Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Adonis is a normal old (ancient even) name.

We've got a Lord Adonis in the UK.

Also a Baroness Blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
x gon give it to ya:

xric
xsanne
xzayashae

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
X AE A-12

Ok

I think he's really named Timmy.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

X AE Æ A-12

Ok

I think he's really named Timmy.

:colbert:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
which is apparently pronounced Sasha Archangel because Grimes is on all the drugs Elon didn't already do

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Wait what

Literally how do you get 'Sasha Archangel' out of XaeA-12?????????????

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The X gets pronounced like Sa, the AE is a rune or some poo poo that sounds like "ash", and the A-12 refers to the CIA-operated single-seat version of the SR-71 spy plane.

But here's the fun part. Yes, during a short period of its development, the project that would become the A-12 (and later the SR-71) was dubbed "Archangel" by some of the people working on it. But its official CIA codename was Project OXCART.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

A baby named "Project Oxcart" would honestly be more acceptable to me.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Phy posted:

The X gets pronounced like Sa, the AE is a rune or some poo poo that sounds like "ash", and the A-12 refers to the CIA-operated single-seat version of the SR-71 spy plane.

Is that actually true or just the Elon apologists going for full kabbalistic exegesis?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

California only allows the 26 letters of the alphabet, unaccented.

So it's definitely not the kid's real legal name at least, which is good because it means that poor child has something to fall back on when he realizes his parents are morons. Although I guess it might still have Archangel in it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

My favorite part is how they both had different stories about the name's meaning, but Grimes's explanation that AE (i don't give a poo poo that they're supposed to be together; I'm already using the wrong language keyboard and I'm in a bad mood) is her "elven" spelling of either AI or the Japanese word ai is...I mean, gently caress you, lady. On behalf of elves, the Japanese, and robots everywhere.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Runcible Cat posted:

Is that actually true or just the Elon apologists going for full kabbalistic exegesis?

I think it's 60% kabbalists 40% real, the grimes tweet in question

https://twitter.com/Grimezsz/status/1257836061520101377?s=20

so it looks like "Archangel" was intended, but when I think of the kid (which will be never), I will think of them as Zay Oxcart

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

THANK YOU, MODS

e: I keep calling him Timmy Musk and thinking about how it is a good name for a lumberjack.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I'm naming my next child entirely in emoji and weird unicode symbols, with a touch of Zalgo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Didn't she change her name to c?

(Not the letter the symbol for the speed of light.)

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Stoatbringer posted:

I'm naming my next child entirely in emoji and weird unicode symbols, with a touch of Zalgo.

hi my name is Fred but in Wingdings

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My favorite part is how they both had different stories about the name's meaning, but Grimes's explanation that AE (i don't give a poo poo that they're supposed to be together; I'm already using the wrong language keyboard and I'm in a bad mood) is her "elven" spelling of either AI or the Japanese word ai is...I mean, gently caress you, lady. On behalf of elves, the Japanese, and robots everywhere.

And I presume especially Japanese robot elves.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

THANK YOU, MODS

e: I keep calling him Timmy Musk and thinking about how it is a good name for a lumberjack.

And Timmy loving Died

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

this thread leaked into the AUG thread, raise your hand if you were born in the late 70s/early 80s and your school class had three or more Jennifers or Elizabeths

bonus points if you are one

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Hi, late-80's Jennifer checking in. Never fewer than 3 of us in any given classroom.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

TheKennedys posted:

this thread leaked into the AUG thread, raise your hand if you were born in the late 70s/early 80s and your school class had three or more Jennifers or Elizabeths

I was born in 79 and have known more Jennifers my age than I can remember. There were also a shitton of Michaels and Melissas.

Only one Elizabeth, though.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

TheKennedys posted:

I'm from a town with roughly 6,000 people (back in the day, it's bigger now) and every year I had, like, two Jennifers, two Kevins, at least one Elizabeth, and usually a Mike or a Josh in my class. Also frequently a Karen and a couple of Steves.

It's not any different in Europe, it seems. Last year, I had ten students in my class. Six were boys. Two were Guillem and one was Guillermo.

E: just asked my partner, who grew up in a big city on the opposite side of the country: three Jennifers and two Elizabeths per class.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Hell, I know so many Mikes and Joshes (also James and William but that's hardly new) to this day that most of them have been given weird nicknames or get called by last names. Jason also seems like one of those super 80s names that I ran across a ton of in school, but my OB/GYN is at least 50 and called Jason, which is very weird to me

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

TheKennedys posted:

Hell, I know so many Mikes and Joshes (also James and William but that's hardly new) to this day that most of them have been given weird nicknames or get called by last names. Jason also seems like one of those super 80s names that I ran across a ton of in school, but my OB/GYN is at least 50 and called Jason, which is very weird to me

Hi, I've never posted in this thread, but just wanted to say that my niece's name is Kennedy.
That is all.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Hi, I've never posted in this thread, but just wanted to say that my niece's name is Kennedy.
That is all.

I know most people would associate this with JFK or w/e but honestly it just makes me think of that one MTV vj.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheKennedys posted:

My dorm floor my freshman year of college had ~35 people and 7 were named Mike. Lots of weird alternative names. I think one still goes by Seamus to this day.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My first year in college (2005), I lived on an all girls' floor. Out of ten girls, three were named Amanda.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's not any different in Europe, it seems. Last year, I had ten students in my class. Six were boys. Two were Guillem and one was Guillermo.

