Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Democrats hate the left so much that they are willing to cede the moral high ground on basically every one of their platform planks purely out of spite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Xombie posted:

All you have to do is look at the actual voting of suburban voters for the last 3 years. It's consistently shifted blue. Republicans have lost 9 governorships, including in states he needs in order to win the electoral college.

You could have made this analysis from 2009 to 2011 and wrongly concluded that Obama would lose to Romney, no?

Dems did horribly in midterms, special elections, etc. and then Obama won the presidency.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/davecatanese/status/1258113085585358853

lmao

I'm not sure the Dems are prepared for some of the ways Trump is going to be attacking them

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

They're moving to vote-by-mail. They're not canceling any of the other primaries, just the presidential one. It's 100% an attempt to suppress the vote, nothing more, and pretending otherwise just proves that you're not being genuine. Though those quotation marks, which I assume represent you quoting someone's criticism of Biden's campaign telling people in other states to go vote in-person in the primaries and lying about what the CDC recommended, imply that as well and strongly suggest you're just being spiteful here.

also, they only stopped in-person primaries immediately after bernie dropped

it was a literal hostage situation

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah, fair, I'll rescind the "melodramatic" there. Like I said, everybody's vote is their own, so there's no "illegitimate" reason on which to base your decision. I, personally, don't view who I vote for as a reflection on myself, but I respect that other people do.
I'm curious how who you vote for isn't a reflection on you. Do you think the same about trump voters? I know many minorities who had to stop being friends with a lot of people, or even sever from family who voted for trump, because we see thinking we deserve rights and are seen as humans is incompatible with voting for trump. Do you disagree?

RBA Starblade posted:

Maybe they don't want more voters "choking to death on their own blood".

So why not cancel the election entirely? Why cancel at all when we've already moved to mail in voting? Why does everyone keep commenting on the ny election poo poo without even googling it first? Why are people defending voter suppression?

eta:

Yinlock posted:

also, they only stopped in-person primaries immediately after bernie dropped

it was a literal hostage situation

Literally hours after!

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

RBA Starblade posted:

Maybe they don't want more voters "choking to death on their own blood".

I shouldn't have to tell you this but cancelled votes are not democratic and aren't a good look for a party trying to position itself as morally superior with regards to voter suppression. Additionally, it's the year 2020 and there's absolutely no loving reason votes cannot occur without physical polling locations. There is no genuine reason we could not just vote by mail, and everyone opposed has an ulterior motive. Period.

I will fight this fight as someone who is still extremely angry that the Biden campaign proselytized pandemic voting as "safe" against all advice and did not, in fact, push for any sort of vote by mail, a delay in voting, or even put out a general "hey, it might be risky to hold elections while we're also excoriating Trump for not shutting down the country" until they had a sufficiently squishy GOP punching bag in Wisconsin.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
oh yeah don't forget that the primary had also already been postponed once before they made this decision

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

luv 2 have not even voted yet and be told that The Party Decided based on some insurance industry flak representing the most conservative bloc of the party and I need to fall in line lmfao, get hosed you stupid as poo poo idiots, your candidate hates me and I hate him.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Araenna posted:

Literally hours after!

it's always infuriating seeing dems seamlessly meld together into ruthless monsters marching in lockstep when it comes to stopping the left, then immediately bumbling off when it's time to actually fight the right

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Pedro De Heredia posted:

You could have made this analysis from 2009 to 2011 and wrongly concluded that Obama would lose to Romney, no?

Dems did horribly in midterms, special elections, etc. and then Obama won the presidency.

No, because Obama himself was still extremely popular. Obama won 52% of the vote in 2008 and 51% in 2012 (vs Mccain 45% and Romney 47%). If Trump loses that much support and the Dems gain that much support, he'd be losing with Biden getting a majority of the popular vote. The same shifts would result in Biden winning not just a majority of votes but easily the electoral college as well.

