Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Been working on this the last few weeks, which seems important but isn't getting reported anywhere:

https://dpglaw.co.uk/high-court-rul...ronment-policy/

e:

Germanium has an atomic weight of 32.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
some possible good news from michael rosen's daughter

https://twitter.com/Underthecranes/status/1258349109276299265?s=20

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

Been working on this the last few weeks, which seems important but isn't getting reported anywhere:

https://dpglaw.co.uk/high-court-rul...ronment-policy/

It also sounds as if the Home Office have been emptying Yarl's Wood and their other prison camps detention facilities.
Strange how quickly they can act when they want to.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
VL, or Virgin Lips day.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I was on a train coming back from Carlisle last year, some Lads With Cans™️ got on and started introducing themselves to the other passengers around them as the journey went on, one of them said 'This is John, he drives the fake taxi' and a bunch of guys who hadn't been listening suddenly looked up lmao

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
It's painful watching all this play out. As much as this "lockdown" has been half hearted, lifting it is clearly going to get more people killed, and its integrity has been steadily eroded through "journalism" day by day until the public are whipped into a frenzy ready to bombard our more isolated communities when inevitably given the go ahead to be tourists again. It burns my loving arse how dumb this country can be.

Having said that I am of course desparate to go out and do stuff, although all I wanna do is go to Dartmoor for some wild camping in a big empty space so at least that's relatively harmless. When the restrictions get lifted I don't think I'll be going anywhere though for a while, unless I can totally avoid going to a town first and park somewhere more isolated (and safe). I just don't want to add to the tensions that I'm sure these locations are gonna be feeling.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Rather than being overwhelmed by doom some of the unions are seeing significant increase in membership and since their inaction will literally kill their members the bureaucracy is actually reasonably motivated to engage in co-ordinated action to keep schools closed until its safe to reopen and try and get more places closed so even if things are technically open there is the space for organised labour to keep them closed and keep people safe.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I think I’ll keep doing what I’m doing regardless of what happens with the lockdown. I certainly won’t be going anywhere with lots of people.

My partner and I are both key workers so life hasn’t really changed much for us apart from not visiting anyone or going out to places when the weather is nice. Luckily we have a balcony so we can at least enjoy a drink in the sun.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/LLW902/status/1258357790516666368?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

who is kiera bell? some cis woman killed by a trans woman or something?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Communist Thoughts posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51676020

quote:

A 23-year-old woman who is taking legal action against an NHS gender clinic says she should have been challenged more by medical staff over her decision to transition to a male as a teenager.

A judge gave the go-ahead for a full hearing of the case against the Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust.

Lawyers will argue children cannot give informed consent to treatment delaying puberty or helping them to transition.

The Tavistock said it always took a cautious approach to treatment.

Gender identity charity Mermaids said that people face a long wait for access to such services, that they can save lives and that very few people regret their decision.

The clinic based in Hampstead, north-west London, which runs the UK's only gender-identity development service (GIDS), added that it welcomed an examination of the evidence in this contentious area.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Communist Thoughts posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-51693587/i-should-have-been-challenged-on-my-transition

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
You can't beat a nice cup of tea.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I'm just glad I can still enjoy Black Books, written by Dylan Moran all on his own.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

UK eyeing switch to Apple-Google API for coronavirus contacts tracing 

https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/07/uk-eyeing-switch-to-apple-google-api-for-coronavirus-contacts-tracing-report

Tldr: The app doesn't work (as predicted the government's Bluetooth workaround doesn't work) and we're now paying a consultancy £3.8m just to work out how much it's gonna cost to implement the apple/Google solution after all.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
So which cabinet minister's sprog had their finger in the pie of the home made app

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

yaffle posted:

This is violence. :catstare:

Having so many silent screams watching this. Almost as bad as that picture drunken TERF Francis Berber post of her "home-made chicken soup", which looked like the innards of a goddamn septic tank after an extremely bad night on the lash.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 7, 2020

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

yaffle posted:

What is this abomination?

