an optical out combi-jack like on old OSX Macs).

Now you either need to get an Airplay-equipped receiver (not a dongle, I mean like the integrated amp-receiver, you know the thing you probably hoped to keep using and not replace), use a hack plus something like a raspberry pi to spoof an AirPlay access point, or go through an Apple TV/HDMI (so through a TV) or wired iOS device.

The fact that you can’t just get a $50-100 Airplay audio puck to connect to your existing stereo and that Apple never saw fit to release some kind of replacement for that function that the AExpress served really pisses me off. Most of their choices that make internet people mad often seem pretty nuanced or more complicated to me, but this feels like they wanted to push people toward all-in-ones and HomePods and poo poo and I haaaaate it (you will pry my vintage audiophile gear from my cold hands when I am in the grave).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Old AEXpress nodes don't work anymore either since you need a legacy version of AirPort Utility to connect them to the network.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ok Comboomer posted:

Do you legitimately think Jony Ive had anything at all to say about whether the Mac Mini had RAM sockets on its mobo or not....?

(Especially given that they didn’t change the chassis virtually at all in three revisions, going from RAM sockets, to soldered-on RAM, and then back to sockets)

Well when you put it that way, I guess not, on this point I'd be willing to concede that their removal wasn't (all) his fault.

quote:

Also Apple totally screwed up when they killed the Airport Express, which remains the best and, really, only way to connect a stereo system to Airplay (including an optical out combi-jack like on old OSX Macs).

Now you either need to get an Airplay-equipped receiver (not a dongle, I mean like the integrated amp-receiver, you know the thing you probably hoped to keep using and not replace), use a hack plus something like a raspberry pi to spoof an AirPlay access point, or go through an Apple TV/HDMI (so through a TV) or wired iOS device.

The fact that you can’t just get a $50-100 Airplay audio puck to connect to your existing stereo and that Apple never saw fit to release some kind of replacement for that function that the AExpress served really pisses me off. Most of their choices that make internet people mad often seem pretty nuanced or more complicated to me, but this feels like they wanted to push people toward all-in-ones and HomePods and poo poo and I haaaaate it (you will pry my vintage audiophile gear from my cold hands when I am in the grave).

I was kind of shocked when they killed the Express; as the only Airport device with an audio jack, I kind of wondered how they were going to provide similar compatibility in the future (they never did..)

I did note that they did still continue to support whomever had one, as Airport Firmware 7.8.1 was released solely to add Airplay 2 to extant Expresses.

Apple still appears to be keeping its eye on the Airport as they released Airport Firmware 7.9 in May of last year.. a full year past its AEBS 802.11ac EOL date of April 2018! That means that as of last year, Apple still retained enough wireless staff to add security and bug fixes to the the AEBS.. something they don't really do for discontinued hardware.

Makes you wonder if the reason they haven't put 802.11ax chips into MacBooks is because they're either waiting for the technology to refine itself further (which doesn't figure because there's already two models of iPhones with 802.11ax) or they're still cobbling together their own 802.11ax solution and don't want to bring MacBooks into the fold until they're ready..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

American McGay posted:

The iMac is perfect.

Ha try servicing one. How do you think that cat hair is going to get out of the chassis?

It needs to be serviceable from the back without removing the display and without any horrible risks to damage components. The most iconic Macs are the ones that are serviceable because they last the longest.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Airport was born into a world when home networking was absolute dogshit. It was born out of necessity for Apple's planned wireless future of their to operate at the best possible levels.

After several years the rest of the market finally caught up and brought out hardware that was good enough for most consumers. Apple didn't need to play in that space anymore so they quit.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Ha try servicing one. How do you think that cat hair is going to get out of the chassis?

It needs to be serviceable from the back without removing the display and without any horrible risks to damage components. The most iconic Macs are the ones that are serviceable because they last the longest.