Obama's worst approval ratings are comparable to Trump's best.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

some brave reporter needs to ask Biden straight up how he plans on addressing deficit spending for COVID and the debt ceiling and it's a shame it'll never happen because those two things alone are all I need to ruminate on to absolve myself of any notion that he may deliver even a single popular or progressive promise

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Epic High Five posted:

some brave reporter needs to ask Biden straight up how he plans on addressing deficit spending for COVID and the debt ceiling and it's a shame it'll never happen because those two things alone are all I need to ruminate on to absolve myself of any notion that he may deliver even a single popular or progressive promise
He'll be fully onboard with austerity if he gets elected, book it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Xombie posted:

No, because Obama himself was still extremely popular. Obama won 52% of the vote in 2008 and 51% in 2012 (vs Mccain 45% and Romney 47%). If Trump loses that much support and the Dems gain that much support, he'd be losing with Biden getting a majority of the popular vote. The same shifts would result in Biden winning not just a majority of votes but easily the electoral college as well.

Obama's worst approval ratings are comparable to Trump's best.

Joe Biden is not Barack Obama

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Yinlock posted:

Joe Biden is not Barack Obama

Correct. The question was about Trump being Barack Obama.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Epic High Five posted:

I was curious so I checked his website (https://joebiden.com/covid19/) and this seems vaguely positive.

quote:

The American people deserve an urgent, robust, and professional response to the growing public health and economic crisis caused by the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. That is why Joe Biden is outlining a plan to mount:

A decisive public health response that ensures the wide availability of free testing; the elimination of all cost barriers to preventive care and treatment for COVID-19; the development of a vaccine; and the full deployment and operation of necessary supplies, personnel, and facilities.

A decisive economic response that starts with emergency paid leave for all those affected by the outbreak and gives all necessary help to workers, families, and small businesses that are hit hard by this crisis. Make no mistake: this will require an immediate set of ambitious and progressive economic measures, and further decisive action to address the larger macro-economic shock from this outbreak.

Biden believes we must spend whatever it takes, without delay, to meet public health needs and deal with the mounting economic consequences. The federal government must act swiftly and aggressively to help protect and support our families, small businesses, first responders and caregivers essential to help us face this challenge, those who are most vulnerable to health and economic impacts, and our broader communities – not to blame others or bail out corporations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the topic of the Biden campaign and its surrogates lying constantly:

https://twitter.com/HRC/status/1258021194093047808
https://twitter.com/IAmKevinBates/status/1258119949979131905
https://twitter.com/SimplyStapha/status/1258115936575463425

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

He'll be fully onboard with austerity if he gets elected, book it

ya lol, like with Trump the Dems will probably block the gutting of SS/Medicare, PROBABLY, but under Biden it's absolutely gonna happen and tons of other terrible stuff, all in the name of f i s c a l r e s p o n s i b i l i t y

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Yinlock posted:

it's always infuriating seeing dems seamlessly meld together into ruthless monsters marching in lockstep when it comes to stopping the left, then immediately bumbling off when it's time to actually fight the right

The fact that they accomplished their evil bullshit (and it's transparently evil, there's no justification for it and I'll slap down any limp-dicked "for safety" poo poo no problem) and then had it overturned and didn't just eat the loving loss has me extra chuffed. They're all-in on voter suppression at this point.

I don't take pleasure in the ratfucking but there's a certain catharsis in having your "conspiracy theory" assertions verified on public record in the court of law.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Xombie posted:

You still framed it as "if joe's performance matches obama's then"

Obama is a terrible human being but a once-in-a-generation political talent(e: and he still barely beat mitt romney, most evily boring man in the world, in 2012 because mitt torpedoed himself like a moron) Biden has been disqualified from running for president twice for plagiarism and cannot go 5 seconds without sexually assaulting any woman or girl he sees

and yes, it can be argued that Trump also does that, but Trump's base does not care.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 6, 2020

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Xombie posted:

Trump's proven that he wields power more effectively than Obama and especially Biden, and the people you desperately need in order to beat Trump are not going to vote for your party.

Latinos, blue-collar workers, progressives, and pretty much anyone who's younger than 40 is just not excited to vote for the avatar of rapist senility (yes, I know that describes Trump too).

