Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

baka kaba posted:

lol I like how "war rhetoric" :umberto: gets translated into ARE FINEST WAR
I mean they know their audience

Would it be weird to ask 'who is Umberto'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

XMNN posted:

I will never understand people who hate wind turbines and think they ruin views, they've got an eerie alien beauty even before you account for the fact they're saving the planet

also the Wirral has the prettiest sunsets on earth imho/fight me

We've got 10-12 or so land ones scattered around sheppey, and an off-shore farm just visible between the two sets of sea forts. I like them :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Umberto Eco, most famous for the "thus by the continual shifting of the rhetorical focus the enemy is portrayed as both weak and strong" thing, referring to how fascists characterise their enemies. Simultaneously destroying the world but unable to stand up to the proper moral, martial, and racial character of the fascist ideology.

Very applicable because it comes up an awful lot in conservative writing, where social degeneracy or whatever is gonna destroy western civilization but you can fight it by watching our news program, being a good christian, and hating the right people. Which coincidentally are things you already want to do. Fancy that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 7, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
not sure STOP THE BOATS! resonates as well in the UK as Australia, but I suppose Farage is casting around for a new slogan to pass the time now

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bloodly posted:

Would it be weird to ask 'who is Umberto'?

this virus is a WAR, a HIDDEN ENEMY, it wants to destroy the GREAT british and american people! but we are STRONK and will PREVAIL for FREEDOM, if we all WORK TOGETHER and SUPPORT ARE LEADERS against THOSE PEOPLE whose fault this all is

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ronya posted:

not sure STOP THE BOATS! resonates as well in the UK as Australia, but I suppose Farage is casting around for a new slogan to pass the time now

He's struggling to scream for airtime given that Brexit is happening, and he's always got to keep the greasy grift going.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

sinky posted:

Does he ever do interviews that aren't behind a paywall?

Der Stürmer supports journalism! :eng101:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't that pretty normal? I thought that's what the emergency stockpiles were, basically. They take the expired stuff and hang onto it for a bit cos it probably still mostly works.

10 years seems a bit weird though. I guess you could just about blame the last labour government for it though lol.

Respirators don't really 'go bad'. There's a nominal shelf life of 10 years on them because of some rules I honestly can't remember that have a lot more to do with there being no guarantee on storage conditions than the masks themselves.

They don't stop working and it's pretty common to have out of date stuff in stockpiles as it can be purchased much cheaper.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/bengoldacre/status/1258378643979620353

BAME people more at risk *even when accounting for all other risks associated with BAME populations* and smokers being safer than never-smokers being safer than ex-smokers are probably the weirdest takeaways from this.

e: corrected the order of risk for smokers.

I still wonder how they get around the idea that lots of these risk factors are disproportionately represented amongst the elderly, and its impossible to then determine which precise things contributed to mortality.

If you have ten people, 5 of them over 50 and all with heart disease, infect them all with a disease that is proven to be more deadly to those over 50, and 7 of them die, you can hardly extrapolate that heart disease presents a 70% mortality rate for those who get it.

I'm sure that they have tried to account for this, but it just seems a huge statistical minefield especially with data collected under such uncontrolled conditions.

In any case, real weird about smokers!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Does the n = 0.95 confidence interval apply for every measure? Because there's, what, 50 on that chart? You would expect at least a couple to not be totally accurate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

They're both islands populated by racists who think they're the original inhabitants despite speaking English.

serious gaylord posted:

Respirators don't really 'go bad'.

ThomasPaine posted:

I've heard competing theories that it's either the nicotine or that it's the smoke making your lungs inhospitable to the virus.

The results of the nicotine patch test should be very interesting, because I don't think "one weird trick, protect your lungs from covids by knackering them" is very helpful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought the idea was that it obviously makes you more at risk if you catch it because your lungs are hosed but that something about it seems to prevent people from catching it at all. Either behaviourally or whatever.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Just saw a graph of polling for the past three years and realised I'd forgotten all about Change UK. What a wild ride that was.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I thought the idea was that it obviously makes you more at risk if you catch it because your lungs are hosed but that something about it seems to prevent people from catching it at all. Either behaviourally or whatever.
We don't appear to have much proof yet, but it appears that something about tobacco consumption reduces the chances of the SARS-CoV-2 virus either successfully replicating or turning into COVID, but if it does you have a higher chance of it going into full blown ARDS.

