Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I've put hundreds of hours into this game and I've never even tried to get to the spaceship. Usually I just get a colony to a point of relatively stable self-sufficiency and then save it and never come back to it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I never bothered with the ship until installing SOS2. God drat I cant believe how well they captured exactly what I've wanted since B16 :allears:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

SexyBlindfold posted:

🤔 what's y'all's standard setup for your kitchen/dining room/ main living area, specially during the early game?

This is my last mountain base layout that I've been iterating upon since launch:

Early game, I start out in planning mode with the 15 x 15 area that will eventually be my "finished goods/trade beacon" warehouse and turn that into a mini-base until I get more colonists. Then I start mining out to the north and build an actual barracks/entertainment room/dining hall (it's more efficient if you don't have doors in between these areas because they then share the same wealth/size/beauty stats but still act like discrete rooms and contribute their own impressiveness moodlet). When I start getting noble colonists who demand their own bedrooms, I build out individual rooms to the west and leave the barracks for guests for the Hospitality mod.

The only thing I'd do differently here is swap the location of my freezer and the cooking/research area just to minimize tracking of filth into the sterile area. I'd also make the throne room area a lot smaller, but this was before the update that allowed multiple thrones to be in one throne room and I had already hewn it out.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the accusations that my colony has been mulching the bodies of raiders into genetic slime to create abominations are totally unfounded

please ignore the chickenspider

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the accusations that my colony has been mulching the bodies of raiders into genetic slime to create abominations are totally unfounded

please ignore the chickenspider

I'm mainly focused on the fact that each bathroom has a direct air vent to someone else's bedroom :itwaspoo:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Danaru posted:

I'm mainly focused on the fact that each bathroom has a direct air vent to someone else's bedroom :itwaspoo:

yeah i designed that bedroom layout before i installed the hygiene mod and was not smart enough to rearrange things to make there not be poo vents

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the shame cupboard does normally have a vent on it, it's just normally back into the owner's room :v:

For reference though you don't need to make shame cupboards in private bedrooms, just link the shitter to the bed and it'll only be used by the occupant, and couples don't mind watching each other poo poo.

(the one on the right does need a sink though otherwise that person's gonna get sick a lot)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

For reference though you don't need to make shame cupboards in private bedrooms, just link the shitter to the bed and it'll only be used by the occupant, and couples don't mind watching each other poo poo.

I've seen some awfully constructed vacation homes with this design in mind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The voyeurism shitter or the venting into the adjacent room?

IRL of course it makes sense to put it in a cupboard if it's not in a bathroom but the habit of doing it even within the bathroom I think is region specific, I know americans do it sometimes. In rimworld though I just make the bedroom open plan and put a bath/sink/crapper in one corner and maybe tile it for looks.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the shame cupboard does normally have a vent on it, it's just normally back into the owner's room :v:

(the one on the right does need a sink though otherwise that person's gonna get sick a lot)

huh thats good to know, thank you! and yeah that room used to have a sink but the occupant smashed it off in a fit of rage one time and I forgot to replace it. i have a shower block with a hot tub in it that seems to keep everyone pretty clean but i should fit sinks anyway.

i have the vents between rooms to try and split the heat loss from bedroom door openings, cause it gets extremely cold in the tundra.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am curious why you have two large radiators and a space heater though. Even with very inefficient insulation (which you have there with the freestanding buildings) you should probably only need a small radiator. I heat my whole base with like four large ones positioned in the main spaces.

If you're looking to keep warm then insulation is really important, you want to minimise exterior wall and door contact with the outside and double wall your buildings against the outside where possible.

You can also grab the dubs skylights mod if you want as they create a greenhouse effect if you enclose the space you install them in. Good for lighting and heating that way.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 8, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I am curious why you have two large radiators and a space heater though. Even with very inefficient insulation (which you have there with the freestanding buildings) you should probably only need a small radiator. I heat my whole base with like four large ones positioned in the main spaces.

If you're looking to keep warm then insulation is really important, you want to minimise exterior wall and door contact with the outside and double wall your buildings against the outside where possible.

