Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

IMJack posted:

If Allison has to return to her homeworld and reveal herself to the public, it's probably because Mottom's army is coming to collect her tithe. Or has already shown up.

Allison knocking a floating city out of the air with a burning spear of lightning would be pretty obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pseudorandom name posted:

Allison knocking a floating city out of the air with a burning spear of lightning would be pretty obvious.

these conquering armies have destroyed civilizations that developed nuclear arms

I don't think Allison is up to the task of repelling an invasion yet

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Who What Now posted:

I believe he meant those that survived him attacking them would be handsomely.

no, he said "if you want to win this round stand there and do nothing, but you can all attack me if you want" then pasted everyone who moved to attack in an instant. that was the whole point, to flex, and drive home that everyone better do what dad salami says.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

IMJack posted:

If Allison has to return to her homeworld and reveal herself to the public, it's probably because Mottom's army is coming to collect her tithe. Or has already shown up.

We already ended up with a brainworm invasion :(

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Invasion? I love our pal Gog-Agog!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Gog's worms make you happy and fun to be around. :colbert:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mimesweeper posted:

no, he said "if you want to win this round stand there and do nothing, but you can all attack me if you want" then pasted everyone who moved to attack in an instant. that was the whole point, to flex, and drive home that everyone better do what dad salami says.

And to recruit people tough enough to make it to that round, but smart enough to know when to stop.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mr. Lobe posted:

these conquering armies have destroyed civilizations that developed nuclear arms

Have they? Nothing the actual armies are carrying around seems all that impressive by modern standards and you'd think they'd have adopted some of it at some point.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Polaron posted:

Have they? Nothing the actual armies are carrying around seems all that impressive by modern standards and you'd think they'd have adopted some of it at some point.

This question was (sort of) answered on Tumblr:

quote:

Q: How can the Demiruges make sure no high technologies are introduced to Throne ? With the help of the Concordant Knights ? I mean, we're speaking of high-tech. Can't a gauss canon just rip an angel in two ? (okay, maybe an angel can avoid a gauss canon bullet, but still, you could invade Throne with a fleet of high-tech space dreadnoughts, with a power-armored infantry)

A: Complex technology tends to break down in the void, and is hard to keep together and repair in the field, due to the difficulty of supply lines running through space that could take a day or a week to cross the same distance (the void). Forces don’t even work the same from world to world sometimes.

More importantly, Throne itself has a population of 800 million. That’s more than two and a half times the population of the United States. Many of the beings living there would be considered supernatural monsters or demigods in our world and can bend reality. Bullets are trivial to them unless imbued with similar supernatural power.

On the occasion demiurges have run into worlds with high technology levels, they have had very little problem conquering them, for they are Royalty, and their breath is destruction. The technology is usually broken down or stripped for useful applications, except in the case of Jagganoth, who works very hard at improving it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Polaron posted:

Explicitly yes; the problem is that purely technological weapons lack the heat of Will so can be easily dispelled with any Art whatsoever. This means that a tank shell isn’t really more dangerous than a musket ball unless the person firing it can use the cannon like a part of themselves, including the shell. That’s why gun witches aren’t actually more dangerous than your average high-level swordsman, and Mottom’s armies include power armor but there’s no sign of cruise missiles.

Jagganoth’s foundry had tanks and such in it when we saw a wide shot; he’s been stated by Abaddon to be the demiurge most interested in weapons of war so if anyone is trying to make a nuke work in Universal War it’s him.

It’s also the case that the described mechanics of the void would make shipping enchanted muskets into Earth much easier than shipping enchanted AR-15s out of it, and it would only be a marginal improvement in power output for that reason.

E: the above lays it out.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 7, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jagganoth:"hm this world has learnt to split the very essence of creation to create energy using machines...admirable. lets strap 100 of these....nukes together"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jagganoth being the corporeal embodiment of a haymaker punch while simultaneously being intelligent as hell is nice

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Realistically, Solomon making two long-term self-sustaining fusion reactors is an achievement in nuclear technology MASSIVELY outstripping anything Earth is capable of doing on any arguable time scale.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mr. Lobe posted:

Even Solomon can't contain a Thirty Cubit Spear

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

On a good day, Allison probably has the ability to one-shot prime angels

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

There may not even be atoms in Throne, since everything is the Flame Immortal. Atoms are just a lie told by our creator-deity, and who’s to say every world got lied into being like that? Humans are more fundamental to the omniverse than atoms are.

Not to mention that the Art laughs at atoms already, and Allison can use it. The Black Art creates from nothing, after all.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kill Six Billion Demons: Don't Bring a Nuke to a God-Fight

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

Even Solomon can't contain a Thirty Cubit Spear

the thirty cubit spear didn't even kill its intended target, that was weaker than solomon

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Polaron posted:

Mottom (or even Cio) could render an entire planets nuclear arsenal disarmed with her red arts, midair.

