Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

I assumed everyone in the deposition was with Weyland-Yutani.
Nope, whole bunch of government people except for Burke. Even Van Leuwen is with the Interstellar Commerce Commission.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ok, then 4 went to having "Father".
Fun fact: the actor who played Father reprised the role for the Alien Resurrection video game (where he has a lot more dialogue).

A4R8 posted:

Can you believe that moron blamed the A-list cast, director, and production values (all in one sentence) for Alien Resurrection’s mixed reception?

The guy is a loving tool.
I get people's problems with him but I'm largely okay with Whedon's writing even if his personality can be... abrasive.
I agree that he doesn't get enough flak for 'Alien Resurrection', but I think there are more problems with that movie than just his writing. His writing was tonally inappropriate for an Alien movie, but I feel Jeunet genuinely didn't know how to mesh his surrealist directorial style with the writing he was given which exacerbated the problem. I think either having Whedon direct his own script (or give it to someone who better understood his humor and tone) or writing a script better suited for Jeunet's sensibilities would have worked out a lot better.

THAT SAID, the scene where Ripley finds the failed clones is one of the best scenes in the franchise.

Neo Rasa posted:

Canon-wise I believe there were others like her around, there's maybe like one and a half sentence about it in the movie but vaguely it's like we started using androids to manufacture androids and the result was androids like Call who get recalled ( :whatup: ) because techno-babble not as easy to program to do stuff or whatever but also all the other androids we see in the movies can do whatever anyway and it's not really spelled out in any meaningful way.
If I remember right, Call being an "Auton" (a second-gen android, built by other androids) was leading to a sort of technological singularity/Blade Runner-esque situation which scared the poo poo out of humanity, so they tried to stomp the problem out before things went full in the direction things like that tend to go.

I want to say that the WY Report supplemental book from a few years ago goes into more detail on the topic (since the book is chronologically "set" several years after Resurrection) but I'd have to double-check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, basically if you're going to work with a wisecraking John Woo ripoff script, don't have Weaver try to change and chop it into some kind of crazy sci fi sexual thing and then have Jeunet, the most John Woo director director ever, direct it. The script could have worked with the right person (who could cut down on the Whedonisms and go crazy with the heroic bloodshed to make it an ENTIRELY different movie). Not with that combo at all - he was kind of right about that, but the script wasn't that great in its original form.

I just defend it as being an entirely different movie than what we got.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

I assumed everyone in the deposition was with Weyland-Yutani.

This line is in the script. I can't remember if it's spoken in that deleted scene, but I think it is:

BURKE
Look, I believe you, but there are
going to be some heavyweights in
there. You got Feds, you got
interstellar commerce commission,
you got colonial administration,
insurance company guys...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

OTOH he did make The Avengers, a really fun film

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Without defending Joss directly, writers have been frustrated by the way directors and actors interpreted their scripts.
And joss’s dialog is very specific. It has a rhythm to it that JPJ and the actors didn’t really grasp.

But it’s not the issue with the movie. It’s like...the whole film is just off. And the story isnt really that good. But what works for it is actually the actors just going for it and it’s outlandish style.

So I get Joss’s issues, but I also think it’s mostly his fault it’s bad so

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

Yeah, basically if you're going to work with a wisecraking John Woo ripoff script, don't have Weaver try to change and chop it into some kind of crazy sci fi sexual thing and then have Jeunet, the most John Woo director director ever, direct it. The script could have worked with the right person (who could cut down on the Whedonisms and go crazy with the heroic bloodshed to make it an ENTIRELY different movie). Not with that combo at all - he was kind of right about that, but the script wasn't that great in its original form.

I just defend it as being an entirely different movie than what we got.

This would have owned but I don't think would have been possible. The one really major deviation from Whedon's script was that they didn't have enough budget to do the big running retreat shootout where everyone's fleeing from a large number of the aliens while blasting them through the ships hydroponic gardens.

I think the most interesting thing about Whedon feeling everyone else around hosed up and did everything in the opposite of his intended tone is it revealed a lot about his style of "feminism." Like the part early on where RIpley's gravely informing the scientists that you can't take the aliens and teach them tricks like a pet and they're "well, that's what we've been doing with you," like, that entire scene was just to set up that as quip because Whedon genuinely didn't have the self awareness to realize what a hosed up situation Ripley is in. The the film handles this is one of the only good things about it, with her being told that so early on and with such earnestness that she knows immediately that absolutely nothing has changed in the past 200 years, and it gives the various goofy lines and bits from the scientists/officers about how stuff has changed a good dark sense of humor since RIpley's known from the get go that she's just another toy to these folks.

