Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I feel like it should be way easier to write right now and I’m struggling to get down 500 words a day, which is like a hard lovely minimum I use if I’m absolutely blown up by other events and can’t get in front of a computer until very late. I want to be writing 2500. I’m operating at motherfucking 20%. This is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Captain Magic posted:

I feel like it should be way easier to write right now and I’m struggling to get down 500 words a day, which is like a hard lovely minimum I use if I’m absolutely blown up by other events and can’t get in front of a computer until very late. I want to be writing 2500. I’m operating at motherfucking 20%. This is stupid.

Nah, I don’t think you’re alone at all with this. I’ve had pretty much zero inspiration to even touch my music projects for pretty much the entire time this thing’s been going on.

Turns out (for a lot of people) sitting on your rear end at home 24/7 is bad for creativity and productivity, who’d have guessed

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

coconono posted:

I've never been super duper into WH40k gaming(I did it when I was an early teen but the costs were out of my pricerange) but I've always loved the fiction it churns out. And ts largely because of Abnett's work(although he'll be the first to list off a bunch of names with reasons why they're so important to the IP).

And yeah the Inquisitor books are some high end gothic scifi horror. Worth tracking down.

The good thing is that in recent years, the Games Workshop guys have woken up and realized that while your truly hardcore 40k grognards still want a game where you can build a gigantic 5,000 point army with tons of poo poo and that costs your average person's yearly salary to buy, there is an increasingly larger fanbase that mostly wants a smaller-scale skirmish game with just one or two squads of figures. Partly because it costs less money, but also because it costs less in terms of time (assembling and painting figures, setting up the table, etc.), and in terms of real estate (IIRC, your average 40k game requires a 6ft x 4ft space to set up and play on. Whereas your average skirmish game usually only needs a 4ft x 4ft or 3ft x 3ft space, and some games can even be played on a 2ft x 2ft space). There was a long period of time where they ceded that particular type of gaming market space to other companies and games (Warmachine/Hordes, Guild Ball, Infinity, Malifaux, etc. etc.), but after some shakeups (including booting their CEO out and off the board of directors), they've apparently realized they were leaving money on the table, and have been going after the casual skirmish game market pretty solidly for a while now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The good thing is that in recent years, the Games Workshop guys have woken up and realized that while your truly hardcore 40k grognards still want a game where you can build a gigantic 5,000 point army with tons of poo poo and that costs your average person's yearly salary to buy, there is an increasingly larger fanbase that mostly wants a smaller-scale skirmish game with just one or two squads of figures. Partly because it costs less money, but also because it costs less in terms of time (assembling and painting figures, setting up the table, etc.), and in terms of real estate (IIRC, your average 40k game requires a 6ft x 4ft space to set up and play on. Whereas your average skirmish game usually only needs a 4ft x 4ft or 3ft x 3ft space, and some games can even be played on a 2ft x 2ft space). There was a long period of time where they ceded that particular type of gaming market space to other companies and games (Warmachine/Hordes, Guild Ball, Infinity, Malifaux, etc. etc.), but after some shakeups (including booting their CEO out and off the board of directors), they've apparently realized they were leaving money on the table, and have been going after the casual skirmish game market pretty solidly for a while now.

I really wanted to get into the Inquisitor game system they had running because the figures were gorgeous and it was a way cheaper buy in. But by that point, my social circle tended towards the snort and swallow crowd instead of the dice and calculator crowd.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Chris James 2 posted:

the Happy Death Day films

Underrated films. Love the first to death, appreciate the hell out of the second for being a sequel while doing something different.

When someone asks me to recommend a horror film to see if they'll like the genre, I usually recommend these two movies along with the original Halloween and Get Out.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Speaking of Warhammer 40k, in my deep dive of all things board game over the last week I found out that Forbidden Stars is both apparently excellent and completely unavailable unless you spend way over MSRP.

Scarcity and FOMO are another one of the tiks on my “I’m too dumb to not have this hobby” hobby list.

What’s that, you say? Might as well get into the Arkham Horror card game that’s continuously out of stock? Way ahead of you!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember when the 2nd edition of Blood Bowl was the hard to get have to get item. It was the edition that had the styrofoam pitch unlike later versions that would just be a laminated sheet.

When I moved out of my parents house, I'd completely forgotten about it and told them they could goodwill whatever I'm too busy drinking blood and having unprotected sex. So someone got a complete box of Blood Bowl for like $3.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

coconono posted:

I really wanted to get into the Inquisitor game system they had running because the figures were gorgeous and it was a way cheaper buy in. But by that point, my social circle tended towards the snort and swallow crowd instead of the dice and calculator crowd.

Don't feel bad, the game never really took off because the figures were 54mm scale and nobody but the truly hardcore 40k fans ended up buying them (mostly for painting/diorama stuff). A lot of their existing fans either didn't want to invest in a new game that was larger than the 28mm standard, or didn't get that it was supposed to be more of a narrative RPG with some wargame elements (and those that did just used homebrewed rules for doing Inquisitor in 28mm).

Pity, though, the figures were nice, I wish I'd gotten around to picking up a couple of 'em to paint...

