Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
If you like Avicii's stuff, I definitely would check out the free copy of Avicii Invector they give you via Twitch Prime. It's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I only just now got an e-mail from Namco Bandai (or whatever) that Pac Man Championship Edition 2 was free and at least on the PS4... it was!

e: Steam too.

The european stores for xbox, playstation and steam still list it as free.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

The european stores for xbox, playstation and steam still list it as free.

Yeah that's what I was saying. Last time someone said it was free it wasn't, for me. Now it is, yay.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Showdown Bandit looks not horrible and is free for this month!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Death Coming is free on EGS this week

They're keeping next weeks game a secret :iiam:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

repiv posted:

Lol at why steam thinks I'd like the game. :thejoke:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

repiv posted:

I would download but setting up their auth app business just 404s on me repeatedly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

OgNar posted:

I would download but setting up their auth app business just 404s on me repeatedly.

I did the email 2FA, but it took several minutes before an email showed up. By then I had tried the account option again and now it wanted the latest code (which again took a couple minutes to show up).

So I'm guessing their servers are flaky right now and patience is required.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

It did finally work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess since I already had 2FA on my account, it didn't ask me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Noted AMD benchmark tool Ashes of the Singularity is free through the Humble Newsletter.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/ashes-of-the-singularity-escalation-free-game

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

njsykora posted:

Noted AMD benchmark tool Ashes of the Singularity is free through the Humble Newsletter.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/ashes-of-the-singularity-escalation-free-game

Unfortunately, it is also a Brad Wardell production, if that's a consideration for anyone.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
HumbleBundle is offering Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation copies for three days. I tried it around time of release and it's a pretty nifty RTS.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aerdan posted:

Unfortunately, it is also a Brad Wardell production, if that's a consideration for anyone.

Who is Brad Wardell?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Mierenneuker posted:

I did the email 2FA, but it took several minutes before an email showed up. By then I had tried the account option again and now it wanted the latest code (which again took a couple minutes to show up).

So I'm guessing their servers are flaky right now and patience is required.

Intern Vadim is doing the best he can so please be patient with him.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Len posted:

Who is Brad Wardell?
Bee loving, employee hating (especially women), lawsuit happy CEO of Stardock.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Bee loving, employee hating (especially women), lawsuit happy CEO of Stardock.

Don’t forget his worst crime: parking in the handicap spot.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Also sat on the rights to Star Control and made a bogus Star Control sequel without all the permissions and prevented the original devs from working on a SC sequel of their own.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Silver Snail posted:

Also sat on the rights to Star Control and made a bogus Star Control sequel without all the permissions and prevented the original devs from working on a SC sequel of their own.
They've since amicably settled this conflict with an exchange of mead and bees (really) and clearly drawn lines about who owns what and can do what. Pretty messy getting there, though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

He also did Gamers' Bill of Rights.

http://gamersbillofrights.com/

Stardock proceeded to poo poo on the entire list.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

repiv posted:

Seeing a lot of rumor this morning that its GTAV but who knows. It did just come off of xbox gamepass, would Epic have a way to make it free for a limited time like that? Or are they more likely to make it a full key?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
GTAV might as well be free to play with how much it costs to get multiplayer content of you don't want to cheat or grind forever.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SelenicMartian posted:

He also did Gamers' Bill of Rights.

http://gamersbillofrights.com/

Stardock proceeded to poo poo on the entire list.

My personal and highly self-centered complaint with Stardock was when I bought a copy of Galactic Civilizations II and ran into a memory leak bug that caused the game to use up all memory and crash once your empire got to a certain size. Also textures were loaded in an unoptimized way which led to the game using a lot more video memory than it needed. The CEO had these fixed in an expansion in development, and promised to roll them back to the base game. This never happened, so I had basically paid for a demo of a full product.

In my righteous gamer anger, I vowed never to purchase another Stardock product.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Cojawfee posted:

GTAV might as well be free to play with how much it costs to get multiplayer content of you don't want to cheat or grind forever.

Would be fun to play the single player though. I miss GTA games.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Would be fun to play the single player though. I miss GTA games.

