Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
at some point today someone itt linked the podcast this week in virology and idk who it was but thank you

it's sick to listen to subject matter experts talk conversationally about this poo poo. makes it a lot less impenetrable as a lay person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
i'm not going back to the office before its safe i make jack poo poo and they can eat my whole rear end i will literally die in the woods with my beans first

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
ahahahah i just read that article about 66% of cases were "at home", ahahahaha it was 66% of hospitalizations were unemployed or retired ahahahahahahah god i hate these articles

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

https://imgur.com/a/FlqG8SN

friend in Wuhan sent me this video of a McDonald’s. I removed the audio so you don’t hear him talking. he told me that places aren’t running A/C so it’s hot as poo poo everywhere. to go anywhere you have to use Alibaba’s contact tracing app. more details about the app: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/business/china-coronavirus-surveillance.html)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

aliens are real but viruses are the great filter, somewhere on a planet far away chud aliens are holding rallies demanding they be allowed to go to alien Applebee's

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

wilderthanmild posted:

Edit: they are likely fudging numbers, as their restriction is very loving shady. I'm just thinking it's more benign "Oh, heart attack and covid. DOESN'T COUNT"

- it takes time for death certs to get filed and tallied by NCHS, I've been watching this data for a while and the numbers for past weeks have been increasing steadily.
- chuds have been making the argument "died WITH covid vs died OF covid" since early on
- deaths from all causes are ramping up dramatically, nationwide deaths for 4/5 to 4/11 was up 25% (!) even with many states obviously with very sketchy data (NC at 49%, CN for example is only at 21% of expected, what the gently caress is going on there) and death certs are still being tallied

like I've been saying, uncategorized deaths compared to historical average is going to be the only remotely trustworthy number and even then a lot of states are obviously loving around with that data

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

shovelbum posted:

ahahahah i just read that article about 66% of cases were "at home", ahahahaha it was 66% of hospitalizations were unemployed or retired ahahahahahahah god i hate these articles

obviously at home means you're not commuting to work :goonsay:

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
hmm i should go to the grocery store tomorrow

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thesaurus posted:

It kinda owns to think about just how completely shameless these people are

shes right
only cspam’s hands are clean in all this

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

power word- Jeb! posted:

yeah why not ur low risk gently caress it, ur not saving any chuds lives at this point

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

power word- Jeb! posted:

i'm at the grocery store rn, touching the beans

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Taking a cursory look at the accounts pushing reopen now on reddit and as recently as a month ago their message was to push the narrative that this was a chinese bioweapon and they deliberately downplayed its severity

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

FREEDOM
IS
NOT
FREE

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Flesh Forge posted:

- it takes time for death certs to get filed and tallied by NCHS, I've been watching this data for a while and the numbers for past weeks have been increasing steadily.
- chuds have been making the argument "died WITH covid vs died OF covid" since early on
- deaths from all causes are ramping up dramatically, nationwide deaths for 4/5 to 4/11 was up 25% (!) even with many states obviously with very sketchy data (NC at 49%, CN for example is only at 21% of expected, what the gently caress is going on there) and death certs are still being tallied

like I've been saying, uncategorized deaths compared to historical average is going to be the only remotely trustworthy number and even then a lot of states are obviously loving around with that data

let's just add that the lockdown is stopping a lot of other causes of death here (car crashes, etc) so even that is gonna be an underestimate of covid numbers

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
let's check in on the national paper of record

ah yes, the logical mind of president dorngald jay trombus, rationally considering the positive and negative consequences of re-opening the nation before arriving at a balanced decision

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Just just an incredible list of stuff that Americans are willing to shoot and get shot for.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the president is expected to have better information than the vox social media guy

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

eric ciaramella posted:

the president is expected to have better information than the vox social media guy

perhaps this is a little far-fetched but here me out: could the president be a social media guy?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Apraxin posted:

let's check in on the national paper of record

ah yes, the logical mind of president dorngald jay trombus, rationally considering the positive and negative consequences of re-opening the nation before arriving at a balanced decision

of course, even forcing reopening will not stop the economic apocalypse because only the dumbest chud morons are going to actually go to places that reopen but that will be more than enough to cause an almost unfathomable number of deaths so what we've done is make sure that both the deaths and the economic consequences are absolutely as bad as they can possibly be. I for drat sure am not going shopping to any store that reopens in the next entire year, if I can't order it online I probably don't need it. if I do it'll be a paranoid, quick trip in and out to get exactly what i need and nothing more. the economy is not going to recover or grow until covid 19 is contained, no matter what

Serf
May 5, 2011

aliens are real and have visited earth and kept on driving

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

How can that be possible? What if this really does go on to infect 40-70% of the population as projected?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aliens are angels for nerds

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

empty whippet box posted:

of course, even forcing reopening will not stop the economic apocalypse because only the dumbest chud morons are going to actually go to places that reopen but that will be more than enough to cause an almost unfathomable number of deaths so what we've done is make sure that both the deaths and the economic consequences are absolutely as bad as they can possibly be. I for drat sure am not going shopping to any store that reopens in the next entire year, if I can't order it online I probably don't need it. if I do it'll be a paranoid, quick trip in and out to get exactly what i need and nothing more. the economy is not going to recover or grow until covid 19 is contained, no matter what

the really interesting thing is that there is no plan B at all. there is no plan for when there are 200,000 cases/ day and people hole up again back at home.

