Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Moo the cow posted:

I now understand the appeal of a Zoom call with a shirt on top and underwear-only below the waist.

We all enjoy those zoom calls
:wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Maybe I'm too cynical even for this thread, but I think corporate memory is measured in nanoseconds -- the moment we have a vaccine (or even an appreciable reduction in infections) is the moment the majority of employers will have us back in the pens, same as in the Before Times.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Great, summer hours are still going to happen, even though we are working from home. Knock off at lunch time on Friday* if you make up the time on other days.

*I am never able to do this due to weekly meetings with a 9 hour time difference that I have to present at.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Trabant posted:

Maybe I'm too cynical even for this thread, but I think corporate memory is measured in nanoseconds -- the moment we have a vaccine (or even an appreciable reduction in infections) is the moment the majority of employers will have us back in the pens, same as in the Before Times.

Oh for sure, when everyone is vaccinated I imagine things will go more or less to how they were, but at least it seems like most places are being reasonably smart about what to do to get there.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Somebody in this meeting just used the word "solutioneering."

fakedit: holy poo poo it's a real word. They might've even used it correctly, too.

quote:

Solutioneering is the term used to describe the act of working up a solution prior to really understanding the problem that solution is set to solve.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hoodwinker posted:

Thanks, I hate it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

quote:

Solutioneering is the term used to describe the act of working up a solution prior to really understanding the problem that solution is set to solve.

Synonyms:
  • Bullshit
  • Waste of time
  • Inevitable Re-Work

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I N N O V A T I O N

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm surprised I haven't heard "solutioneering" from the CEO of my parent company yet

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hoodwinker posted:

fakedit: holy poo poo it's a real word. They might've even used it correctly, too.

drat, I was hoping it was a portmanteau of "solution" and "privateer" :yarr:

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Hoodwinker posted:

Like gently caress it is. Don't like poo poo like this stand or we will all drown in made-up bullshit.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Moo the cow posted:

Like gently caress it is. Don't like poo poo like this stand or we will all drown in made-up bullshit.

Try harder, nerd.

It's a perfect description of corporate bullshit. It stays.

Your own unwillingness to accept value from things that aren't expressly allowed by the institution show that the corporate brainworms have eaten too far into your central nervous system for you to be saved.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 7, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

the dictionary doesn't matter, if people use a word, it is a word

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Yeet yourself out of this thread, poster Moo the cow.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Hoodwinker posted:

Try harder, nerd.

It's a perfect description of corporate bullshit. It stays.

Your own unwillingness to accept value from things that aren't expressly allowed by the institution show that the corporate brainworms have eaten too far into your central nervous system for you to be saved.

Did you see who the citation was?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Moo the cow posted:

Did you see who the citation was?
If you think this embiggens your point, you're wrong.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
Wall to wall meetings today as we’re working up to kicking off a new project :suicide:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Hoodwinker posted:

Everyone gets out of sorts when I use that one, I double down then.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
Today I learned there are still honest-to-god prescriptivists in the wild. Thanks, corporate megathread.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just got an email, all of engineering is back in the office on the 18th. :negative:

Of course the more useless people still get to work from home.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Trabant posted:

My company opened the office on Monday - technically after the state's stay-at-home order was lifted, but they announced they were opening the office before it was announced the order wouldn't be extended. The CEO's a massive chud who's been downplaying the virus since February.

