Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny that on thought, Billy and Pete basically took on St Cloud with his own methods- using second-hand superhero memorabilia irresponsibly, while it's St Cloud who has the off-the-shelf overpriced super-science gadgets.

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo that’s brilliant, and reading the artbook makes me think something like that was 100 percent deliberate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like Hulu is missing the chrismas / bonus episodes.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
It had them last I checked

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh man, I just realized something that made me bummed out the Guild doesn’t have a Sovereign anymore.

Dermott is descended from Colonel Venture. God drat, could you imagine an episode where Dermott ran the Guild?

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Until I got the art book I thought that Hunter saying Brock was “a quarter Winnebago” was only referring to his size, not him being descended from that tribe. That was a surprise.

This art book fuckin’ rules.

So fun fact for the thread! I'd suggest against using Winnebago when talking about indigenous peoples of these two tribes. It's an exonym that was given to the Ho-Chunk by the Ojibwe, who they shared an incredibly antagonistic relationship with. Winnebago more or less translates from Ojibwe into English as "dirty water, ugh". For historical and legal reasons, the Nebraskan tribe has retained the official name of Nebraska Tribe of Winnebago, but its people still refer to themselves as the Ho-Chunk. In 1994 the Wisconsin tribe ratified a new constitution that removed Winnebago and restored their original name. They're now the Ho-Chunk Nation of Wisconsin.

I don't think anyone in this thread said anything bad or anything, so I hope this didn't come across as overly preachy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
No it's cool, not many of us know present day history and politics with the many native american groups of the US.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Falathrim posted:

So fun fact for the thread! I'd suggest against using Winnebago when talking about indigenous peoples of these two tribes. It's an exonym that was given to the Ho-Chunk by the Ojibwe, who they shared an incredibly antagonistic relationship with. Winnebago more or less translates from Ojibwe into English as "dirty water, ugh". For historical and legal reasons, the Nebraskan tribe has retained the official name of Nebraska Tribe of Winnebago, but its people still refer to themselves as the Ho-Chunk. In 1994 the Wisconsin tribe ratified a new constitution that removed Winnebago and restored their original name. They're now the Ho-Chunk Nation of Wisconsin.

I don't think anyone in this thread said anything bad or anything, so I hope this didn't come across as overly preachy.

That happened with a ton of tribal names, a lot of well-known names for them are another tribe’s words for “those jackasses over the river that we hate and eat their own poop when they’re not banging their sister” type stuff, it’s fascinating.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dermott is descended from Colonel Venture. God drat, could you imagine an episode where Dermott ran the Guild?

Would it really be that different? They're already a bunch of dorks who think they're incredibly badass and probably buy all their henchmen's weapons out of the same catalog where Dermott gets his ninja stars and nuckchucks nunchaku.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

feedmyleg posted:

This was also the first time I'd revisited season 7 since airing. While I was a little cold on it at the time and missed the earlier goofier adventure vibe of the show, this time around I loved it unequivocally. Seasons 5-7 were so janky when it came to the start and end of character and story arcs not lining up with season finales and premieres that it never felt like there was a proper sense of momentum that I could grasp onto. But watching them back-to-back with a proper flow, I absolutely prefer the back half of the show to the front half. It feels like the show is no longer a riff on adventure shows and superscience and has fully become a show about exploring comic book/superhero universes ala The Tick, bringing it full-circle. And now watching regular superhero stuff is way funnier, because I apply VB bureaucratic rules to it. Batman's exploits feel so much sillier with Guild red tape in mind.

e: Peak show is still the one-two-punch of Cleansuit and Gargantua II, though.

if you've not watched the animated Harley Quinn series yet, I highly recommend it. It definitely feels like the writers have seen Venture Bros and/or The Tick

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

feedmyleg posted:

Would it really be that different? They're already a bunch of dorks who think they're incredibly badass and probably buy all their henchmen's weapons out of the same catalog where Dermott gets his ninja stars and nuckchucks nunchaku.

If anything Dermott would end up being the next Triester.

And thanks for the info about the tribe. That is honestly fascinating and I never knew it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dermott seems like he would be a lot like Shore Leave, but only if he could earn that level of skill.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For all we know, Dermott is Treister. He grows up, gets sent back in time, accidentally kills the real Treister and then assumes his identity.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That happened with a ton of tribal names, a lot of well-known names for them are another tribe’s words for “those jackasses over the river that we hate and eat their own poop when they’re not banging their sister” type stuff, it’s fascinating.

As I recall, Sioux might be calling people "snakes" and Iroquis might mean "murderers."

I'm a fan of this sort of business:

"What are those guys called?"
"O-JIB-UH-WAH."
"Chippewa?????"
"....close enough."

