Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

showbiz_liz posted:

I loving loved Dadlands. I'd love to see a mini arc with that guy DMing.
fwiw that's exactly what Tiny Heist is (only with all 4 McElboys plus 2 ladies as players, and it's video not just a podcast)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Stroop There It Is posted:

fwiw that's exactly what Tiny Heist is (only with all 4 McElboys plus 2 ladies as players, and it's video not just a podcast)

yeah tbh "all the mcelroys plus multiple women and someone else DMing" is basically the recipe to make TAZ good again

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

dirksteadfast posted:

The latest Rude Tales is a great example because while the main story beat feels more or less pre-planned, the nachos don’t and is a great use of the DM and players building off each other so they’re moving the story along while still having good unexpected moments.

(Not spoiling because it’s not nearly enough information to glean how glorious the situation unfolds. Holy poo poo)

hard to undersell that episode, end of it floored me.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

To speak as positively as I do negatively, Travis is loving phenomenal in this week's MBMBAM. He's the funniest part of basically every segment.

agreeing with this

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A thing I didn't really like about Monster of the Week was that it felt like they just failed all the time. It was kind of lame?

Although I fully concede that it might be

1. mostly bad rolls
2. Griffin being bad at DMing
3. human nature to remember failures over successes

more than a problem with the game system itself.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

A thing I didn't really like about Monster of the Week was that it felt like they just failed all the time. It was kind of lame?

Although I fully concede that it might be

1. mostly bad rolls
2. Griffin being bad at DMing
3. human nature to remember failures over successes

more than a problem with the game system itself.

See, that's funny because I listened to some Friends at the Table, in which they've played a few PbtA games, and finding that Griffin was going easy on his players by comparison, not letting mixed successes cause every situation to spiral out of control like Austin sometimes seems to. But then, I might also be biased in that direction simply because FatT has much fewer qualms about letting its stories be total bummers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fred is on posted:

See, that's funny because I listened to some Friends at the Table, in which they've played a few PbtA games, and finding that Griffin was going easy on his players by comparison, not letting mixed successes cause every situation to spiral out of control like Austin sometimes seems to. But then, I might also be biased in that direction simply because FatT has much fewer qualms about letting its stories be total bummers.

"things spiraling out of control" is the entire point/appeal of pbta systems so not allowing it to happen is a massive straitjacket on storytelling

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Fred is on posted:

Yeah didn't Aubrey roll a miss to convince the Hornet gang to join with them and Griffin had Jake Cool Ice show his real self to them and they joined anyway? I remember stuff like that showing up more then the PCs failing.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Heliotrope posted:

Yeah didn't Aubrey roll a miss to convince the Hornet gang to join with them and Griffin had Jake Cool Ice show his real self to them and they joined anyway? I remember stuff like that showing up more then the PCs failing.

I forget precisely how that went down, all I remember is having had that general impression.

But then, I guess it's also easy to remember vividly moments like Ned being put in the hospital by improper jetpack usage.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

TAZ should be renamed to "The narrative could go anywhere based on the players decisions and their rolls....unless..."

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

fwiw, as someone who was saying this during the first few episodes, I don't think that claim has been made in this thread for a long while.

It's not a valid defense anymore. He hasn't made the adjustments needed to fix things.

I meant that I saw it on Reddit and elsewhere as late as the last episode.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I haven't listened to the last 8 episodes of TAZ, did I miss anything important?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Entropic posted:

I haven't listened to the last 8 episodes of TAZ, did I miss anything important?

There's a plot twist, but if you haven't been enjoying it I'd say you're not really going to come around.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fred is on posted:

I forget precisely how that went down, all I remember is having had that general impression.

But then, I guess it's also easy to remember vividly moments like Ned being put in the hospital by improper jetpack usage.

The jetpack was the dumbest drat thing.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

eke out posted:

yeah tbh "all the mcelroys plus multiple women and someone else DMing" is basically the recipe to make TAZ good again

Get McElwives on TAZ so Travis will never have to do a female voice

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Any more than 5 players is too many imo, so if you want multiple women and all the McElroy, you'll need a woman dm

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Who was it that DM'd for them when they did the big D&D Avernus stream?

I'm not suggesting she actually DM TAZ or anything, I just remember being very impressed by her ability to handle their various bullshit as it occurred.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Not Operator posted:

Who was it that DM'd for them when they did the big D&D Avernus stream?

I'm not suggesting she actually DM TAZ or anything, I just remember being very impressed by her ability to handle their various bullshit as it occurred.

kate welch i think

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'd been putting this off because it's harder to find time for a 2 hour video than a 2 hour podcast, but I finally checked the first episode out last night and despite a slow start, I was really into it by the end.

And to watch the rest of it, it looks like, instead of signing up for a "free trial" of Dropout which I WILL forget to cancel because brain problems, I can just "gift myself" a one-month plan for five bucks. They don't let you buy that for yourself technically, but you only need two email addresses to do it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

showbiz_liz posted:

I'd been putting this off because it's harder to find time for a 2 hour video than a 2 hour podcast, but I finally checked the first episode out last night and despite a slow start, I was really into it by the end.

