Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006
Does anyone have experience with the PSIO? I'm playing D and ejecting the disc to load the second disk doesn't seem to work. The screen flashes for a second and then it still tells me to insert the second disk. I'm pretty sure the files are set up correctly. This is the only multi disc game I've tried since it only takes 10 minutes to get through the disc if you know the puzzles. Anyone have any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hah, I totally thought the v2 had save states, oops. The more expensive option does look better in that case.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah that’s a killer feature for me then. I cheated out on my gba cart and the delay on saves drives me nuts and it sucks when I forget to give it the 5 seconds it needs to save. Usually have to fiddle with the sd card from my pc.

Fwiw, I have the v2 and hitting reset to save is a complete nonissue. You only ever have to do it when you change carts/turn off the console so it is really no big deal at all to hit reset before powering off.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

if you're calling me out, note that in my first reply i said it might be placebo or a poor setup

No call-outs of anyone in particular. Just in general that is not something I can do without some kind of training.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've been playing Bokosuka Wars for the past hour and half and I got killed by the guy right next to the final boss who beat the 2% odds to one shot my king. Bokosuka Wars is the X-Com of early Famicom games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Now play the sequel.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Karasu Tengu posted:

Now play the sequel.

I saw that a sequel existed and it's definitely one of those, "Why?" moments.

Also, I've become certain that the third stage in Super Arabian is impossible to beat.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Rinkles posted:

I remember even the PS3 remasters had to rip out some visual effects.
That happened semi-frequently with ports and remasters of PS2 games, because the way the PS2 handled some of the effects was pretty unique and difficult to get right on other platforms even if they were more powerful on paper.

Sometimes the target hardware was able to handle the effects without tanking the performance, but other times the developers changed things around a bit in a way that was subtle enough for most players not to notice (e.g. the effect of Snake's cloaking device deactivating in the MGS2 intro is different in the HD Collection).

Then there were those times they made extremely noticeable changes like in the PC ports of Silent Hill 2 and 3 where the fog effect and shadows had to be toned down, or in the ports of GTA San Andreas where all the post-processing effects are basically absent... or the original Xbox and PC ports of MGS2 which had all sorts of problems.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 7, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Waldo138 posted:

Does anyone have experience with the PSIO? I'm playing D and ejecting the disc to load the second disk doesn't seem to work. The screen flashes for a second and then it still tells me to insert the second disk. I'm pretty sure the files are set up correctly. This is the only multi disc game I've tried since it only takes 10 minutes to get through the disc if you know the puzzles. Anyone have any ideas?

When you select the game in the PSIO menu and press uhhh O (?) for details. Does it list multidisc.lst as present? If so, check and make sure the images are named correctly (paths, filenames, etc) and match the multidisc.lst file.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

katkillad2 posted:

Double Dribble was one of the first few NES games I played and the slam dunk cut scene blew my young mind. The manual that came with this FDS game is surprisingly nice, it's like a tiny bound book.

The manuals for FDS games are usually quite nice. I love thumbing through them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just bumped into what has to be the worst 3rd party N64 pad. I can't imagine what it feels like to try and play with that center... grip?... for any length of time.

Kinda want to order one just for laughs.

edit: Just ordered a Brawler64 and an official expansion pak, which I found pretty cheap on an Aussie retro store site. I think my 64's just about set.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 7, 2020

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
That controller is the visual representation of how everybody who has never played an N64 before believes an N64 controller is held and operated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just bumped into what has to be the worst 3rd party N64 pad. I can't imagine what it feels like to try and play with that center... grip?... for any length of time.

At the very least you could do pretty well at Mischief Makers with that thing.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

UnkleBoB posted:

The box art for Back Bass II is even better. When shipping prices are better I'll pick up a boxed copy of it (sadly, my collecting habits are to only collect CIB copies of things at this point. Ugh)

I definitely played that PC bass game, but I can't remember the name of it. I'll have to dig through my floppies and see if I can find it. Wasted a lot of time with it.

I have two games that are missing in action with no updates for a month. I know that they'll eventually arrive (I hope), but I'm getting worried. Binary Land and Super Werewolf Chronicle Warwolf. Really wanted that Warwolf.

somebody needs to make that an Exorcist 3 poster.

Anyway my j4u box came the other day, but I haven't cracked it open yet. I'm contemplating one more order but shipping went up a bit, so I'll have to think about it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: Just ordered a Brawler64 and an official expansion pak, which I found pretty cheap on an Aussie retro store site. I think my 64's just about set.

I think that controller is for the one person who wanted to get good at Mace: The Dark Age

Come to think of it, I don't remember ever seeing a single fight stick for the n64. At least none of my friends or I owned one.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Pretty good posted:

My money's on the EB devs and blockbuster marketing people having coincidentally pulled the same sample from a commercial sound library.

