Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

I remember spending like 30 seconds looking for an MXM graphic card with a newer / faster GPU and discovering there really wasn't one worth shoveling into the 2011 other than Apple's and possibly switching the 1 GB VRAM card for a 2 GB VRAM.

Yeah Luke Miani did some MXM swapping in his earlier youtube career on the 2011 and apparently it didn't work with the cards that were 'worth' doing the swap for. I was lucky and got this iMac already with the 2GB card.

TraderStav posted:

Did you install a thermal sensor on the SATA drive? The stock HDDs have one built in so without it the Mac flips out and runs everything full tilt.

Yep if you look closely you can see the OWC magic sensor that should have not been a thing in the first place.

Also the 'optical drive' fan doesn't actually cool the optical drive it just happens to be right next to it. It's channeled via a duct below the ODD to blow over the GPU heat pipes.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

I like the super low cost of the $250 refurb iPad, but that's 6th gen which only comes with an A10, 32 GB storage, and 2 GB of RAM.

I'd rather pay a little more for a 64 GB mini with an A12 Bionic and 3 GB of RAM, since I'd prefer to wait longer for the eventual :argh: I will let off when I see that iOS 19.0.1 drops support for my series CPU.

And yeah, it was the first gen Mini. Imagine slowdowns when playing FTL or Star Command, especially during battles.. ugh!

The current iPad is on sale for $250 at Best Buy. It drops to that price every month or two. The 128gb is also only $329 right now

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 6, 2020

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh its the (not) metal paste from Grizzly.

Right, I meant, you could totally have done this with the metal one, because that would have been a good and sane thing to attempt and not at all silly.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah Luke Miani did some MXM swapping in his earlier youtube career on the 2011 and apparently it didn't work with the cards that were 'worth' doing the swap for. I was lucky and got this iMac already with the 2GB card.

Yep if you look closely you can see the OWC magic sensor that should have not been a thing in the first place.

Also the 'optical drive' fan doesn't actually cool the optical drive it just happens to be right next to it. It's channeled via a duct below the ODD to blow over the GPU heat pipes.

That's the same OWC pigtail they sent me for my Late 2012 21.5", there's no room in there like there is in yours though since it's not replacing a 3.5" drive. They probably sent me the wrong one or just plain ignoring that fact.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok data time. I ran a ffmpeg video transcode test before and after cleaning just to know for sure what I was doing was doing a thing but I would have cleaned it regardless because feelings.

So the dust was the biggest performance culprit even tho the factory paste was pretty bad and not even contacting on a lot of the die (you can see shiny die around the dried up paste). Repasting with top shelf paste only increased the performance by a tiny amount but did allow the CPU to turbo a bit more. I'm sure a shorter test would have seen a bigger difference.
How did you do the repasting? I used the "x" method on my 15" rMBP and I saw ~20-30c drops.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

How did you do the repasting? I used the "x" method on my 15" rMBP and I saw ~20-30c drops.

Something would have to be really bad if you got drops that much I would think. I did a thin line with 2 dots. The die is tiny. My idle temps went down maybe 5-8C. At full all core load it still hits tjmax but the cores can turbo more.

e: running my ffmpeg test again with a ambient temp closer to the original 'dirty' run and I'm seeing turbo up to 3.4 now.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 6, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The metal on the heat sink is copper which the liquid Conductonaut won't react with, but what's the metal right on the top of the CPU itself? If its aluminum, that poo poo will corrode it.

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah Luke Miani did some MXM swapping in his earlier youtube career on the 2011 and apparently it didn't work with the cards that were 'worth' doing the swap for.

It didn't work for those other GPU cards likely because they had the PC firmware on them, not the Mac firmware needed to properly initialize the card for use by Mac drivers.

Otherwise, you could have had decent Nvidia GTX 980's in the iMac 2011s.

2012 and 2013 iMacs had GeForce GTX 6xx GPUs in them, but Apple had moved the GPU to the logic board by then, choosing not to use the MXM format in 2010's and 11s.