And to watch the rest of it, it looks like, instead of signing up for a "free trial" of Dropout which I WILL forget to cancel because brain problems, I can just "gift myself" a one-month plan for five bucks. They don't let you buy that for yourself technically, but you only need two email addresses to do it.

Oh that's smart! Though I will say, I got Dropout to watch the first season of Dimension 20 before it was on YouTube and to be very honest, I watch it almost as much as any other video service like Netflix or Hulu; hell, maybe even more. There's a lot of good and legitimately funny shows on there, tabletop RPG related or otherwise. All seasons of Dimension 20 are great (though I wasn't crazy about Unsleeping City, it was still very good) and there's a lot of Talking Dead-style after show content as well. And on the non-RPG side of things I'd recommend Um Actually, Total Forgiveness, Game Changer, Rank Room and Breaking News.

I'm pretty sure I've made a post like this before but it's been a while and, gently caress, who knows how much longer it'll even be around with CollegeHumor getting shellacked earlier this year. I have no qualms about throwing $5/month their way (though I wish it could all go to the production and talent instead of Connected Ventures or whatever the gently caress)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Um, Actually is a great gameshow I highly recommend.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Kazy posted:

Something just hit me like a ton of bricks.

Why the gently caress have The McElroy Bros not been on Um, Actually?? They 100% should have made that happen! They clearly had Matt Mercer join in for an episode or two when he was around for Season 2 of Dimension 20. Damnit!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Kazy posted:

Ok that’s great and all, but what is the show’s name?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

The drawfee show, cartoon hell, is really good.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

"Coronavirus: Gollum actor Serkis to raise cash by reading entire Hobbit live online"

Well, no wonder Clint's read-through got shut down so fast.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Entropic posted:

They kind of finally started the point of the campaign two episodes ago. Those ones in the interim were pretty awful.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

the next monster factory is gonna be wild yo

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1258055236377182210

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

TAZ probably won't ever be as good as Balance was, but they can absolutely keep trying to make high quality stuff. But how to do that... gently caress if I, or they, know.

I thought Dust was on track to be just as good as Balance if they gave it the same amount of time. I was hoping that would be the proto-campaign that got the full length instead of Amnesty, and I still think they should go back to it. There's no reason they couldn't do it with the D&D ruleset too, if they felt like adapting it.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

sticklefifer posted:

I thought Dust was on track to be just as good as Balance if they gave it the same amount of time. I was hoping that would be the proto-campaign that got the full length instead of Amnesty, and I still think they should go back to it. There's no reason they couldn't do it with the D&D ruleset too, if they felt like adapting it.

Dust was strange because it felt like Travis liked the Urban Shadows rules but then ran a game that wasn't really playing to its strengths. But I'm fine with them going back to it if it means they do something other then D&D and for the love of god please don't just do everything with D&D rules.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Travis shot down doing Dust again because he found trying to make a compelling mystery story tough and the idea of doing it again and again every arc sounded like a nightmare

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i feel like i'm one of the few people who didn't like dust, in it i see a lot of problems that are also in graduation. in the first episode augustus parsons (who i would kill the firbolg in an instant to get back) makes a joke and travis spends the next few minutes lore dumping about factions to explain why the npc does not say or do anything funny and in fact is annoyed by the attempts to make humor on a comedy podcast

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

At the time, at least, I took that as more “if you rip on these characters like they’re all Jenkins they might just tell you to gently caress off” and frankly I’d prefer that to Graduation’s dynamic of a PC telling a joke and Travis’s NPC just going “...oookay” again and again

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, in Dust it was more the first opportunity for Travis to mention that goofs could come at a cost in the game. The silver lining was that he wasn't great about enforcing it, so there were still some fun goofs in Dust.:)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blockhouse posted:

Travis shot down doing Dust again because he found trying to make a compelling mystery story tough and the idea of doing it again and again every arc sounded like a nightmare

I can believe it considering how much trouble he's having telling a regular story.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Fred is on posted:

To be fair the jetpack was intensely dangerous from the start so I felt like Ned got off pretty easy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

misadventurous posted:

At the time, at least, I took that as more “if you rip on these characters like they’re all Jenkins they might just tell you to gently caress off” and frankly I’d prefer that to Graduation’s dynamic of a PC telling a joke and Travis’s NPC just going “...oookay” again and again

Being a DM and no-selling your party's out of character bullshit in character is a tried and true staple of D&D.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like people forget Jenkins was also more or less the endpoint for "Tres Horny Boys treat rando characters like poo poo for no real reason" outside of live shows, Merle's bizarre hatred of Angus, and Leon.

Poor, poor Leon.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

https://twitter.com/HeyLizardLeigh/status/1258853543324286986?s=20

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

dirksteadfast posted:

The latest Rude Tales is a great example because while the main story beat feels more or less pre-planned, the nachos don’t and is a great use of the DM and players building off each other so they’re moving the story along while still having good unexpected moments.

(Not spoiling because it’s not nearly enough information to glean how glorious the situation unfolds. Holy poo poo)

Should someone make a separate rude tales of magic thread? Because I want to talk about Rude Tales of magic more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Should someone make a separate rude tales of magic thread? Because I want to talk about Rude Tales of magic more.

I'm too lazy to start a thread but the newest Rude Tales is amazing