Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

so yeah as this thread said multiple times health departments weren't counting people who died in nursing homes; the real death rate was easily over 3000 at the peak and is probably at least a 9/11 per day once we get the revised numbers in a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It wasn't about not going to work or out to park or shopping or whatever it was 2/3 people were sleeping in thier own beds at night and not at an old folks home or homeless shelter or jail or something. It's 2020 if something sounds exaggerated take ten seconds and read the article because it probably is.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thoguh posted:

No, it's literally just people who didn't leave thier home and either end up living in a group setting or becoming homeless. Your response is exactly what the headline is trying to force on people by being entirely misleading.

what

I'm trying to parse your response and I don't get what you're saying here. Someone in a group setting that didn't leave was exposed because someone else brought it in and exposed them. In a strict enough lockdown, you should get pretty close to 100% of cases being people who stayed home because that's going to be everyone anyway.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KaptainKrunk posted:

so yeah as this thread said multiple times health departments weren't counting people who died in nursing homes; the real death rate was easily over 3000 at the peak and is probably at least a 9/11 per day once we get the revised numbers in a month

Lmao, 'was'

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

what

I'm trying to parse your response and I don't get what you're saying here. Someone in a group setting that didn't leave was exposed because someone else brought it in and exposed them. In a strict enough lockdown, you should get pretty close to 100% of cases being people who stayed home because that's going to be everyone anyway.

It took less than a minute to open the article, read it, copy/paste, and post this.

quote:

Hospitals were asked to document where their most recent COVID-19 patients had been staying before admission, Cuomo said, and 66 percent came from their own homes.

About 18 percent came from nursing homes, 4 percent from assisted-living facilities, 2 percent were homeless, 2 percent had been at other "congregate" settings, fewer than 1 percent were prison or jail inmates, and 8 percent were classified as "other."

"This is a surprise," the governor told reporters at the Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research in Manhasset, New York. "Sixty-six percent of the people were at home, which is shocking to us."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao how the year is not even to the halfway point and the official US CV death toll has already exceeded the yearly flu death of 60k/70k.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Thoguh posted:

It took less than a minute to open the article, read it, copy/paste, and post this.

Yeah but you didn't keep reading:

quote:

The governor said it was “shocking" that 66% of new coronavirus hospitalizations are people who are either retired or unemployed and not commuting to work on a regular basis.

It's not they're talking about people who literally live at home, it's that they're talking about people who don't commute to work.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KaptainKrunk posted:

can't wait to reach the peak so this post from the future makes sense.

etalian posted:

lmao how the year is not even to the halfway point and the official US CV death toll has already exceeded the yearly flu death of 60k/70k.

haha, they're already projecting this many CV19 deaths per month and they're being extremely, wildly optimistic in doing so.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Thoguh posted:

I mean Cuomo is literally misrepresenting this information, in order to confuse people, in that very statement that you quoted. It's not that surprising that people are confused by this, they're trying to confuse people.

quote:

Hospitals were asked to document where their most recent COVID-19 patients had been staying before admission, Cuomo said, and 66 percent came from their own homes.

quote:

The governor said it was “shocking" that 66% of new coronavirus hospitalizations are people who are either retired or unemployed and not commuting to work on a regular basis.

These are two different things.

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 01:37 on May 7, 2020

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
EVERYONE IS AGREEING WITH EACH OTHER WHY ARE WE SCREAMING?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am confused, someone set me straight

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

starting to see people I know who've been friends for years getting into public shouting matches on facebook because one of them has dumb chud opinions, and it's happening in a number of different social circles that kept it on lock through obama and 3 years of trump

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Like the point is that some high percentage of people who have been infected have no reason to go outside of their house except for basic necessities, which is a totally meaningless statement in a state that's in lockdown. Because nobody is hermetically sealed in their homes so everyone has some chance of being exposed or coming into contact with someone who's been exposed, and it doesn't matter if you're unemployed or retired or whatever.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Steve Yun posted:

gently caress you

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Thoguh posted:

The actual article just says that 2/3 of people lived at home so I don't get how they connect that to saying those people rarely left home, much less defining what 'rarely' meant in this context.

lol christ that is stupid

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

reminder that the flu number of 60k includes 45k deaths they just "assume" was the flu, which is fair and probably correct

it's the exact opposite metric chuds want to use to count covid deaths

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Paradoxish posted:

Isn't this like completely expected, though?

New York is locked down so most people who get sick now are going to be people who "stayed home." They still had to be exposed to it somewhere because it's not like it's hunting you through walls or whatever the gently caress.

I hate to break it to you but it is hunting us through walls now.

Steve Yun posted:

see above

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Judakel posted:

Dudes rock.