I was briefly considering getting a used or refurb iMac and replacing the slow, terrible 5400rpm drive with a big cheap SSD, then i looked up a video on how to get the hard drive out :stare:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Clark Nova posted:

I was briefly considering getting a used or refurb iMac and replacing the slow, terrible 5400rpm drive with a big cheap SSD, then i looked up a video on how to get the hard drive out :stare:

But on the flip side Macs that are hard to service usually (usually) are cheaper on the used market for said reason if you're a masochist.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not only that, but in 2012 iMacs and up, the main drive is still SATA 3.

The only iMacs worth upgrading to an NVME SSD are the 2015 and up since the dedicated SSD slot is PCIe 3.0 X 4, which yields a theoretical max transfer rate of 4000 MB/sec, closer to 3500-3600 MB/sec with overhead figured in.

2012-2014 iMacs only had PCIe 2.0 x 2 channels, which meant the SSD could only operate around 700-800 MB/sec; faster than a regular SATA 3 connection but not by very much.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ok Comboomer posted:

I just have my AppleTV connected to my receiver, and airplay to it works great without the TV turning on at all. :shrug:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Clark Nova posted:

You could always use an external SSD

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

101 posted:

This actually works surprisingly well. I even used a USB3 SSD to run a Hackintosh for several months and it flew.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah I say that cause it's what I'm doing now

Got a cheap iMac my work was selling off. The 5400 RPM hard drive was making me want to commit. Looked up how to replace them. Noped the gently caress out of doing it myself. Getting an external one was cheaper than paying someone to replace the internal one.

Works flawlessly

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

101 posted:

Looked up how to replace them. Noped the gently caress out of doing it myself.

When I had a 2010, my housemate at the time was a Genius and I would take him any issues I had and he'd happily pull out a toolkit in the house and make the necessary repairs.

He laughed and absolutely point blank refused to do an SSD upgrade on the iMac in a house with a cat, and I don't blame him.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Aren't there rumored AirPods, wireless headphones, and a new HomePod? Any of those could be announced at wwdc.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also the mythical Powermat may rise from the dead

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm ready for the P-P-Powermat!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

phosdex posted:

Aren't there rumored AirPods, wireless headphones, and a new HomePod? Any of those could be announced at wwdc.

The mythical Apple on-ear wireless headphones are supposed to be coming any day now, so that's a definite possibility.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Those tile things.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
If we're making wishes: an iMac with
  • VESA mount compatibility
  • A couple ports on the side (actually, maybe along the top or bottom edge instead, to keep them accessible in multi-display setups)
  • Target Display Mode

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Subjunctive posted:

I just have my AppleTV connected to my receiver, and airplay to it works great without the TV turning on at all. :shrug:

That’s cool, but I assume you use HDMI either to an AV receiver or to a TV and then use something like an optical pass-through to get audio out to the receiver.

If you want to connect something like an Apple TV to, say, a stereo receiver that doesn’t have HDMI ports, and/or that maybe sits in an entertainment cabinet with no TV connected anywhere, then you need to use a convoluted work-around (HDMI to optical/RCA converter, or similar) or go through a TV of some sort.

No audio-only receiver uses HDMI as its audio connections.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The mythical Apple on-ear wireless headphones are supposed to be coming any day now, so that's a definite possibility.

Aren’t there beats on-ears already?

Also, gently caress on-ear headphones.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

101 posted:

My wife was complaining that her 2015 5K iMac was slow and a T5 external SSD did the trick. There was no way I was opening that up myself, so I'm really glad it did.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The new imac is gonna have the fusion drive still

eames
May 9, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

The new imac is gonna have the fusion drive still

... as an option! The base model will have a SMR boot drive.:allears:

I really want a new AirPort Extreme. Mine functions as a simple AP and it works so well that I forget it exists at all. It performs better than mid-high end UniFi gear for my particular use case.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If Apple does give us a new AEBS, they'll probably overengineer it and slap an A12 or A13 inside along with 802.11ax.

If that's all Apple did and left the same features / GUI as the previous models, I'd be deliriously happy. Maybe QoS too since it'll get a quadcore CPU..

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

I did that back in December. It wasn't much of a problem frankly. But I've been taking Apple poo poo apart for years so I just went slowly and everything went well.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

tuyop posted:

Aren’t there beats on-ears already?

