Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

If I was to describe the realm reborn storyline I would probably say "and then they piss around doing nothing useful" way more often than I really should have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zoig posted:

If I was to describe the realm reborn storyline I would probably say "and then they piss around doing nothing useful" way more often than I really should have to.

They're doing a revamp of the ARR main quest in the next patch (probably sometime in July), and they've already said that, even being conservative because there's a lot of quests that introduce things and people you don't know are important yet, they're still cutting somewhere around 18% if the quests.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I hated the characters in FF14 so loving much. Hated. Like, I was rooting for the fascists with magic robots to win because holy gently caress the characters were unlikable and Minfillia's outfit enraged me.

WHAT ARE THOSE BUCKLES EVEN FOR. WHAT ARE THEY FOR. WHY.

It has fantastic music though. Alexander's raid has some of the best music I've ever heard in a video game, and Omega's boss fight theme was badass.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It's surprising that you got as far as Omega given that distaste.

I think the main problem with Minfilia's outfit isn't that it's weird nonsense, since it's basically your usual Final Fantasy fare (personally I like it), but that she's the only one dressed like that. Everyone else was clad in the sort of drab garb that you get from a lot of low fantasy stuff (your Witchers, Games of Thrones, big parts of Dragon Age) because that was generally the art direction that the original 1.0 release went with. The new director for A Realm Reborn onwards instead wanted things to be a lot more vibrant and visually interesting, befitting of Final Fantasy, but he had a super shoestring budget, so the vast majority of the result had the same old assets, it's only the new models that have a more 'Final Fantasy' art direction, which means they end up clashing. That includes Minfilia, the elf twins, and the Imperial generals.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I like the low fantasy art style they gave the game, it felt a lot more like Tactics. I was a raiding Paladin with glamour to make my armor look like standard plate armor lol

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
They did eventually nail down some more 'low' styles that aren't just plain, and getting them to mesh with more fantastic aesthetics. Stormblood's got a lot of options for that, fitting the expansion's general setting of 'resistance in occupied countries' (and, of course, is helped along by designs from the Ivalice games).

And on a different take, Shadowbringers has some very nice 'tribes in the wilds' gear. Which I find is a really underserved aesthetic in games like this; endgame stuff usually looks very fantastical, high-tech, clean, a good wild-living look often falls through the cracks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish more video games had armor refashioning. Nioh (and 2) spoiled me rotten because you can make any piece of armor or weapon you own look like literally anything that's been in your inventory at some point, whether you still have it or not. Not a heavy armor player but still like the look? Game don't care, refashion it! Mixing and matching for stats or build purposes and don't want to look like a clown? Refashioning!

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

CJacobs posted:

I wish more video games had armor refashioning. Nioh (and 2) spoiled me rotten because you can make any piece of armor or weapon you own look like literally anything that's been in your inventory at some point, whether you still have it or not. Not a heavy armor player but still like the look? Game don't care, refashion it! Mixing and matching for stats or build purposes and don't want to look like a clown? Refashioning!

Seriously. This was a common feature 10 years ago - if you have armor that gives stats/perks AND they look different, don't force me to look good OR have the stats that i want. I will always choose cool looking over stats and I shouldn't have to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bloodborne once again emerges victorious in the fashion souls arms race because everything you can wear is functional equipment and looks stylin.

The lack of refashioning is actually part of the reason I ditched Monster Hunter World. I realize that the gear loop is what that series is entirely about, but I beat the main story, why not let me appear however I want when I hang out with friends in the post-game. Hell, they could even make it cost something to refashion an item and extend the gameplay by making me grind elder dragons for Wyvern Rainbow Tears or whatever. You're gonna let me play as Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series but not change the look of my pants???

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:36 on May 6, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I found the city in Hollow Knight and finally got to upgrade the Nail. I like the structure where there are a pair of skyscrapers on either end of the city with unbreakable glass to give an idea of what you are descending into. The art is surprisingly varied given the game's limited colour pallet.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

This is one of my favorite things about Assassin's Creed Odyssey (along with most of its other things).

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
My only complaint about XIV's glamoring system is that some stuff is class or job locked. God drat I want to wear the original Smithy AF gear on my machinist :argh:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

CJacobs posted:

The lack of refashioning is actually part of the reason I ditched Monster Hunter World. I realize that the gear loop is what that series is entirely about, but I beat the main story, why not let me appear however I want when I hang out with friends in the post-game. Hell, they could even make it cost something to refashion an item and extend the gameplay by making me grind elder dragons for Wyvern Rainbow Tears or whatever. You're gonna let me play as Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series but not change the look of my pants???