FCKGW posted:

The current iPad is on sale for $250 at Best Buy. It drops to that price every month or two. The 128gb is also only $329 right now

The current 7th gen iPad is still an A10 Fusion chip, but with 3 GB of RAM at least. I'll still wait for a good price on an iPad mini 5th gen with the A12 Bionic and 3 GB RAM.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 6, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

The metal on the heat sink is copper which the liquid Conductonaut won't react with, but what's the metal right on the top of the CPU itself? If its aluminum, that poo poo will corrode it.

It's just bare die which is some silicon compound(?). Liquid metal is fine on that. The surface mount components and pads need to be isolated from liquid metal tho. I mean liquid metal in a laptop is just dumb. I don't even both with liquid metal on delids I don't know why people think its absolutely necessary for delids because its not.

Binary Badger posted:

It didn't work for those other GPU cards likely because they had the PC firmware on them, not the Mac firmware needed to properly initialize the card for use by Mac drivers.

Otherwise, you could have had decent Nvidia GTX 980's in the iMac 2011s.

I don't think anyone bothered to figure out flashing MXM 980s to Apple? I probably would have done something dumb and bought one for a lot of money otherwise.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't think anyone bothered to figure out flashing MXM 980s to Apple? I probably would have done something dumb and bought one for a lot of money otherwise.

Nope, there's one guy who runs a site (macvidcards.com) where he sells flashed nVidia cards as recent as Titans that have been flashed to Mac compatibility. (No 2080s or similar..)

And even then, they won't work past High Sierra which is due to be EOL'ed (no security updates) soon..

To date I've only see him offer PCIe cards flashed, he might have offered MXM cards in the distant past, but with the relative dearth of iMac 2010/2011 owners wanting to hot rod their machines I'm sure he doesn't think its worth the trouble.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

You will be very happy with either laptop because Apple is back to their scissor style awesome keyboard paired with new hardware, not the impossibly bad butterfly keyboard!
Technically it's a new scissor keyboard with lower travel I think.

Binary Badger posted:

Is there anyone out there doing Zoom conferences on their 2020 MBA yet?

Been thinking about a 2020 Air/ 13 inch Pro to supplant an old 2013 and 2015 13 inch, what super annoys me is that Zoom on either one with at least eight participants makes fan go brrrrr, at a rather annoying level.

It's even got a top of the line (for that time) dual core i7 turboing to 3.1 GHz and Zoom still brings it to it's knees.

I already repasted the CPUs with MX4 2019 and made sure to not duplicate Apple's messy paste job, and it doesn't seem to do much good.

Someone just tell me if their quad core 2020 MBA doesn't seize up with Zoom, and I'll probably join the crowd..
I've posted a few times, probably within the last few of my post history in this thread. Doesn't bring it to its knees, but still unnecessarily eats CPU time. I had turbo boost disabled and fans still got going...course I had Sidecar going too, which while generally fine, can also eat a chunk of CPU randomly.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Is the reasoning here because the remote access exploits on Zoom don't work on the more locked down iOS?
Basically yeah, the app itself has to be more locked down/limited cause App Store rules.

Binary Badger posted:

The current 7th gen iPad is still an A10 Fusion chip, but with 3 GB of RAM at least. I'll still wait for a good price on an iPad mini 5th gen with the A12 Bionic and 3 GB RAM.
I waited for a while after it came out and jumped on a deal for the lower end 64GB one (down from my previous 128) cause it was the only drat deal I'd seen, and it wasn't even that much of a deal. I think I saw one more semi recently but that's about it.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
My sister is replacing her ancient MBA. From what I’ve read in the last couple pages the new MBA is the value play over the MBP? She watches videos and uses text editors. She also has the education discount.

A sanity check on the model and options would be awesome. Budget max is $1200 before tax.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

vs Dinosaurs posted:

My sister is replacing her ancient MBA. From what I’ve read in the last couple pages the new MBA is the value play over the MBP? She watches videos and uses text editors. She also has the education discount.

A sanity check on the model and options would be awesome. Budget max is $1200 before tax.

For that use case base model is fine.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
If she wanted to dabble in photo editing / photoshop work would an i5 or the 16gb RAM upgrade make a difference?

Thanks for weighing in here, she is about to pull the trigger.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do you care about resale value or is she going to run it until it dies?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

vs Dinosaurs posted:

If she wanted to dabble in photo editing / photoshop work would an i5 or the 16gb RAM upgrade make a difference?