It's almost certainly this

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

When you select the game in the PSIO menu and press uhhh O (?) for details. Does it list multidisc.lst as present? If so, check and make sure the images are named correctly (paths, filenames, etc) and match the multidisc.lst file.

Yeah it reads it as there is a multidisc.lst and that it's a multi disc game

My files are set up like this:

D (USA) (Disc 1).bin
D (USA) (Disc 1).cu2
D (USA) (Disc 1).cue
D (USA) (Disc 2).bin
D (USA) (Disc 2).cu2
D (USA) (Disc 2).cue
D (USA) (Disc 3).bin
D (USA) (Disc 3).cu2
D (USA) (Disc 3).cue
MULTIDISC.LST

My multidisc.lst is set up like this:
D (USA) (Disc 1).bin
D (USA) (Disc 2).bin
D (USA) (Disc 3).bin

One weird thing is that instead of being able to select different discs on the disc select menu it just reads it all like one long file name like this: "D (USA) (Disc 1).binD (USA) (Disc 2).binD (USA) (Disc 3).bin"

The game has no saves and you're supposed to play through it in one sitting so I don't know if that's why it does that. Plus, if I take the sd card out to mess with stuff on my computer I have a 90% chance of having some sort of error when I start up the PSIO again. Strangely enough, if I plug it back into my computer then back into the PSIO again it works fine again every time.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Latest haul from j4u

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Follow up on my broken Pokémon Silver cartridge for anyone who was interested. I finally had time to remove the excess solder and remove the battery, but didn’t have any luck getting the cart to work after doing so.

As a last ditch effort, I trie to re-flow some of the chip connections but that did not seem to do anything. I ended up getting another OEM cart that works fine, so this one is going into the junk pile. I might keep it for a display piece on my desk but I think I’m done trying to fix it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

That's a shame, I managed to resurrect my old copy of Red years back by reflowing the pads on the 2 big chips on the bottom half, but in my case the game wouldn't boot at all prior to doing that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
my copy of gold worked fine when i tested it a few months ago, except of course the battery had died

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Follow up on my broken Pokémon Silver cartridge for anyone who was interested. I finally had time to remove the excess solder and remove the battery, but didn’t have any luck getting the cart to work after doing so.

As a last ditch effort, I trie to re-flow some of the chip connections but that did not seem to do anything. I ended up getting another OEM cart that works fine, so this one is going into the junk pile. I might keep it for a display piece on my desk but I think I’m done trying to fix it.

Yeah, from what you described it's probably the SRAM memory chip getting fried. I was hoping it was regular corruption, but that's what it comes down to now. I took about thirty seconds to see if there was an easy source for replacement SRAM and if you wanted to spend a lot of effort on experimenting with this, you might be able to do it. At this point, it would only be worth doing that to prove it could be done.

On the positive side, with the excess solder removed, I can see the PCB itself is in perfect shape!

Ambitious Spider posted:

Latest haul from j4u

I haven't been able to make any progress in Astro Boy so good luck with that.

Also, the first game you have to clear there will definitely be Paris-Dakar Rally.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, from what you described it's probably the SRAM memory chip getting fried. I was hoping it was regular corruption, but that's what it comes down to now. I took about thirty seconds to see if there was an easy source for replacement SRAM and if you wanted to spend a lot of effort on experimenting with this, you might be able to do it. At this point, it would only be worth doing that to prove it could be done.

On the positive side, with the excess solder removed, I can see the PCB itself is in perfect shape!

Also, the first game you have to clear there will definitely be Paris-Dakar Rally.

I might look into an SRAM replacement at some point down the road, but yeah at this point I just don’t care enough to continue. Thanks for the idea though! Who knows, maybe I’ll be bored this weekend and change my mind

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I think that controller is for the one person who wanted to get good at Mace: The Dark Age

Come to think of it, I don't remember ever seeing a single fight stick for the n64. At least none of my friends or I owned one.

There were a couple.

The Mad Catz one actually used microswitches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLs19HXQkLQ&t=1263s

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 7, 2020

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG2AXbYDHBs

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Waldo138 posted:

Yeah it reads it as there is a multidisc.lst and that it's a multi disc game

My files are set up like this:

D (USA) (Disc 1).bin
D (USA) (Disc 1).cu2
D (USA) (Disc 1).cue
D (USA) (Disc 2).bin
D (USA) (Disc 2).cu2
D (USA) (Disc 2).cue
D (USA) (Disc 3).bin
D (USA) (Disc 3).cu2
D (USA) (Disc 3).cue
MULTIDISC.LST

My multidisc.lst is set up like this:
D (USA) (Disc 1).bin
D (USA) (Disc 2).bin
D (USA) (Disc 3).bin

One weird thing is that instead of being able to select different discs on the disc select menu it just reads it all like one long file name like this: "D (USA) (Disc 1).binD (USA) (Disc 2).binD (USA) (Disc 3).bin"

The game has no saves and you're supposed to play through it in one sitting so I don't know if that's why it does that. Plus, if I take the sd card out to mess with stuff on my computer I have a 90% chance of having some sort of error when I start up the PSIO again. Strangely enough, if I plug it back into my computer then back into the PSIO again it works fine again every time.

