Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I dunno, I think the reevaluation with Halloween III has been mostly correct, in that you don't have to see it as just a weird artifact of the past to riff on MST3k style. There is plenty to like, and even love about Halloween III without having to get into that bullshit where you're doing it "ironically", or whatever. Which is how the movie was perceived until about ten years ago.

Of course that doesn't mean it's a masterpiece or on the same level as the original Halloween, and I don't think I've really seen anyone trying to claim it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I've definitely seen people call it better than the original.

And there's always gonna be some subjective tastes like that. Not everyone likes Halloween. And there's always gonna be some people rebelling against the standard, whether that's "ironic" or whatever.

But I definitely think III gets talked up in a way that kind of inflates what it is. A weird little movie that shouldn't be dismissed purely because its the odd duck of the franchise not about Michael Myers. Its got some interesting stuff, and if you like things that kind of make your skin crawl you might see some of its "flaws" as strengths. But I wouldn't really call it a good film or anything.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Splint Chesthair posted:

I can’t believe I’ve lived long enough to see the reappraisal of Halloween III be reappraised.

Just wait for that to happen to the Star Wars Prequels, it's gonna get ugly

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

Just wait for that to happen to the Star Wars Prequels, it's gonna get ugly

Someone hasn't been in the CineD Star Wars threads lately.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

Someone hasn't been in the CineD Star Wars threads lately.

Can't imagine why

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not even a Star Wars person and even I know the era of heated debate on the prequels has long ago arrived.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Even listening to Newcomers, most people say they love the OT best, but episodes 2 and 3 are Fine.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Good Lord Fran, what are you doing. You know better than this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Good Lord Fran, what are you doing. You know better than this.

We all make mistakes.

I thought about editing some more on-topic thoughts, but I'd just be repeating myself. Tremors is already a 90 minute thesis on why Graboids are really awesome monsters, it's just doomed against Lecterverse.

I will go against the grain and say I'm siding with Halloween over TCM because the competition is about Franchises. Like, I can say that TCM is arguably better than Halloween, but I'm gonna watch Halloween over TCM any day, despite both being 5/5s for me. And TCM 2 is a better sequel than any of the Halloween sequels, and a better movie than any of the Halloween sequels.

However.

I like and annually rewatch Halloween 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 usually, plus I like Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 especially for Brad Dourif and Danielle Harris. And Halloween 2018 was great. And I am excited to see the next two Halloweens in theaters.

Meanwhile, I only like TCM 1 & 2. I abhor 4: The Next Generation. The remake has some good moments in it, for sure. And I don't care about the sequels.

So, crunching the numbers

Halloween: 5/11 with 2 forthcoming I support. 45% success rate. That's not even including Part 5, H20 and Resurrection which I somehow still watch annually.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: 2 out of 8 films I like. That's a 25% success rate.

I don't think Halloween's Part 5 or 6 are bad enough to count them negatively against the franchise as whole. But I do think TCM4 is bad enough to count negatively against the series, even though I didn't.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Even listening to Newcomers, most people say they love the OT best, but episodes 2 and 3 are Fine.

The way you capitalized Newcomers I assume you're posting from inside the Alien Nation universe

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

The way you capitalized Newcomers I assume you're posting from inside the Alien Nation universe

No, it's a podcast with Lauren Lapkus and Nicole Byer where they watch all the Star Wars flicks for the first time in release order.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I have no idea why anyone would waste time watching or thinking about Star Wars, when they could be watching Halloween 4 instead, which coincidentally I just saw! I thought this was supposed to be one of the bad Halloweens, but I thought it was pretty good. It's a bit of a rehash of the first film, and isn't as impressive obviously, but I thought they did a great job of maintaining the creepy tone throughout. Plus I actually appreciated the twist ending, but then again I'm a bit of a sucker for female killers.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

gently caress, I know a sci fi bracket was floated as a potential follow up to this but I just realized how much Star Wars bickering that will entail and the idea just exhausted me right then and there.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Newcomers drink spoiled milk and eat raw raccoon meat so it tracks that they’d like the prequels.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I have no idea why anyone would waste time watching or thinking about Star Wars, when they could be watching Halloween 4 instead, which coincidentally I just saw! I thought this was supposed to be one of the bad Halloweens, but I thought it was pretty good. It's a bit of a rehash of the first film, and isn't as impressive obviously, but I thought they did a great job of maintaining the creepy tone throughout. Plus I actually appreciated the twist ending, but then again I'm a bit of a sucker for female killers.

Halloween 4 is usually considered to be the best of the "bad" sequels. I expect you won't like Halloween 5 nearly as much as 4, and most people hate 6.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Halloween 4 is usually considered to be the best of the "bad" sequels. I expect you won't like Halloween 5 nearly as much as 4, and most people hate 6.

Watching 5 now. I was about to pre-emptively give it 5/5 until I realised that Tina isn't played by Toni Basil

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm the person that enjoys Halloween 3 more than Halloween 1 these days. Not sure I'd say it's the better made movie.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It's obviously not better craft-wise, but it's full of ideas and that counts for a hell of a lot. The prequel to Halloween 3 is a more interesting story than anything you could possibly do with Michael at this point and it's criminal that it's just been left on the table like that.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Halloween 3 could have been a Doctor Who episode. You have clockwork cybermen stealing stonehenge to turn children into creepy crawlies, all that's missing is a weirdo in a scarf.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Halloween 3 could have been a Doctor Who episode. You have clockwork cybermen stealing stonehenge to turn children into creepy crawlies, all that's missing is a weirdo in a scarf.

