Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
When I was a kid, my older brother really wanted to pierce his ear. Dad kept telling him no because he'd look like a queer. Funny thing, I was young enough that I didn't understand that word as slur, but in context I guess I kinda understood its original meaning.. so when dad held mom's diamond clip-on earrings up to his ears and openly mocked my brother at the dinner table by asking how he looked, I really was not expecting him to slap the everloving poo poo out of me for proudly exclaiming that he looked queer. :geno:

Ironically, out of three kids, my brother is the only one that isn't queer. And the only one that's maintained any semblance of contact with dad over the last 15 years. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020
When I was in Kindergarten there was a boy there that taught me saying gently caress off is what you say when you don't want to do something. That afternoon I was watching cartoons when my mum came in and asked me to go put my school bag away in my room, I just said gently caress off, she then asked me what did I say and I said gently caress off. Next thing I know I got smacked so hard i went rolling across the lounge room sat up in tears sobbing uncontrollably asking why she hit me. She then explained to me what it meant and why I was never allowed to say that also asked who told me about it and needless to say she was never a fan of that boy after that and he certainly didn't get birthday invites haha.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Man, that's one hell of an overreaction for a kid saying something it clearly doesn't understand the meaning of. Big WTF to your mum there, ought to be ashamed.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

Cardiovorax posted:

Man, that's one hell of an overreaction for a kid saying something it clearly doesn't understand the meaning of. Big WTF to your mum there, ought to be ashamed.

My mum was hard on us we got smacked I don't begrudge her for that. She was the smack first ask questions later type, never unless it was needed. I grew up fine, don't have any underlying issues and I have a great relationship with her. She never held onto it after we got our smack it was done. As I grew up I much preferred it to dad who gave us the silent treatment instead I hated that so much more.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hitting little children is hosed up and disgusting, sorry. I have no respect for that at all.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

Cardiovorax posted:

Hitting little children is hosed up and disgusting, sorry. I have no respect for that at all.

Hey that's fair mate, everyone has a right to their opinion and view. Different times I suppose. I've never smacked my son who's 8 now, I might raise my voice or sit him down and talk to him about the problem. Everyone parents differently.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Deacon91 posted:

Everyone parents differently.

Hitting kids is abuse, not a "different parenting method".

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Deacon91 posted:

Hey that's fair mate, everyone has a right to their opinion and view. Different times I suppose. I've never smacked my son who's 8 now, I might raise my voice or sit him down and talk to him about the problem. Everyone parents differently.
Yeah, sorry, maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but that kind of thing just really gets to me. Family history and stuff. When people say "my mom smacked me and I grew up fine" it always just makes me think that it's great for them that they got through that kind of thing without feeling like they took any permanent damage from it, but a lot of people don't.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Alhazred posted:

This. There have literally been studies that show it causes long lasting psychological trauma.

Defending it is horrifying and Big Yikes :yikes:

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

Alhazred posted:

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, sorry, maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but that kind of thing just really gets to me. Family history and stuff. When people say "my mom smacked me and I grew up fine" it always just makes me think that it's great for them that they got through that kind of thing without feeling like they took any permanent damage from it, but a lot of people don't.

Yeah I understand your viewpoint don't get me wrong, I just didn't want to derail the thread, that's why I left it at different times I suppose. Those were the days when teachers were allowed to use rulers on students and kids got their hands smacked for writing left handed. I don't condone it but for the lack of something better to say that's just the way it was and no one batted an eye about it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Deacon91 posted:

Those were the days when teachers were allowed to use rulers on students and kids got their hands smacked for writing left handed. I don't condone it but for the lack of something better to say that's just the way it was and no one batted an eye about it.
I know what you're talking about, yeah.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
In order to end this derail, I offer Korean Calvin and Hobbes, vintage goodness from 2014:

Korean Kid Komix

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

In order to end this derail, I offer Korean Calvin and Hobbes, vintage goodness from 2014:

Korean Kid Komix

I love these.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kim Jung Eun is unkind indeed.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Kim Jung Eun is unkind indeed.

That's my favorite one!

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My nephew has been feeling bad because it's been raining a lot and he wants to play on his new playground set. His solution?
"We can build tunnels from the house to get to the playground so we won't get wet."
"How will we stop from getting wet on the playground then?"
"Build a new house on top of the playground."

