Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I, too, enjoy Monster Energy(TM)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

God I'm gonna have to learn how to paint black armour aren't I....

Painting black armour is easy as hell, highlighting it however …

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

God I'm gonna have to learn how to paint black armour aren't I....

The trick is to not actually paint it fully black, more of a very very dark grey.

Vince's got you covered as usual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOhHSwNqxS4

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

You can also watch this Darren Latham quickly before he deletes his channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN6cFr7Xt_Y

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Be careful watching people like Darren Latham, lest ye fall into the Vortex Of Endless Perfection. Remember to judge your work by your own standards, not someone else’s: paint five things, the fifth will look better than the first. Under no circumstances look at flameonminiatures on instagram, lest ye be blinded or cast down in despair.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
That's why I like Vince Venturella, he gives you fast or detailed options and always tells you "It's okay to stop here. But if you want to go further, here are 50 more steps you could do. Feel free to stop at any of these."

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Endman posted:

I, too, enjoy Monster Energy(TM)

how do you think they grow space marines

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

how do you think they grow space marines

Actually they use The Emperor's Energy (TM) which is made from the blood of heretics. :science:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

so the Know no Fear box i splurged out on while a place was having a sale turned up, and I'm having to think of a paint scheme for the marines

Right now my two top choices are:

Left one is likely easier for me, an idiot who is bad, to do, but i like both of them a lot

The Xbox marines are for sure more dramatic, but allow me to take what might be the unpopular opinion and say I prefer green and orange. Understand that this is entirely because those are my two favorite colors, so a scheme using both of them makes me go all heart-eyes, but i figured I’d at least weigh in with my completely biased opinion.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

so the Know no Fear box i splurged out on while a place was having a sale turned up, and I'm having to think of a paint scheme for the marines

Right now my two top choices are:

Left one is likely easier for me, an idiot who is bad, to do, but i like both of them a lot

I really like both of these and feel there isn't a wrong option. Both schemes would make a cool kill team.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I feel like the green chest eagle pops really hard off the black armour in a way that the orange one just doesn’t off the green

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Torquemada posted:

Painting black armour is easy as hell, highlighting it however …

Basically this. When I did my Deathwatch kill team painting the armor black was easy. It was then the highlights of all the edges that was hard. it turned out okay for tabletop and my first time doing black, but it has certainly turned me off from doing black armors for a while.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The orange and green would be my pick if you weren't using those tones of orange, or green.

I feel like marines mostly need bold, over the top colours or effects. (raptors being a notable exception). So brick orange and almost army green are just too pastel. They're also not quite there in terms of colour choice (imo). If the green was a blue you'd nail complementary, or if you introduced a third tone, like violet/purple for the eye lenses and some small details you'd nail secondary.

Just spitballing.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yeast posted:

The orange and green would be my pick if you weren't using those tones of orange, or green.

I feel like marines mostly need bold, over the top colours or effects. (raptors being a notable exception). So brick orange and almost army green are just too pastel. They're also not quite there in terms of colour choice (imo). If the green was a blue you'd nail complementary, or if you introduced a third tone, like violet/purple for the eye lenses and some small details you'd nail secondary.

Just spitballing.

Yeah, actually, making that like a bright orange against a slightly more muted green could be really cool?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Finished my lord on crackalack, which means I've finished the entire Start Collecting STDs box, which I definitely did not expect - and then some.

I've almost got a respectable Chaos force done. Almost. Thanks, global pandemic.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well I got some red on my angry plastic spaceman

suddenly I'm thinking about what order I really want to do things in; I used to do like all the base coats, then all the wash, then all the layer/drybrush work

now I'm looking around and wondering if I should interleave those things more based on kind of the "layer" of the model they are touching -- that one wash doesn't dull out the base coat of another layer in a way that I don't like and end up with the whole model looking kind of flat, which I sometimes felt was a problem in the past (though I probably didn't do enough proper post-wash layer work as well)

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, when I did my angry marine kill team I did all the model in red, then worked really carefully on the trim (word bearers).

I learned from that and what I have started doing on my rubric marines, is I've been painting all the trim areas first. That way I can be a little less precise, and any of the gold that spills over (say on the pauldron) will get covered when I painted them in. It is much easier for me to be more precise in the recessed areas.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Painted a dire pigeon to go with the living statues

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Winklebottom posted:

That is all very loving cool. Can you touch on how you did the tree trunk on the base?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

That is all very loving cool. Can you touch on how you did the tree trunk on the base?

Sure. The outer bark is GW Dryad Bark and the inner is GW Baneblade Brown. Washed all over with AP Strong Tone and then drybrushed Baneblade Brown on the outer parts. I gave it a very light drybrush of GW Screaming Skull to finish.

If you meant model-wise, it’s part of the molded base for The Farstriders Underworld warband.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Winklebottom posted:

UMMM WOW THIS IS AMAZING LOOKING :monocle:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I went back over the skin and it seemed to have knocked back the hard edges a little. Man highlighting is tough! Feelin pretty good about them though. Tails need another pass.