The only people that excitedly want to vote for Biden are... uh... insurance executives and consultants? Y'know, the same people that propelled Obama to victory and who were then betrayed by him the day he got into power.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Yinlock posted:

You still framed it as "if joe's performance matches obama's then"

Obama is a terrible human being but a once-in-a-generation political talent, Biden has been disqualified from running for president twice for plagiarism and cannot go 5 seconds without sexually assaulting any woman or girl he sees

No, I didn't. Read it again. I was talking about the hypothetical where Trump's loss of support matches Obama's, and Biden's performance vs Hillary as compared to Romney's performance vs Mccain's.

Again, my point is that 2012 isn't actually comparable due to Trump not being as popular as Obama was.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

ya lol, like with Trump the Dems will probably block the gutting of SS/Medicare, PROBABLY, but under Biden it's absolutely gonna happen and tons of other terrible stuff, all in the name of f i s c a l r e s p o n s i b i l i t y

if they actually replace Biden with Cuomo it'll be even worse, that dude loving loves austerity to the point where he refuses federal aid so he has an excuse to impose it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

How are u posted:

I was curious so I checked his website (https://joebiden.com/covid19/) and this seems vaguely positive.

fiscal conservatives like Biden consider taxes on the wealthy to pay for social programs to be blaming others, there's zero actual promises here, and it doesn't even address the debt ceiling placed specifically 6 months into term 1 or 2 to give cover for the nominee to ignore all previous promises

Why in Gods name can't he just give us the sort of concrete promises that his donors and legacy chuds like Summers get

lol goddamn HRC loving sucks

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

He is a known liar. He lies, boldly and often. So what are those words worth?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

COVID-19 posted:

Latinos, blue-collar workers, progressives, and pretty much anyone who's younger than 40 is just not excited to vote for the avatar of rapist senility (yes, I know that describes Trump too).

I'm pretty sure that all of those folks, even if unexcited, are going to turn out hard to vote Trump out. I think it's going to be a small, but extraordinarily vocal, minority of folks who stay home just because of Biden if Biden is indeed the nominee.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sharkie posted:

He is a known liar. He lies, boldly and often. So what are those words worth?

He's a very bad liar but he loves lying anyway

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

like the DOMA act isn't even the worst example to point to - Biden was explicitly and proudly anti-gay marriage in 2008, to the point of making it a moment with Palin during the VP debates

I think he's turned around on it in a very "I still would never trust him" way because it's rhetorically convenient while giving no fiscal grounds, but like his record on this is HORRIBLE, worse than Trump's even who did not even give the first poo poo his whole life

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Yinlock posted:

if they actually replace Biden with Cuomo it'll be even worse, that dude loving loves austerity to the point where he refuses federal aid so he has an excuse to impose it

If anything this election cycle has made me hyper-vigilant about consent being manufactured by the media and I've made it a point to poo poo talk Cuomo to anyone bringing him up.

It's really easy when he's actively impeding elections and cutting healthcare spending during a pandemic. I will not let stupid idolization bullshit like Trevor Noah paint the narrative if I can help it.

I'm not gonna wind up with another lovely presidential candidate because we allowed them to be meme'd into relative harmlessness like Biden.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

How are u posted:

this has to be some kind of fetish, there's no other reason to give joe biden of all people this much benefit of the doubt

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

How are u posted:

I'm pretty sure that all of those folks, even if unexcited, are going to turn out hard to vote Trump out. I think it's going to be a small, but extraordinarily vocal, minority of folks who stay home just because of Biden if Biden is indeed the nominee.

Considering how the DNC just spat in their faces and told them to go gently caress themselves, I would doubt that

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xombie posted:

No, I didn't. Read it again. I was talking about the hypothetical where Trump's loss of support matches Obama's, and Biden's performance vs Hillary as compared to Romney's performance vs Mccain's.

Again, my point is that 2012 isn't actually comparable due to Trump not being as popular as Obama was.

it's not a good data point because while it's true that Trump isn't as popular as Obama was, neither is Biden

It all comes back to 2016 and casting chicken bones to divine outcomes where a massive enthusiasm gap leads to a win

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747
My favorite thing about the Biden website is how proud they are of this:

Biden's oil industry buddies posted:

Ensure the U.S. achieves a 100% clean energy economy and reaches net-zero emissions no later than 2050.