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

Hardwood Floor posted:

My nephew has been feeling bad because it's been raining a lot and he wants to play on his new playground set. His solution?
"We can build tunnels from the house to get to the playground so we won't get wet."

Haha excellent, love the way kids think

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Hardwood Floor posted:

Kid's got it figured out..

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Roof the playground, stay dry while you're playing. Seems legit.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Cardiovorax posted:

Roof the playground, stay dry while you're playing. Seems legit.

This is actually a thing. My wife and I took an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon. One of the stops was in Ketchikan, which is the wettest city in North America. It rains something like 270 days a year. Anyway, we took a bus tour of the city and saw an elementary school up on stilts with the playground underneath so the kids can actually run around outside.

edit: Not Ketchikan, and not under a school, but this is a covered playground in Alaska.

Sorry about the link because I suck and can't post pics for some reason.

https://images.app.goo.gl/XwZ8kM233BKqtSiS8

BigBallChunkyTime has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Apr 22, 2020

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/chick_in_kiev/status/1254916103064752129?s=20

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My cousin and I made up insane songs all the time. There was one called "Shish kabob a bob bob" that is STILL guaranteed to drive my uncle batshit if you mention it, probably because the only lyrics were "shish kabob a bob bob" and "yora gora stink blink" a

yoooooooooo this blew my fuckin mind because the phrase "yora gora stink blink" was fuckin familiar to me and i am Not your cousin

went down a google hole & found a 20-year-old thread on the Straight Dope where it was determined that it's from a story from Highlights Magazine March 1992 but i can't find the issue online

goddamn. just goddamn. yora gora stink blink

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/KidsWriteJokes/status/1255225541738860546

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Butts are funny. Just sayin'

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Butts are funny. Just sayin'

Both of these are the only true things I have read today!

InediblePenguin posted:

yoooooooooo this blew my fuckin mind because the phrase "yora gora stink blink" was fuckin familiar to me and i am Not your cousin

went down a google hole & found a 20-year-old thread on the Straight Dope where it was determined that it's from a story from Highlights Magazine March 1992 but i can't find the issue online

goddamn. just goddamn. yora gora stink blink

I gasped out loud in real life because you are absolutely right. I have a mental image of the illustration, too!

Goofus 4 lyfe

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Apr 30, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Gotta say I laughed at it

Here's a great one from my 14 year old kid.

Me: did you do your homework?
Him: Yes.

:roflolmao:

He is grounded af because he can't school

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"I drink apple juice all the time because it's beer for kids!"

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
"Aunt Hopes! How you get your nails done?!?"

My sister drove by and I said hello from the sidewalk. I painted them myself, but my sister usually has them done. Even the 5 year old knows the nail salons are closed!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/KatecBowler/status/1245513302828089345

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
This kid is going places.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I always thought the same as a kid, too, but I was grateful because I have always disliked cake. At birthday parties, I would swap my cake for other kids' unwanted frosting (no, I do not appear to have developed diabetes yet)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Why does it not surprise me that the Bruenigs’ child is also an exhausting Debate Club type?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/lisarieffel/status/1256599946226102272?s=21

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This is the kind of childhood creativity that makes other parents look at you weirdly.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
searching for "i wonder what's inside your butthole remix" on youtube is surprisingly safe

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Video chatting with one of my students today. We were reading a book together that had like super corny jokes in it, like where it shows you the setup and then you have to turn the book upside down to read the answer.

:kiddo: Oh, oh, Mrs. Bravo, can I tell you a joke I made up?
:) : Sure ! Let's hear it
:kiddo: What did... one sun say to the other sun?
:) : Hmmm, uhhhh, I don't know! What did it say?
:kiddo: You.... uh.... (prolonged pause) I forget how it goes.
:) : Haha ok no problem, let me know if you remember it
:kiddo: Oh oh I remember it now. What did one sun say to the other sun?
You..... look.... exhausted.... Sorry, it's not that good.

He followed up with a second non-joke, and then a third joke that actually had a punchline and was thus my least favorite of the bunch but was still pretty good

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"Eyelashes always betray us."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/1258905395025850369

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My three-year-old niece today refused to consider the big trampoline her dad wants to buy. When asked why she didn't want it she explained she was concerned it would bounce her to the moon. After some interrogation she sighed, "I just don't want to go up there, okay?"

Okay.