Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Today I went on my monthly trip to the pharmacy (one of my prescriptions can't be mailed so I had to pick them up in person). My state requires masks in grocery stores so everyone was wearing a mask and most people were wearing gloves, which is nice and how it should be during a pandemic. Unfortunately they were out of stuff like rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer so the trip was otherwise kinda lame aside from my meds.

And meanwhile there are people getting shot for daring to ask someone to put a mask on. :(

My mom was talking to an extended family member on the phone and had all the conspiracy talking points lol - oh it's just bad allergies, you haven't actually seen anyone die so is it even real etc etc. For a lot of people this will only be real if someone close to them gets hospitalized or dies. Even then it most likely won't be a wake up call.

I have nowhere to be even if I decided to stop self-isolating so I'm good for a while, and I'm pretty much an agoraphobic sadbrains at the best of times, but it feels terrible that so many people like my family are doing their best to quarantine/distance and America is just throwing it all out for stock number. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

California has 39.5 million people. Can there really be 500k people in California working in the hair and beauty industry? That's seems like a mind breakingly huge number.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Turns out the only reason people cared about 9/11 was because some buildings fell over in NYC.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Turns out the only reason people cared about 9/11 was because some buildings fell over in NYC.

It was racism OP. If some Irish lads had flown those planes poo poo would have been over in a weeks time.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

also it let them lean into violent white supremacy really hard

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

actually all chuds n government peep loathe NYC and want everyone in it to die and angry that nyc sucks up all their imaginary tax dollars

the only reason people cared about 9/11 is because they could blame it on and bomb brown people for funsies onesies

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

rip "bro"

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I told u

I need mcchicken

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

rip with a medium fry

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Charlz Guybon posted:

California has 39.5 million people. Can there really be 500k people in California working in the hair and beauty industry? That's seems like a mind breakingly huge number.

i have a greatclips hairstylist on retainer

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

how am I supposed to nuke a virus' rear end and take its gas?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

thousands dying following the proclamations of Larry the Cable guy
https://twitter.com/GitRDoneLarry/status/1258198377503821827?s=20

George Washington instituted a pretty draconian quarantine over smallpox. I don't think the Founders who wrote the bill of rights would be sympathetic to your plight.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Ma'am this is a Wendy's

*gets shot*

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

the really interesting thing is that there is no plan B at all. there is no plan for when there are 200,000 cases/ day and people hole up again back at home.

The 40-70% figure would be cataclysmic for the nation. The number of deaths would be the equivalent of 1-3 million people. No nation state can survive losing that many people in the next year.

Plenty of nation states have lost way bigger percentages to plague, natural disaster or war and kept on trucking.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Charlz Guybon posted:

George Washington instituted a pretty draconian quarantine over smallpox. I don't think the Founders who wrote the bill of rights would be sympathetic to your plight.

You commie son of a bitch george washington would have told you to get er done and get back to work! Got drat chinese virus giving us the shanghai shivers what fer we cant go to mcdonalds like a normal human being with diginity and rigths and freedoms it makes me sick! The storm is coming, ben franklin would assure you of that.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

shovelbum posted:

Businesses with mostly chud patrons will thrive, those with mostly dem patrons will either court the chud redcap dollar or perish, people will be bored of it and once they see the chuds are mostly fine (not falling down dead in public) they will be lulled into enough security to consume at normal rates. 10,000 people or whatever will die a day and no one will care because it will be mostly the old or the sick or the poor and death in America happens far from the public eye. It will be seen as a shameful but unavoidable condition of poverty and institutions, like tuberculosis, and by August people will be joking about it like SARS or swine flu even while it continues to kill tens or hundreds of thousands all the time. Death is a very behind the scenes thing in America because of privacy laws and our deep-rooted cultural disdain for weakness/losing, so it will never again be in the public eye like the NYC outbreak was. It doesn't kill enough of the workforce to cause many major disruptions once the meatpackers are immune, and the economy will struggle along in a depression caused by the mere shock of our lovely lockdown and kleptocratic stimulus until we manage to manufacture consent for a proxy war with China and then everyone will rally around the flag and the whole business will be put behind us forever. Deaths at 2000/day will remain constant forever.

Viral epidemics don't stay confined to subgroups, they spread throughout the whole population and there is no effective cure. Tons of upper class white people are going to get it and die.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Popular news stories in Oklahoma looking good

Anticipating a lot of Oklahoma Bathroom Death

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

is there any merit to those "low low CFR" studies with antibodies and stuff or was it all just bullshit to consent manufacture the reopening?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
We live in the Dumbest Timeline

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

plz don't give me your doomsaying bernie bros I am not here for FAKE NEWS

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol if you fuken think i would tell them there's a pandemic, I would cough on their asses. eat covid b*tch

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Marzzle posted:

is there any merit to those "low low CFR" studies with antibodies and stuff or was it all just bullshit to consent manufacture the reopening?