Unless they do a differential with snus users in Sweden it's going to be hard to know what that is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's 2020, all drugs are suppositories now.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
This dipshit clappy time goes on longer every week christ

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
You do your clapclaps and you enjoy it or you get the hose :mad:

I just remembered that wee lad hitting the bin with the cricket bat and laughed at it again a bit. I think if i had to choose one thing that encapsulates the zeitgeist in this country atm it'd be that

crispix fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 7, 2020

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Had some premature clappers around here that were going off before the time. I think overall the first time round was the strongest, since then only some enthusiasts are going for it properly.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

MV Oceana looks a lot bigger when it's in a dinky port

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Failed Imagineer posted:

just hope it doesn't end like this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876923&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post490678783

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

bionic vapour boy posted:

This dipshit clappy time goes on longer every week christ

Round here it's evolved into 'every street having that one guy who blares out You Raise Me Up and Fight Song and Angels for a full 10 mins' while everyone else politely stands around for the duration as to not offend'.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Failed Imagineer posted:

can't wait to shove insulin suppositories up my rear end at the dinner table while daring someone to say something

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

hope everyone remembed their weekly brainwashing for the NHS. gotta make sure that the population believes the NHS is some kind of army fighting the coronavirus on the beaches so that when they die they "nobly sacrificed themselves for freedom" rather than "died of a preventable illness becuase of government inaction, incompetence, and frankly, malaise"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Suppositories are a gateway dildo :catstare:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

hope everyone remembed their weekly brainwashing for the NHS. gotta make sure that the population believes the NHS is some kind of army fighting the coronavirus on the beaches so that when they die they "nobly sacrificed themselves for freedom" rather than "died of a preventable illness becuase of government inaction, incompetence, and frankly, malaise"

I've been trying come up with a way of articulating this to my generally well-intentioned but liberal parents. It certainly does feel like it's preparing the ground to write losses off as the heroic and unavoidable sacrifice of martyrs at a time of crisis, while allowing those complaining to be immediately accused of disrespect. It seems to be at once a weaponisation of the NHS and a process of hollowing it out though abstraction. I'm kind of thinking aloud here but something is sitting real uneasy with me about it all.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The contact tracing app has not detected enough clapping at 8pm

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/freddiehickman_/status/1258475914071093250

Forensic.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Inherent physical distancing because nobody likes the smell of old smoke on your clothes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

ThomasPaine posted:

can't wait to shove insulin suppositories up my rear end at the dinner table while daring someone to say something
Shove a whole pancreas up there. That's called biohacking.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

I've been trying come up with a way of articulating this to my generally well-intentioned but liberal parents. It certainly does feel like it's preparing the ground to write losses off as the heroic and unavoidable sacrifice of martyrs at a time of crisis, while allowing those complaining to be immediately accused of disrespect. It seems to be at once a weaponisation of the NHS and a process of hollowing it out though abstraction. I'm kind of thinking aloud here but something is sitting real uneasy with me about it all.

Don't contradict, elaborate. They want to clap and show support, well the NHS and carehomes staff need adequate PPE and staff levels, maybe chant something in support of that as well while clapping?

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

ThomasPaine posted:

I still wonder how they get around the idea that lots of these risk factors are disproportionately represented amongst the elderly, and its impossible to then determine which precise things contributed to mortality.

If you have ten people, 5 of them over 50 and all with heart disease, infect them all with a disease that is proven to be more deadly to those over 50, and 7 of them die, you can hardly extrapolate that heart disease presents a 70% mortality rate for those who get it.

I'm sure that they have tried to account for this, but it just seems a huge statistical minefield especially with data collected under such uncontrolled conditions.