So I do think Jeunet had some good stuff going on and a good insight on how to work with the script, just, I mean there's only so much you can do with that script.

But as others have said, the story in general is just kind of off because everything has to bend around Ripley being the main character, but also far enough into the future that they don't have to actually deal with any of the poo poo that went down in Aliens and Alien 3. And due to how Whedon's writing works the cast feels too big imo because they kill off Michael Wincott really early and every other person in the crew is just angry quip person.

But dang maybe without having to pay Weaver as much as they did they would have been able to go full action with it. But Fox was pretty dead set on getting Weaver back and, IIRC from how Jeunet talks about it on the quadrilogy stuff, they were relatively down with just about anything he wanted to as long as Weaver was good and he put a some decent gore in it.

MrMojok posted:

This line is in the script. I can't remember if it's spoken in that deleted scene, but I think it is:

BURKE
Look, I believe you, but there are
going to be some heavyweights in
there. You got Feds, you got
interstellar commerce commission,
you got colonial administration,
insurance company guys...

I mean it's a given that even if not every person at the debriefing is specifically employed by Weyland-Yutani, every person in the meeting has some kind of stake in wanting to know why a $$$$ mining ship got self-destructed now that its one surviving crew member has turned up and everything has to be reopened. To someone as small time as Ripley I don't think there's any effective difference.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 5, 2020

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

This would have owned but I don't think would have been possible. The one really major deviation from Whedon's script was that they didn't have enough budget to do the big running retreat shootout where everyone's fleeing from a large number of the aliens while blasting them through the ships hydroponic gardens.

There's a giant shift-focus change, and it's only really apparent by reading the script first and then seeing the movie as opposed to vice versa (visuals and feel tend to get more stuck in your head in adaptation). Reading the script in the 90s and then seeing *that movie* was just so jarring and weird because of the difference.

The gigantic difference is that the script was a crew of John Woo characters who get trapped on a ship where HUNDREDS of aliens just break loose all over the place and they just happen to have clone Ripley with them coming along for the ride. There were a ton of cutaways to aliens just running around loving poo poo up as opposed to that one sequence of the 10 aliens that were on the ship killing crewmembers, two additional action sequences and extended sequences, etc. Also, you had entire main characters removed (St. Just, who was supposed to be Chow Yun Fat) to make room for more Ripley. It did make it a completely different thing.

If Michael Bay had directed that script, it probably would have been the perfect marriage, made a ton of money, but everyone would have hated it until it found a new voice today when people realized Michael Bay wanted to pull out the fetishism in the script and make a point about people who write scripts like that. I can't think of anyone else who could have turned that into anything interesting - John Woo was too earnest then and it would have just been too Whedon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't think the script stands out as like, THE reason why Resurrection doesn't work, but it's not always easy to pin down exactly why a movie doesn't work. But when you've got that mix of extremely talented, proven people working on it and you're still turning around and pushing all the blame onto them, it's just a bad look. Whedon could answer those questions a thousand different ways that don't make him sound like a dick but he seems to consistently come off like this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When I rewatched the movie, I was struck by how incredibly misgynist the script was, basically objectifying Call whenever possible.

The proto-Firefly crew are also all irredeemable pieces of poo poo except for Call.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Payndz posted:

On a sidenote, the tracker works completely differently between when they find Jones and when Dallas goes into the vents. Short-range audio-only "bbbbbbBBBBBLEEEEEEEE" first, then a longer-range, multi-deck detector with a screen and tension-inducing "doot-doot, doot-doot" sonar blips. It's something I'd always subconsciously registered, but never put into words until now. Maybe Ash included a mode select switch that picked whatever noise would be more terrifying.

This is 100% just the film makers making things more interesting.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MonsieurChoc posted:

The proto-Firefly crew are also all irredeemable pieces of poo poo except for Call.
"Ho-ho, here are our quirky, quippy protagonists! Whom we introduce kidnapping helpless people for the purposes of appalling medical experimentation - what do you mean, you don't like them? They make QUIRKY QUIPS!"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Which of the three characters played by Lance Henriksen is your favorite in the Alien franchise?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bishop
Weyland
Alien 3 guy

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hot take: Charles Weyland is a more interesting and nuanced character than Peter Weyland.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not really a hot take. Peter was more of a villain in Prometheus. But his one scene in Covenant is maybe my favorite scene in the entire alien series due to how much poo poo is going on there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hate how films keep taking Guy Pearce and aging him up unconvincingly.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not really a hot take. Peter was more of a villain in Prometheus. But his one scene in Covenant is maybe my favorite scene in the entire alien series due to how much poo poo is going on there.