Has any 3D Grand Theft Auto game ever been a freebie anywhere?

e: Not that it helps right rn now I guess :shrug:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i vaguely remember GTA3 being a freebie on steam at one point a few years ago, before this thread really existed. but that might be my mind playing tricks on me. even if it's not, GTA3 is actually pretty hard to go back to at this stage, the second act of the game drags like crazy and the vehicles are clearly from a time before we as a race knew how to abstract a wheel and pedal properly.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Has any 3D Grand Theft Auto game ever been a freebie anywhere?

e: Not that it helps right rn now I guess :shrug:

I got GTA San Andreas for free on the Rockstar Launcher maybe six months ago. Don't quite remember what the promotion was.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well then I guess there's a chance!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think I got one of the 3d ones free on Rockstar's from this very thread, but I can't be bothered to load up their launcher to check

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Regrettable posted:

I got GTA San Andreas for free on the Rockstar Launcher maybe six months ago. Don't quite remember what the promotion was.

The promotion was "Please use our launcher"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Coolguye posted:

i vaguely remember GTA3 being a freebie on steam at one point a few years ago, before this thread really existed. but that might be my mind playing tricks on me. even if it's not, GTA3 is actually pretty hard to go back to at this stage, the second act of the game drags like crazy and the vehicles are clearly from a time before we as a race knew how to abstract a wheel and pedal properly.

I want to say I got GTA3 for free on Android years and years ago?

But I've also got Vice City for Android apparently so maybe I just bought them on the cheap

stringless fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 13, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

doctorfrog posted:

My personal and highly self-centered complaint with Stardock was when I bought a copy of Galactic Civilizations II and ran into a memory leak bug that caused the game to use up all memory and crash once your empire got to a certain size. Also textures were loaded in an unoptimized way which led to the game using a lot more video memory than it needed. The CEO had these fixed in an expansion in development, and promised to roll them back to the base game. This never happened, so I had basically paid for a demo of a full product.

In my righteous gamer anger, I vowed never to purchase another Stardock product.

I don't want to praise a company too much for ancient practices too much but Demigod had a shitshow of a launch and refunds were available.
This was well before Steam or anything else had refunds.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Not free but GTA 5 was just on PlayStation Plus, which lends credibility to them doing a full freebie here.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bottom Liner posted:

Not free but GTA 5 was just on PlayStation Plus, which lends credibility to them doing a full freebie here.

Wait when? I don't think I missed a month and I don't own it

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I might have to cave on EGS for a freebie GTA5. I’ve never played it but it would be fun to crime and roam around the map. Is the single player good?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

I might have to cave on EGS for a freebie GTA5. I’ve never played it but it would be fun to crime and roam around the map. Is the single player good?

Yes

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yeah it's fantastic, up there with San Andreas and Vice City.

Honestly I wouldn't bother getting it for multiplayer, that's pretty grindy and aimed at selling in-game currency.

Side note, how the gently caress is GTAV seven years old :psyduck:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I recently picked it up on sale and replayed it; can confirm single player is good and very fun. The story is juvenile and cynical as hell, but driving around and shooting are both super fun and fortunately that's like 90% of the game. the other 10% is dress up and the occasional jetski race.

In somewhat more on-topic content for the thread, I see that GTA1 and GTA2 are free online: https://gta.com.ua/rockstargames-classics-free-download.phtml But it looks like they belong in the "games that have always been free" thread. I have good memories of GTA2 from when I was a kid and I'd love to check it out again, but I just can't get that download to work. I'm afraid the game won't run on modern machines. Sucks!

EDIT: Well poo poo! I tried it again right after posting this and, after installing something called "Directplay" that was part of the installer, it now works. gently caress yeah I'm playing the poo poo out of this now

timp fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 14, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bottom Liner posted:

No it wasn't, unless you're confusing PS Plus with PS Now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's pretty good; I didn't love the story but it has some memorable moments. The map is the strong point-- it's diverse, great sound design, beautiful to look at, and driving/flying around feels great.