Can you confirm you have line breaks in the multidsc.lst? The bit where you mention it shows a long file name doesn't sound right and makes me think the file is formatted incorrectly.

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Can you confirm you have line breaks in the multidsc.lst? The bit where you mention it shows a long file name doesn't sound right and makes me think the file is formatted incorrectly.

Here's what it looks like.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Waldo138 posted:

Here's what it looks like.

And there's no 4th line after the entries?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Maybe try a different text editor?

I’ve had issues with Macs using a different line break character than Windows, so if you open that in Windows it’ll be all one line. That could be screwing it up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Does it have to be in DOS newline or unix newline is fine?
e: f,b

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There was before, but I did remove that without any luck. This was actually a set from everyone's favorite place to get things, so I was hoping it would just work.

TVs Ian posted:

Maybe try a different text editor?

I've had issues with Macs using a different line break character than Windows, so if you open that in Windows it'll be all one line. That could be screwing it up.

To be honest I'm seriously looking into getting some dirt cheap PC to take care of stuff like this. It's very annoying finding Mac workarounds for most of this stuff.

I do appreciate the help from you guys.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ow, my head

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Waldo138 posted:

There was before, but I did remove that without any luck. This was actually a set from everyone's favorite place to get things, so I was hoping it would just work.

To be honest I'm seriously looking into getting some dirt cheap PC to take care of stuff like this. It's very annoying finding Mac workarounds for most of this stuff.

I do appreciate the help from you guys.

You can grab something like TextWrangler or SublimeText. No PC needed, just need to change the charset if that's the case, but I can't fully say that's the problem considering what the manual says if it was wrong you wouldn't even see the file at all:

PSIO Manual posted:

If for some reason the file refuses to be detected in the Menu System and/or is causing the system to freeze, ensure that a “CR + LF” (line feed + carriage return) exists at the end of the ‘MULTIDISC.LST’ file. This is an advanced technicality, so the details of how to do it will not be explained here. However, to avoid such a problem, the file should be created and saved in the ‘ANSI’ format and not ‘UNICODE’.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yessss managed to score an appointment at this electronics recycling/reuse center in brooklyn, that is going out of business. From the pics I see like 10+ pvm and some bvms. Some ikegamis too! My mind is running wild thinking of how many I can fit into my jeep liberty for 300-400 bucks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kazvall posted:

Yessss managed to score an appointment at this electronics recycling/reuse center in brooklyn, that is going out of business. From the pics I see like 10+ pvm and some bvms. Some ikegamis too! My mind is running wild thinking of how many I can fit into my jeep liberty for 300-400 bucks.

Fit ALL OF THEM, make multiple trips

Unrelatedly, I found this in my basement, completely forgot I had it. It seems like it would be really cool if not for those drat A/B buttons and their placement

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

My pc is down and I'd like to link picks somehow and get some eagle eyes. I will be grabbing any L5 I see on sight and then trickle down from there, then filling in space with 8 inch models and such.

Is this viewable? facebook album

I am not one to get excited and I fully expect anything good to be gone or sniped by employees however with the sheer volume I am bound to walk away with someone at 600+ line count.

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can grab something like TextWrangler or SublimeText. No PC needed, just need to change the charset if that's the case, but I can't fully say that's the problem considering what the manual says if it was wrong you wouldn't even see the file at all:

Success! I had both of those text programs already so I tried out TextWrangler. I formatted the file a few different ways until using Windows/Unicode showed some promise. I was able to select each disc like you're supposed to. Then... the disc swap worked! Thanks, man!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kazvall posted:

My pc is down and I'd like to link picks somehow and get some eagle eyes. I will be grabbing any L5 I see on sight and then trickle down from there, then filling in space with 8 inch models and such.

Is this viewable? facebook album

I am not one to get excited and I fully expect anything good to be gone or sniped by employees however with the sheer volume I am bound to walk away with someone at 600+ line count.

I think PVM's are still enough of a niche thing that they won't automatically be taken. CRT anything makes anyone but us retronerds turn up their noses. You're going to get a haul.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

I guess I shouldn’t go in expecting GBA astroboy quality than.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ambitious Spider posted:

I guess I shouldn’t go in expecting GBA astroboy quality than.

To be frank very few games reach that level of quality, it's a very solid contender for best GBA game that isn't a port or remake of a game from another system