Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eastbound Spider posted:

the achivement was called "Growing Up" lmao

Yep. That DLC stopped my playthrough of Odyssey in its tracks and I haven't touched the game since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ancient Greece was extremely misogynistic it's just historical accuracy sheesh.

The game really tones it down to be honest.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Yep. That DLC stopped my playthrough of Odyssey in its tracks and I haven't touched the game since.

Didn't they fix that in a patch later?

It was pretty ridiculously blatant though, I can't imagine why they thought that would be a good idea to have as a forced plot point!

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Ancient Greece was extremely misogynistic it's just historical accuracy sheesh.

The game really tones it down to be honest.

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell anymore this quarantine has made me even want to play andromeda

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

It was pretty ridiculously blatant though, I can't imagine why they thought that would be a good idea to have as a forced plot point!

They "fixed" it by renaming the achievement and adding a dialogue option to say that you married the guy and had a baby with him because of your magic bloodlines for eugenics.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I mean if AC: Odyssey was being historically accurate Alexios/Kassandra's relationship with Markos would have been... considerably weirder.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Eastbound Spider posted:

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell anymore this quarantine has made me even want to play andromeda

Ancient greeks literally thought women were a lower lifeform compared to men.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The first DLC for Odyssey is dumb and bad but to me that doesn't "taint" the other 95% of the game which aren't affected by the DLC at all, as long as you can ignore/skip/not install the bad expansion content.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

They edited parts of it (some cutscene changes, some changes to dialogue options and the achievement has a different name now, I think) but no, the core issues are not fixed because the DLC's asinine premise is "MUST PRESERVE BLOOD LINE".

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Mymla posted:

Ancient greeks literally thought women were a lower lifeform compared to men.

Yeah, but you don't need all that in your fantasy video game

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I only ever played the first few AC games but isn't the whole premise that you're viewing your ancestors past? As tone deaf as they did it, isn't it sort of a given that they'd have a kid at some point?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ekusukariba posted:

I only ever played the first few AC games but isn't the whole premise that you're viewing your ancestors past? As tone deaf as they did it, isn't it sort of a given that they'd have a kid at some point?

Not in Odyssey. Odyssey is instead using blood traces on the central macguffin of the game - that's the justification for letting you play as either gender, there's two peoples' blood preserved on the weapon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The evil corporation in game figured out how to get around that limitation. Now instead of capturing the heroes they just freeze dry them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ironically, it's my understanding that's exactly the justification they used for it being necessary though

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm honestly mad at everyone who pitched a fit about the Kassandra romance because I vaguely heard about something like that so I picked Alexios and now his voice actor isn't as good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm honestly mad at everyone who pitched a fit about the Kassandra romance because I vaguely heard about something like that so I picked Alexios and now his voice actor isn't as good.

Alexios is forced to marry a lady and have a baby with her in that same DLC, by the way.

Did you buy the game in part because of Ubisoft's advertising to the LGBT community about how you would never be forced into any romantic or sexual thing in the game and could play as gay or bi or straight or asexual as you prefer? Too bad, it's mandatory heterosexual marriage and baby for you.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 2, 2020

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

They "fixed" it by renaming the achievement and adding a dialogue option to say that you married the guy and had a baby with him because of your magic bloodlines for eugenics.

Ugh lame, that's such a disappointment

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Alexios is forced to marry a lady and have a baby with her in that same DLC, by the way.

Did you buy the game in part because of Ubisoft's advertising to the LGBT community about how you would never be forced into any romantic or sexual thing in the game and could play as gay or bi or straight or asexual as you prefer? Too bad, it's mandatory heterosexual marriage and baby for you.

Weren't you the guy who kept trying to start arguments about Christianity in mass effect?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

Weren't you the guy who kept trying to start arguments about Christianity in mass effect?

