Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I almost never use my left airpod so replacing the right one at $50 might actually not be a bad idea, since my left and my case are in great shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

endlessmonotony posted:

SE2020 shares dimensions with iPhone 8.

I see a lot of cases claim iPhone 8/7/SE 2020 compatibility-- but that doesn't seem to be true since the 8 and SE are a little bigger than the 7 (same dimensions as 6s).

I guess I'll see if there are any that claim iPhone 8 compatibility but not 7?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

effika posted:

I see a lot of cases claim iPhone 8/7/SE 2020 compatibility-- but that doesn't seem to be true since the 8 and SE are a little bigger than the 7 (same dimensions as 6s).

I guess I'll see if there are any that claim iPhone 8 compatibility but not 7?

6s and 7/8 definitely used different-sized cases.

e: specifically, the camera bump was different, and the 7/8 are very slightly taller, wider, and thicker

astral fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 5, 2020

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

astral posted:

Cool, I'll weed out the ones that talk about 6s then.

Thanks thread.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It uses the exact 8 shell, yeah... dimensions and buttons wise anyway.

Any visual cutouts might be badly off.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

What does this mean? I've been restoring my phone from old backups since like 2009 and my first iPhone and it's never been a problem. I thought this wipe/clean install mentality was from 2000's era Windows machines.

:same:

I've been using the same iCloud backup since my iPhone 5 through four other phones and my current 11 Pro with absolutely zero issues.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

astral posted:

e: specifically, the camera bump was different, and the 7/8 are very slightly taller, wider, and thicker

The 6S and 7 are the exactly same dimensions but the camera bump is different. You can fit a 6S into a 7 case but the camera may not look right and there are many cases designed with a camera cutout that will accommodate both camera modules

The 8 is a little bit thicker but in practice it can go into most cases including the Apple leather one from the 7. The 7 will fit into cases designed for the 8 too, but some like the Apple leather case are a little loose.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

AdmiralViscen posted:

I got them at launch and my batteries are total poo poo

Same, I replaced mine with with Gen 2 ones in February and gave the old ones to my 9 year old niece. Worth it because air pods are amazing oh and the new ones pair loving instantly, instead of in like 3 seconds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bum the Sad posted:

Same, I replaced mine with with Gen 2 ones in February and gave the old ones to my 9 year old niece. Worth it because air pods are amazing oh and the new ones pair loving instantly, instead of in like 3 seconds.

How are you doing this? When I swap my airpods pro to my macbook then later on want to use them with my iphone, I have to manually select them from the audio source sub-menu on the control center screen every time.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I'm toying with replacing my original SE. I like the new SE, but if I'm going bigger I figure I might as well go all out and get a second hand XS for the same price.

Why do so many second hand ones say "no Face ID?" Is it like when people would replace their home buttons and lose Touch ID on the older phones?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Horace posted:

I'm toying with replacing my original SE. I like the new SE, but if I'm going bigger I figure I might as well go all out and get a second hand XS for the same price.

Why do so many second hand ones say "no Face ID?" Is it like when people would replace their home buttons and lose Touch ID on the older phones?

Betting that they smashed the screen, replaced it with a cheap replacement and something got messed up with the Face ID sensor (static discharge blew out a part, they ripped a ribbon cable, etc).

As far as I know there's no mechanism for pairing a Face ID sensor array to the logic board like there is for Touch ID.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Horace posted:

Check if your carrier has any deals on the new SE, or a place like Beat Buy or Walmart if you’re in the US. They’re anywhere from like $100-300 off depending on carrier and where you buy from.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Horace posted:

I'd much rather go for a brand new shiny SE with a new battery and faster A13 CPU than a used XS. Sure, the XS might have a marginally better camera and the OLED screen, but a new SE will last longer in every way from the battery to stress on the internal, since most XS phones are coming up on 2 years old. Plus there's lots of deals out there, like Walmart having the new SE for $200 through Verizon and AT&T with no extra fees.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Protocol7 posted:

Betting that they smashed the screen, replaced it with a cheap replacement and something got messed up with the Face ID sensor (static discharge blew out a part, they ripped a ribbon cable, etc).

As far as I know there's no mechanism for pairing a Face ID sensor array to the logic board like there is for Touch ID.

I've spent some time researching this (just to satisfy my own curiosity, I wouldn't buy a phone with no Face ID) and it seems it's just people botching screen replacements.

sourdough posted:

Check if your carrier has any deals on the new SE, or a place like Beat Buy or Walmart if you’re in the US. They’re anywhere from like $100-300 off depending on carrier and where you buy from.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I'd much rather go for a brand new shiny SE with a new battery and faster A13 CPU than a used XS. Sure, the XS might have a marginally better camera and the OLED screen, but a new SE will last longer in every way from the battery to stress on the internal, since most XS phones are coming up on 2 years old. Plus there's lots of deals out there, like Walmart having the new SE for $200 through Verizon and AT&T with no extra fees.