- or -

"What's this place called?"
"Kolkata."
"Col-cutta."
"No, Kolkata."
"Calcutta?"
"Kolkata."
"I'm pretty sure we're saying the same thing."
"I can't tell the difference any more either."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"What is this place called?"
"Deutschland"
"Germany, got it."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IUG posted:

Dermott seems like he would be a lot like Shore Leave, but only if he could earn that level of skill.

He totally did earn it but he just doesn't feel like showing you right now :colbert:

e: and besides he threw his back out doing a secret mission for the OSI so lay off, god...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cojawfee posted:

"Deutschland"
"Germany, got it."
ah oui, allemagne

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've said before, but Dermott's true calling has always been a shithead private, and he's going to do just fine. Well, relatively.

He did basically say Rusty pulled a favour to get him into the OSI, but does raise questions how they recruit. IIRC Brock was recruited after he dropped out of college to join the army.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

if you've not watched the animated Harley Quinn series yet, I highly recommend it. It definitely feels like the writers have seen Venture Bros and/or The Tick

This is the most Venture Brothers moment in Harley Quinn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwjGNMA6SCs

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

"Deutschland"
"Germany, got it."

"What is this city called ?"
"Beijing."
"Pékin, d'accord."

"And what about this city, how is it called ?"
"Warsaw."
"Varsovie, j'ai compris."

Granted, I suspect that in the case of Warsaw, that's probably relatively close to how you actually pronounce it in Polish, but still...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said before, but Dermott's true calling has always been a shithead private, and he's going to do just fine. Well, relatively.

He did basically say Rusty pulled a favour to get him into the OSI, but does raise questions how they recruit. IIRC Brock was recruited after he dropped out of college to join the army.

I imagine they got a covert recruiter in a van just patiently waiting outside whatever US armed forces recruiting branch offices waiting to wave down the downcast or dejected dudes who leave.

I suspect this is how all VB henchmen get picked up.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine they got a covert recruiter in a van just patiently waiting outside whatever US armed forces recruiting branch offices waiting to wave down the downcast or dejected dudes who leave.

I suspect this is how all VB henchmen get picked up.

The Guild probably has off-brand "special forces recruitment offices" in strip malls all over the country to lure in non-discerning henchmen on their way to enlist in the military. Like the religious "pregnancy resource centers" that are designed to intercept people who think they're going to Planned Parenthood.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

X_Toad posted:

"What is this city called ?"
"Beijing."
"Pékin, d'accord."

"And what about this city, how is it called ?"
"Warsaw."
"Varsovie, j'ai compris."

Granted, I suspect that in the case of Warsaw, that's probably relatively close to how you actually pronounce it in Polish, but still...

A lot of the names for places we have today come from centuries old mistranslations through multiple languages. Japan, for example, sounds nothing like Nihon, but it was pretty close to what some dutch traders thought Nihon sounded like by the time they reached back to Europe and traded with the English. Reminder that what you think of as a british accent isn't what Brits sounded like in the 1600s. English generally sounded more like modern appalachian-english speakers back then. It wasn't until after the American revolution that British English and American English diverged significantly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

A lot of the names for places we have today come from centuries old mistranslations through multiple languages. Japan, for example, sounds nothing like Nihon, but it was pretty close to what some dutch traders thought Nihon sounded like by the time they reached back to Europe and traded with the English. Reminder that what you think of as a british accent isn't what Brits sounded like in the 1600s. English generally sounded more like modern appalachian-english speakers back then. It wasn't until after the American revolution that British English and American English diverged significantly.

They used to sound like us and then it got popular in England to sound all fancy and poo poo so the modern English accent was literally an affectation.

I don't know if that's true. I heard it on a podcast once and I know it's a lot of fun to tell English people about it because they get really defensive.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cojawfee posted:

"Deutschland"
"Germany, got it."

Location names across languages is a super interesting topic.

"Germany" in Russian is Германия (Germaniya)
But "German" (the language) in Russian isn't Германский (Germanskiy) like you'd expect. It's Немецкий (Nemetskiy) where the root "Немец" means "a mute" because foreigners don't speak Russian. :colbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PostNouveau posted:

They used to sound like us and then it got popular in England to sound all fancy and poo poo so the modern English accent was literally an affectation.

I don't know if that's true. I heard it on a podcast once and I know it's a lot of fun to tell English people about it because they get really defensive.