Wouldn't be the weirdest thing I haven't done that people have accused me of, but after checking my post history the only time I've said anything about Christianity in this thread was commenting that Suvi does quote a number of Christian thinkers about reconciling her faith and pursuit of science and appreciating that attention to detail.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
what would be the weirdest thing you haven’t done that people accuse you of

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it was fun being all smug reddit atheist to Ashley about her religion

moments before sending her off to die on Virmire

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Never played the dlc. :shrug:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/M_MaR_cHe_E/status/1258226374956859393?s=20

It's happening?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oof, I forgot the creepy fish face that Ash had in that trailer.

That's often my go-to adjective for RPG faces, I've noticed. Fallout, Dragon Age, you name it. It must be the glassy dead eyed stares and the weird lip movements.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WHatever excuse I need to play ME3 multiplayer again

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe they'll rebuild Thessia and Palaven :pray:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
If it bundles all of the DLC for every game I would pay $40USD for all three remastered in one package.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If it bundles all of the DLC for every game I would pay $40USD for all three remastered in one package.

Agreed. I've been kind of wanting to replay them to be honest, even with all the flaws there's nothing really out there that's similar as far as I can tell

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I wonder if they will go the extra mile and try to fix the gameplay in Mass Effect 1 to be similar to Mass Effect 2/3. At least give us a sell all button/something to make all the weird rear end inventory management easier in 1.

I would love a return to the Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer through with better graphics.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BexGu posted:

I wonder if they will go the extra mile and try to fix the gameplay in Mass Effect 1 to be similar to Mass Effect 2/3. At least give us a sell all button/something to make all the weird rear end inventory management easier in 1.

I would love a return to the Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer through with better graphics.

Yeah it'll be kind of weird to have gussied up graphics for ME1 but a completely different gameplay style. I hope they update it but of course I'll buy it even if they don't (I'm guessing they won't, it sounds like a lot of work for something that everyone who's interested in is gonna buy anyway)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even if they fixed nothing else an "omni-gel all" option would go a long way.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Agreed. I've been kind of wanting to replay them to be honest, even with all the flaws there's nothing really out there that's similar as far as I can tell

I'm only a couple hours into it, but Fallen Order is a Good Game so far...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
ME3 gameplay in ME1 Is very unlikely. It would be too much work. Consider how much time would have to go into just playtesting vanguard to make sure the teleport isn't glitchy within that game's much more open maps. I would love to be wrong, but I doubt it.

Still, there are a lot of small things that could be tweaked for substantial quality of life improvements. Don't know if EA has done that with any of its prior remasters, though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lmao they're not going to throw good money after bad when andromeda flopped and anthem burned out 2 months into its intended 10 year lifecycle and remake mass effect 1, they're going to slap some "high resolution" textures in there, bundle it up with the other 3, and re-release it on modern consoles to turn a quick buck

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 7, 2020

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rinkles posted:

Still, there are a lot of small things that could be tweaked for substantial quality of life improvements. Don't know if EA has done that with any of its prior remasters, though.

I know one thing they could definitely tweak near around the 40-hour mark of a standard ME3 playthrough

they won't but could you imagine, lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

I know one thing they could definitely tweak near around the 40-hour mark of a standard ME3 playthrough

they won't but could you imagine, lol

People have posted endless amounts of words about how to fix the ending, but what would be the lowest effort thing they could do to fix it I wonder?

Remove green, maybe make the option you get and it's success based on fleet power including adding a bad end for not getting enough? Add a quest or two before the final assault on a existing map that locks you into one of the endings maybe so it feels like you actually did something?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Elvis_Maximus posted:

People have posted endless amounts of words about how to fix the ending, but what would be the lowest effort thing they could do to fix it I wonder?

Remove green, maybe make the option you get and it's success based on fleet power including adding a bad end for not getting enough? Add a quest or two before the final assault on a existing map that locks you into one of the endings maybe so it feels like you actually did something?

something like that yeah

arguably they could remove blue AND green AND the starchild, have Shepard hit a button or something after Anderson dies, and then have everything proceed based on your fleet power.

then add a slideshow epilogue like they did in Inquisition

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Cowcaster posted:

lmao they're not going to throw good money after bad when andromeda flopped and anthem burned out 2 months into its intended 10 year lifecycle and remake mass effect 1, they're going to slap some "high resolution" textures in there, bundle it up with the other 3, and re-release it on modern consoles to turn a quick buck

hello nurse

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Shepherd fights the Illusive Man, hits the button on the console, sits down, fades out. In the original game, there's a radio call that comes in saying 'it's not working!' and Jennifer Hale delivers a really, to me, heart-ripping 'What do you need me to do?' type line as if she's literally shaking off death itself because, dammit, Shepherd helps people. Then that leads into the star kid bullshit, as I recall.

