Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

could you tell me more about what MLK would say if he were alive today and how Democrats are good on drug policy

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Is the fact that Inslee's plan was better than Bernie's relevant to discussion of Biden's plan which is worse than both, which is where you started from, or are all of the plans actually bad so we shouldn't bother talking about who might have actually had an okay one versus whose are noticeably awful

Like, pick one, you can mock Bernie for having a worse plan than Inslee, or you can ignore all of the plans as being not good enough and then pretend that Biden is still a good option, but those two thoughts should be incompatible in your head

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The counterargument to the trolley problem is simple: If you get slashed in the chest thirty times instead of fifty, you still die.

At a certain point, the outcomes of actions, regardless of the discrepancy in severity between actions, will be the same.

The environment will not care if Biden's environmental stances were better than Trump's, it will still collapse on schedule, and our children will not give a poo poo who we didn't vote for, only who we did.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

My plan to deal with this election is to get forced to go back to work, catch COVID and die. And that way no one can ever ask me who I voted for.

Yeah my state's get back to work guidelines is evil as poo poo. They are trying to guilt people off unemployment or force them off.

And yeah its a "Blue" State, but hey Vote Blue No Matter Who.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Probably Magic posted:

The environment will not care if Biden's environmental stances were better than Trump's, it will still collapse on schedule, and our children will not give a poo poo who we didn't vote for, only who we did.

Funny how every climate scientist thinks your completely absolutely wrong.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Probably Magic posted:

The counterargument to the trolley problem is simple: If you get slashed in the chest thirty times instead of fifty, you still die.

At a certain point, the outcomes of actions, regardless of the discrepancy in severity between actions, will be the same.

And my morality doesn't accept a single rape, so the fact that Trump has done more than one doesn't change the fact that Biden has done, at the very least, one.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Somfin posted:

Is the fact that Inslee's plan was better than Bernie's relevant to discussion of Biden's plan which is worse than both, which is where you started from, or are all of the plans actually bad so we shouldn't bother talking about who might have actually had an okay one versus whose are noticeably awful

Like, pick one, you can mock Bernie for having a worse plan than Inslee, or you can ignore all of the plans as being not good enough and then pretend that Biden is still a good option, but those two thoughts should be incompatible in your head

Biden's the nominee who has a realistic change of getting into the White House. The least bad plan wins.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Araenna posted:

I guess no one wants to weigh in on how long I have to vote for people who won't do poo poo for my rights before other people who don't give a poo poo about my rights will stop yelling at me to vote for a rapist.

Everything about how we handle disability rights in this country is extremely hosed up and every time I learn something about it, it's worse. I'm sorry. I've considered trying to get on SSI before but everything I heard discouraged me and welp.

It would be nice if Biden had at least some sort of statement about this but he's very busy babbling with c-listers and denying rape.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Scientist Al Gore posted:

Biden's the nominee who has a realistic change of getting into the White House. The least bad plan wins.

Lol even in the quote you pulled they don't say that his plan is good enough, just that Trump is probably worse

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somfin posted:

So does relative badness matter or not, you keep flip flopping on this

Look, Araenna, you just need to understand that, just like with all previous elections, the idea of actually getting anything you want is a pipe dream and you need to sit down and give old white men what they want instead. Something something Virginia.

I haven't really been paying attention. What exactly has been going on in Virginia other than making it easier to get Democrats elected?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Somfin posted:

Lol even in the quote you pulled they don't say that his plan is good enough, just that Trump is probably worse

Yes that's the point.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yes that's the point.

Like, in the quote you pulled, they said that they needed this poo poo fixed by 2030

Biden's plan puts that at 2050

2050-2030 is 20 years too late when we have 10

That is not enough time

They do not state that it is

In short

Probably Magic posted:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

They don't, you're lying, again. It's outright pathetic now; your own links show that Biden's climate plan does not meet the minimum requirements scientists have given and they're only endorsing him because his opponent outright denies the existence of climate change, and yet you're still sticking your fingers in your ears to pretend that Biden is actually good instead of woefully insufficient. And that's not even getting into how climate change is going to cause the worst refugee crises the world has ever seen; given that Biden is worse than Henry loving Kissinger when it comes to helping refugees fleeing crises the USA creates, he's going to cause the suffering and death of millions and do nothing to relieve it.

You keep going well beyond arguing that Biden is the lesser evil and getting into insisting that he's not evil at all, lying and denying reality to try to pretend that you aren't voting for a monster. but you aren't fooling anyone except possibly yourself.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I haven't really been paying attention. What exactly has been going on in Virginia other than making it easier to get Democrats elected?