Charlz Guybon posted:

How can that be possible? What if this really does go on to infect 40-70% of the population as projected?

The 40-70% figure would be cataclysmic for the nation. The number of deaths would be the equivalent of 1-3 million people. No nation state can survive losing that many people in the next year.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this is loving awesome

this is hosed up poo poo

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

neutral milf hotel posted:

this is hosed up poo poo

It's absolutely on brand for america.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

the really interesting thing is that there is no plan B at all. there is no plan for when there are 200,000 cases/ day and people hole up again back at home.

The 40-70% figure would be cataclysmic for the nation. The number of deaths would be the equivalent of 1-3 million people. No nation state can survive losing that many people in the next year.

the nation voted for pain

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1258210843038224391

i saw this and started screaming like someone shot me

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

Sure sure

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

it's cool that we wasted the past 2 months sitting around inside only for the absolute worst boomer scum to render it all worthless

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

chuds will force us all to go to applebees

sitting there eating my applebees burger, angry, but can't leave because bikers for trump block the exit

'you look like you could have another burger, sit down'

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farm Frenzy posted:

Farm Frenzy posted:

LOL!! Hahahaha

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's cool that we wasted the past 2 months sitting around inside only for the absolute worst boomer scum to render it all worthless

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Businesses with mostly chud patrons will thrive, those with mostly dem patrons will either court the chud redcap dollar or perish, people will be bored of it and once they see the chuds are mostly fine (not falling down dead in public) they will be lulled into enough security to consume at normal rates. 10,000 people or whatever will die a day and no one will care because it will be mostly the old or the sick or the poor and death in America happens far from the public eye. It will be seen as a shameful but unavoidable condition of poverty and institutions, like tuberculosis, and by August people will be joking about it like SARS or swine flu even while it continues to kill tens or hundreds of thousands all the time. Death is a very behind the scenes thing in America because of privacy laws and our deep-rooted cultural disdain for weakness/losing, so it will never again be in the public eye like the NYC outbreak was. It doesn't kill enough of the workforce to cause many major disruptions once the meatpackers are immune, and the economy will struggle along in a depression caused by the mere shock of our lovely lockdown and kleptocratic stimulus until we manage to manufacture consent for a proxy war with China and then everyone will rally around the flag and the whole business will be put behind us forever. Deaths at 2000/day will remain constant forever.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

BrokenGameboy posted:

Taste wise, when I've had them. They're very nutty tasting. Obviously there's a crunch, but there's no weird mouth feel like you'd think.

Man I really want some spicy chapulín tacos with lime now.

I had those at a place here and it was like licking the rim of a margarita in a tortilla. Way too much salt.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
#whocare “This is fine.”

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

What blows my goddamn mind is that my life has literally not changed at all during all of this, save the fact that my usual disgust for gelatinous shoppers at the grocery and hardware store is now embodied physically in the form of a mask. What in the gently caress are people shopping for? What does it make them feel?

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Here is what I think the endgame will be: with further economic collapse and turmoil it will be basically evident that containment is the only way it will stop. Containment is the only way to stop any pandemic. We can use the example of ebola. Imagine the absurdity of west african leaders making speeches about the need to attain herd immunity for a virus that kills 30% of people, let alone one even more infectious that will likely kill 0.5-1% of people in a western country.

The methods used to contain an epidemic early on are humane and rational, like whisking people to central quarantine in vietnam and feeding them fresh foods and monitoring their vitals for any dip. The more you drag it out the more draconian the measures get as institutions start breaking down. In the end once civilian government is entirely discredited it will be someone else (maybe military, maybe a competent strongman who grabs the reins) that will start containing the spread. At that point it will devolve into holding walking virus factories (infectious people) in large camps until they aren't infectious anymore or they get sicker and die.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

Taking a cursory look at the accounts pushing reopen now on reddit and as recently as a month ago their message was to push the narrative that this was a chinese bioweapon and they deliberately downplayed its severity

Next step is to combine the narratives:

it's time to show CHINA that we are NOT AFRAID of their cowardly and underhanded bioweapon! REOPEN NOW and show China what AMERICANS are made of!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just just an incredible list of stuff that Americans are willing to shoot and get shot for.

You know a lot of people who get shot don't actually consent to it.

I for drat sure am not going shopping to any store that reopens in the next entire year, if I can't order it online I probably don't need it. if I do it'll be a paranoid, quick trip in and out to get exactly what i need and nothing more. the economy is not going to recover or grow until covid 19 is contained, no matter what

Grow some beans, learn to whittle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
like all this breathless talk of institutions breaking down and balkanization over something you can just shuffle under the rug and ignore forever like a litany of other atrocities we havent fixed since 1776