Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

The bigger screens remain inconvenient and difficult to hold. Apple has done nothing to improve the grip on their phones so I find even the 8 too big, and the Plus models to be just a worthless joke.

Give more thickness and texture.

Bad news: small phones don’t sell, the new SE and the 11 and 11 Pro models do. So , you can complain and have your opinion, but Apple is simply not gonna release a new small phone in the size of ten iPhone 5 again. Most people would not buy it at this point.

Weedle posted:

can i interest you in the red hydrogen one

Another phone that didn’t sell well because of gimmick features (in this case Camera).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It's true. The ancient SE sold because it was cheap and capitalized on the iPhone 5/5S but most people were already interested in much larger phones at the time and now smaller than a 5.5" display is considered the tiniest thing. Releasing the new SE with a 4.6" LCD is already an incredibly risky bet outside of Apple's market where iPhone 7 and 8 models are everywhere. Thankfully, phones are thinner and have smaller bezels than ever and the iPhone 11 Pro is barely larger than an 8.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 7, 2020

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

The bigger screens remain inconvenient and difficult to hold. Apple has done nothing to improve the grip on their phones so I find even the 8 too big, and the Plus models to be just a worthless joke.

Give more thickness and texture.

when you say "difficult to hold" do you mean you find it uncomfortable to use? can't imagine anyone who'd find the 6/7/8 body difficult to just hold, maybe unless they were a little person.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
A lot of people complain that the 6/7/8/new SE design is hard to use one handed, especially without a case. Apple has given up on making that a design goal for its iPhone products.

I love my old SE and will probably buy the new one begrudgingly when my old SE dies or stops being supported. The new SE still has better use-ability than most other products on the market.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

silence_kit posted:

A lot of people complain that the 6/7/8/new SE design is hard to use one handed, especially without a case. Apple has given up on making that a design goal for its iPhone products.

I love my old SE and will probably buy the new one begrudgingly when my old SE dies or stops being supported. The new SE still has better use-ability than most other products on the market.

The old SE is just a little too cramped anymore for me. Some of the touch targets in apps, like whatever the top left hamburger menu type thing is in apps like Slack or GroupMe, feel like they're too small, I assume because they're designed for larger screens by default. Overall, it's still surprisingly good, and really nice to run with, but lots of websites and apps need just a bit more space these days imo.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Speaking as someone who generally only upgrades their phone every ~4 years or so, the SE was exactly what I was waiting for. Cheap, modern, doesn't have much in the way of extraneous features (gently caress FaceID), and is a measurable power upgrade compared to my previous phone (OG SE). It was between this and the base model 11 for me, and the huge price differential put it over the top (got the 128GB model for $250, spaced over 30 months through a promo).

Most applications and websites no longer have the size profile of the original SE in mind, so UIs got cramped. Not a problem anymore now that I upgraded, which is really all that I was looking for. A little brighter, a little faster, and runs without lag. Still gotta get used to reaching the top of the screen though.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

silence_kit posted:

people complain about that but i genuinely do not understand how. ever needing to physically reach above the midpoint of the screen is rare, and every possible bit of navigation can be done with a thumb.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

sleepwalkers posted:

people complain about that but i genuinely do not understand how. ever needing to physically reach above the midpoint of the screen is rare, and every possible bit of navigation can be done with a thumb.

This is not true for most women or if you are a man with small hands.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

silence_kit posted:

Those people represent an infinitesimally small segment of the market and they really need to make peace that "their favorite screen size" is gone and never coming back.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

silence_kit posted:

all of the women and/or small-handed folks i know can reach the opposite edge of the 6/7/8/SE design. if you can't do that and hold the phone in your right hand, then yes, that falls apart.

e: to actually enumerate the navigation you need: reachability makes the top half of the screen reachable, the home button obviously covers going home and being able to switch apps, and being able to reach the bottom of the left edge handles the "back" navigation in apps.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

my extremely tiny mother just upgraded from a 5c to an se and she loves it. it is fine

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

sleepwalkers posted:

all of the women and/or small-handed folks i know can reach the opposite edge of the 6/7/8/SE design. if you can't do that and hold the phone in your right hand, then yes, that falls apart.