Democrats got control over the entire state legislature and have been passing some decent-to-good laws. Some people keep pointing to this as proof that leftists need to shut up and accept incremental reform, conveniently ignoring that a lot of that good stuff is only happening thanks to the actual leftist that was elected there despite the state party not helping him, and who's been dealing with the moderates watering down or killing his proposals as well as trying to primary him with a corrupt former Republican even as they take credit for the good things of his they do allow to pass.

They're yet to answer how I can apply the "Virginia model" to states like my own, California, where Democrats have a supermajority in both state houses and the governorship and are still failing miserably in many regards, such as holding PG&E accountable for murdering hundreds of people and destroying entire towns.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 7, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Somfin posted:

Like, in the quote you pulled, they said that they needed this poo poo fixed by 2030

Biden's plan puts that at 2050

2050-2030 is 20 years too late when we have 10

That is not enough time

They do not state that it is

In short

Yes, and I clarified that.

https://twitter.com/KHayhoe/status/1210936553238925313

Behind closed doors, no climate scientist thinks we're going to stay under 2C because we're already there or that close but until we officially hit it they're going push to reduce emissions.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

They don't, you're lying, again. It's outright pathetic now; your own links show that Biden's climate plan does not meet the minimum requirements scientists have given and they're only endorsing him because his opponent outright denies the existence of climate change, and yet you're still sticking your fingers in your ears to pretend that Biden is actually good instead of woefully insufficient. And that's not even getting into how climate change is going to cause the worst refugee crises the world has ever seen; given that Biden is worse than Henry loving Kissinger when it comes to helping refugees fleeing crises the USA creates, he's going to cause the suffering and death of millions and do nothing to relieve it.

You keep going well beyond arguing that Biden is the lesser evil and getting into insisting that he's not evil at all, lying and denying reality to try to pretend that you aren't voting for a monster. but you aren't fooling anyone except possibly yourself.

I don't think any of that. He's just better than Trump on Climate.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

no climate scientist thinks we're going to stay under 2C because we're already there or that close but until we officially hit it they're going push to reduce emissions

Remember what I said about you flip flopping

Christ I can't imagine the headaches you must have from all of this cognitive dissonance

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Somfin posted:

Remember what I said about you flip flopping

Christ I can't imagine the headaches you must have from all of this cognitive dissonance

Is Trump better or worse than Biden on climate?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Given what you know about both campaigns, and what you've posted in the thread- don't think I won't quote your posts to argue against you on this- do you think the differences between them matter?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

When the end result is the same then, say it with me, they're both equally bad.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Even if one of them lets us eke out another half-generation of survival before everything goes to hell, that's not nothing.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

I don't think any of that. He's just better than Trump on Climate.

if the end result is disaster, does it matter if its 20 years or 25

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The actual issue is, is unconditionally supporting Biden better or worse than holding out for someone who will actually address the issue?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

It's shame that Bernie's plan wasn't even the best either, it was Jay Inslees!

You refused to answer my question earlier, so I’ll repost it for you here:

What’s the difference between +3.9C temperature rise by 2050 and +4C temperature rise by 2050?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

What’s the difference between +3.9C temperature rise by 2050 and +4C temperature rise by 2050?

I’d say it’s about 2.5%

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Mellow Seas posted:

I’d say it’s about 2.5%

So inspiring!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Phone posted:

I honestly don't have an answer because I don't really understand the question? What are you asking exactly?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mekchu posted:

When the end result is the same then, say it with me, they're both equally bad.

Here's what the results could be and Trump gets you hotter than Biden. :downsrim:

The impacts of climate change at 1.5C, 2C and beyond

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Here's what the results could be and Trump gets you hotter than Biden. :downsrim:

The impacts of climate change at 1.5C, 2C and beyond

Biden has coal people on-deck so they're about the same on environment, as in neither will do anything

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Cant wait until 2050 rolls around to see whether or not Biden actually implemented any of his plans.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trying make some crazy wild prediction potentially decades in the future with a billion data points is impossible. Why should I even consider this?

If your counterargument is that we can't possibly know whether Trump or Biden will ultimately result in less or more suffering than the other, then a utilitarian decision is impossible and that case for voting for Biden makes no sense.