I'm keeping an eye out for any deals in the UK. I'm on pay as you go at the moment, and it's so cheap I'm not keen on taking on a contract unless it really takes a chunk out of the phone price.

The SE being brand new is definitely a big draw, but for less than £100 more I can get a grade A refurb XS with a year's warranty, and my only real dislike about the new SE is the screen/body ratio. It's a tricky decision.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What do you mean by 'refurb'?

If it's straight from Apple then they actually do a good job of it, if it's from some random place then in my experience refurbishment means they wipe off the grosser smudges then chuck it in a box.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah, there's nothing wrong at all with going for a refurbished XS straight from Apple since they have a full factory refurb/replacement process that ends up as high quality as a brand new phone, but I'd never go for a cheap third-party refurb in 4 billion years. Just not worth the hassle without proof they installed a new battery and replaced any defective parts, just like Apple does. I don't particularly care what the grade is because it's meaningless without Apple factory refurbishment and their warranty, but you do you I guess. :shrug:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 5, 2020

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

xzzy posted:

How are you doing this? When I swap my airpods pro to my macbook then later on want to use them with my iphone, I have to manually select them from the audio source sub-menu on the control center screen every time.

Oh I mean when they go in my ears they pair right away to the phone. I don't have a Mac computer

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

dissss posted:

What do you mean by 'refurb'?

If it's straight from Apple then they actually do a good job of it, if it's from some random place then in my experience refurbishment means they wipe off the grosser smudges then chuck it in a box.

Oh, I know. But I bought my current SE as a refurb from Argos, and it was brand new in an opened box. They're one of the largest retailers in the UK so I bet their 'refurbs' are just returned new phones.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I bought my iPhone 10 second hand from music magpie UK on eBay and it’s been great. Personally I think buying a slightly older flagship and using it until it’s not supported is a really cost efficient way of buying phones.

I wouldn’t buy the SE just because it looks so out of date at this point, if you don’t care about that then it’s a great buy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

No one cares how your phone looks.:lol:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sri.Theo posted:

I wouldn’t buy the SE just because it looks so out of date at this point, if you don’t care about that then it’s a great buy.

Oh my god. This is satire, right? No one ever cares what your phone looks like in the slightest. :allears:

Also, uh, there's still way more people out there using the iPhone 7 and 8 models than any of the OLED phones. Only the XR comes close to or surpasses older stuff in usage statistics. I know that was categorically true in late 2019 when I saw a survey and I doubt it's changed all that much since then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ever since I set up my new phone from scratch, stuff like Youtube videos, tweets and Wikipedia articles open up in Safari instead of their respective apps like before, which I prefer. How do I force my phone to do that again?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

No one cares how your phone looks.:lol:

It’s absolutely fine for aesthetics to influence your non-essential electronics purchases. It’s not about what other people think.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

SeANMcBAY posted:

Ever since I set up my new phone from scratch, stuff like Youtube videos, tweets and Wikipedia articles open up in Safari instead of their respective apps like before, which I prefer. How do I force my phone to do that again?
Have you launched each of the respective apps yet? I think they might need to be opened up at least once in order to register what URLs they can pull focus from.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Have you launched each of the respective apps yet? I think they might need to be opened up at least once in order to register what URLs they can pull focus from.

Yes and that didn’t work.

I figured it out though. I restarted my phone then went to each site in Safari and tapped on the open in app at the top of each site and now everything is openly properly.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I used to be one of those "I don't need AppleCare, I'll just swap the screen out myself" people until I cracked the screen on my 6S and realized all the cheap "OEM" displays are inferior garbage that crack if you look at them the wrong way. I'm sure that's the same case for newer OLED displays too.

Next year I plan on just getting my iPhone through Apple's monthly payment program so my phone is unlocked and I can get free AppleCare+ with it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

you still have to pay for applecare

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Gay Retard posted:

I used to be one of those "I don't need AppleCare, I'll just swap the screen out myself" people until I cracked the screen on my 6S and realized all the cheap "OEM" displays are inferior garbage that crack if you look at them the wrong way. I'm sure that's the same case for newer OLED displays too.

Also, any iPhone 8 and later loses TrueTone if you swap the screen (Apple literally disables the option if it detects that it's not the original screen, much like Touch ID/Face ID pairing). And the 11 and later will give you a permanent notification - for a couple of weeks at the top of the notification list, after that in the Settings app - letting you know it can't validate the screen.

There's a way around it if you reflash the new screen with the serial from the old screen (assuming you still have the original), but it needs special equipment, and I don't know of any repair shops around here that have them. It's more of a bulk refurbisher tool to have.

As far as the OLEDs go, a lot of them have 3 grades available as replacements. LCD (crap), hard OLED (good image quality, tends to shatter the OLED while leaving the top glass intact), and soft OLED (same type Apple uses, fairly durable, but the image quality isn't quite as good).