Also, gently caress on-ear headphones.

That's part of why Apple's rumored on-ear headphones are super weird: a. Beats is most known for their on-ear wireless headphones b. On-ear headphones kind of suck wirelessly and aren't particularly popular compared to IEMs/earbud style. I'm sure the things will sell like hotcakes like nearly every Apple product, though maybe that isn't a given these days with the Homepod never taking off.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

That's part of why Apple's rumored on-ear headphones are super weird: a. Beats is most known for their on-ear wireless headphones b. On-ear headphones kind of suck wirelessly and aren't particularly popular compared to IEMs/earbud style. I'm sure the things will sell like hotcakes like nearly every Apple product, though maybe that isn't a given these days with the Homepod never taking off.

I meant on-ear versus over-ear. I agree that it seems like people much prefer earbuds, though.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am putting Windows onto my Mac. Do I need an activated version if all I want is Steam? Is Kinguin legit?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

I am putting Windows onto my Mac. Do I need an activated version if all I want is Steam? Is Kinguin legit?

Eventually Microsoft will bug you every chance they get, but I think everything would work Ok. There’s a dude selling licenses for $10 or so in SA Mart FWIW.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Windows 10 barely cares if you activate it. It will bug you once in a while but that’s it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Win10 won't let you do some of the personalization settings if you don't activate it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

phosdex posted:

Win10 won't let you do some of the personalization settings if you don't activate it.

it is a far cry from the old days where it wouldn't work at all . the bad times

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You can still install and activate Win10 with a Win7 or Win8 key, right? Did they ever stop that? Pretty sure my desktop is activated with a years old Win7 Pro edu key.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Pivo posted:

You can still install and activate Win10 with a Win7 or Win8 key, right? Did they ever stop that? Pretty sure my desktop is activated with a years old Win7 Pro edu key.

Yeah, it still works.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What would be best practice for syncing photos and videos between the Mac photo app, iPhone, iPad, and an external hard drive

Right now I have the setting to auto sync between my iPhone and iPad turned on in a way that doesn’t upload them to iCloud - will that work with the photo app as well or do I need to manually sync?

Is it possible to manually offload part of a photo collection to an external hard drive or is it a database type of situation that will confuse the app?

All these files are auto uploaded to OneDrive as well if that makes a difference?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can anyone recommend a good solution to VNC (or screen sharing) into my iMac from Windows so that it does not disrupt the user physically logged in AND being able to copy/paste between the two?

I have this working with RealVNC VNC Viewer running on my Windows machine and selecting the IP address of the iMac. It asks for which user and credentials and it merrily provides me a VNC instance, but copy/paste does not work.

If I add the Mac to the RealVNC server product it will only allow me to take full control of the computer and disrupts the person physically using it.

I'm nearly into the arrangement that I'm looking for but copy/paste is the last bit to get me into a Mac environment without having to physically have one in my setup.

Appreciate any insights, thanks!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pivo posted:

Just just did it minutes ago with an old EDU key I gave to a friend who’s probably dumpstered their win7 PC by now. Win7 OEM sticker keys work too. I’ve upgraded some dumpster machines this way too.

Good thing every time I found a key I would email it to myself for safe keeping. Now I just use a google sheet to track them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

TraderStav posted:

Can anyone recommend a good solution to VNC (or screen sharing) into my iMac from Windows so that it does not disrupt the user physically logged in AND being able to copy/paste between the two?

I have this working with RealVNC VNC Viewer running on my Windows machine and selecting the IP address of the iMac. It asks for which user and credentials and it merrily provides me a VNC instance, but copy/paste does not work.

If I add the Mac to the RealVNC server product it will only allow me to take full control of the computer and disrupts the person physically using it.

I'm nearly into the arrangement that I'm looking for but copy/paste is the last bit to get me into a Mac environment without having to physically have one in my setup.

Appreciate any insights, thanks!

Pretty sure Anydesk has copy and paste, you have to enable it in the file menu from memory.