If I can't know which track is better then there's no reason to pull the lever especially if it says "rape is cool" on it

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Civilized Fishbot posted:

My answer to the trolley problem is that you should pull the lever, and I believe that out of a sense of rule utilitarianism. The (well, one) difference between the choice facing voters and the trolley problem is that voters are players in a game with multiple iterations, where their choices during one round affect the choices available in future rounds. If you're thinking about the elections after 2020, the ones in 2022, 2024, 2026, 2028, you want to affect the candidates that'll be available, and the stance those candidates will have, and the mechanism available to you as a voter is to set standards for which candidates you'll support and which you won't.

If you look at every election as a totally isolated choice, where afterward everyone forgets everything that happened and we all start over for the next one, then voting for Biden is obviously rational. But the voting blocks we establish now - either loyal democrats or picky leftists - matter going forward, and the picky leftists have more influence and power to improve the world. This isn't just a decision about which candidate is better, it's a decision about what kind of voter you want to be, and whether you want the Democratic party to take your vote for granted

I agree that the past results affect future options, but you’re making a big assumption that somehow Dems losing equals leftist President in 4 years. If that were true, why did Bernie do even worse this year than 2016? What proof can you point to that Democrats fall in line behind your views whenever they lose? You could just as easily argue they’ll probably move right if they lose. Maybe next time it’s Bloomberg or whoever the younger version of Bloomberg is. Why should I take it on faith it’ll be AOC?

You’re also ignoring the many ways in which the Republicans gather more and more lasting power with each win. The courts are the obvious example. That power makes future progressive change that much more difficult. The way to stop them is to make Trump a one-termer. The more gains they lock in the worse things get. Not “marginally worse but we’ll fix it later.” Drastically worse. Sometimes irreparably worse.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 7, 2020

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I honestly don't have an answer because I don't really understand the question? What are you asking exactly?

It’s a pretty straight forward question. Let me phrase it this way:

What’s the difference between these two numbers with respect to global temperature rises by 2050: 3.9C and 4C?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Joe Biden is obviously lying, these people might be experts in climate science, but they don't have any particular expertise in mindreading so their endorsement that Joe Biden (property of Exxon) is for real going to end fossil fuels doesn't carry any special weight.

Let me know when Counsellor Troi endorses Biden's honest mental state.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

yronic heroism posted:

The way to stop them is to make Trump a one-termer.

Then you better get started finding people who will vote for your big wet boy Biden

I'd recommend phone banking or perhaps door knocking

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Somfin posted:

Then you better get started finding people who will vote for your big wet boy Biden

I'd recommend phone banking or perhaps door knocking

I don’t feel the need to brag about the amount of either I plan to do. Turns out... that bragging is, not a great plan.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-primary-elections/super-tuesday-results

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 7, 2020

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

yronic heroism posted:

I don’t feel the need to brag about the amount of either I plan to do. Turns out... that is. Not a great plan.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-primary-elections/super-tuesday-results

I love liberal nihilism. Nothing we do matters, so why bother at all? It's a lovely and hopeful ideology.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

i am the bird posted:

I love liberal nihilism. Nothing we do matters, so why bother at all? It's a lovely and hopeful ideology.

You misunderstand, I plan to work to beat Trump and every last Republican Senator on the ballot. But spamposting “better phonebank and door knock” is just an invitation for the obvious response that it didn’t do Bernie much good so there’s no need to act all smug.

As far as ideology goes, who said ideology should be hopeful? Ideology should accurately describe the world. Religion should be hopeful, and should never be substituted for ideology. Meditation and exercise should be hopeful. You want hope, plant a garden or go to your preferred house of worship.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 7, 2020

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Araenna posted:

I guess no one wants to weigh in on how long I have to vote for people who won't do poo poo for my rights before other people who don't give a poo poo about my rights will stop yelling at me to vote for a rapist.

Its a difficult question to answer because you've made it clear you're an actual human who will get actually hosed over by a biden administration, and they can't pretend you're just another Bernie bro to be smugged at.

And also, just so people know, the phonebanking and door knocking was absolutely a big reason for the high primary turnout. The fact that South Carolina and three days of manufactured consent scared a bunch of new voters into voting for joe doesn't mean it failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Its a difficult question to answer because you've made it clear you're an actual human who will get actually hosed over by a biden administration, and they can't pretend you're just another Bernie bro to be smugged at.

And also, just so people know, the phonebanking and door knocking was absolutely a big reason for the high primary turnout. The fact that South Carolina and three days of manufactured consent scared a bunch of new voters into voting for joe doesn't mean it failed.

A white guy getting told by a phone call from another white guy to vote Bernie is democracy in action, but if black people choose to vote differently that’s manufactured consent? Good to know.