Thanks for weighing in here, she is about to pull the trigger.

I'd go for the i5 just because it's significantly faster for $100, but I wouldn't bother for more RAM over the standard 8GB in her case. Probably not a worthwhile buy.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 6, 2020

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I really can’t see that use case benefitting from more than two cores

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
She’s going to use this bad boy until it dies.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

For perspective i 9-5 a 2015 dual core 13" in photoshop + text teditors + many many browsers while hooked up to a 4k monitor and performance is admittedly not stellar, it works. 2.9ghz / 8gb is easily enough for light photoshop duty. i want to upgrade soon but if i wasn't using a huge screen and all my dev tools poo poo there'd be no real reason.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Previous i5 Airs were also all dual core as well so even getting the base i3 isn’t a downgrade, it’s around 20% faster than last years i5 model.

However the i5 upgrade is only $100 (plus a longer shipping time) and gets not only quad core but a slightly faster GPU. It’s a darn good value.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

cowofwar posted:

It's $100. I can't see the reason for getting the i3 base model unless the buyer is on a strict budget or only the base MBA is being offered for a solid sale price, neither of which is true.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Interesting. Sounds like folks are thinking i5 instead of 16GB RAM if I can only pick one.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Interesting. Sounds like folks are thinking i5 instead of 16GB RAM if I can only pick one.

Yeah, the bottleneck isn’t the memory. 8GB should hold up for a while, especially for lighter use.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I would personally choose RAM over a processor bump but that's very much my own use case (1000s of tabs at all times)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don’t understand the many tabs methodology. I have normally 8. At most 20 when I open up many product pages to compare. Sure more tabs on other machines but still the same frequent set.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cowofwar posted:

For that use case base model is fine.

Noooooo. Don’t ever ever ever ever tell anyone that “the base model Air is fine”

“It’s got a dual-core in 2020, but you can bump up to a quad for $100 more....but it’s probably not worth it for you”.

loving dummkopf move right there champ

cowofwar posted:

And “64k ought to be enough for anybody”

vs Dinosaurs posted:

With the edu discount, I’d personally do i5, 16gb RAM, and cap the storage at 256gb instead of 512 if I needed to cut somewhere. That comes out to between $1100 and 1200 in the US, but I could also easily see an argument for forgoing the extra RAM for money-saving reasons or to fit 512gb storage into the budget.

512gb/i5/8gb comes out to $1200 even.

Shaocaholica posted:

I don’t understand the many tabs methodology. I have normally 8. At most 20 when I open up many product pages to compare. Sure more tabs on other machines but still the same frequent set.

In my case it’s literally a manifestation of ADHD.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

i have several windows open with at least 4-5 tabs in each, one window for docs/tutorials, one for work stuff, and one for just loving around. and sometimes a youtube window with multiple tabs on a secondary display with music and videos im watching. i am aPOWER USER.

eames
May 9, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Noooooo. Don’t ever ever ever ever tell anyone that “the base model Air is fine”

“It’s got a dual-core in 2020, but you can bump up to a quad for $100 more....but it’s probably not worth it for you”.

It’s not obvious to me why the quadcore is that much better than the dualcore in the case of the new MBA.
Singlecore performance is almost identical and any sustained multicore load is going to be limited by either power or temperature, so the clear advantage will be in workloads that use all cores in short bursts and don’t trigger the turbo power limit. These seem relatively rare to me.

Reviewers like Dave Lee state that there is no subjective, noticeable difference between the two models in normal use (Web browsing, light photo editing, etc).

Don’t get me wrong, I’d definitely spend the $100 but I don’t think that recommending the base model is dumb.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks folks, I’m gonna pitch in to cover the i5 and she will go for the 16GB RAM with her edu-shekels. Appreciate the meeting of The Minds on this one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Thanks folks, I’m gonna pitch in to cover the i5 and she will go for the 16GB RAM with her edu-shekels. Appreciate the meeting of The Minds on this one.

I feel like that’s the right call.