They've gradually trickled out the options to craft cosmetic versions of most of the gear in the game, though I don't think 100% of the gear can be layered yet. Or if you're on PC, you can use a mod that lets you freely refashion armor to look however you like (and it even shows your changes to other players).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got to a part in Hollow Knight where I can fully explore about half the world as I've got the City of Tears connected to the rest of the world via the elevator and subway. I haven't even had to fight the bosses or minibosses I've come across, just noting their existences for later while seeing what I can find elsewhere. I've found the Sanctuary of Souls, the Howling Cliffs, Queen's Station and a bunch of other areas that I've barely touched. I always like when games open up like that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Triarii posted:

They've gradually trickled out the options to craft cosmetic versions of most of the gear in the game, though I don't think 100% of the gear can be layered yet. Or if you're on PC, you can use a mod that lets you freely refashion armor to look however you like (and it even shows your changes to other players).

Is there a mod that'll let me put a gigantic dick on my character and will other players get to see it?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

this is probably a weird opinion but I don't like layered/cosmetic armour purely because I like the challenge of putting together an interesting look that still manages to make for decent armour. Messing around with colours and so on to make ill-fitting parts "blend in". I find I end up with a genuinely unique off-kilter look compared to just "I made my outfit look like the coolest looking gear" unthinkingly.

That is probably just me tbh

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Lechtansi posted:

Seriously. This was a common feature 10 years ago - if you have armor that gives stats/perks AND they look different, don't force me to look good OR have the stats that i want. I will always choose cool looking over stats and I shouldn't have to.

Hell, City of Heroes had cosmetics completely divorced from gear in 2004.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It’s super common in MMOs but is only just starting to make headway in single-player games I think.

Usually I’ll just rock whatever looks coolest regardless of stats unless I’m really getting my rear end kicked but it’s nice to not have to choose, hopefully it gets more common in single-player

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I feel like a broken record bringing up Spider-Man a lot but it is relevant to this because one thing I liked was that the powers you get when you earn a new costume are not locked to that costume. So however you decide to look for gameplay and cutscenes is purely a cosmetic choice and doesn't affect your build (I use that term loosely since it's not a really a complex or robust build system).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just beat The Dung Defender in Hollow Knight. That was an amazingly silly character, and a surprisingly easy fight too. I also like the badge that you get for beating him, that makes you "Emit a heroic stench!" when equipped. I may have figured out where I went wrong with the Mantis bosses too, I may need to use the walls of the cage to get breathing room. Haven't tried that one again yet though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh I was wondering why/how you had ended up over there. Earmark my previous comments until after your Mantis escapades are done.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've been exploring anywhere the air-dash and wall jump will let me for the most part, there's only that one area northwest of Queen's Station that I haven't seen yet. Partially to put off the Mantis fight until I was stronger but I'm better at the game now and have a huge amount of the map uncovered.

Here's the map and my equippable stuff to give an idea of where I've been

Edit: @Sandwich I already have, hence the area being on the map. :P

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:41 on May 6, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been exploring anywhere the air-dash and wall jump will let me for the most part, there's only that one area northwest of Queen's Station that I haven't seen yet. Partially to put off the Mantis fight until I was stronger but I'm better at the game now and have a huge amount of the map uncovered.

Make sure you go back through the area you started in! There is stuff there and beyond.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Nothing makes me feel like a badass more than in Sekiro where you perfectly deflect an entire boss combo capping it off by jumping over a sweep, jumping again off of their head, and finishing it all with an aerial death blow.

My friends also got me to play the new Modern Warfare BR game and while I think the time to kill is a bit low it’s balanced out by some nice respawn mechanics. For a good chunk of the game for your first death you’re put into a gulag where you have to fight someone else 1v1. If you win you get dropped back into the game and can keep playing. If you lose, or die a second time, your team can buy you back in at a buy station.

I love it because in PUBG the worst feeling was losing a friend in the early game and then either forcing them to watch you play for another 30 minutes or you all quit and try again.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I have beaten the Mantis Lords! Of course, all they guarded was the Lair of one of the three major plot bosses, but i'm glad they are down now. Before moving onto doing the Deepnest, which is cool, I'll explore elsewhere for now.

I love that the Mantis fight is so carefully timed, it syncs to the background music so well that when you get the rhythm of the fight down it's more of a dance and that's really fun.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:15 on May 6, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beat The Dung Defender in Hollow Knight. That was an amazingly silly character, and a surprisingly easy fight too. I also like the badge that you get for beating him, that makes you "Emit a heroic stench!" when equipped. I may have figured out where I went wrong with the Mantis bosses too, I may need to use the walls of the cage to get breathing room. Haven't tried that one again yet though.

Do be sure to revisit that boss’ arena at some point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s super common in MMOs but is only just starting to make headway in single-player games I think.

