Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Morpheus posted:

Because it's free this month on PSPlus, I figured I'd give Farming Simulator a try. My gf's father actual teaches some sort of farming sciences stuff, and is a fan of the game (or maybe it's the '20 version) so I thought I'd see what it's like.

It's...well, it's a farming simulator alright. My gripes are with the interface though, as it's not very good. At any given point, the things you can do with your buttons are listed in the top left of the screen, and having to look through them to figure out how to do the thing you want with the thing in front of you is a pain in the butt. It would've been so much better if there were context-present button cues over the objects you actually wanted to interact with (ie having an 'X - ATTACH' float over the thing in front of you that you want to attach, rather than in the top-left menu, or a L1 + SQUARE over the, uh, harvester bit that lowers or whatever).

Anyway it seems kinda neat, a sort of zen game. Would rather have one of the truck simulators for free, but whatever.

Competitive farming simulator is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I hereby officially rescind my previous statement that playing as Plague Knight is the most unpleasant experience in any game ever. I have now played as Joey in Children of Morta, and my eyes have been opened to what true terrible gameplay feels like.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I liked plague knight a heck of a lot but I think the character worked best on the 3ds of all places. easier to swap to whatever you need when the inventory screen is right below the main one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

plague knight was easier for me than base shovel but the plague->shovel muscle memory switch is really irritating to do

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

JackSplater posted:

I had two main issues with traffic:
1) Not all road styles are unlocked from the start, so you usually end up with your first section of town straight off the highway being basic two-lane roads, and by the time you can upgrade them it's usually a fairly entrenched part of town. How much are you willing to rebuild just to make your city's main influx point not terrible?
2) Emergency vehicles follow all traffic laws all the time. So unless you either a) get flying firefighters (which I think is DLC locked) or b) build way more fire stations than you think you need, you're eventually going to have issues with traffic blocking firefighters. Solving that problem, at least for me, would basically be a puzzle game entirely on its own, without having all the other parts of the game added on.

Also, the amount of education buildings required for a town is way higher than it realistically should be. Last time I played it felt like I needed one school for every 50 or so houses.

The traffic is cool, but everyone drives like fuckin morons. The design is similar to real cities, but you have to account for some of those stupidities.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SpookyLizard posted:

The traffic is cool, but everyone drives like fuckin morons. The design is similar to real cities, but you have to account for some of those stupidities.

The traffic simulation is, if anything, too accurate.

I like Cities Skylines, a lot, but the traffic makes me feel stupid, and the city planning makes me feel stupid and uncreative. It made me realize just how important disasters are in a city sim game like that (since Skylines didn't originally have it): responding to and rebuilding after a disaster is an entirely different skillset, and it happens to be the only skillset used in a city simulator that I've got.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Cities Skylines isn't really complete without Traffic Manager: Presidential Edition and Network Extensions imo

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There's some good guides on steam to help you with your road networks, I recommend. The thing that gets me is that cims always get in the nearest lane when turning (no one in life does this), and they STAY THERE until they can drive for a little while and know their next turn is far enough away, then they change lanes. If your roads are janky, they will literally never leave the right hand lane on a three lane road, leaving 60% of the road empty while everyone sits in traffic. Infuriating.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cities Skylines doesn't have really tiny roundabouts as a traffic management option and that's the real crime. I'm talkin' little one-lane each direction ones, not the giant ones.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The traffic AI in Cities Skylines sucks rear end. A ped's route is decided upon when they embark and they will not change it no matter what. This leads to huge congestion because they automatically pick the route with the shortest DISTANCE to the destination assuming there is no traffic and all lights are green. Therefore, many peds are likely to pick the same roads and clog them up as they don't have the ability to notice a route is no longer the fastest because of the traffic on it. And even then this wouldn't be a huge problem if they could merge or change lanes, but they can't. A ped will merge into the lane they need to be in right after turning onto the street and just sit there behind 30 other vehicles doing the same thing when there may be open lanes or an alternate route available.