Solomon can just punch a nuke. Hell he's punched two suns into a new location of the cosmos.

Jaganoth could probably personally tank infinite nukes.

Jadis would likely just make everybody involved in the launch chain go insane and turn on each other with some combination of future sight/lies

Mammon would either buy off the people with their hands on the buttons or just keep hiring mercenaries until the entire stockpile was consumed.

Incubus probably has ways to psychologically ensure they're never even launched, and if someone with strong willpower manages anyway he could literally cut the explosion.

Gog can just ignore them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No matter how formidable the resistance an unconquered world can muster, no matter how mighty its weapons, how sublime its arts, how strong the will of its defenders, in the end they are just one world against the combined resources of many. Any of the demiurges would rather destroy it than give it up, once they opened the door, and they are all able to.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

So far I'm really enjoying learning that Jagganoth really kind of has his poo poo together and a good education for an ex-child soldier with a history of being abused and depersonalized. I feel like he has a therapist. A very well paid and cherished therapist. All of the other Demiurges are some measure of dysfunctional and I would like it a lot of Jagganoth is like "oh. Hey. I've put a pot of tea on, let's talk politics" without any bigger flexing of kung-fu breathing bullshit.

"Allison Wanda Ruth...what's your personal technique for making a cup of chai."

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I mean based on what little we know his motivation is “I’ve reinvented suicide as a group activity” so his therapist must have really focused tunnel vision.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

You can have the wrong therapist/a bad therapist. :colbert:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

the thirty cubit spear didn't even kill its intended target, that was weaker than solomon

The Thirty Cubit Spear missed it's intended target.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Joe Slowboat posted:

I mean based on what little we know his motivation is “I’ve reinvented suicide as a group activity” so his therapist must have really focused tunnel vision.

Omnicide. Multiversicide? Omniversicide?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

M_Gargantua posted:

Everyone is already Gog.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Turns out that liberal brain worms where more literal than we thought.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hostile V posted:

"Allison Wanda Ruth...what's your personal technique for making a cup of chai."

"uhhh we just use the powdered chai in store"

"Universal War, it will start on earth, and it starts now."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

M_Gargantua posted:

Mottom (or even Cio) could render an entire planets nuclear arsenal disarmed with her red arts, midair.

Cio could barely handle some chainsaws on sticks, how's she gonna disarm multiple nukes that could just explode miles away and vaporize her with a shockwave?

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 8, 2020

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Cio could barely handle a couple chainsaws on sticks, how's she gonna disarm multiple nukes that could just explode miles away and vaporize her with a shockwave?

Nukes are not an extension of highly trained magic monk's wills.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Cio could barely handle some chainsaws on sticks, how's she gonna disarm multiple nukes that could just explode miles away and vaporize her with a shockwave?

Because there's an explicit framework in which chainsaws on sticks wielded by fanatics are genuinely more dangerous? Red Art protections can presumably protect from a blast wave, because physics isn't as real as the Art. The Red, White, and Black arts don't 'break' physics, they are prior to it.

Now, Cio might just not be able to handle an explosion if she doesn't get warned about it - the bombs in Yre hurt her. But if she had time to prepare, the metaphysics as described mean a Red Art protection trumps any number of nukes.

I imagine Abaddon won't put that into practice without significant build-up, of course, but it's explicitly the rules of the setting that demons trump non-magical, un-willed weapons.

(The secret would be to have Slim Pickens ride the bomb down, that might work)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ledgem posted:

Exactly

On the other hand Raven's motorcycle sidecar nuke from Snow Crash is an extension of a very angry mans will, that i'm sure a lot of inhabitants of throne would have a marginal problem with.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Ledgem posted:

So what you're saying is we need to develop a nuke-based martial art.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ledgem posted:

I'm gonna become a Sword Saint and cleave an Atomos, the uncuttable, in half just to prove this post wrong.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sounds like the Kill Six Billion Demons universe could use a Corwin of Amber.

Guns of Avalon owns.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThingOne posted:

If you can Cut a God, you can Cut an ato-:gibs:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sounds like the Kill Six Billion Demons universe could use a Corwin of Amber.

Guns of Avalon owns.

His name is Jagganoth.

Also they already did that and it managed a tie, Mottom’s army has guns. The setting just doesn’t bend over itself for the almighty rifle because that would be incredibly thematically uninteresting (compared to Amber where Early Modern gun tech upsetting feudalism is precisely on point, because Zelazny knew what he was about).

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ThingOne posted:

Angels are already nukes

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ledgem posted:

They really seemed more like a bunch of rabid fanatics than magic monks but idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

ThingOne posted:

Project Orion but with fists. Detonate a series of nukes in your elbow to propel your fists faster towards the target.

Still end up missing Solomon David.