If you do antibody studies in a place with a low overall infection percentage your tests have to have really good specificity or else you can't find any signal in the noise of false positives. Those bad studies were both done in places with low infection rates with tests that had poor specificity so they were garbage.

The best US antibody study came out of NYC and indicated that about 20% of the population had been affected. At the time of the study, about 0.2% of the population of NYC had died of covid, so the infection fatality rate is somewhere around 1%.

We're pretty sure that for most populations the true infection fatality rate is around 0.5 - 1%. This of course goes up as the population is older, has more blood pressure problems, heart problems, etc....

There was a recent antibody test developed that has extremely good false positive and false negative rates, so we should see better antibody surveys in the near future.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Charlz Guybon posted:

Californians are very ugly

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Now the other part of covid that may end up surprising people is how many of us end up with permanent lung, heart, kidney, liver, or maybe even central nervous system damage. This part I think we have a much less strong understanding of rates and severity.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/TaylorAdams13/status/1258188348755148800?s=20

https://twitter.com/TaylorAdams13/status/1258194289106063361?s=20

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

lol if you fuken think i would tell them there's a pandemic, I would cough on their asses. eat covid b*tch

yeah that's the punchline of this.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

I believe it.

Take just hair cuts. CA has 40 million people, and assume on average ppl get their hair cut every 2 months, so 240 million hair cuts in CA

There’s 40 hours in a work week and let’s say 50 work weeks in a year so 2000 working hours per barber. assuming they’re busy like 3/4 of the time and you get 1500 hours of cutting per barber per year. assuming it takes about 45 min per cut on average that’s 2000 cuts per barber per year. so it takes about 120,000 barbers to cut our hair in CA

then add in all the other work that’s falls under “hair and beauty”

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

From an outside of the US perspective I am not surprised. Aside from Hollywood where every bigshot actor always has a "hairdresser/make-up artist to Mr. X" billed in movie credits, all you have to do is look at Californians. They appear to be the vainest, most artificially beautiful people in the US, anything related to catering to the outward appearance of people must be goldmine jobs over there. Granted the climate and lay of the land supports a fit lifestyle, but still.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I know this poo poo was posted earlier but with less details so let me just

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

love to shoot children bc I'm angry about mcdonalds

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah that's the punchline of this.

Yeah but hes doing it unknowingly/passively. I would start coughing immediately, hammin it up. Then drop the bomb on them. Own their asses, whose the dumbass now.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

how white were the perps and how not-white were the victims

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Charlz Guybon posted:

Plenty of nation states have lost way bigger percentages to plague, natural disaster or war and kept on trucking.
Yeah, the average percentage lost for the Allies of WW1 would be equivalent to 3-4 million dead in the US. The worst casualty rate, that of Serbia, would amount to 55-91 million dead in the US. Given world wide deaths from the Spanish Flu, the average percentage lost would be equivalent to 3-9 million dead Americans. States can truck through a lot of death.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Now the other part of covid that may end up surprising people is how many of us end up with permanent lung, heart, kidney, liver, or maybe even central nervous system damage. This part I think we have a much less strong understanding of rates and severity.

This part is more horrifying to me than the fatality rate, but nobody ever talks about it. I already have permanently reduced lung capacity, and let me tell you it is not fun times

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

snoo posted:

love to shoot children bc I'm angry about mcdonalds
Those kids are foot soldiers for the evil empire and I don't mean the McDonald's corporation or anything, but rather vague, shadowy government forces.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

:filez:

nite nite

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

the nervous system stuff is real bad. imagine another generation as brain damaged as boomers ended up being

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Marzzle posted:

aside from the technical problems with the antibody tests, the most obvious indicator the "low CFR" theory is wrong is when large batches of people get it at the same time and die at the same time. also the abnormally higher rate of death from all causes, although that's easier to argue with, but obviously something is making a lot of extra people die.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Clocks posted:

Today I went on my monthly trip to the pharmacy (one of my prescriptions can't be mailed so I had to pick them up in person). My state requires masks in grocery stores so everyone was wearing a mask and most people were wearing gloves, which is nice and how it should be during a pandemic. Unfortunately they were out of stuff like rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer so the trip was otherwise kinda lame aside from my meds.

And meanwhile there are people getting shot for daring to ask someone to put a mask on. :(

My mom was talking to an extended family member on the phone and had all the conspiracy talking points lol - oh it's just bad allergies, you haven't actually seen anyone die so is it even real etc etc. For a lot of people this will only be real if someone close to them gets hospitalized or dies. Even then it most likely won't be a wake up call.

I have nowhere to be even if I decided to stop self-isolating so I'm good for a while, and I'm pretty much an agoraphobic sadbrains at the best of times, but it feels terrible that so many people like my family are doing their best to quarantine/distance and America is just throwing it all out for stock number. :downs:

what loving fairytale land are you in? my loving state requires masks in stores and all the loving dumbass boomer idiot gently caress chuds just took it as a challenge to kill themselves and their entire family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

just gonna take a wild guess that this was an act of white supremacist violence