Not the top of the screen though

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

Try going back on the Awful app? The assistance gesture is fine for me but I can see how it could be annoying.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Bum the Sad posted:

It looks like it's entirely separate, and doesn't force AppleCare+ into the purchase. You also don't get the 12 month trade it in and upgrade and pretend the whole thing never existed either. I mean you can obviously still trade it in but for an undetermined sum which is likely less than you still owe on the phone.

I think this is still true -- one caveat is you can't decline AppleCare at time of AUP purchase then add it in 30 days like you can with a normal one. I just included AppleCare even though it's likely a waste.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

silence_kit posted:

there aren't that many things i'm regularly reaching up to the top of the screen for, and the os has adjusted for this along with introducing features that reduce your dependence on reaching to the top of the screen

Sri.Theo posted:

Try going back on the Awful app? The assistance gesture is fine for me but I can see how it could be annoying.
i swipe from the left edge of the screen, like i do with just about every other app. works for me. :shrug:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

sleepwalkers posted:

e: to actually enumerate the navigation you need: reachability makes the top half of the screen reachable, the home button obviously covers going home and being able to switch apps, and being able to reach the bottom of the left edge handles the "back" navigation in apps.

Oh man, this is a pretty Apple post. 'Just avoid using your phone in that way'. Look I understand that Apple is abandoning the one-handed usage design concept and that many people don't seem to value it, but it, and the ability of a cellphone to fit easily in a front pocket, are compelling features to me, and I lament them gradually going away.

I think portraying this as some kind of Brilliant Apple UI Design Decision is misleading. They started doing it to copy Android and after realizing that it allowed them to sell more media subscriptions because it made people more likely to watch video on their phones. It probably helps them to design the internals of the phone, because it gives them more space, and to make the battery bigger as well.

For a lot of use cases it doesn't make phones more convenient to use--for example, many people buy gaudy glue-on plastic knobs to attach to their phones to help them hold them without dropping them. I think the presence of those popular third party accessories kind of calls the large phone UI design concept into question.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 7, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

silence_kit posted:

You can swipe down on the bottom of the screen and it brings the top of the screen to you

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a solid argument for larger phones for people with bad vision. Large fonts on a small device is like reading a book looking down a straw.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Oh man, this is a pretty Apple post. 'Just avoid using your phone in that way'. Look I understand that Apple is abandoning the one-handed usage design concept and that many people don't seem to value it ...
I think portraying this as some kind of Brilliant Apple UI Design Decision is misleading.
ah yes, the thing where i say "reachability exists" alongside the other completely benign navigation methods that are designed to reduce the amount of time someone has to reach to the top of the screen is both "pretty Apple" and making it out to be "some kind of Brilliant Apple UI Design Decision."
i've said multiple times i genuinely need to get to the top of the screen are pretty minimal at this point, largely chalked up to the back gesture being nigh universal and incredibly useful at this point. i'm not attempting to be preachy, i'm basing my thoughts and reactions off my experience using an iphone, where i rarely feel like i'm somehow handcuffed by the size of my device.

silence_kit posted:

They started doing it to copy Android and after realizing that it allowed them to sell more media subscriptions because it made people more likely to watch video on their phones.
now this, though... i'm not sure this makes much sense to me. the only media subscription service that apple could say "big screen == more better" launched five whole years after apple made the first "plus" model phone. hell, apple resisted doing it for years! (also i'm not sure if this is the assertion, but android manufacturers weren't doing it to sell media subscriptions either, they didn't have any to sell.)

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 7, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

sleepwalkers posted:

now this, though... i'm not sure this makes much sense to me. the only media subscription service that apple could say "big screen == more better" launched five whole years after apple made the first "plus" model phone. hell, apple resisted doing it for years! (also i'm not sure if this is the assertion, but android manufacturers weren't doing it to sell media subscriptions either.)

Apple and Google get a cut from all app sales and subscriptions initiated on their platforms, not just first-party services they provide.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
It's not a conspiracy if you don't assert that it was years in the making without a directly attributable benefit to everyone doing it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

people like big phones because you can see more on the screen. slightly more difficult one-handed use is obviously an acceptable tradeoff for the vast majority of people, otherwise nobody would have bought "phablets" when they first came out. note also that google does not have a substantial hardware business and it was other android oems that first introduced big phones

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

silence_kit posted:

Oh man, this is a pretty Apple post. 'Just avoid using your phone in that way'. Look I understand that Apple is abandoning the one-handed usage design concept and that many people don't seem to value it, but it, and the ability of a cellphone to fit easily in a front pocket, are compelling features to me, and I lament them gradually going away.