The machine should definitely last a long rear end time with those specs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ok Comboomer posted:

The issue is that the base model Air has historically gone on sale a lot, and for pretty good prices ($699 or $749). My wife happily used a 4GB RAM Air purchased in 2014 for $699 for 5 years, and people were also saying the same stuff about how it's a huge mistake to get the base Air. The resale value of it also wasn't awful, given how cheap it was new! We did better than if we had gotten a more expensive one, because it's not like resale value of 2014 8GB Airs is sky high either.

Only the off-the-shelf configs go on sale, so sure the list price of the i5/8GB might be $100 higher, but in the real world with discounting it's $300-400 higher because you have to custom order that config. Also, with the 10W TDP target, I'd bet that the dual-core i3 is able to sustain higher clocks for longer than the 4 core i5, because we've seen that same pattern play out in every mac in the last few years. I'm not arguing that the i3 is the best config for everyone. I'm saying that it's not as simple as saying nobody should buy it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

But it’s not $699 right now when he needs to buy it so what difference does it make?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FCKGW posted:

But it’s not $699 right now when he needs to buy it so what difference does it make?

If the price premium is only $100 for the i5, then yes it's probably worth it.

I guess I shouldn't assume that the base Air will continue to get discounted way more than the base Pro, but that was still happening with the most recent gen before this so it's probably a safe bet.

Edit: i3 is already discounted to $930 at Microcenter: https://www.microcenter.com/product/622810/apple-macbook-air-mwtj2ll-a-early-2020-133-laptop-computer---space-gray

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The base 2020 Pro with the 2018 CPU seems like a much much much muuuuuch better buy, to say nothing of being a better computer, than the base 2020 Air TBH.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ok Comboomer posted:

The base 2020 Pro with the 2018 CPU seems like a much much much muuuuuch better buy, to say nothing of being a better computer, than the base 2020 Air TBH.

Yeah, as someone looking to get 8 or 9 years of life out of their next Mac, Paying an extra CAD ~$130 over the i5 w/16gb for the 8th gen w/16gb doesn't look too bad.
And you get the brighter screen, wider color gamut, a little more battery, higher tdp limit...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 7, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

If the price premium is only $100 for the i5, then yes it's probably worth it.

I guess I shouldn't assume that the base Air will continue to get discounted way more than the base Pro, but that was still happening with the most recent gen before this so it's probably a safe bet.

Edit: i3 is already discounted to $930 at Microcenter: https://www.microcenter.com/product/622810/apple-macbook-air-mwtj2ll-a-early-2020-133-laptop-computer---space-gray

The i3 is $899, and i5 is $999, on Apple EDU site (which has lifted all checks on EDU qualification).

You won't see 30% price drops to $699 until it's starting to approach the end of it's life cycle.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

How so? I personally didn't see the need to spend $200 more for an older CPU and a touch bar vs the 2020 i5 Air.

edit: 10th Gen iGPUs have better performance as well.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 7, 2020

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

FCKGW posted:

How so? I personally didn't see the need to spend $200 more for an older CPU and a touch bar vs the 2020 i5 Air.

edit: 10th Gen iGPUs have better performance as well.

10th gen doesn't automatically mean better performance. Even the older pro has a higher TDP and better performance for sustained loads than the new Air. If you're just doing web browsing and simple stuff then the Air will be fine. If you're doing anything that loads the CPU for more than a few seconds at a time you'll want the pro.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't care what anyone says I love those hard plastic case covers for MacBooks. Would have probably saved a few of mine from the dings and dents their previous owners inflicted. They the are super cheap for discontinued MacBooks.

I know a lot of Apple techs hate them probably because some of them have been traps for an ungodly amount of dirt and food debris. Funny how Apple people are either super duper clean or absolute slobs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shaocaholica posted:

I know a lot of Apple techs hate them probably because some of them have been traps for an ungodly amount of dirt and food debris. Funny how Apple people are either super duper clean or absolute slobs.

Can't they just... I dunno, take them off and clean them occasionally? :confused:

Like, I work at a bakery, and flour gets everywhere, but I still find the time to take off my phone case and clean it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mister Facetious posted:

Can't they just... I dunno, take them off and clean them occasionally? :confused:

Like, I work at a bakery, and flour gets everywhere, but I still find the time to take off my phone case and clean it...

Ah you have such high aspirations for humanity. Bless your heart.