edit: Or even other turn lanes, for that matter. Because everything about the route is pre-decided, if you have a road with multiple turn lanes they STILL won't split themselves evenly among them. You could have a road with two turn lanes and one of them backed up to kingdom come because the peds aren't smart enough to notice the other shorter turn lane will also take them where they want to go.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:32 on May 7, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Too much realism in gaming is a bad choice, imo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's as if every inhabitant of your city is your stubborn grandpa who would rather sit at the same intersection for five minutes inching forward than turn off and take a side street to circumvent it because "this is the way I've ALWAYS gone"

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Cities Skylines doesn't have really tiny roundabouts as a traffic management option and that's the real crime. I'm talkin' little one-lane each direction ones, not the giant ones.

the lack of easy roundabouts and jug handles is one of the worst things

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Oh yeah, I forgot that it doesn't actually have traffic circles, it has circular one-way roads with stoplights wherever a road meets up with it. Which kind of removes the flow reason behind roundabouts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can toggle traffic lights (or stop signs) on any given intersection in the traffic routes info panel. Not sure when that got added or if it's always been there, but either way there's no 90 degree curve road tool so you have to sketch out roundabouts by hand with the normal curve tool which is a big pain.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something annoying in Hollow Knight is that sometimes your shadow/regret is right in the middle of a boss arena so you can't easily reclaim it without triggering a fight that you know you have trouble with. Sometimes the shadow appears just before the arena which is nice, but in this attic with a bunch of noble bugs and a bunch of waves of guards, the shadow just appears right in the middle of the room. So annoying.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

piratepilates posted:

Police Stations decrease crime in an area around where they're plopped, I believe corresponding to how far a car could travel from the station by road. Plopping one down increases cim happiness in the local area and increases land value, leading to higher level buildings and more and more smarter people. Hospitals do the same but have some kind of health component to them. Schools do the same but also educate cims over time, leading them to shift to more smarter work (better commercial, and office buildings instead of industry (maybe there's smart industry too? I'm not sure, can't recall)). Fire stations stop things from burning down.

Buses reduce car traffic, cims want to take busses when they are available over driving. Yes you should make a bus line, you should put the stops where people live so they can take the bus, and position the line partially overlapping with other transit (bus lines, metro, train, tram, monorail, etc.) so cims can transfer to those methods and not take cars. The exact placement of lines is up to you.

I know the basic purposes of each service building, but I don't know what they really *do* for me. Yes, police reduce crime, but also what actually is crime in terms of the simulation? Why is it bad? What other parts of the simulation is it tugging on? Is there anything I can optimize beyond minimizing traffic so cops can drive around easier? Health care is similarly cloudy, though perhaps to a lesser extent. Obviously fire fighters are the most visible and the negative effects of their absence equally unambiguous. Education pisses me off. I dunno how much better it is with the semi-recent update, but I would regularly get education death spirals where my entire industry and commercial sectors would collapse because everyone only wanted to work high-end office jobs and literally nothing else. I still have no idea how you were supposed to deal with that.

With buses it's a granularity thing. I can grok that a bus that stops at one side of the city and then stops at the other end is good for a number of common sense reasons. But the tangible effects of each specific stop (or route, or bus per route) get more and more diluted and vague. Definitely a lot of "ehhh...that looks good enough I guess" when it comes to those.

Ultimately I dislike how the net benefit of most of your actions seems to simply be to feed a generic happiness score, which then modulates your city's growth. (And if I remember right said generic happiness effects all zones equally, which sometimes leads to weird stuff like industry stalling because there aren't enough parks around.) That's not the worst idea in the world for a more simplistic game and I get that there needs to be some amount of abstraction, but everything just feels...off.