And with any of them, even if you compare it to a phone with TrueTone turned off, the colors are just a little out of whack. They tend to be washed out on LCDs like the XR, and shifted a bit towards blue/purple on the OLEDs.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Gay Retard posted:

:same:

I shattered my original SE display and went with the cheapest service I could find to save a few bucks. The screen shattered into 5 million spiderwebbed pieces again after I dropped the phone lightly on carpet. Then I went to the Apple Store and they gave me a high quality screen for barely more cash that never had a single issue for many months until I replaced the thing with the XS. Never go for third-party display repair!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Insurance is always throwing money into a pit in the best case scenario.

It's when your scenario is not the best case that the value of insurance becomes apparent.

That said, IUP is the way to go. My monthly payment for an iPhone 11 with IUP went down $5 compared to my monthly payment for an iPhone 7 Plus with AppleCare+ through T-Mobile, so it was a pretty compelling deal for me. Plus, y'know, the option to get a new phone every year.

And yeah, as someone who has done plenty of device repair on my own (I had a very green iPhone 4 back in 2012, and it was also red at some point) I also wouldn't bother with lovely third party replacement parts anymore.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 6, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is the Apple Upgrade Program the same thing as buying a new phone with Apple Card and getting 24-months of no interest? Or are they considered separate programs?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the Apple Upgrade Program the same thing as buying a new phone with Apple Card and getting 24-months of no interest? Or are they considered separate programs?

It looks like it's entirely separate, and doesn't force AppleCare+ into the purchase. You also don't get the 12 month trade it in and upgrade and pretend the whole thing never existed either. I mean you can obviously still trade it in but for an undetermined sum which is likely less than you still owe on the phone.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 6, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Bum the Sad posted:

It looks like it's entirely separate, and doesn't force AppleCare+ into the purchase. You also don't get the 12 month trade it in and upgrade and pretend the whole thing never existed either. I mean you can obviously still trade it in but for an undetermined sum which is likely less than you still owe on the phone.

Gotcha. FWIW I just found this shockingly recent article that covers exactly what I was curious about :

https://www.imore.com/iphone-upgrade-program-vs-apple-card-monthly-installments

One thing I didn't know - using the AUP forces you to activate the phone on one of the big 4 carriers - there's no option to get it unlocked.

When I got my XS I figured I'd eschew my usual 2-year upgrade cycle and keep it for at least 3. But if the new phone has an under screen TouchID or a sexy new form factor that's more like the iPad Pros I might be tempted.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Gotcha. FWIW I just found this shockingly recent article that covers exactly what I was curious about :

https://www.imore.com/iphone-upgrade-program-vs-apple-card-monthly-installments

One thing I didn't know - using the AUP forces you to activate the phone on one of the big 4 carriers - there's no option to get it unlocked.

When I got my XS I figured I'd eschew my usual 2-year upgrade cycle and keep it for at least 3. But if the new phone has an under screen TouchID or a sexy new form factor that's more like the iPad Pros I might be tempted.

you have to activate the phone on a big four carrier at the time of purchase if you want the apple installment plan, but it's still unlocked and you can move from carrier to carrier

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

As someone coming from an OG SE, Iove this non clicky homebutton.

Why did Apple never add this to the iPad? Its great!

EDIT: also, stop being afraid of bigger screens. I adapted after a day and now I wonder why I ever resisted....though I'd probably trade my nu-SE in a heartbeat for an all-screen iPhone-X-esque phone in the size of the OG SE with an in-screen fingerprint sensor.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 7, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Snuffman posted:

EDIT: also, stop being afraid of bigger screens. I adapted after a day and now I wonder why I ever resisted....though I'd probably trade my nu-SE in a heartbeat for an all-screen iPhone-X-esque phone in the size of the OG SE with an in-screen fingerprint sensor.

The bigger screens remain inconvenient and difficult to hold. Apple has done nothing to improve the grip on their phones so I find even the 8 too big, and the Plus models to be just a worthless joke.

Give more thickness and texture.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Give more thickness and texture.

can i interest you in the red hydrogen one

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Snuffman posted:

As someone coming from an OG SE, Iove this non clicky homebutton.

Why did Apple never add this to the iPad? Its great!

Two reasons I can think of.

The non-clicky buttons go in through the front of the screen, and are held in place with a plate that’s screwed into the plastic frame on the back of the glass.

No plastic frame on the iPad, those home buttons sit behind the screen and click against a bracket that’s glued to the back of the glass. So there’s not really a way to stabilize it without changing the whole screen design.

And #2 is that there’s no vibrate motor/Taptic Engine in the iPad. It would probably need to be a fairly large one to provide enough power that you’d feel it on a bigger device like that, and there’s not a lot of free space inside modern iPads.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Weedle posted:

can i interest you in the red hydrogen one

Given it's by Red, no.

But dang that back would make the iPhones so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just go to a skate shop and get a piece of deck grip. They might even give you an offcut for free.