It's like... what do you even do with this.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Yinlock posted:

Considering how the DNC just spat in their faces and told them to go gently caress themselves, I would doubt that

Just because you feel that the DNC has done this to you does not mean that everybody else feels the same way. I suspect you are in the minority here, and I suspect that most people who would have preferred another candidate will gladly help elect Biden to get rid of Trump.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

COVID-19 posted:

- Ensure good things happen long, long after I could ever be held accountable for stopping them

How are u posted:

Just because you feel that the DNC has done this to you does not mean that everybody else feels the same way. I suspect you are in the minority here, and I suspect that most people who would have preferred another candidate will gladly help elect Biden to get rid of Trump.

I "feel" like the DNC did that because they did

Also why would "gladly" help elect Biden when Biden hasn't offered them anything

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 6, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Yinlock posted:

He's a very bad liar but he loves lying anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvOjlfRpXHQ

these happened while he still had a functioning brain

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

COVID-19 posted:

Trump's proven that he wields power more effectively than Obama and especially Biden, and the people you desperately need in order to beat Trump are not going to vote for your party.

The only people that excitedly want to vote for Biden are... uh... insurance executives and consultants? Y'know, the same people that propelled Obama to victory and who were then betrayed by him the day he got into power.

People are almost never "excited" to vote. The population of people that vote has ranged from 50-55% since 1972. 2008 was an outlier. The people that the Dems need to vote for them are the people that vote all the time but don't always vote for them: white people with degrees and suburbanites. These people have voted increasingly for the Dems in every chance they could since Trump got elected.

Trump's "effective wielding of power" resulted in him not being able to repeal Obamacare, the #1 goal of the GOP for nearly a decade, with majority control of all three branches of government.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

How are u posted:

They didn't turn out for Hillary, they won't turn out for Biden. Why would they? Biden represents a shift to the right, not to the left. He's literally friends with the republicans.

You may think that those groups of people (young Latinx, workers, etc...) are too stupid to realize what the Dems are doing, but I think it's clear that they are aware and won't be held hostage.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

COVID-19 posted:

Net zero by 2050 might as well be doing nothing

Biden doesn't give a poo poo, he'll be dead by the end of the decade

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

COVID-19 posted:

They didn't turn out for Hillary, they won't turn out for Biden. Why would they? Biden represents a shift to the right, not to the left. He's literally friends with the republicans.

You may think that those groups of people (young Latinx, workers, etc...) are too stupid to realize what the Dems are doing, but I think it's clear that they are aware and won't be held hostage.

I don't think that people vote based on ideology in anywhere near the numbers that you seem to think they do. I think it's going to be as simple as people have spent 4 years living in a hell world of Trump's creation, and they will want to change that. If people voted based on ideology then Sanders, whose platform was widely popular among Dem voters, wouldn't have struggled so hard with and ultimately lost because of his ceiling.

We're highly engaged politics nerds on the internet. People outside of our demographic just don't think of the world in ideological terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Xombie posted:

People are almost never "excited" to vote. The population of people that vote has ranged from 50-55% since 1972. 2008 was an outlier. The people that the Dems need to vote for them are the people that vote all the time but don't always vote for them: white people with degrees and suburbanites. These people have voted increasingly for the Dems in every chance they could since Trump got elected.

Trump's "effective wielding of power" resulted in him not being able to repeal Obamacare, the #1 goal of the GOP for nearly a decade, with majority control of all three branches of government. It's resulted in him losing the House in 2018 despite gerrymandering in favor of the GOP.

And how many judges did the way him and the republicans wield power get them? Not just SCOTUS judges, but federal judges too. How much wealth have they succeeded in transferring to the elites? How many government agencies have been gutted, and how many have been corrupted with right-wing sycophants? How much of our national culture and ideology has been shifted to the right? The sheer amount of victories the republicans have gotten their base should worry you.

What victory does the left have in the past 20 years? Obamacare, maybe? I can't think of anything else.

The republicans are way smarter than the Dems, and voters know this. The media is another part of this equation that will not help the Dems but will certainly harm their odds. This idea pushed by the democratic establishment that Biden is to be the nominee despite his horrific track record is proof that the elites do not and will not care about what we demand.