Usually I’ll just rock whatever looks coolest regardless of stats unless I’m really getting my rear end kicked but it’s nice to not have to choose, hopefully it gets more common in single-player

The lesson a lot of AAA games, like Destiny 2, took from this was "people really want to look cool so that means we can charge them out the rear end for it!" rather than "People have been asking us for a transmog system for literal years, maybe we should work on that".

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It's a really little thing but when you load up Just Cause 4 it basically loads your most recent savegame into the bargain, meaning that when you click the Continue Game button on the main menu (which shows a view of the island you're on as its background) the menu disappears, the camera instantly pans down revealing your character, and bam: you're instantly in control. It's like someone amongst the designers finally realised that when you open the game .exe for this kind of open world sandbox you're going to continue on from your last session 99 times out of 100, so why not just make that part of every launch?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

The lesson a lot of AAA games, like Destiny 2, took from this was "people really want to look cool so that means we can charge them out the rear end for it!" rather than "People have been asking us for a transmog system for literal years, maybe we should work on that".
But it's cosmetic only so that makes it okay.
:goonsay:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Breetai posted:

It's a really little thing but when you load up Just Cause 4 it basically loads your most recent savegame into the bargain, meaning that when you click the Continue Game button on the main menu (which shows a view of the island you're on as its background) the menu disappears, the camera instantly pans down revealing your character, and bam: you're instantly in control. It's like someone amongst the designers finally realised that when you open the game .exe for this kind of open world sandbox you're going to continue on from your last session 99 times out of 100, so why not just make that part of every launch?
They did it in Just Cause 3 too, the main menu screen shows Rico leaning against a car and when you continue the menu just disappears and there you are and you've already got a car to boot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

orcane posted:

But it's cosmetic only so that makes it okay.
:goonsay:

I mean, if you gave me a choice between a game where the micro transactions effect the gameplay heavily, and one where they don’t but I have to pay to transmog stuff, I will totally choose the latter every time.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In Assassin's Creed Origins Bayek has a very subtly different walking animation when in a wheatfield. He gently puts his right hand out to touch it, which is a Gladiator reference.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My Lovely Horse posted:

They did it in Just Cause 3 too, the main menu screen shows Rico leaning against a car and when you continue the menu just disappears and there you are and you've already got a car to boot.

...or do you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwSh3klMSPc&t=35s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just defeated Soul Master in Hollow Knight. I like how the fight seems like it's over after you defeat it and it looks like it's blowing up, but it's actually just building up energy to smash through the floor. Also shows how much stronger than you the boss is - you can only smash cracked floors, Soul Master took out an intact skylight. I also like how sometimes an NPC will show up, like the bugs that appear in the first Hot spring, and the NPC stories in general like the girl you rescue who becomes obsessed with you, spinning a fairytale romance out of what was just a rescue.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I started Pokemon Shield a week ago and man I really appreciate the QoL changes they've made. I haven't played since X/Y so maybe this was already a thing, but being able to see the Pokemon on the field is fantastic, and there are a much wider variety available right out of the gate. Getting exp share immediately and extra exp candies from Max Raids means I can keep a variety of Pokemon leveled and experiment with new parties constantly.

Doing this in previous games would have required a ton of repetitive encounters, and I'm glad I no longer have to wade through 10,000 Zubats to actually engage with the game's systems.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
The Sinking City is a surprisingly good game despite some glaring flaws.

A fun little thing I noticed quite late is that all named characters have a unique line of dialogue if you point a gun at them and try to pull the trigger. You can’t actually shoot them, but they’ll usually chastise you.

Really hope it will get a more focused and less combat-heavy sequel.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Playing through FFVIII for the first time in years. I was never under the impression the card game had any AI other than "put card in good spot" but there is at least one instance of a player acting differently. There's this guy, Martine, who runs the rival military academy to yours and is a jackass but not really a villain. Once the villains co-opt his school, you can find him hiding out in a hippie commune and challenge him to a game, and he'll happily proclaim that he's going to kick your rear end since he confiscated the cards from all of his students. He then proceeds to take 1-2 minute turns slowly choosing a card (the AI usually does this in seconds) and making seemingly totally random, suboptimal plays. I just thought it was a charming touch that was completely unnecessary, and as far as I can tell he is the only NPC that does this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cross-post from the Streets of Rage 4 thread. It's a thing in almost every beat-em-up that you regain health by picking up food on the ground but SoR4 lets you pick what they look like. It's just a purely fun and cosmetic choice that doesn't affect anything. Default is an apple for Small and a roasted turkey for Big. Below is what I use.

Lobok posted:

Maybe the game's greatest feature.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Finally you clean up the streets as a vegan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yes, those food options I picked aren't actually for my character to eat. I roleplay as a vegan so pepperoni pizza and a big ol' burger are refilling my "health" by making me so angry. Rage, actually.