Never has this smile been more appropriate. :britain: I am crying union jack tears.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

This is staggering to be honest. I know people are so beaten down by this point that they just shrug and say it's nothing we didn't know already but it's remarkable that they have the confidence to just say it in public now.

The open statement that the interests of the nation and the interests of Boris Johnson are one and the same.

There is a word for political systems whose institutions hold that view and it is not 'democracy'.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
tang is really good tho. i genuinely think that would be a pretty nice drink, in more of the vein of a hot chocolate without a cocoa base, hrm

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1258345606441041920

I was going to make a joke about how this is why the UK press is so keen to end the lockdown but it actually is one of the big reasons isn't it?

ONS stats here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...20to10april2020

quote:

This provisional analysis has shown that the risk of death involving the coronavirus (COVID-19) among some ethnic groups is significantly higher than that of those of White ethnicity.

When taking into account age in the analysis, Black males are 4.2 times more likely to die from a COVID-19-related death and Black females are 4.3 times more likely than White ethnicity males and females.

People of Bangladeshi and Pakistani, Indian, and Mixed ethnicities also had statistically significant raised risk of death involving COVID-19 compared with those of White ethnicity.

After taking account of age and other socio-demographic characteristics and measures of self-reported health and disability at the 2011 Census, the risk of a COVID-19-related death for males and females of Black ethnicity reduced to 1.9 times more likely than those of White ethnicity.

Similarly, males in the Bangladeshi and Pakistani ethnic group were 1.8 times more likely to have a COVID-19-related death than White males when age and other socio-demographic characteristics and measures of self-reported health and disability were taken into account; for females, the figure was 1.6 times more likely.

These results show that the difference between ethnic groups in COVID-19 mortality is partly a result of socio-economic disadvantage and other circumstances, but a remaining part of the difference has not yet been explained.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cerv posted:

whole interview for those interested

lol that starmers working class backstory of being the son of a toolmaker is proven to be a lie because his dad ran a factory that made tools

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

So which cabinet minister's sprog had their finger in the pie of the home made app

Amazing that they tried going down the route of "we don't need experts" with the people that built the OS environment.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/Orwell_Fan/status/1258337218533502976?s=20

e: I think the thing I hate most about British journalists is them constantly reminding everyone how important their job would be if they actually did it properly, just rubbing our faces in the fact that they are pets

XMNN fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 7, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What would happen if we all just started using Ireland's app instead?

It's fully decentralized, so it's not like it wouldn't work if two people with the app were near one another outside Ireland, unless they've put something in to limit installations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

It's fully decentralized, so it's not like it wouldn't work if two people with the app were near one another outside Ireland, unless they've put something in to limit installations.

I assume they're region locked in the respective app stores so you'd be looking at asking everyone to jailbreak their phones. I know Google have certainly said that they will remove any sideloaded apps that implement the API from people's phones directly (the same way they have malware in the past using Play Protect, which is in every non-rooted android phone from the last ~4 versions)

You also can't trigger an exposure without a code from the national health authority.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/malaiseforever/status/1258370404235829248?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

blunt posted:

I assume they're region locked in the respective app stores so you'd be looking at asking everyone to jailbreak their phones. I know Google have certainly said that they will remove any sideloaded apps that implement the API from people's phones directly (the same way they have malware in the past using Play Protect, which is in every non-rooted android phone from the last ~4 versions)

You also can't trigger an exposure without a code from the national health authority.
It seems a bit odd that in an era where masses of people cross borders every day for work that we're relying on nation-states as the natural unit of pandemic app provision.

Like if it's going to be fully decentralized and privacy focused, and just notifies people who have been near people who have been near people, and you're especially wanting to target people who travel around a lot, that sounds more like something you'd want to do at a supranational level rather than each territorial government, or at least have an agreed upon standard so that France, Germany, and Belgium aren't using completely incompatible apps.

You'd need a way of only allowing registered clinics and health authorities to flag a device as associated with a positive test, which is a pitfall, but it sounds better than having an app that stops working at the border in Ireland.