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I bought the Inquisitor starter game with my brother back then

Really nice figures. I don’t think we ever played anything with them once it turned out it was more like an RPG system than anything else

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Brut posted:

I guess you haven't heard they canceled the gathering this year, since Juggalos are good responsible folk unlike our government.

I didn't mean to make a juggalo joke and forgot they called it the gathering lol

Unless extradite this is a juggalo in which case sorry your gathering got cancelled

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I want to go to a gathering. I want to experience that hellish world for myself firsthand just once.

They got Morris Day last year

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

Arcanum is as amazing as it is janky. The most OP build in the game is a mentally deficient ogre with a rapier. The game even has special NPC text for talking to characters with exceptionally low intelligence. And talking as a character with exceptionally low intelligence.

The best part of this build: Buying intelligence increasing potions and pumping yourself high enough with the potions to make your own intelligence increasing potions. Once you've done that you can switch between being dumb as a rock and being super intelligent (both of which had different from normal dialogue options and results) as you desired.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i love horror. i got started watching horror movies with my grandma when i was definitely way too young to watch most of them. thanks grandma!

through that i also got into reading stephen king. 'salems lot is my favorite book. he has a way of writing that really makes you envision the small towns he sets his stories in, and builds terror and anxiety like few others.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

I want to go to a gathering. I want to experience that hellish world for myself firsthand just once.

They got Morris Day last year

From the stories I've heard from people that have gone as long as you don't mind some really unfortunate naked bodies and weed/drugs the people there do treat each other like family and it's alot less scary than you'd think

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

From the stories I've heard from people that have gone as long as you don't mind some really unfortunate naked bodies and weed/drugs the people there do treat each other like family and it's alot less scary than you'd think

I dont think its scary. you are describing an average midwestern dorm bathroom/shower area. I think it is merely tragic, anthropologically

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

I dont think its scary. you are describing an average midwestern dorm bathroom/shower area. I think it is merely tragic, anthropologically

Fair enough

When I think hellish world I think somewhere I'd never want to be but if I had to roll with some juggalos for an evening I've probably done much worse. At worst I'd get really drunk, high and covered in faygo and where I'm from that's just a day ending in Y

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If I had to pick between burning man or the gathering I'd pick the gathering every time. No way rich desert hippies are more fun then juggalos.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Burning Man smells better and has better music I bet

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I dunno as far as hygiene they're probably pretty close

At least with the juggalos they don't try to pretend to be better than anyone else they embrace the trash

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gathering has better drugs and less unwanted hands down crop tops

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Spoken like someone who hasn't been trapped on a road trip with burners listening to psytrance for hours while sober.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

coconono posted:

gathering has better drugs and less unwanted hands down crop tops

fewer objectivists too, I bet

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Bluedeanie posted:

Juggalos are disgusting, I’d much rather do MY drugs with venture capitalists

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Music festivals are my literal hell. As much as I've genuinely enjoyed taking hallucinogenics in large grassy fields on hot summer nights.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah I'm over them nowadays. There's only so many times you can puke with thousand people watching you.

Anyway, so I stumbled across this story and had to share with you all

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/1258127935547961344

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

yeah I'm over them nowadays. There's only so many times you can puke with thousand people watching you.

Anyway, so I stumbled across this story and had to share with you all

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/1258127935547961344

Jesus. People are so incredibly dumb about boats and being on the water. What an insanely dangerous idea if you have no experience.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I hate live music and large crowds of people. It's the reason I gave Jazz Fest a pass despite living in New Orleans during my childhood.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gumball Gumption posted:

Jesus. People are so incredibly dumb about boats and being on the water. What an insanely dangerous idea if you have no experience.

how do you forget life jackets. how.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Dangerously crowded, against fire code hardcore shows in basements are my absolute poo poo.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Juggalos are disgusting, I’d much rather do MY drugs with venture capitalists

rule number one of hard drugs: make sure you can beat up anyone youre tripping with

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love live music, but only in small venues. Music festivals aren't remotely interesting to me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NienNunb posted:

Dangerously crowded, against fire code hardcore shows in basements are my absolute poo poo.

the best part was seeing bands loving RIP and then find out they broke up a week later because the singer had been shorting everyone on rent. For 15 minutes the heavens opened up and all light and sound became truly revelatory.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The big "prestigious" music venue in my town of about 130k had banned ICP for like 15 years because they absolutely wrecked the place and damaged prohibition-era building fixtures and then skipped town without paying for anything. The owner was livid and the ban wasnt lifted until he sold the place. They came back later and seeing our quaint little downtown teaming with juggalos was a highlight of my comfortable and uninteresting life

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Juggalos and Bebe's Kids, amirite? *uncomfortable laughter from the audience*

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

NienNunb posted:

Arcanum..

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I met a new really good fun friend and lost another one. It has come to my attention that apparently the universe allows me only a limited number of friends

I'm still okay with the switch ultimately though, if it's gotta be like that

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm sorry that guy transfered to kentucky but please still be my friend

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

i'm sorry that guy transfered to kentucky but please still be my friend

You are always my friend cavauro :)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008