Absent a causal graph, this type of analysis is extremely prone to Simpson's Paradox, ie totally loving useless for solving problems

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The interesting thing to me is that smokers in general, as well as the actual health problems that smoking cause, tend to be more at risk of catching any bugs going round simply because the actual act of smoking (putting your hand next to/touching your face repeatedly) increases your chances of infection. This suggests that the protective action - whatever it is - is actually even stronger than the stats suggest. If the nicotine patch trial goes nowhere, it might also be interesting to compare it to ambient pollution levels (controlled for social factors that tend to go along with living in polluted areas obviously) to see if it might be something to do with irritation of the lungs, or even carbon monoxide levels in the blood.

Anyway here's my theory - smokers are making more trips out of the house (to buy fags, and often to smoke them) but otherwise are more socially distanced (both from going out for a fag, and because they're all so damned cool that people are intimidated by us - erm, them), meaning that they're being exposed to very small amounts of the virus and are actually being effectively vaccinated.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Does anyone else feel like that lockdown is slowly ebbing away?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Ash Crimson posted:

Considering the number of people I have to dodge to and from work, this started 5 weeks ago.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Our initial lockdown was poo poo, you can see this because we reached a plateau rather than a curve. Rather than shutting down enough activity to cause the R0 to drop well below zero and so stop the spread enough to allow largescale testing and tracing to manage the remaining cases we've instead shut down enough of the economy to stabilise the spread of the virus at fairly constant plateau - it'll keep spreading at the current rate (or thereabouts) until enough people are dead or immune that the R0 gradually shrinks as it runs out of fresh targets. So there were still way too many people out doing things to ever stop the virus and opening anything up again will simply increase the spread again because not enough of us have been infected already and we have no way of tracking or controlling it.

Relaxing anything at this point is basically murderous, relaxing anything without an adequate tracking and tracing system in place is neglient at best.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Ash Crimson posted:

it definitely feels like it's getting a lot busier out and about when I go down the park, and some people are starting to be less respectful of personal space. Might just be confirmation bias, and I think most people were fairly good about it. Did see some things like two women and a man walking together (all like mid-40s) , dunno if they've got a polycule situation going on or just don't give a poo poo.

good thing we haven't got a sunny bank holiday weekend coming up and the government didn't anonymously brief the newspapers to tell everyone that the lockdown is over on monday!

sorry, I mean "completely accidentally give the newspapers the impression they would end the lockdown on monday", they would never anonymously brief fragmentary public health advice to the papers as that would be dangerously irresponsible at the best of times, let alone in the middle of a pandemic

namesake posted:

Our initial lockdown was poo poo, you can see this because we reached a plateau rather than a curve. Rather than shutting down enough activity to cause the R0 to drop well below zero and so stop the spread enough to allow largescale testing and tracing to manage the remaining cases we've instead shut down enough of the economy to stabilise the spread of the virus at fairly constant plateau - it'll keep spreading at the current rate (or thereabouts) until enough people are dead or immune that the R0 gradually shrinks as it runs out of fresh targets. So there were still way too many people out doing things to ever stop the virus and opening anything up again will simply increase the spread again because not enough of us have been infected already and we have no way of tracking or controlling it.

Relaxing anything at this point is basically murderous, relaxing anything without an adequate tracking and tracing system in place is neglient at best.

Yeah, it's ridiculous and it will kill people. The government will be gung ho on opening the blood gates, gently caress you and die for the economy, peasants, up until they remember that there is no "save the economy" option which is why we did the lockdown in the first place. Then we can have a few weeks of "lockdown" before repeating the process again

I do wonder if the multiple waves hypothesis has become a bit of a self-fulfilling prediction. They've convinced themselves its inevitable regardless of our choices, so we can't stay locked down until the whole thing goes away, so we open up as soon as possible after each lockdown, so we get more waves

XMNN fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 7, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The most boring possible answer to the smokers not catching it thing is that people lie to doctors. When in hospital for a lung ailment and asked if they're a smoker they say 'no' out of embaresment.

if nicotine does make the virus less hospitable for the lungs though I wonder what that means for vapers.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

massive spider posted:

if nicotine does make the virus less hospitable for the lungs though I wonder what that means for vapers.

It means they become more insufferable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Amazingly the aerosolized virus cannot compete with massive amounts of red berry flavouring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

If smoking protects your lungs from it but means you're hosed if you do get it, then you would think the mortality would remain high on the chart on account of those protected never getting it and as a result not being incorporated into the analysis.