(Of course it'd be fun to see the reactions of the conspiracy lot to a WHO/EU superapp.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

I have to be honest, I didn't know that Ireland was developing or planning a Contact Tracing App until I read this post and started Googling.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

It seems a bit odd that in an era where masses of people cross borders every day for work that we're relying on nation-states as the natural unit of pandemic app provision.

Like if it's going to be fully decentralized and privacy focused, and just notifies people who have been near people who have been near people, and you're especially wanting to target people who travel around a lot, that sounds more like something you'd want to do at a supranational level rather than each territorial government, or at least have an agreed upon standard so that France, Germany, and Belgium aren't using completely incompatible apps.

You'd need a way of only allowing registered clinics and health authorities to flag a device as associated with a positive test, which is a pitfall, but it sounds better than having an app that stops working at the border in Ireland.

(Of course it'd be fun to see the reactions of the conspiracy lot to a WHO/EU superapp.)

I think (and I might be wrong) that once you have the app from your local app store, it works anywhere in the world (in terms of tracking exposure), it's just the exposure notification has to be triggered by your local health authority.

They're putting a lot of restrictions on distribution and implementation both because of the obvious implications of malicious third party developers gaining access to the system but also because giant tech conglomerates who don't pay taxes don't suddenly want to be seen as usurping the government (see: Facebook Libra).

This contains a pretty good overview of the restrictions Google/Apple are putting on anybody who wants to implement their system: https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/04/apple-and-google-release-sample-code-and-detailed-policies-for-covid-19-exposure-notification-apps/

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

God, that's absolutely infuriating. David Cameron and MI6 were directly responsible for the MEN bombing. What the gently caress.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

e: n/m, i'm an idiot. Ignore this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

blunt posted:

I think (and I might be wrong) that once you have the app from your local app store, it works anywhere in the world (in terms of tracking exposure), it's just the exposure notification has to be triggered by your local health authority.
That'd make sense for the ones that don't rely on a central server system, but if the apps themselves aren't using an agreed upon standard for notification then that still doesn't help if I'm using the UK app and come within 2m of someone using the French app that has confirmed coronas.

blunt posted:

They're putting a lot of restrictions on distribution and implementation both because of the obvious implications of malicious third party developers gaining access to the system but also because giant tech conglomerates who don't pay taxes don't suddenly want to be seen as usurping the government (see: Facebook Libra).

This contains a pretty good overview of the restrictions Google/Apple are putting on anybody who wants to implement their system: https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/04/apple-and-google-release-sample-code-and-detailed-policies-for-covid-19-exposure-notification-apps/
Yeah I wasn't thinking the tech companies themselves releasing a worldwide app, but a global pandemic spread by traveling sounds like a job for a multinational NGO more than individual nation-states each choosing their own method. I'm sure you'd get a bunch of people rejecting it due to Trumpbrain or (((globalism))), but it'd work better as long as there was no central server and an agreed upon protocol for registering cases.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol cool i'm now on unpaid leave or possible furlough but the furlough will be 80% of minimum wage

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jose posted:

lol cool i'm now on unpaid leave or possible furlough but the furlough will be 80% of minimum wage

Careful not to get addicted

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/paullewis/status/1258362216245583872?s=21

This will be worth a read.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Continuity RCP posted:

Careful not to get addicted

After reading more carefully its 80% of my full pay so too late

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

Cummings' mate's brother, wasn't it? Certainly someone involved with leave.eu.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The app still has to be official, and ideally interface with health authorities to automatically arrange testing, otherwise it's just a poo poo Tinder to FIND HOT SINGLE VIRUSES NEAR YOU NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The app still has to be official, and ideally interface with health authorities to automatically arrange testing, otherwise it's just a poo poo Tinder to FIND HOT SINGLE VIRUSES NEAR YOU NOW.

Tinder is going to get traffic bombed once lockdown ends, isn't it? All those people with twice as much Netflix and no chill.