It extends into the game's fundamental systems, too. Why is water coverage a thing when there's zero gameplay involved??? Why is electricity coverage a thing you need to think about for a little while and then just automatically goes away after the grid fills out? About half of the game takes time to play out (everything to do with zoned buildings forex.) and then the other half happens instantaneously (roads, unique buildings). You can pave over somebody's house and it's a minor inconvenience for everyone involved but god forbid you try and move that hospital around, you imbecile, you literal buffoon. Low-density housing is weirdly dense, schools admit way fewer students than it feels like they should, meanwhile other service buildings come in only two sizes: too big medium or loving huge large. Aaaaaa.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 10:16 on May 7, 2020

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

I know the basic purposes of each service building, but I don't know what they really *do* for me. Yes, police reduce crime, but also what actually is crime in terms of the simulation? Why is it bad? What other parts of the simulation is it tugging on? Is there anything I can optimize beyond minimizing traffic so cops can drive around easier?

Similarly, why do corpses keep stacking up even if every major district has its own graveyard (which is not full) and right next to it a crematorium (which is running below 50% capacity) and they both are connected to major pathways? If this is not how you do it, then what is?

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

BioEnchanted posted:

Something annoying in Hollow Knight is that sometimes your shadow/regret is right in the middle of a boss arena so you can't easily reclaim it without triggering a fight that you know you have trouble with. Sometimes the shadow appears just before the arena which is nice, but in this attic with a bunch of noble bugs and a bunch of waves of guards, the shadow just appears right in the middle of the room. So annoying.

You can unlock a way to recover your shade.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Don't Ask posted:

You can unlock a way to recover your shade.

I know but that still requires using a consumable item that it is a pain to find the shop for.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Streets of Rage 4 is the greatest beatemup to come out in recent memory, and most of the time it strikes a good balance between challenging and fair. But man oh man, Y Tower (Chapter 9) on Mania is some of the most insane bullshit ever.

- The first floor has 3 apples total, which only restore a sliver of health. You don't get a turkey (aka full health restore) until almost the very end.
- The floors are slippery, meaning your punches sometimes won't connect as the bad guys will slide right past you.
- There are at least 20 kickboxing ninjas on the first floor, all of whom can knee you from midscreen and whose three-kick combo will take off 20% of your health.
- They can also block your attacks, meaning you can't stack them up as you can other enemies. If you get hit once by these guys it's pretty much a restart.
- There's no damage immunity window, so if you get hit out of the air you can lose half your health bar to some wombo combo before recovering.
- Following this gauntlet, you have to survive an elevator sequence where falling off the edge takes off half your health bar and every single enemy has knockback.
- There is only one star move pickup (screen clearing ability) in the entire level.

Other stages on Mania are hard, but this was on a whole other level. It probably took me at least 200 attempts because you have to be almost perfect and there are SO many things that can instantly wipe you, most of which are beyond your control. The good news is that if you can beat Chapter 9, the rest of Mania will seem like a breeze.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yikes this sidequest in Hollow Knight taking a flower across the whole map is going to SUCK. I'm going to hold off until I've done everything else and opened all the shortcuts. Hopefully it'll let me use the trolley car things that I need a pass to activate.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The tram is okay for the delicate flower, none of the other fast travel methods work.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you clear the route beforehand and do a few other things (like set up fast travel back when you fail) it's annoying but not nearly the most frustrating bit of platforming in the game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

basically it's either a complete nightmare or just utterly tedious. Not the highlight of the game, I'm not sure I ever actually did it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Something I noticed on my second playthrough of the Trials of Mana remake (goes to show how little it is, also how little it drags it down), but they made the scene where Delicate Affection plays much shorter than in the original, so you don't hear the latter, much better part of the theme.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Streets of Rage 4 is the greatest beatemup to come out in recent memory, and most of the time it strikes a good balance between challenging and fair. But man oh man, Y Tower (Chapter 9) on Mania is some of the most insane bullshit ever.

[...]

Other stages on Mania are hard, but this was on a whole other level. It probably took me at least 200 attempts because you have to be almost perfect and there are SO many things that can instantly wipe you, most of which are beyond your control. The good news is that if you can beat Chapter 9, the rest of Mania will seem like a breeze.