I think portraying this as some kind of Brilliant Apple UI Design Decision is misleading. They started doing it to copy Android and after realizing that it allowed them to sell more media subscriptions because it made people more likely to watch video on their phones. It probably helps them to design the internals of the phone, because it gives them more space, and to make the battery bigger as well.

For a lot of use cases it doesn't make phones more convenient to use--for example, many people buy gaudy glue-on plastic knobs to attach to their phones to help them hold them without dropping them. I think the presence of those popular third party accessories kind of calls the large phone UI design concept into question.

This isn't an Apple thing, it's the entire cell phone market. Small phones don't sell anymore. We have two hands, screen size and battery life have trumped the need to for being able to easily manipulate the phone with a single hand.

I held an iPhone 5 recently and it was certainly smaller and easier to hold. It felt nice in the hand and I wondered if there was a niche for smaller phones like this. Then I turned it on and tried to use the web or any modern app and it was just such a chore and a frustrating experience.

For a very large percentage of the population the cell phone is their primary computing device and for that usage screen size is king.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 7, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

FCKGW posted:

This isn't an Apple thing, it's the entire cell phone market. Small phones don't sell anymore. We have two hands, screen size and battery life have trumped the need to for being able to easily manipulate the phone with a single hand.

silence_kit posted:

Look I understand that Apple is abandoning the one-handed usage design concept and that many people don't seem to value it, but it, and the ability of a cellphone to fit easily in a front pocket, are compelling features to me, and I lament them gradually going away.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

i swipe from the left edge of the screen, like i do with just about every other app. works for me. :shrug:

Except when it doesn't, because so many modern apps are made with poo poo cross-platform frameworks.

Apple should have died on that hill IMO.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sorry for your loss?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Double tap the home button (without clicking or anything just touch it) and it will slide the top half of the screen down to the bottom half.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Double tap the home button (without clicking or anything just touch it) and it will slide the top half of the screen down to the bottom half.

Original SE doesn't have reachability :(

sleepwalkers posted:

This is good to know though, despite definitely being inconsistent (does work in Awful and running app, doesn't work in Slack and fanty football app)

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 7, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FCKGW posted:

I held an iPhone 5 recently and it was certainly smaller and easier to hold. It felt nice in the hand and I wondered if there was a niche for smaller phones like this. Then I turned it on and tried to use the web or any modern app and it was just such a chore and a frustrating experience.

For a very large percentage of the population the cell phone is their primary computing device and for that usage screen size is king.

gently caress you.

sleepwalkers posted:

ah yes, the thing where i say "reachability exists" alongside the other completely benign navigation methods that are designed to reduce the amount of time someone has to reach to the top of the screen is both "pretty Apple" and making it out to be "some kind of Brilliant Apple UI Design Decision."
i've said multiple times i genuinely need to get to the top of the screen are pretty minimal at this point, largely chalked up to the back gesture being nigh universal and incredibly useful at this point. i'm not attempting to be preachy, i'm basing my thoughts and reactions off my experience using an iphone, where i rarely feel like i'm somehow handcuffed by the size of my device.

now this, though... i'm not sure this makes much sense to me. the only media subscription service that apple could say "big screen == more better" launched five whole years after apple made the first "plus" model phone. hell, apple resisted doing it for years! (also i'm not sure if this is the assertion, but android manufacturers weren't doing it to sell media subscriptions either, they didn't have any to sell.)

The browser's bar is on the top. A fuckload of apps put the menu button on the top. Needing to reach the top - or for that matter, the left third on Plus devices - does routinely happen.

Bigger screens to smaller screens to bigger screens has happened several times and the cycle will come back, I just have to find something that works until then.

Of course, my constant yelling about accessibility, grip, one-handed use and so on and so forth probably reveal the big reason I have for loathing Apple's genuinely lovely design - I do not have two hands (not one I can use a phone with anyway). Though their phones do not need to be this thin for anyone's comfort, and stop loving making it all out of soap.

... which makes it funny I get a lot less shattered glass than the fully able family members. Probably mostly because I always add a case I mod for grip.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

endlessmonotony posted:

gently caress you.