You can also grab the dubs skylights mod if you want as they create a greenhouse effect if you enclose the space you install them in. Good for lighting and heating that way.

i think i hosed up the boiler or something because the rooms were still getting cold

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Radiators are a bit weird in that they only really turn on when the boiler is on, and the boiler turns on and off in response to either the thermostat or the hot water tank getting empty.

If you want to create central heating it's a lot like real life in that you need to put thermostats where want to set the ambient temperature, so they work much better for centralized locations and the whole system turns on and off at the same time, so you want to try to make sure your heat distributes well and evenly across your base.

So you either want a thermostat in the coldest of those rooms (which would be one of the outermost ones with the most exterior walls) or to move towards a complex rather than individual buildings.

The plus side is that the gas boiler especially is very efficient at producing heat and works when the electric is off. Also solar heaters work very well for cold days that aren't well below freezing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 8, 2020

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

somehow I didn't pick up that you need to build thermostats. :cripes:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have yet to have a problem adding an A/C unit and a radiator in every single room. It always keeps it at 70F no matter what. This is with a log boiler and a hot water tank in zones that get down to -20F at the lowest. I don’t know what thermostats would do if I were to build them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anticheese posted:

somehow I didn't pick up that you need to build thermostats. :cripes:

Yeah it's literally a model of an actual central heating system, radiators aren't smart that's why they don't cost components, they're big hot lumps of rock and metal that you run water from the boiler to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jokes posted:

I have yet to have a problem adding an A/C unit and a radiator in every single room. It always keeps it at 70F no matter what. This is with a log boiler and a hot water tank in zones that get down to -20F at the lowest. I don’t know what thermostats would do if I were to build them.

They absolutely will work without a thermostat, and will heat things up to about 22C if running constantly

The thing is that requires you to have the boiler always turned on (or rely on bursts of heat when it tries to refill the tanks) which works but uses a lot of fuel/power that you don't need to use. A thermostat turns off the boiler if the room is above temperature, which means it won't run in the summer, and also lets you adjust the temperature down to something like 18C which is plenty warm enough and combined with the residual heat that stays in the radiators for a while, lets you get maximum efficiency.

Log boilers I don't think can be controlled by thermostat and use a shitload of wood so if you can keep it going that's fine but if you're strapped for resources you want to be more economical, especailly with the gas and electric boilers. But if you're using a log boiler that explains why you don't need a thermostat cos the thing's always running full blast.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 8, 2020

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

lmao

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

More like Iron Brew :haw:

edit: oh that's the root of the original name, lol

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 9, 2020

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Think of it as a bit like a Scottish red bull and you won't be too wrong!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Some motherfuckers from the pirate faction broke into my base when too many of my defenders were on a combat mission. I killed 2 out of 3 groups with what I had, but it happened during a solar flare so my turrets were offline. The group that made it in took two stacks of components and all of my gold.

This won't stop the raids but turning their nearest base into ashes is going to make me feel good at least :evilbuddy:

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Would anyone recommend a particular mod collection for QOL features?

Played a bit into one game with base game and figured I'd check before starting a 2nd.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Alright I'm officially over Rimworld of Magic. Fun for a while but it is so bloated with useless stuff and bad art it's taking away more than it's adding.

But Vanilla Furnure Expanded - Power is on my must have List from now on. It feels like a genuine extension of the base game and works exactly how you want it to work.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Priority Hauling has been the most soothing OCD related mod I've downloaded. Double click the mass of veggies that were harvested on the ground, hit the hotkey, no messing with work priorities.

I made a giant snake head for my base entrance. I'm thinking flame thrower turrets between the fangs, gunner perches and turrets in the mouth. Any bright ideas for this theme? Once I get the main base set I'll expand with hydra theming and more heads. On my phone ATM, I'll share a screenshot later.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Manager Hoyden posted:

Alright I'm officially over Rimworld of Magic. Fun for a while but it is so bloated with useless stuff and bad art it's taking away more than it's adding.

But Vanilla Furnure Expanded - Power is on my must have List from now on. It feels like a genuine extension of the base game and works exactly how you want it to work.

