Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Oh I know, it's just a testament to its failure that that's all we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rinkles posted:

Oh I know, it's just a testament to its failure that that's all we got.

I would argue that "access to the entirety of Final Fantasy's classic library, on the go" is a pretty good deal and well beyond "that's all we got," but if you've already played all of those and are looking for something more, then I can definitely understand the disappointment.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Takoluka posted:

I would argue that "access to the entirety of Final Fantasy's classic library, on the go" is a pretty good deal and well beyond "that's all we got," but if you've already played all of those and are looking for something more, then I can definitely understand the disappointment.

"that's all we got" was referring to the vita native titles. the vita's a great old game machine.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ahh, I gotcha. Honestly, I attribute the lack of FF games on the Vita to general SE laziness. If the Switch can get a good version of the 12 remaster, the Vita could’ve gotten an okay one. Outside of that, what’s other FF games even happened? Explorers on 3DS? Do we count Bravely Default?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I guess you're actually right, 3DS didn't get much more FF love, though like you said, there were other big square projects like BD and it did get an exclusive.

FFXII no doubt didn't get ported cause at that point it wasn't worth their while.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It's the lack of Type-0 in non-japan regions that hurts most.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thranguy posted:

oh wow i never realized (or forgot) there was a vita version in japan. googling, i don't see a translation patch, like for cathrine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

as a byproduct, i learned that there are english patches for the vita versions of the trails games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaqI4wIqNiM

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Thranguy posted:

I keep forgetting that game exists, despite bringing it up in a conversation with friends two days ago.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thranguy posted:

Rinkles posted:

oh wow i never realized (or forgot) there was a vita version in japan. googling, i don't see a translation patch, like for cathrine.

i think i misunderstood, because i can't find any evidence of a japanese vita version. (i presume you were talking about the original psp version)

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

There was a fan patch for type 0, but it was released around the same time Squenix announced the HD remaster back in 2014 (ie it's not a port of the official tl) and was retired soon after for the obvious reasons. So :filez:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I think it's a misunderstanding. They didn't bother with a Vita version since the PSP one was backwards compatible, and then they didn't release that one in the West.

Dang, the years haven't been kind to that game now that I think about it. I even liked it when I played the remaster in 2015 or 2016, but I just realized I'd never go back and play it again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I think it's a misunderstanding. They didn't bother with a Vita version since the PSP one was backwards compatible, and then they didn't release that one in the West.

Dang, the years haven't been kind to that game now that I think about it. I even liked it when I played the remaster in 2015 or 2016, but I just realized I'd never go back and play it again.

it seemed like it had some neat ideas. i was thinking of picking up the ps4 version if it was ever in impulse buy range.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Since I'm already spamming the thread today, P4 Golden is $8 this week on the US PSN

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
10 best definitely include:

Uncharted
Tearaway
Persona
Virtue's Last Reward
Danganrompa

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there any way to get a trigger grip for a Vita Slim in 2020 at non-scalper prices?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there any way to get a trigger grip for a Vita Slim in 2020 at non-scalper prices?

Check AliExpress or something but the vita is long out of production so practically nobody is making stuff for it anymore.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Here's the one I use, plus a couple others on Amazon when searching "vita slim grip".

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
gotta mention soul sacrifice delta because it was a fun hunting game if a bit simplistic at the endgame, but with a shitload of style and a very very good soundtrack.

it got pretty good support with a ton of extra content too.

I sorta hope this wasn't the last we've heard of the franchise and get something more on the almost-gaas side like MHW

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I beat Soul Sacrifice Delta but I never feel like I really enjoyed it. It felt like every battle was taking forever, and there was little feedback on why - even using weaknesses and such I could barely tell which powers were stronger/better than others, if I was even hitting the weakpoints I was supposed to target, etc. I really wanted to like it, and kept picking it up to do all the extra missions, but it always stymied me.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

I beat Soul Sacrifice Delta but I never feel like I really enjoyed it. It felt like every battle was taking forever, and there was little feedback on why - even using weaknesses and such I could barely tell which powers were stronger/better than others, if I was even hitting the weakpoints I was supposed to target, etc. I really wanted to like it, and kept picking it up to do all the extra missions, but it always stymied me.