It's currently optional but some people have definitely been pressured to go in depending on the shittiness of their managers. They laid out a bunch of rules (only specific teams on specific days, take your temperature, wear a mask when talking to anyone, maintain 6 feet distance) but from what I've heard from people who got pressured into going in that poo poo all went out the window at approximately 9:01 Monday morning.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Hoodwinker posted:

Your word use game is on fleek.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

My boss gave me yet another ASAP drop anything assignment, I pushed back about not planning more than 48 hours ahead, he took back the work and said he'd just do it himself, and I drafted an email to our boss the next level up about it. I'm debating what I even want to happen or just start applying to jobs in my growing field with lots of remote positions available.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol bosses sent out an invite that was just a reference to getting back into the office and a conference link

Later someone realized it was a good idea to clarify that they were not even considering having anyone back in until July and even then it would be a fraction of full staffing, all assuming there's some kind of dropoff in infections/deaths.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hoodwinker posted:

I'm in this definition and I don't like it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My company instituted a 10% paycut til december for most folks due to anticipated business slowdown from the ‘rona and then about a week later announced record fy20q4 profits and a dividend a lot larger than what was expected. People are fuckin pissed.

I’m sure there is some bullshit business guy excuse for why but it’s a pretty lovely move regardless.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

priznat posted:

My company instituted a 10% paycut til december for most folks due to anticipated business slowdown from the ‘rona and then about a week later announced record fy20q4 profits and a dividend a lot larger than what was expected. People are fuckin pissed.

I’m sure there is some bullshit business guy excuse for why but it’s a pretty lovely move regardless.

The excuse is “gently caress you, got mine,” which really should replace “In God We Trust” as the motto of the United States.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

priznat posted:

It's just an excuse so the executives can add to their bonus.

At my job merit raises were postponed in April and will be "reevaluated" in June. It's bad enough they didn't give us a bonus because the other divisions sunk while we swam.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Cutting wages to enrich shareholders is a high priority for any for-profit business and COVID-19 gave them the excuse

Midjack posted:

The excuse is “gently caress you, got mine,” which really should replace “In God We Trust” as the motto of the United States.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Maybe a good time to start talking to your coworkers about unionizing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
we got our ppp money and in an effort to make most of it as grants we restored any salary deferrals to anyone making under $100k and we are upping the 401(k) match to an absurd degree. (dollar for dollar up to 20% of salary)

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

we got our ppp money and in an effort to make most of it as grants we restored any salary deferrals to anyone making under $100k

Nice

quote:

and we are upping the 401(k) match to an absurd degree. (dollar for dollar up to 20% of salary)

I'm so loving jealous rn

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thanatosian posted:

:lol: this is america dummy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cacafuego posted:

Nice
I'm so loving jealous rn

its like 1 month only on the latter but w/e they are trying to get everyone to do it. free $2 grand ill take it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

I’m super in for that but sadly most engineers are way too brokebrain to unionize even while being crushed under the wheel of rampant capitalism.

There is a lot of pushback to HR now though and an all hands for my division that was scheduled for monday got pushed back to next friday probably so they can get their stories/excuses all ready to deploy in response to firey nerd rage.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I’m super in for that but sadly most engineers are way too brokebrain to unionize even while being crushed under the wheel of rampant capitalism.

There is a lot of pushback to HR now though and an all hands for my division that was scheduled for monday got pushed back to next friday probably so they can get their stories/excuses all ready to deploy in response to firey nerd rage.

But... but... think of the shareholders!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

But... but... think of the shareholders!

I’m almost positive the CEO will come back with some drivel about how employees own a substantial number of shares* and how this actually benefits the employees!

*majority of employee owned shares being the upper level executives of course but not mentioned.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Too brokebrain to unionize, yet still fiercely protective of the benefits that come with professional licensing. And if engineers unionized, they couldn't complain about and feel superior to union workers anymore. What are they, blue collar?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its like 1 month only on the latter but w/e they are trying to get everyone to do it. free $2 grand ill take it.

so how does this work? obviously the company benefits in some way by having people contribute to the 401k, otherwise they would not encourage something that just requires them to pay out more matching during a pandemic. my company does a regular 401k match and they frequently highlight it in a way that suggests it is of some value to the company for us to contribute. so i'd like to suggest this to them, but how does the company benefit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

More employee money available to embezzle and/or pump stocks for c-levels when they lean on whoever is running the plan.