Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I have a good time vs aggro and bannerman playing bilgewater allegiance +pnz splash with six one drops. My opponents may be bad (people seem to be climbing very fast with burn) so I wouldn't recommend it as an actual counter deck but it doesnt feel oppressive to me.

A deck that is understood to be an actual counter to both of those is the corina + vi deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

No Wave posted:

I have a good time vs aggro and bannerman playing bilgewater allegiance +pnz splash with six one drops. My opponents may be bad (people seem to be climbing very fast with burn) so I wouldn't recommend it as an actual counter deck but it doesnt feel oppressive to me.

A deck that is understood to be an actual counter to both of those is the corina + vi deck.

Vi control is quite good against aggro for sure, it feels unwinnable on the aggro side.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The best part of the Pilfered Goods mechanic is that there is nothing more satisfying than beating someone senseless with their own cards.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

CitizenKeen posted:

The best part of the Pilfered Goods mechanic is that there is nothing more satisfying than beating someone senseless with their own cards.

Agreed.

*Flashback to the time when Mind Control cost was 8 mana in Hearthstone*

Good times.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

No Wave posted:

Unless they play the "my unit can't take damage or die" card and then you are hosed, it's stupid

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Always think about how to protect your units. "If I play this unit, do I have the mana and cards to protect it from what they can do?" is the most important question. To give you an easy/common example:

Playing a 1 mana unit on turn one means you can't play your 3 mana spell to protect Zed on turn three, so maybe you shouldn't play your 1 mana unit until after you play your Zed, and are able to defend him. Even though that means skipping two attack rounds, your Zed is too important to put down without protection so you need to be thinking three turns ahead. However if you have a 1 mana spell that can protect Zed (elixer of iron for ex) that means you can use 2 mana on units before you play Zed since you'll have the mana to protect him from removal cards.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah that was mind-blowing, that and not always playing/attacking with a unit even if you can, due to ruination and judgement and etc. I was definitely a "put em all down and smoosh em together to make em fight" player til I did some reading and watching.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Coming from Hearthstone and not having much (read: any) experience with MtG has made the adjustment a little tricky. I'm not used to the interweaving turns and being able to respond to cards! This is hard!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I went from MTG to Hearthstone to this and it's really nice to have more of the play and counterplay of MTG with a business model that does not involve me spending hundreds of dollars every year. Being able to respond to people's responses is so nice.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
That aspect is cool to watch as it creates some fun mind games. Like you need to frostbite their garen but you can't do it until you think you've baited out the single combat or justice, so you have to decide would you rather take a bad block and hope they cast something passing action back to you or gamble they don't have it and use the debuff early. Countering the things even if you're not specifically using deny.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

threelemmings posted:

That aspect is cool to watch as it creates some fun mind games. Like you need to frostbite their garen but you can't do it until you think you've baited out the single combat or justice, so you have to decide would you rather take a bad block and hope they cast something passing action back to you or gamble they don't have it and use the debuff early. Countering the things even if you're not specifically using deny.

These interactions are the meat of this game imo. That and silly complicated combat spell stack where each person tries to get initiative on spell order to use something that cancels the 4 previous spells cast.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The turns where there's like 8 spells on the stack fighting over how best to kill a 1/1 spider are what make this game memorable.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

threelemmings posted:

Megasabin posted:

These interactions are the meat of this game imo. That and silly complicated combat spell stack where each person tries to get initiative on spell order to use something that cancels the 4 previous spells cast.

mistaya posted:

The turns where there's like 8 spells on the stack fighting over how best to kill a 1/1 spider are what make this game memorable.

This thread makes me realize how much of mtg I've taken for granted and just assumed was in other ccgs not names hearthstone.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The back and forth of this game is honestly BETTER than MTG. And I say this as a deeply invested player who even runs a MTG podcast. The way this game actually plays out is typically more interesting and involves way more decisions. There are limitations compared to MTG of course, but the back and forth of the turns is incredible.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Speaking of memorable, this was a gas.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ShaneB posted:

The back and forth of this game is honestly BETTER than MTG. And I say this as a deeply invested player who even runs a MTG podcast. The way this game actually plays out is typically more interesting and involves way more decisions. There are limitations compared to MTG of course, but the back and forth of the turns is incredible.