Power had some optimization problems initially, were those fixed?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I know the gas system still doesn't work properly.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

im back on the pawnmorpher bullshit and the colony's resident rear end in a top hat has started so many social fights with the naga that he just developed dementia from repeated toxin buildup

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Danaru posted:

I never bothered with the ship until installing SOS2. God drat I cant believe how well they captured exactly what I've wanted since B16 :allears:

Is this mod stable? It seemed so ambitious I expected it to be pretty rough

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

This is my first modded game after an easy vanilla victory, going for themed building to get out of rectangle land comfort zone. Could probably use a different tiling material to make the tongue stand out more, slate and granite are what is available on the map and I got sandstone blocks from a trader so I used them to be "unique." Gotta dry out the mud and make full roads, wall everything off so it's the proper entrance, set up some window openings for gunners and turrets, etc. Aside from taming a bunch of snakes I wonder what else I could do to match the theme. Want to avoid killboxs for now.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Doomykins posted:

This is my first modded game after an easy vanilla victory, going for themed building to get out of rectangle land comfort zone. Could probably use a different tiling material to make the tongue stand out more, slate and granite are what is available on the map and I got sandstone blocks from a trader so I used them to be "unique." Gotta dry out the mud and make full roads, wall everything off so it's the proper entrance, set up some window openings for gunners and turrets, etc. Aside from taming a bunch of snakes I wonder what else I could do to match the theme. Want to avoid killboxs for now.

The first stop out of your comfort zone was a sideways goatse?

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
So my first game ever just managed to make me rage quit for the first time ever in a game. Year 1 just made it into winter and bam: Cold Snap -12c outside then bam solar flare within 1 day knocking out my heating AND then bam! man-eating guinea pigs took out all 3 of my pawns, Talk about not being able to make any mistakes in the early game

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Beccara posted:

So my first game ever just managed to make me rage quit for the first time ever in a game. Year 1 just made it into winter and bam: Cold Snap -12c outside then bam solar flare within 1 day knocking out my heating AND then bam! man-eating guinea pigs took out all 3 of my pawns, Talk about not being able to make any mistakes in the early game

What difficulty setting were you on?

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

showbiz_liz posted:

What difficulty setting were you on?

The 2nd to lowest one, Cassandra Classic, Builder

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

The first stop out of your comfort zone was a sideways goatse?

I don't see it. Went with a big snake head. Could always adjust the art and try again, base is pretty stable atm. Rectangles are in the south and they don't fail you, but they do run together after awhile.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Honestly, my first thought was that you were imitating a gate layout from Kenshi.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Plek posted:

Honestly, my first thought was that you were imitating a gate layout from Kenshi.

im glad to see i'm not the only one brain poisoned by kenshi enough to have seen that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I love how the vanilla expanded ergonomic bed gets up to 200% rest effectivness when you make a legendary one lol. The couple I assigned it to only sleep like three hours a night.

Really want to see what the spacer tech bed can get to.

Only downside is they sleep so little they actually operate on like a 22 hour day so it's kind hard to get them to stick to a 24 hour schedule.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Beccara posted:

That's kinda part of the game, sometimes life sucks and a rampaging herd of man-eating guinea pigs ruins you. Which...is now a story you will probably remember forever cause man, what a way to go. Periodic saves and you can restart from not too long ago if you really want but even with a complete loss of all your pawns it's possible to recover. Put time on fast forward and you may get a custom event that lets you start over. Hell some people even just keep going on fast forward until someone randomly recruits themselves to the ruined wasteland of death, destruction and guinea pigs then go from there. Or if you really want pop on dev mode and put in one brand new pawn. Someone all hosed up and running from raiders or something stumbles across their salvation...if they can clean up a few guinea pigs and corpses.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Beccara posted:

Most people want to fight the encounters but you can just huddle inside and animals won't try to break in unless you waited to the last minute and they targeted someone while still outside, and then you light a campfire in there to ride out solar flare. The game even tells you that sticking inside is an option when the manhunter event spawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there a way to upload a colonist to the Android Tiers skymind besides installing a vx2 chip in each colonist? I'm screwing around with uploading my big rear end colony into the cloud but 1 chip per colonist is expensive. I need a brain scanning machine.