That is true. Some names here in Flanders are perennial, like Jan or Marie, but others a very much a generational thing. Over here, if your name is something like Luc, André or Rita, there's a 95% chance you were born in the '50s or '60s. I have a name like that as well, which is an incredibly obvious '80s name. In the maternity ward, there were two other newborns with my first name! The upside of this is that it's a little harder to find information about me if you don't really know me because my last name is also fairly common in Belgium and the Netherlands. One of my namesakes is a CEO and another one is a lowkey prime athlete, so that muddles the search results quite a bit.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My first year in college (2005), I lived on an all girls' floor. Out of ten girls, three were named Amanda.

Heh. I have one American ex-girlfriend, and that was her name, too.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

The Mighty Moltres posted:

That is all.

I actually know two women called Kennedy; both under 25, bisexual, and smoke a shitton of weed, and one goes by Dragon. good and/or potentially bad news about your niece :v:

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't tell what would possibly be bad about any of that. Dragon is pretty much the coolest nickname ever.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pope Hilarius II posted:

That is true. Some names here in Flanders are perennial, like Jan or Marie, but others a very much a generational thing. Over here, if your name is something like Luc, André or Rita, there's a 95% chance you were born in the '50s or '60s. I have a name like that as well, which is an incredibly obvious '80s name. In the maternity ward, there were two other newborns with my first name! The upside of this is that it's a little harder to find information about me if you don't really know me because my last name is also fairly common in Belgium and the Netherlands. One of my namesakes is a CEO and another one is a lowkey prime athlete, so that muddles the search results quite a bit.

Heh. I have one American ex-girlfriend, and that was her name, too.

My parents were both born in the 1950's. My dad sometimes talks about how half the boys in his class were called Marc/k or Dirk.
For women born in the 60's, Hilde was definitely a fashionable name. When I hear that name, I just immediately think of a respectable middle-aged woman and nothing else.

The weirdest thing to me is that some of the old-timey French names are becoming hip again, like Louis (spelled in various ways). I don't have a problem with that name, but before it became popular I would have associated it with my grandparents' generation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Louis-Lous couchez avec Luis, ce soir?

Voulez-vous, oh no no no, me gotta go, oh no
Voulez-voud, oh baby, me gotta go

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of common names for our year (82 in this case), my wife is a Heather and they seem particular common in her age range. Same for my sister (born 84), who was almost named Megan, but then my parents noticed that three other people they knew had named their girls the same. We moved to a different state and my sister still had three friends named Megan.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

You have me thinking about my classmates in elementary school in the '80s.

Josh was very popular. There were a couple of Jasons. The Tylers were a grade or two below me. The boys varied more than the girls. Amanda, Kimberly, Jennifer, Jessica, a couple of Tanyas/Tonyas. There were almost as many Kimberlys as Jennifers.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I'm an Amanda of roughly the same age and can confirm there's a swarm of us. Apparently it was the 3rd most popular female name of the '80's?

My dad insists to this day that he'd never met anyone named Amanda and thought it would be an interesting and unusual name. This is hilarious to me because his parents gave the same justification for his name, which was also very common in his birth year. Clearly it's an inter-generational curse and if I have a kid, no matter how strange the name we pick out is, there are always going to be three others with the same name in her class.

Now I'm reminded of the year in elementary school where we had an Aaron, an Aron, and an Erin in the same class. It wasn't that big a school, but seriously, nobody could split that block up into different classes?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

You have me thinking about my classmates in elementary school in the '80s.

Josh was very popular. There were a couple of Jasons. The Tylers were a grade or two below me. The boys varied more than the girls. Amanda, Kimberly, Jennifer, Jessica, a couple of Tanyas/Tonyas. There were almost as many Kimberlys as Jennifers.

I don't know a single Tanya/Tonya offhand, it always seemed "older" than me. Jessica, Heather, definitely Me(a)g(h)an, Tiffany, Michelle, Melissa. The ubiquitous Amandas seemed younger than me though. I know three Heathers within two years of my age and almost none younger, cf. Tiffany. I don't think guys' names are as prone to trends as girls', though, a lot of classic ones have been solid for a lot of years. Obviously Aiden and its myriad cousins have been a big counter to that theory lately.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh, and there are so many "Ashly"s of different spellings in my office that they all have to go by their last names even though we're all on a first name basis.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Antivehicular posted:

My dad insists to this day that he'd never met anyone named Amanda and thought it would be an interesting and unusual name. This is hilarious to me because his parents gave the same justification for his name, which was also very common in his birth year. Clearly it's an inter-generational curse and if I have a kid, no matter how strange the name we pick out is, there are always going to be three others with the same name in her class.

My parents say the same thing about my name--"it was so unusual, we didn't know anyone else who had it!" There were 3 other kids with the same name in my 1st grade class alone.

So they thought, gently caress it, and decided to give my sister a variation of a popular name, hoping there wouldn't be too many in her grade (think Krista instead of Kristen). Guess which name she gets called all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
One year in elementary school we had three Kevins in my class. Two had the same last initial. Can't remember what the third was. I somehow was never in a class with anyone else that had the same name, as far as I can recall, despite mine being very common. Other people in the school, sure, but thankfully not the same classroom. I had enough trouble growing up with a sister that shares my initials and getting called weird amalgamations of both our names all the time.

One of my jobs had four different Davids in various management roles through the three-ish years I was there. I always refer to them as "the council of Daves". One of them got sacked pretty early on, but I still use the other three as professional references and it always makes me wonder what recruiters are thinking when they see something like that on a resume. Like, "three Davids all from the same business? This must be legit.." :jerkbag:

Thankfully I have other people I can list as references now but I still keep the council of Daves on there for old times' sake.