So, just leave it at that. Instead, the radio call comes in that it's working. Repeated over and over again. No answer. Scene switches to the flagship bridge. No response from Shepherd. Ok, alert the Normandy to attempt to make pickup on the Citadel. Meanwhile, we can't waste what Shepherd's given us.

Then, a series of clips of battle; if you recruited or acquired a specific war asset, it gets shown off. I want to see those tank-cannon-carrying Elcor motherfuckers. Teams of Asari commandos assaulting reaper ships. A bunch of nerds on a ship with an old artifact wired up to a computer, and it's starts glowing as a reaper gets near, and they shout "Sir, we've got it! We've got enough sensor data! Reconfigure the shields to blah blah technoshit!" Give me a shot of a Turian dreadnaught, and the Captain calmly opens an intercom channel. "Gunnery chief, calibration status?" "All calibrations complete, sir!" "Excellent. Open fire!"

Meanwhile, the Normandy is threading it's way through the battle, heading for the Citadel.

Then, depending on your war score, you've got a few possibilities.

Really low? The fleet just gets it's rear end kicked, a reaper docks with the Citadel, it starts glowing red and evil, it's a problem. We get a monologue about how because the galaxy didn't come together, the Reapers weren't even slowed down, and with full control over the Mass Relay network, they make short work of the galaxy.

Low? The fleet gets it's rear end kicked, the fleet sees the reaper heading for the Citadel, blows up the Citadel itself, and we get some sort of monologue about individual systems holding out as long as they can, but ultimately, the cycle repeats. Maybe the next group of sentients will have their own Shepherd, and maybe this time, they'll heed the warnings.

Moderate? The fleet and the reapers smash each other to bits. Citadel destroyed. Monologue about the cycle ending, but centuries of unending warfare that will probably lead to both reapers and sentients dying out. Tragic shots of things like children going through basic training.

High? The combined fleets carry the day. The Normandy makes it to the Citadel. They recover Shepherd's corpse. We get a funeral scene, a monologue about how the galaxy was able, by and large, to put aside their differences, and will always remember how Shepherd broke the cycle. Maybe I'd want to see a new ship heading off for mop-up operations, and as it flies majestically by, we see that's named the SSV Shepherd or something.

Very high? The combined fleets absolutely clown on the reapers. The Normandy makes it to the Citadel, and recovers a still-living Shepherd. We get a monologue about how the Reapers got, well, absolutely clowned on once the various races all pulled together. Scenes of victories, riffing on classic war photography and video, interspersed with shots of Shepherd going through medical treatment, getting congratulated by the brass, gladhanded by politicians, and so on. Finally, some sort of big ceremony where Shepherd is going to get publicly granted the key to the galaxy or whatever. Shot of Shep in a wheelchair waiting off-stage. Joker wanders up, they banter a bit, Joker says 'Is this really what you want, Commander? I'm parked out back, you know.' Shot on stage, 'and therefore I wish to present to you, the savoir of the galaxy, the first human specter, Commander Shepherd!' clap clap clap, no Shep. Everybody's confused. They look over. Empty wheel chair. The Normandy rises up in the background, and fucks off. New adventures await.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You know all you guys or gals with these epic fantasies about good Mass Effect 3 endings probably could have just gotten hired at Bioware and made Mass Effect 4 not suck rear end, given their staff turnover and the fact they wound up hiring a bunch of idiot fans who couldn't write for poo poo between 3 and Andromeda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Elvis_Maximus posted:

maybe make the option you get and it's success based on fleet power including adding a bad end for not getting enough?

this is already in the game