I mean maybe in the aspect that all the "colors" have board interactions but you can definitely build decks that have more interaction than any in LoR... at least pre t3feri.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ShaneB posted:

The back and forth with the alternating attacks reminds me a lot of the old Vs system tcg. It's super dynamic.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
To be fair, I don't want Magic's interaction. Like, don't get me wrong, Magic's a fun game on the table. I'm always down to play? But digitally, I find Magic to be such a slog. I want enough interaction that I can poo poo on my opponent's plans, but not so much interaction that I have to tell the computer I don't want to do anything five times in a row.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Sedisp posted:

This thread makes me realize how much of mtg I've taken for granted and just assumed was in other ccgs not names hearthstone.

That complexity is mtgs strength and weakness, I think runeterras definitely done the best job at making it extremely obvious how things are going to play out. My big game was netrunner and I preferred playing Corp side so I enjoy the mindgaming. In netrunner it isn't as much "does he have this card" type outplays but more "would he protect the trap, or the objective. Is this card in the open bait that'll kill me?"

Though there's not really a good analogy to that in most ccgs, since they're all dudes vs dudes, there's no servers to hide your cards like demented minesweeper.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sedisp posted:

I mean maybe in the aspect that all the "colors" have board interactions but you can definitely build decks that have more interaction than any in LoR... at least pre t3feri.

I'm speaking more to the gameplay that simply cannot exist in magic, like:
I am an aggro deck, and have 2 more 1 drops in hand that could get damage in. However, when the round begins and the attack token is in my hand, I have to make a decision: do I play one out, or swing in? Swinging means they couldn't play a new blocker, but I lose extra potential damage.

In magic there are plenty of risk/reward decisions like this but not in the same cadence in the least. I make MANY more decisions in every game of Runeterra than I do in Magic.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ShaneB posted:

Yeah it’s somehow simpler than MTG but has more decisions, it owns

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

To be fair, I don't want Magic's interaction. Like, don't get me wrong, Magic's a fun game on the table. I'm always down to play? But digitally, I find Magic to be such a slog. I want enough interaction that I can poo poo on my opponent's plans, but not so much interaction that I have to tell the computer I don't want to do anything five times in a row.

I will 100% agree that LoR is a better digital game than MtG Arena is and unfortunately for MTG I don't think it's possible to really eclipse LoR in that regard.

threelemmings posted:

That complexity is mtgs strength and weakness, I think runeterras definitely done the best job at making it extremely obvious how things are going to play out. My big game was netrunner and I preferred playing Corp side so I enjoy the mindgaming. In netrunner it isn't as much "does he have this card" type outplays but more "would he protect the trap, or the objective. Is this card in the open bait that'll kill me?"

Though there's not really a good analogy to that in most ccgs, since they're all dudes vs dudes, there's no servers to hide your cards like demented minesweeper.

It's a pretty good balance I agree I just always assumed most ccgs had something similar to the stack in mtg but apparently LoR is the only one that has bothered to keep the best part of mtg which is so baffling.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Sedisp posted:

I will 100% agree that LoR is a better digital game than MtG Arena is and unfortunately for MTG I don't think it's possible to really eclipse LoR in that regard.

It's a pretty good balance I agree I just always assumed most ccgs had something similar to the stack in mtg but apparently LoR is the only one that has bothered to keep the best part of mtg which is so baffling.

As a Magic Dude the weird/frustrating part is how spells resolve in 5th edition-esque batches rather than individually. As an example, if I have the spell that gives a damaged unit +3/+3 in hand, and they target my undamaged 6/6 with two Get Excited, I can’t save my guy

Resolving them individually would make spell batches take way longer to resolve though so I understand why it is the way it is

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sedisp posted:

Eternal is probably your best bet if you want not-quite-magic. You've got similar deckbuilding where you can play any combination of cards from 5 factions but need to include a manabase as well (a little less punishing though because your "colored mana" doesn't tap -- so if you have 4 total mana cards, but only UU, you could play 2 cards that cost UU in a turn but not a card that cost UUUU) and you have a similar stack system to Magic but with a few less interaction windows (so you can respond to a sorcery card, but not a creature card for example). I had a lot of fun with it for a few years but stayed away for a while and there are just too many cards to keep up with now.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

kingcobweb posted:

As a Magic Dude the weird/frustrating part is how spells resolve in 5th edition-esque batches rather than individually. As an example, if I have the spell that gives a damaged unit +3/+3 in hand, and they target my undamaged 6/6 with two Get Excited, I can’t save my guy

