Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

empty whippet box posted:

there's never been a vaccine for any coronavirus, has there? my understanding is that them claiming they'll be able to make one is mostly wishful thinking and hoping against hope more than it is based on past precedent

once for cows, so us goons should be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

I don't think your reading of the article is correct. The article mentions group settings, but the 66% that Cuomo is talking about and the 66% in the headline is specifically referring to people who are unemployed or retired. It's using those as proxies for "no reason to leave home."

The 2/3 is definitely the percentage that live at home, the article says so explicitly

quote:

Hospitals were asked to document where their most recent COVID-19 patients had been staying before admission, Cuomo said, and 66 percent came from their own homes.

It also gives you the information to calculate it yourself if you wanted to

quote:

About 18 percent came from nursing homes, 4 percent from assisted-living facilities, 2 percent were homeless, 2 percent had been at other "congregate" settings, fewer than 1 percent were prison or jail inmates, and 8 percent were classified as "other."

And the percentage of unemployed and retired? Not 66% at all.

quote:

The state also reported that among these recently hospitalized patients, only 17 percent are currently employed, while 37 percent are retirees and 46 percent are unemployed.

37+46 = 83

The goal of the article as written is to confuse people exactly the way you're getting confused by it.

Now somebody give me a sixer for this D&D rear end post.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Here in NH our total deaths went up like 20% (19 new deaths) after they found or categorized or like idk admitted we have a huge nursing home problem. I believe per the article we have the highest nursing home to total deaths ratio in the nation (something like 80%)

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

lol, like wildlife doesn't have thousands of viruses locked and loaded to afflict humanity with

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

NYtimes article says that seafood consumption has skyrocketed during the lockdowns, even fish that Americans are normally too squeamish to eat. Pretty interesting. I don't even know how to explain why, other than I liked fish before anyway, but when I was stockpiling in February I definitely went hard on the frozen and canned seafoods.

https://twitter.com/pete_wells/status/1257694308272144384

learn to fish through the meat shortage imo.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Fish delights for all

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
We are fostering some hairless kitties and they already lost one eye each and now they are both going to lose the other one.

They are nice and sweet and i hope the person who did this to them gets corona virus.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Bullfrog posted:

NYtimes article says that seafood consumption has skyrocketed during the lockdowns, even fish that Americans are normally too squeamish to eat. Pretty interesting. I don't even know how to explain why, other than I liked fish before anyway, but when I was stockpiling in February I definitely went hard on the frozen and canned seafoods.

I already had someone ask me about eating insects. Lmao

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Bullfrog posted:

The US progression to opening up our own wet markets is moving along nicely.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rdhRf0OCx5c

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

they got pigeons shittin' on squirrels in there you wouldn't believe it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/66312-ufc-250

UFC in Florida is ON baby! these events usually have anywhere from 10k to 50k people int he stands

mystes
May 31, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The US progression to opening up our own wet markets is moving along nicely.
On the new food pyramid, 3-5 servings of bat will be recommended per day for optimal lib ownage.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rauros posted:

lol, like wildlife doesn't have thousands of viruses locked and loaded to afflict humanity with

A single bat carrier hundreds of different CV strains lol!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Crazypoops posted:

I don't know about anyone else but I've gone total Brazil.

When I come into work the store is being sanitized and new plastic sheets are being hung, we're all wearing appropriate gear and are a skeleton crew to keep interaction down. Customers are limited and routed through the store and are also fully protected ppe or wait outside patiently while we fulfill their order. People that come in are grateful and polite and cautious. I feel like a hero helping out my community in such a challenging time.

thank u for ur service

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

BrokenGameboy posted:

I already had someone ask me about eating insects. Lmao

if you like shrimp, you'll love insects. and if you're allergic to shellfish, you might be allergic to insects as well lol shrimp are sea bugs and this sustains my dad life

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/66312-ufc-250

UFC in Florida is ON baby! these events usually have anywhere from 10k to 50k people int he stands

hell yea

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

skrimps

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/1258203169567526913
gavbot has determined that "humans" are the more likely to vote for his future advancement than "corporations", for now. (his major corporate donors are from industries that can easily work from home)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
after all this, the funniest outcome is that it's another 20 second fight and everyone gets covid anyway

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

May 6th Cum. Deaths Update

C-SPAM vs Epidemiologists:

C-SPAM vs C-SPAM:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Bullfrog posted:

Give a timpu a dozen McDonald's fish sandwhiches and you feed him for a meal; teach a trimpu how to order a fish sandwhich and you feed a troumpo for a lifetime.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1258042551757570048?s=20

The results from a new set of surveys by Morning Consult found that 14 percent of American adults would not get a COVID-19 vaccine if one were available and 22 percent aren’t sure if they would. In a separate recent survey, currently undergoing peer review, political scientists Kristin Lunz Trujillo and Matt Motta found that 23% of U.S. respondents said they would not get vaccinated against COVID-19.
I’m super pro-vaccine but if someone asked if I’d take the first covid vaccine they pop out I’d be like “uh, weeeeellllll ummmmm” I know there’s a bunch of safety rules and poo poo but ummmmmmm

Bullfrog posted:

Didn’t I read something about how the fishing industry is having massive covid outbreaks too? Have they worked something out where if you get a fever they chuck you overboard?

fosborb posted:

if you like shrimp, you'll love insects. and if you're allergic to shellfish, you might be allergic to insects as well lol shrimp are sea bugs and this sustains my dad life
Well why I am I bothering to start this locust ranch if I can’t even eat them?

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

fosborb posted:

I know, I have a weird fascination with entomophagy. The fact that people are actually curious now is something.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

BMX Ninja posted:

Here in the UK, BoJo is prepping to announce a limited re-opening of some businesses next week.

The local governments in Scotland and NI are just :chloe: at this proposition, and likely to break from England/Wales. NI has been around R0.7 for a few weeks now and Scotland is something similar, while England/Wales are still R1+.

Scotland/NI were already hugely divided from the rest of the UK regarding Brexit. But this has really emphasized that we're not a United Kingdom. Scotland's First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has been widely praised for her no-nonsense daily updates. NI has been more of a mixed bag, with the pro-UK DUP party leader tending to tow the Westminster line. Her Sinn Fein deputy has been more in favour of an all-island approach that would see Northern Ireland take steps more in line with Ireland, which responded to the pandemic far better than the UK. Right now there's a lot of Unionist people in NI looking at how Ireland handled it and beginning to question whether they're actually on the winning side.

Broke: Balkanized US
Woke: Independent Scotland, United Ireland

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
It's pretty easy to explain why people are getting more adventurous about eating various things they've never ate before. They all know that the food supply chain is going to get hosed up so might as well learn how to eat what would be available in the future.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

fosborb posted:

my experience with insects are that they are hard shells filled with goo

are there actually insects with edible solid flesh like shrimp

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

2DCAT posted:

Wendy Burger not selling beef is like Tim Apple all of the sudden selling OrangeOS systems. This is GOD drat AMERICA :911:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I made some haddock I bought from safeway and those fuckers were still full of bones
I already have to scale the drat things what am I paying the fish counter for

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

C-SPAM vs C-SPAM:

maybe someone can figure out how to arrange this in a MK style progression

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ymgve posted:

Mealworms and grubs, mostly

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

C-SPAM vs C-SPAM:

unreasonably excited to check this every day

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

ymgve posted:

Many are more like crab where it solidifies on cooking.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Fasdar posted:

I only eat the claws of crabs so I guess insects are not for me

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

ymgve posted:

yeah, you want muscle. crustaceans get good muscle mass in their appendages and abdomens by getting larger in buoyant water. insects are constrained in size, so cricket legs aren't nice and meaty.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Fasdar posted:

I ate some sort of baby species of softshell crab at a sushi restaurant once and it was incredible
if they can make insects taste that good I am in

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

American kids are so fuckin wrecked that when they join the military and have to do physical stuff their hips frequently break lol

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19090388

I didn't read the whole paper but this appears to be a study of British infantry trainees. The author found femoral fractures were most prevalent in the paratrooper division (no poo poo lol)

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

overmind2000 posted:

Mealworms and grubs, mostly

https://hellohomestead.com/how-to-start-your-own-mealworm-farm/

It ain't much, but it's honest work. Great for free fishing bait too

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I ate some sort of baby species of softshell crab at a sushi restaurant once and it was incredible
if they can make insects taste that good I am in

Taste wise, when I've had them. They're very nutty tasting. Obviously there's a crunch, but there's no weird mouth feel like you'd think.

Man I really want some spicy chapulín tacos with lime now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

facetoucher cat posted:

https://twitter.com/SonHuge/status/1258150447954759682

Can we pause for a moment and take in the turbo nerd equivalent of jr's elaborate gun?

This is what buttigieg committed war crimes with