The browser's bar is on the top. A fuckload of apps put the menu button on the top. Needing to reach the top - or for that matter, the left third on Plus devices - does routinely happen.

Bigger screens to smaller screens to bigger screens has happened several times and the cycle will come back, I just have to find something that works until then.

Of course, my constant yelling about accessibility, grip, one-handed use and so on and so forth probably reveal the big reason I have for loathing Apple's genuinely lovely design - I do not have two hands (not one I can use a phone with anyway). Though their phones do not need to be this thin for anyone's comfort, and stop loving making it all out of soap.

... which makes it funny I get a lot less shattered glass than the fully able family members. Probably mostly because I always add a case I mod for grip.

This is a perfect post/av combo.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah Chrome on Android had a good flag settings to make all navigation at the bottom of the screen, but made some weird regressions with it a few months ago so that it's now only mostly possible. That'd be nice to have as an option for any browser on any phone.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Weedle posted:

my extremely tiny mother just upgraded from a 5c to an se and she loves it. it is fine

5c... iPhone SE...

c... SE- :aaa:

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I've decided to hold on to my SE1 until the 12 range comes out. If this rumoured 5.4" phone with an iPhone 4-esque body materialises, I'm buying that on launch day anyway.

Mister Facetious posted:

5c... iPhone SE...

c... SE- :aaa:

The last few years have proven they name their products with a Markov chain text generator using only a single poop emoji as the source document.

Horace fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 7, 2020

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

silence_kit posted:

My girlfriend has a 7 and she has literally zero issues or complaints with using her phone all the dang time. She has much smaller hands than me too.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Apple and Google get a cut from all app sales and subscriptions initiated on their platforms, not just first-party services they provide.

android manufacturers != google, and apple is currently taking a slice of zero netflix or hulu subscriptions.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

For me I think it’s just sad that with cell phones being a market that encompasses such a large % of the planet at this point, that there is such little diversity in the market.

Like, I’m Small Phone Crew and still miss the design of my 5s. I get that I’m in the minority here, but it seems to be enough of the giant pie that they could make us a slice, too.

Like, the vast vast majority of the world doesn’t really want to drive a Jeep and Jeeps don’t make sense for their use case, but yet the company exists and the world hasn’t collapsed because there are more that 10 choices in the automobile market. I feel like there are at least as many smallphone people in the cell market as there are Jeep people in the car market, so what gives? :iiaca:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well, you're not basing that on anything other than your personal feelings, so maybe that slice of the pie really isn't that big at all? It's not an apt comparison because of how it was hamstrung but I wonder how the Palm companion phone sold on Verizon.

Von Bonez
Apr 13, 2012

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

For me I think it’s just sad that with cell phones being a market that encompasses such a large % of the planet at this point, that there is such little diversity in the market.

Like, I’m Small Phone Crew and still miss the design of my 5s. I get that I’m in the minority here, but it seems to be enough of the giant pie that they could make us a slice, too.

Like, the vast vast majority of the world doesn’t really want to drive a Jeep and Jeeps don’t make sense for their use case, but yet the company exists and the world hasn’t collapsed because there are more that 10 choices in the automobile market. I feel like there are at least as many smallphone people in the cell market as there are Jeep people in the car market, so what gives? :iiaca:

FCA probably isn't the company you want to be using to make that argument. They also sell a ton of Jeeps compared to their other vehicles.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah, it’s too bad. I don’t really think that small phones are as wildly unpopular as posters in this thread claim. The old iPhone SE sold pretty well I thought. They aren’t the most popular, but I thought they had a niche.

It is traditionally Very Apple to insist that there is only one Right Design and it is the Apple Design, but in this case this kind of Apple-y reasoning is being applied to a product design which has annoying drawbacks, IMO. (Also, it is being used for a type of design where Apple blatantly copied Android.)

Traditionally Apple was very good about this kind of thing. Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave if he saw that Apple was exclusively selling phones where many people deem it necessary to buy gaudy glue on plastic knobs to attach to the phone to be able to hold onto their phone without dropping it on the ground. IMO, and I suspect in Steve’s opinion, the presence of that popular accessory would have been an indictment of the new iPhone designs.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a way to make the iPhone just silence calls on do not disturb instead of ignoring them?