Is he name Squeaky McStabbers?

:3:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It 100% is now.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It 100% is now.

:peanut:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Winklebottom posted:

Sure. The outer bark is GW Dryad Bark and the inner is GW Baneblade Brown. Washed all over with AP Strong Tone and then drybrushed Baneblade Brown on the outer parts. I gave it a very light drybrush of GW Screaming Skull to finish.

If you meant model-wise, it’s part of the molded base for The Farstriders Underworld warband.

I love those colors, gonna have to put them on my list to buy and I'll have to keep that warband in mind to or at least some bitz. Thanks!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well all the base coat and washing is done; time for the details :ohdear:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Winklebottom posted:

Needs bird poo poo all over him

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
In continuing my descent into painting I've turned to the citadel painting app to help me understand how the paint types fit together. One thing I am a little confused on is how the battle ready/parade ready system works. Do you add the parade ready colors on top of the battle ready ones? Or do you just use the same base paint but follow two different 'tracks'?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Pakxos posted:

In continuing my descent into painting I've turned to the citadel painting app to help me understand how the paint types fit together. One thing I am a little confused on is how the battle ready/parade ready system works. Do you add the parade ready colors on top of the battle ready ones? Or do you just use the same base paint but follow two different 'tracks'?

you're right the second time.

"Battle ready" is if you want to do the least work possible, and are happy to just have paint on models.

"Parade ready" is more time consuming, but will yield much better results.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/21/introducing-battle-readygw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/

Yeast fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 7, 2020

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
"Battle ready" is also known as "tabletop standard" in most other circles.

Many people (somewhat rightly) side with the idea that painted models on the table are better than unpainted ones, regardless of the quality of the paint job. It used to be that people would do basic colors and "dip" them in floor stain to get to "battle ready" in a relatively quick time. Nowadays that's being taken over by Contrast. The point of both methods is to get something recognizably like a painted model and part of a cohesive whole so that others can identify what it is on the table, instead of having a confusing sea of grey plastic.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah they always kind of had the “battle ready” concept, they just didn’t call it out as specifically

They would just note that prime + base coat + shade (+ optional dry brush) was good enough for beginners or people painting a lot of models or whatever, but hey here’s some layering you can try out if you really want to make it pop

I feel like they’ve been steadily improving and investing in their education materials

Even the old citadel painting book I have, while it’s decent at providing paint charts and some examples, it really isn’t as straightforward as their newer (free) apps and online content

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Alright. Thanks all. Follow up is, since I want to be, even with my weak skills, pushing myself, is there a reason shades tend to only be used on the 'battle ready' track?
For example, the App has Gold Plate.
The two methods for Classic is:
Battle Ready is Retributor Armor > Shade with Reikland Fleshshade
Parade Ready is Retributor Armor > Liberator Gold > Stormhost Silver
From the guides I've seen, shading is always the step taken after base-coating, but that doesn't fit with how Parade Ready usually omits a shade.
Will the layering process naturally create the darkening people using Shades for? Or is there a piece to this art puzzle I missed?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Parade ready is normally in addition to the battle ready steps

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
The shading will dull the colors in addition to giving the recesses that nice contrast since it still sticks a little everywhere so “parade ready” is the work of reapplying paints outside the recessed areas to brighten things back up, adding edge highlighting explicitly and/or dry brushing with possible multiple layers of highlight,etc

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Pakxos posted:

Will the layering process naturally create the darkening people using Shades for? Or is there a piece to this art puzzle I missed?

Not really, you’re just pointing out a dumb flaw in their schema. That really is confusing if you haven’t painted before.

If you’d like, I’m sure a bunch of us in here could help you choose some colours and how to apply it if you’d like. What are you wanting to paint?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
In fact yeah looking at it the steps are even numbered correctly; parade starts as step number n + 1 from the battle ready section

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
oh wait it looks like you were just looking at colors instead of model examples; they don’t go into all the steps there

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

oh wait it looks like you were just looking at colors instead of model examples; they don’t go into all the steps there

Yes, this could be the heart of the problem - I've been looking at the models and then looking at the color breakdown.

Yeast posted:

Not really, you’re just pointing out a dumb flaw in their schema. That really is confusing if you haven’t painted before.

If you’d like, I’m sure a bunch of us in here could help you choose some colours and how to apply it if you’d like. What are you wanting to paint?

I am always happy to get help! I picked Salamanders as the scheme to work through the process with. I have terminators, intercessors and a Primaris LT on order. So plenty of standard models to practice on. I've just been basing the armor in Waaagh flesh and the weapons/details in leadbelcher. I did read the goonhammer guides, but thought the app would be easier. So it goes.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
If you guys haven't been watching the Warhammer TV twitch streams during the lockdown, you have been missing out on three professional GW Painters and one social media producer guy pumping out a ton of tips and tricks and also slowly going insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

Needs bird poo poo all over him

I did actually add a few discrete patches but maybe I should just go full ham with it. No dignity when pigeons are involved