I'm not sure if this is a compliment or not. The movie is bonkers in a great way.

Dr. Dan > Dr. Loomis

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm not sure if this is a compliment or not. The movie is bonkers in a great way.

Dr. Dan > Dr. Loomis

Just an observation. I hate Dr. Who but I actually liked Halloween 3, except for the part where the recently bereaved daughter of a murdered man inexplicably becomes horny for a dumpy middle aged guy. You can argue that he's a father figure, but it just screams wish fulfillment to me.

Toni Basil > Tina > Dr. Loomis > Dr. Dan > Dr. Who

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
In the 80s Tom Adkins represented peak masculinity. It was a very strange decade.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

TrixRabbi posted:

gently caress, I know a sci fi bracket was floated as a potential follow up to this but I just realized how much Star Wars bickering that will entail and the idea just exhausted me right then and there.

We can all just agree to exclude Star Trek and Star Wars and the obvious champ, Alien.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Just an observation. I hate Dr. Who but I actually liked Halloween 3, except for the part where the recently bereaved daughter of a murdered man inexplicably becomes horny for a dumpy middle aged guy. You can argue that he's a father figure, but it just screams wish fulfillment to me.

Toni Basil > Tina > Dr. Loomis > Dr. Dan > Dr. Who

I find their relationship gross as well, but I don't really find Dr. Dan particularly heroic. A sleazy drunk with a sense of curiosity.

There's also the question of when exactly Ellie becomes a robot, a question not even the director knows how to answer lol.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Shrecknet posted:

Since I now can't get the TV series theme song out of my head, I'm posting this so the rest of you have it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKNc1nORBz0

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Halloween 3 is the best Halloween. But I was never huge on the original, primarily owed to PJ Soles' and Nancy Kyes' stilted rear end delivery.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If you’re making me choose TCM vs Halloween, just the first films, I would probably go TCM. If it was just the first 2 films I would easily got TCM.

But Halloween 3,4 and 2018 easily make up the ground after that.

A little bummed Exorcist got bumped but at least it lost to another heavy weight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dr. Dan is the creepiest, sleaziest dude and that relationship always sketches me out. But as I said, I think for the people who love Halloween III its "flaws" like that which are the film's strengths.

Dr. Loomis is a sleaze in his own right but its pathos and a character journey. I like to believe that 15 years before the first Halloween Dr. Loomis was a genuinely good and decent guy trying to make a difference. And then he stared into the face of evil and it gradually destroyed him as he became increasingly more and more unhinged and orally compromised as the films go on because he'll do anything to stop Michael. I think that journey is really the heart of the Halloween series much more than the Strode family or weird incestuous rape cult stuff are.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I hate to be predictable, but you're 100% right. I think 6 would have been okay if you could somehow remove the plot and half the characters from the film. When Michael is stomping around doing Michael things it's fine.

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 7, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I hate to be predictable, but you're 100% right. I think 6 would have been okay if you could somehow remove the plot and half the characters from the film. When Michael is stomping around doing Michael things it's fine.

I don’t know that I would agree with that; I remember the Michael scenes feeling pretty tired

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

david_a posted:

I don’t know that I would agree with that; I remember the Michael scenes feeling pretty tired

Michael stabs a guy through the abdomen, lifts him up by the wound, stabs him into an electrical box, and then electrocutes him to the point where his skin begins to boil, and then his head explodes in a shower or brain, gore, and sparks. That was pretty neat.

It's true that most of the kills and threat aren't on par with Freddy or Jason of the same era, but I would be lying if I said I didn't find them entertaining. Also the little girl celebrating the "red rain" was charming.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Halloween 3 is a fun enough b-movie but it's not even in my top 30 horror b-movies and it would not feature on any list of Genuinely Great Horror I made no matter how long it went.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Michael stabs a guy through the abdomen, lifts him up by the wound, stabs him into an electrical box, and then electrocutes him to the point where his skin begins to boil, and then his head explodes in a shower or brain, gore, and sparks. That was pretty neat.

I’ve only seen The Producer’s Cut since it was supposedly “better” and the last half of that doesn’t happen in it :(

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I just finished the Halloween sequels, and I had a better time with them than I was expecting. The Rob Zombie films in particular were a delight. If I end up voting for Halloween it'll be 100% because Mr. Z tipped the scales.

The only surprise is that I really hated the 2018 film. I loved Jamie Lee Curtis and her relationship with her daughter and granddaughter. I liked the longshot of Michael moving through the houses, and the little visual references and inversions. I just really despised the dialogue. Anytime a supporting character opened their mouth, there was a 50/50 chance that I'd want to turn off the film.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The Rob Zombie films in particular were a delight.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Zombie's Halloween 2 is the best Halloween film other than the original.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Zombie's Halloween 2 is the best Halloween film other than the original.

Truth.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Come on there’s gotta be some fellow H2 haters in here

I’ve been itching to vote against this franchise because of that movie but all the alternatives were worse.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I mean, I'm ride or die with TCM and absolutely want to see it win cause overall, as a franchise, I just don't love Halloween like some of y'all do. But Zombie's Halloween II rules and I cannot deny it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Since I now can't get the TV series theme song out of my head, I'm posting this so the rest of you have it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKNc1nORBz0

We're not quite at Rambo 6, right?