My experience was the opposite. I figured out that neutral melee weapons just lasted forever, coupled with the neutral stone armor that made you ignore hitstun just made me a blender that obliterated monsters way too fast. Then the new combo of neutral spears+dig ability allowed you to constantly do super safe jump attacks, coupled with a new neutral armor made things even easier. I just had to grind a bit for some of the obscene damage boost tattoos and things got even easier. For me the game suffered with being too easy to exploit/little to no strategy required.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

We might get a somewhat functional N64 emulator in the not too distant future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOvqL2vLwKQ

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
It's already out, ain't it?

Edit:
https://github.com/Rinnegatamante/DaedalusX64-vitaGL/releases

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 5, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It is out. I tried it with a few games and it works ok. Very much a beta work in progress at this point.

Apparently it plays SM64 nearly perfectly.

San Francisco Rush, not so perfectly :smith:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

web browser psn store continues to suck for finding sales

There's actually a lot on sale right now, persona 4, tokyo xanadu, shiren, and a bunch of other rpgs

Anyone want to recommend Shiren The Wanderer? I've never played a mystery dungeon game. It's $12.

Doesn't look "somewhat functional" outside super mario 64, and even that isn't in a state that I'd want to play it in. But apparently the co-creator expects full or near full speed emulation on a lot of titles eventually.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Vita Shiren is one of the best Mystery Dungeon games but that doesn't guarantee you're going to like that style of gameplay and it's very complex. The (optional) tutorials alone last hours though they're mostly for more advanced techniques.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Well I mean, it CAN be complex, but compared to your average PC roguelike it's still on the simpler side. It's a great game with a gigantic amount of content though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rinkles posted:

We might get a somewhat functional N64 emulator in the not too distant future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOvqL2vLwKQ

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It is out. I tried it with a few games and it works ok. Very much a beta work in progress at this point.

Apparently it plays SM64 nearly perfectly.

San Francisco Rush, not so perfectly :smith:

So version 0.2 of this emulator just released tonight. It promised big performance increases, and man does it ever deliver!

SF Rush went from nearly unplayable to almost indistinguishable from the console. It matches the console frame rate as well. People are saying SM64 is nearly flawless.

This is a huge jump in quality in just one release!

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/genudp/release_daedalus_x64_v02_huge_performance_boost/

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Completely unrelated to the deluge of hardware and software data that leaked related to Nintendo consoles, including the N64, I'm sure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Annath posted:

Completely unrelated to the deluge of hardware and software data that leaked related to Nintendo consoles, including the N64, I'm sure.

almost certainly, yes, it's unrelated.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno, take the data that’s available to you and make the emulators better is my thought.

I’d be much more on Nintendo’s side if they would ever quit acting like the N64 doesn’t exist. They never made a classic n64 mini, they haven’t put n64 games up on the online service. Hell, other companies have been releasing ports of their N64 games lately (Turok, doom64, etc) in lieu of Nintendo actually getting off their asses.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Annath posted:

correct, it's completely unrelated. this was in the works way before that ever happened, and no emulator author would be willing to include nintendo copyrighted code in their work for fear of being instantly bankrupted by Nintendo's angry lawyers.

the leaks are awesome from a historical perspective and it's ridiculous that this kind of thing needs to be leaked, but it's not really going to affect the emulation scene like you think it might.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You could buy N64 games on gamecube, Wii and Wii U. They'll probably add them to switch at some point.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The Vita Shiren is one of the best Mystery Dungeon games but that doesn't guarantee you're going to like that style of gameplay and it's very complex. The (optional) tutorials alone last hours though they're mostly for more advanced techniques.

Thank you for this, I've been wanting to play more games like this since I blitzed through the Unlosing Ranger. Though the game is kicking my rear end atm, I'm still enjoying it a lot.

Those optional tutorials are kinda annoying though, giving you items till you can't carry any more and I didn't find the bank to store them till the next town.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I decided to hack my vita tv out of curiosity. It went pretty well and when I was done I thought I'd do my old Vita, as well. I was going to format it and was looking to see what was installed and noticed PSX and PSP games. This led me to thinking: why did I put adrenaline on the TV? If the Vita can already run PSP and PSX stuff, why put an extra layer on there?

What am I missing?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

let's you run any psp or ps1 iso (ps1 needs to be converted to eboot) or psp homebrew, has good screen scaling options, let's you save state (it's a bit slow), some ps1 games can use a turbo mode (think the toggle is L + select)

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

And not all psx games are on psn

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

for that matter, there's even psp games that were taken down, psp games without digital versions, stuff that was never localized etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sony remembers :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/1265755904009482241