It is absolutely true. There is some American divergence, for sure. Compare Appalachian to Standard American. However, the British accent developed entirely as a way for nobility to distinguish themselves and it eventually filtered down to the common folk. Something similar has happened in England repeatedly since time immemorial. You have people there before the Celts who get somewhat replaced, but mostly ruling class down. The Romans come in and do it to them before they dip. Latin enters the mix and bleeds down a bit. After the romans dipped the saxons come bringing a germanic ruling tongue then the normans come in and french bleeds down. English's upper class has always had to find a way to distinguish themselves. They were really butthurt about the Revolution and shifted some major parts of their language as a result.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

It is absolutely true. There is some American divergence, for sure. Compare Appalachian to Standard American. However, the British accent developed entirely as a way for nobility to distinguish themselves and it eventually filtered down to the common folk. Something similar has happened in England repeatedly since time immemorial. You have people there before the Celts who get somewhat replaced, but mostly ruling class down. The Romans come in and do it to them before they dip. Latin enters the mix and bleeds down a bit. After the romans dipped the saxons come bringing a germanic ruling tongue then the normans come in and french bleeds down. English's upper class has always had to find a way to distinguish themselves. They were really butthurt about the Revolution and shifted some major parts of their language as a result.

English people get butthurt about it, but it's a lot more fun than regular accent development.

Imagine if the transatlantic accent had caught fire and everyone talked like Fraiser Crane and Katherine Hepburn. It would be awesome.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I want to mention that I bring up Appalachian specifically because it hasn't changed in hundreds of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh wait this is the Venture Bros. thread.

Imagine how cool it would be if the transatlantic accent had caught on and everyone talked like Dr. Orpheus.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

Oh wait this is the Venture Bros. thread.

Imagine how cool it would be if the transatlantic accent had caught on and everyone talked like Dr. Orpheus.

I’m sold, as long as dramatic music plays as people speak.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I caught a video with an actor performing Shakespeare in an Appalachian accent and it fit so much better than a modern British or American accent. Neat stuff.

Also, I talk to myself in an Orpheus/cartoonish Vincent Price voice not-rarely.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

wizzardstaff posted:

The Guild probably has off-brand "special forces recruitment offices" in strip malls all over the country to lure in non-discerning henchmen on their way to enlist in the military. Like the religious "pregnancy resource centers" that are designed to intercept people who think they're going to Planned Parenthood.

Honestly what 21 and 24 did in Season 2 is probably pretty close to standard Guild henchmen recruiting policy, just with more finesse and competence

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah I remember that last bit coming up as a plot point in the novel 1632

Mr. Nice! posted:

I want to mention that I bring up Appalachian specifically because it hasn't changed in hundreds of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

Appalachia is a fascinating place and culture that really needs more usage in media beyond moonshiners and Hatfield and McCoy shenanigans

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly what 21 and 24 did in Season 2 is probably pretty close to standard Guild henchmen recruiting policy, just with more finesse and competence

I've always imagined that comic conventions are a great recruitment tool in this universe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
And Killinger recruited a bunch of henchman for Venture from some kind of social program, too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

And Killinger recruited a bunch of henchman for Venture from some kind of social program, too.

Honestly I figure the high mortality rate among Henchmen onscreen is probably an extreme outlier due to Brock for the most part, basically when gathering statistics it's a Spiders Georg grade outlier that should probably be ignored if one wanted accurate statistics

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Brock has a license to kill. Maybe because he's just one bodyguard protecting the ventures from a bunch of henchmen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I figure the high mortality rate among Henchmen onscreen is probably an extreme outlier due to Brock for the most part, basically when gathering statistics it's a Spiders Georg grade outlier that should probably be ignored if one wanted accurate statistics

Also, the majority of the Monarch’s henchmen actively have a death wish, so that probably raises the death rate significantly.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It was a prison work program iirc

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

"Verk fuhrlowgh prohgraham."

TK-42-1 posted:

It was a prison work program iirc

Yes and no, work furlough programs usually use people on probation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Brock's whole deal becomes interesting in light of the later established things about Guild rules and escalation; while not using any weapons of his own besides a bowie knife is a personal preference, it also means that, on paper, Rusty Venture only has a single unarmed bodyguard and two idiot teenagers at his side, while the Monarch and his henchmen only use tranq darts that are only potentially lethal in massive amounts. It's just that Brock is famous for being a slayer of henchmen because he's a borderline superhuman and basically a modern day version of a D&D Barbarian. It is mentioned that the OSI considers him wasted on Venture, a super-science equivalent of a burnout child star running on fumes.

The OSI is basically a mix of GI Joe and SHIELD (a little recursively) and like both organisations has a very vague structure relative to the US government and military (not even getting into the whole Secret President thing) so I imagine their recruitment is similarly vaguely adjacent to the US military. Guessing they specifically seek recruits that are a little too weird and/or special for the conventional military, and probably a few nepotism cases like Dermott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just saw the scene in s2 of the henchmen being reactivated and doing the dun dun dun dun music, and it's so loving good