I'm that 3% but boy am I phoning it in

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I hate to break it to you but it is hunting us through walls now.

see above

Just like that Cuban embassy sound headache stuff

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Wendy Burger not selling beef is like Tim Apple all of the sudden selling OrangeOS systems. This is GOD drat AMERICA :911:

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
if u live ina building clean the common/entry areas like every day or youre all doomed

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1258042551757570048?s=20

The results from a new set of surveys by Morning Consult found that 14 percent of American adults would not get a COVID-19 vaccine if one were available and 22 percent aren’t sure if they would. In a separate recent survey, currently undergoing peer review, political scientists Kristin Lunz Trujillo and Matt Motta found that 23% of U.S. respondents said they would not get vaccinated against COVID-19.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah but you didn't keep reading:

It's not they're talking about people who literally live at home, it's that they're talking about people who don't commute to work.

The 66% is people who sleep in thier own beds.

The article switches in the second part to talk about how most people getting sick are not front line workers but isn't clear about it so people read it as 'wow, 2/3 of the people who get this are observing stay at home orders and not leaving home at all' when that isn't what the data says or what the article is actually saying, though it is certainly what it is implying.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

*uses an elevator nearly every day 30 other people have used in the last 2 hours* it must be farts coming from my pipes

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

fosborb posted:

new C-SPAM motto

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I'm legitimately considering quitting my job because nobody in the entire company is acting like anything has changed and not a single person in the office other than me is wearing a mask. I hate these goddamned chuds so much I'm just screaming internally all day long.

hell, same.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

twoday posted:

The results from a new set of surveys by Morning Consult found that 14 percent of American adults would not get a COVID-19 vaccine if one were available and 22 percent aren’t sure if they would. In a separate recent survey, currently undergoing peer review, political scientists Kristin Lunz Trujillo and Matt Motta found that 23% of U.S. respondents said they would not get vaccinated against COVID-19.

this is convenient since there will never be one

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

FizFashizzle posted:

this is convenient since there will never be one

Do you base that on the failed vaccines for SARS and MERS or there's something else going on that you feel a vaccine will never happen?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fosborb posted:

it's cspam and someone has to be the best

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spime Wrangler posted:

starting to see people I know who've been friends for years getting into public shouting matches on facebook because one of them has dumb chud opinions, and it's happening in a number of different social circles that kept it on lock through obama and 3 years of trump

Yeah, response to this thing has turned in to a proxy war for politics in some frustrating but occasionaly delightful ways, especially for all the people that are usually 'I'm the sane moderate who thinks the truth is in the middle' types having crack ping moments about republicans openly being a death cult that wants to murder service workers.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Steve Yun posted:

We don't do that here.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

i listened to cuomo's entire statement. seemed to me like he was implying that most of the 66% of people who said they "stayed at home" and still caught the virus were old people who did not socially distance.

not to defend the cuomo, gently caress him, but didnt seem that unreasonable. of course the media takes it out of context and distorts it

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I don't know about anyone else but I've gone total Brazil.

When I come into work the store is being sanitized and new plastic sheets are being hung, we're all wearing appropriate gear and are a skeleton crew to keep interaction down. Customers are limited and routed through the store and are also fully protected ppe or wait outside patiently while we fulfill their order. People that come in are grateful and polite and cautious. I feel like a hero helping out my community in such a challenging time.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

twoday posted:

hahaha this virus is just so goddamn good at owning americans

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

it's cspam and someone has to be the best

Pffft. That's what YOU think. Unlike you I'm super humbled. You never hear me brag about anything.
:agesilaus:

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

at first i feared it, but now i respecte it. *salute*

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

Do you base that on the failed vaccines for SARS and MERS or there's something else going on that you feel a vaccine will never happen?

there's never been a vaccine for any coronavirus, has there? my understanding is that them claiming they'll be able to make one is mostly wishful thinking and hoping against hope more than it is based on past precedent

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Thoguh posted:

The 66% is people who sleep in thier own beds.

The article switches in the second part to talk about how most people getting sick are not front line workers but isn't clear about it so people read it as 'wow, 2/3 of the people who get this are observing stay at home orders and not leaving home at all' when that isn't what the data says or what the article is actually saying, though it is certainly what it is implying.

I don't think your reading of the article is correct. The article mentions group settings, but the 66% that Cuomo is talking about and the 66% in the headline is specifically referring to people who are unemployed or retired. It's using those as proxies for "no reason to leave home." The end of the article mentions it too:

quote:

“This is a surprise: Overwhelmingly, the people were at home,” Cuomo said during a briefing on Long Island. “We thought maybe they were taking public transportation, and we’ve taken special precautions on public transportation, but actually no, because these people were literally at home.”

He's saying "they were at home" because they didn't have to take the subway or whatever to get to work. This is dumb for many, many reasons so I doubt we really disagree about much here though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zil posted:

A vaccine will take over a year to be tested, authorized, manufactured, and distributed, at minimum. You should be skeptical of any vaccines that come out early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

I don't think your reading of the article is correct. The article mentions group settings, but the 66% that Cuomo is talking about and the 66% in the headline is specifically referring to people who are unemployed or retired. It's using those as proxies for "no reason to leave home." The end of the article mentions it too:

He's saying "they were at home" because they didn't have to take the subway or whatever to get to work. This is dumb for many, many reasons so I doubt we really disagree about much here though.

well, they only exist to be worker drones/slaves for the ruling class, so if they're unemployed, they have no purpose to exist or do anything. bing bong