It's so good.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Alien 3 Bishop rules tho. That whole ending scene with him and the guys wrapped in Saran wrap owns

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Does Charles Bishop Weyland get killed by a Predator or Alien in AvP? I can't remember, but I always thought it was just Bill Paxton who got killed by the great late-80s-early-90s sci-fi trifecta of a Terminator, Alien, and Predator.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Payndz posted:

"Ho-ho, here are our quirky, quippy protagonists! Whom we introduce kidnapping helpless people for the purposes of appalling medical experimentation - what do you mean, you don't like them? They make QUIRKY QUIPS!"

Yeah, I was rooting against them from that point.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Does Charles Bishop Weyland get killed by a Predator or Alien in AvP? I can't remember, but I always thought it was just Bill Paxton who got killed by the great late-80s-early-90s sci-fi trifecta of a Terminator, Alien, and Predator.

A pred sticks him with his giant anime wrist blades after getting flame throwered

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

He gets killed by a Predator in AVP.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Henrikson and Paxton. The only actors who got the ultimate film death trifecta by the Terminator, Alien and Predator.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The dollar must have gone through one hell of an "adjustment" if the Prometheus cost a trillion and the Nostromo only $42 million. That's Weimar Germany/North Korea currency revaluation-level poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Payndz posted:

The dollar must have gone through one hell of an "adjustment" if the Prometheus cost a trillion and the Nostromo only $42 million. That's Weimar Germany/North Korea currency revaluation-level poo poo.

Another approach for a diagetic explanation is to assume that Prometheus is the bleeding edge program literally inventing the tech and the Nostromo is incredibly mature established tech.

Look at old computer ads for an idea. 256k memory. Monochrome CRT. Ten grand adjusted for inflation in 1984. Now absolutely rinsed by a ten dollar raspberry pi.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 7, 2020

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CelticPredator posted:

Henrikson and Paxton. The only actors who got the ultimate film death trifecta by the Terminator, Alien and Predator.

Yeah but Jenette Goldstein gets killed by an alien, a terminator and The Titanic.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
I'm not sure the observation that a space-trillionaire's bespoke death barge to take him beyond known space to beg for immortality from the gods like a more successful pharoh costs more than a towing barge is very surprising

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

GoldStandardConure posted:

Yeah but Jenette Goldstein gets killed by an alien, a terminator and The Titanic.

Technically...............

Vasquez is killed by a grenade.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GoldStandardConure posted:

This made me laugh a lot harder than it probably should have, thank you for that. :cheers:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

banned from Starbucks posted:

Alien 3 Bishop rules tho. That whole ending scene with him and the guys wrapped in Saran wrap owns

That and the kickass armored dudes.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

CelticPredator posted:

Are there any actors who've killed an alien, predator, and terminator?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Are there any actors who've killed an alien, predator, and terminator?

Michael Biehn is the closest, he just needs to be cast in a Predator movie to complete the trifecta.

Very few people have killed a Terminator, that's really the limiting factor there. Biehn didn't even really do it, technically.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Arnold has killed a Terminator and Predator.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

banned from Starbucks posted:

Arnold has killed a Terminator and Predator.

True, didn't even think about a Terminator killing another Terminator.

Maybe we'll eventually get Arnold back in the Dutch role for an AvP movie and he can kill a Xeno.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

CelticPredator posted:

I would add all the dialogue scenes with just David vs. Walter together, too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I present H R Giger: The Videogame

Edit— the video thumbnail is borderline NSFW, search YouTube for “Scorn Xbox trailer”. :nms:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Can anyone explain why Prometheus and Covenant are so into the mystery of who created humanity?

Like, is it really a mystery, Ridley?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Because in that universe aliens made us and certain characters want to know why.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

porfiria posted:

Can anyone explain why Prometheus and Covenant are so into the mystery of who created humanity?

*gestures wildly at the entire history of world religion and myth*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

porfiria posted:

Because it’s so much fun Jan! Get it!