How long is the level? Like how much time does each attempt take usually?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well sometimes you'll basically get into an unwinnable state on the first screen so I'd hit start and Retry right there. I'd say 75% of my attempts were just trying to get to the elevator without losing a life.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
In Assassin's Creed: Syndicate you can skip cutscenes... except for the dumb rear end modern day ones. They are the only ones that I want to skip!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Little Things Dragging This Game Down:

exquisite tea posted:

an unwinnable state on the first screen

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Little Things Dragging This Game Down:

Its like when you need to restart civ game five times in a row because the map generator thinks that hilly desert next to a mountain range with one oasis and two sheep near the map edge is "good starting position" for HRE, or any culture from the Middle east.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Danger - Octopus! posted:

In Assassin's Creed: Syndicate you can skip cutscenes... except for the dumb rear end modern day ones. They are the only ones that I want to skip!

I kept a book handy for those. Ubisoft is getting so close to making Assassin's Creed games truly great, if they'd just stop loving around with the modern framing device. No one cares. No one will mourn it. I've been ignoring the modern stuff for so long that I have no idea who the characters are or what they're trying to do. They're just between me and fun gameplay. I just want to climb around historical buildings and stab people.

Preferably with Kassandra from Odyssey.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Its like when you need to restart civ game five times in a row because the map generator thinks that hilly desert next to a mountain range with one oasis and two sheep near the map edge is "good starting position" for HRE

That's more than they deserve.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

I kept a book handy for those. Ubisoft is getting so close to making Assassin's Creed games truly great, if they'd just stop loving around with the modern framing device. No one cares. No one will mourn it. I've been ignoring the modern stuff for so long that I have no idea who the characters are or what they're trying to do. They're just between me and fun gameplay. I just want to climb around historical buildings and stab people.

Preferably with Kassandra from Odyssey.

I liked the modern day stuff in the first couple games, at least. I checked out around the end of the Ezio games, and I would believe you if you said they just get worse.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Twitch posted:

I liked the modern day stuff in the first couple games, at least. I checked out around the end of the Ezio games, and I would believe you if you said they just get worse.

They get hilariously meaningless after the AC3 ends the actual disaster storyline; its just assassins who have become violent hippies squatting in vans around national parks and templars posing as multinational corporation endlessly slapfighting each other.

On one AC game, I kid you not, if you bothered with the modern day stuff at all, your end goal was to provide enough memory and video material from Animus so that the templars could release a mean social media update to upset and annoy the assassins.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 19:22 on May 7, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

There's something I'm kind of stuck on with Hollow Knight - without giving it away, in the area with the jellyfish enemies there are these black energy pillars - is the way to get rid of them in that same area or elsewhere? I have the Crystal Heart and the power to slam through breakable floors, and have tried to go wherever I can, but cannot get there. I can't even get the map there until this is sorted out. If it's linked to another area then don't tell me what, but I seem to be missing something in this area.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

There's something I'm kind of stuck on with Hollow Knight - without giving it away, in the area with the jellyfish enemies there are these black energy pillars - is the way to get rid of them in that same area or elsewhere? I have the Crystal Heart and the power to slam through breakable floors, and have tried to go wherever I can, but cannot get there. I can't even get the map there until this is sorted out. If it's linked to another area then don't tell me what, but I seem to be missing something in this area.

If you're talking about what I think you are, you'll get an item elsewhere that will let you pass through them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK, thanks, I'll keep exploring on my own then, just wanted to check. I've got all three Nail Arts, so it's not like I'm not exploring thoroughly :P

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

They get hilariously meaningless after the AC3 ends the actual disaster storyline; its just assassins who have become violent hippies squatting in vans around national parks and templars posing as multinational corporation endlessly slapfighting each other.

On one AC game, I kid you not, if you bothered with the modern day stuff at all, your end goal was to provide enough memory and video material from Animus so that the templars could release a mean social media update to upset and annoy the assassins.

I'm gonna be honest this sounds like a improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Der Kyhe posted:

Posting is Praxis