Resolving them individually would make spell batches take way longer to resolve though so I understand why it is the way it is

Slow spells have to resolve individually, where Fasts can be chained BUT if you chain your Fasts the opponent can nope your whole stack if they have a good card for it. Like if I blow two Get Excited you can Glimpse it and deny BOTH of my dedicated cards. Deciding if you want to chain your Fast speed spells is something that's really important for Ezreal decks in particular and it can be a tricky thing so I think it's intended behavior with cost/rewards for either decision.

e: The mind games in this game are real.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the "stack" in LoR resolves the same way as it does in MTG right? I guess in this specific incident you would have a chance to respond in MtG after the spell resolved to buff the damaged unit since the initiative system doesn't exist.

Spell speeds react differently but for the most part its the same I think.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 7, 2020

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sedisp posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the "stack" in LoR resolves the same way as it does in MTG right? I guess in this specific incident you would have a chance to respond in MtG after the spell resolved to buff the damaged unit since the initiative system doesn't exist.

Yeah thats the key difference, the stack is layered the same but you only gain priority every time there is the possibility of a stack, and there has been a change of state since you last had control i.e.
someone plays a slow/fast spell (adding to the stack)
Combat has begun.

If both sides pass in turn the stack resolves as is, if someone adds, then priority passes to the opponent who can add more spells (resetting the state "Timer) or can pass and let things resolve

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I like the big unstoppably resolving stack. It creates big dramatic moments in a game that's mostly designed around incremental advantage.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Sedisp posted:

There's a big difference between things resolving one-by-one, and resolving as a batch, especially in combat. For example, the fast spell that stuns a guy and makes a 3/2 would be totally different: you can't wait for them to attack, then use it, and block with the guy it makes.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Yeah thats the key difference, the stack is layered the same but you only gain priority every time there is the possibility of a stack, and there has been a change of state since you last had control i.e.
someone plays a slow/fast spell (adding to the stack)
Combat has begun.

If both sides pass in turn the stack resolves as is, if someone adds, then priority passes to the opponent who can add more spells (resetting the state "Timer) or can pass and let things resolve

SInce Burst spells don't go on the stack if an opponent say single combats you then passes to you can you play a burst spell then pass disallowing them to play a burst spell in response?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Sedisp posted:

SInce Burst spells don't go on the stack if an opponent say single combats you then passes to you can you play a burst spell then pass disallowing them to play a burst spell in response?

Everyone has the option of responding to their own fast and slow spells before their opponent

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

kingcobweb posted:

Everyone has the option of responding to their own fast and slow spells before their opponent

Right but Sedisp is asking if they get a chance to play another burst spell after they pass to you and you play a burst spell and pass, which is a no. Bursts don't create a new priority window.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

goferchan posted:

Right but Sedisp is asking if they get a chance to play another burst spell after they pass to you and you play a burst spell and pass, which is a no. Bursts don't create a new priority window.

They do in combat- combat has different rules for spell priority for some reason

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

kingcobweb posted:

They do in combat- combat has different rules for spell priority for some reason
They do out of combat too.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I lied making fiora invincible and winning comes up alot apparently.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah sorry I forgot burst spells in my explanation, doing anything except passing created a new priority window even if there's nothing to respond to. Hence burst pass letting your opponent play a slow

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What's a good site for figuring some starter+ decks going forward? I've been making GBS threads around with Demacia/Frost without spending wilds/currency but Silver II is proving to be a bit of a hurdle.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The differences are taking some getting used to (the fact that you can’t play fast spells that copy themselves in combat but you can play bursts that copy themselves lost me a game because I didn’t understand) but overall I am glad for the slightly less frequent priority stacking because it leads to faster games. And the mind games about when in your turn you attack and when to save up mana are totally different here and pretty cool.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

PJOmega posted:

What's a good site for figuring some starter+ decks going forward? I've been making GBS threads around with Demacia/Frost without spending wilds/currency but Silver II is proving to be a bit of a hurdle.

Swim is both underrated as a good person to watch for understanding the game at a deep level (he explains what goes into his lines constantly) and generally making good content for newbies as well.

https://youtu.be/2QknT5vfp5s

Good video for very lean collections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

ShaneB posted:

Swim is both underrated as a good person to watch for understanding the game at a deep level (he explains what goes into his lines constantly) and generally making good content for newbies as well.

https://youtu.be/2QknT5vfp5s

Good video for very lean collections.

Added to the OP.