Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

bewilderment posted:

He's sitting on top of a floating orb, there's art for it.

Bugenhagen has the only Float materia in the world and like hell is he not gonna show off with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, after much banging my head against that fight, I finally went in with Revive Earrings on everyone. Then it's just a matter of getting to Bahamut without the things breaking on Shiva or Fat Chocobo's Tonberries. Pummel him, wipe out Ifrit as quickly as you can when he pops, eat Megaflare. Die, come back, finish Bahamut off

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
tbh I beat the final top secret fight in one try because halfway through the fight it glitched out and stopped attacking me for a big chunk of time

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

does anyone know which version of Let the Battles Begin is used during the Behemoth Type-0 fight?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I just had an idea about resolving the whole Meteor crisis thing that involves Aerith not dying. What if in the case that she lives instead of calling up the lifestream to help divert meteor Aerith is able to converse with the WEAPONS and get all five to pull a Majora's Mask four giants scenario. That'd be one way of dealing with it without having to be immersed in the lifestream. And having Aerith be the kaiju whisperer seems like it'd be pretty drat awesome. I dunno thought it sounded neat in my head anyway. The struggle would be trying to get Shinra not to fire on them while they approach Midgar.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

My current big brain theory is that in order to remain true to the theme, Aerith cannot die. The original reason for her death was to show that it was meaningless and unexpected. If she dies again, it subverts the message of her death. It wouldn't be unexpected (because we're aware it has already happened before) and it wouldn't be meaningless (because it has been ordained by fate in order to save the Planet).

If she doesn't die and the story goes on as (somewhat) normal with no one replacing her, it proves that her death in the original truly was meaningless.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Just Andi Now posted:

My current big brain theory is that in order to remain true to the theme, Aerith cannot die. The original reason for her death was to show that it was meaningless and unexpected. If she dies again, it subverts the message of her death. It wouldn't be unexpected (because we're aware it has already happened before) and it wouldn't be meaningless (because it has been ordained by fate in order to save the Planet).

If she doesn't die and the story goes on as (somewhat) normal with no one replacing her, it proves that her death in the original truly was meaningless.

I feel like something has got to change because there's no more shock value attached to her death anymore and it's not going to hit the same note except as a nod to the original.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
While I want to see that happen I think most likely it'll just be a fakeout, like Cloud will block the initial Seph stab but then she'll die some other way 5 seconds later.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The theme song at the end going "This time I'll never let you go" really makes me think they're gonna let her live this time. It's kinda hosed up that I can't think of a particularly significant way this would change the story other than giving her dialogue, but a someone said earlier that's kind of the point.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Momomo posted:

The theme song at the end going "This time I'll never let you go" really makes me think they're gonna let her live this time. It's kinda hosed up that I can't think of a particularly significant way this would change the story other than giving her dialogue, but a someone said earlier that's kind of the point.

Man that song can be interpreted in so many different ways Aerith living being among them. But depending on the perspective of who's singing....A lot of characters die in FF7 so the meaning changes from person to person but if you want full creepy imagine it from Sephiroth's point of view. *shivers*

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 7, 2020

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Potential missed opportunity: any time you go through a chapter on Chapter Select and there's Stamp graffiti, it uses the Zack!Stamp instead of the OG.

Also I'm really not understanding why it is people keep calling Aerith's death in the original meaningless, when it's explicitly not. Bugenhagen straight out says that Holy can only be summoned by a soul that has returned to planet, and she basically saves the day at the end. Hell, IIRC characters are all like "We need to let Aeris's death not be vain!" or some such when they go kill to Sephiroth.

Killing her again would suck though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ace Transmuter posted:

Potential missed opportunity: any time you go through a chapter on Chapter Select and there's Stamp graffiti, it uses the Zack!Stamp instead of the OG.

Also I'm really not understanding why it is people keep calling Aerith's death in the original meaningless, when it's explicitly not. Bugenhagen straight out says that Holy can only be summoned by a soul that has returned to planet, and she basically saves the day at the end. Hell, IIRC characters are all like "We need to let Aeris's death not be vain!" or some such when they go kill to Sephiroth.

Uh when does he say that? She summons Holy right before she dies.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ace Transmuter posted:

Sure that's not localization fuckery? Because she'd already summoned holy before Sephiroth killed her. It's explicitly stated he was the one holding it back to prevent it from interfering with Meteor and Cloud defeating his consciousness in the lifestream allowed it to be set free, albeit too late.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

RatHat posted:

Uh when does he say that? She summons Holy right before she dies.

He says this when you take him to the Forgotten City near the end of Disc 2. I just replayed it.
No dead Aeris = No Holy, and definitely no help from the Lifestream
Again, I think she will still die, but the circumstances and the framing will be different. Because the alternative is that Meteor doesn't happen, which it definitely will. The tension they've introduced is the uncertainty of whether she'll bite it this time, and since we're probably gonna be ending the second game on a downer note, I imagine that our cheating destiny might amount to much the same result anyway.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Aerith dying again after all the poo poo they added in the first part of the remake would be a writing disaster that would make mass effect 3 and game of thrones look fantastic in comparison.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Her death is only "meaningless" in that she doesn't make a heroic sacrifice, and Sephiroth killed her basically to spite the party. That doesn't mean that her death didn't serve a specific narrative purpose. If that wasn't the case, then it would be lovely.
Sephiroth's ultimate inability to drive the party into despair through her loss basically refutes the control that he's had over people through their past traumas. Additionally, her spirituality means that he hosed himself over the moment he killed her. They probably couldn't have stopped Meteor without that.
The story works because Aeris dies, and it would not have worked the same way if they had swapped out anyone else in her place. Which is why the theories about Tifa getting it this time are stupid and fridge-y.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Beefstew posted:

He says this when you take him to the Forgotten City near the end of Disc 2. I just replayed it.
No dead Aeris = No Holy, and definitely no help from the Lifestream
Again, I think she will still die, but the circumstances and the framing will be different. Because the alternative is that Meteor doesn't happen, which it definitely will. The tension they've introduced is the uncertainty of whether she'll bite it this time, and since we're probably gonna be ending the second game on a downer note, I imagine that our cheating destiny might amount to much the same result anyway.

Assuming this script is complete and accurate to the original ENG version, I don't think Bugen says this explicitly? http://www.yinza.com/Fandom/Script/42.html

The closest I could find was:

quote:

Bugenhagen
Speak to the planet.
Get the White Materia... This will bond the Planet to humans.
Then speak to the planet.
If our wish reaches the planet, the White Materia will begin to glow a pale green.

Aerith spoke to the planet with her prayer, then she got skewered. Unless I'm missing something else, you could make a scenario where the crew knows what she has to do ahead of time and make sure she does it safely (and like, I dunno, make a lovely tower defense battle out of it).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Aerith dying again after all the poo poo they added in the first part of the remake would be a writing disaster that would make mass effect 3 and game of thrones look fantastic in comparison.

Killing anyone would suck because all of the main cast is just so drat likable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sephiroth didn't kill Aerith to gently caress with the party. He did it because he knew she was a credible threat. In Temple of the Ancients (which is the first proper meeting Seph and the main party have), he gets a good look at Aerith, realizes she might be trouble, and kills her at the next opportunity. (It's possible that he tries to kill her even earlier--right after Cloud gives him the black materia, Cloud starts physically beating Aerith, probably under Seph's control). Sephiroth says basically all of this to Cloud out loud in the dream Cloud has while unconscious after the events of Temple of the Ancients (this is the same dream where Aerith tells him she's gonna do something about meteor, don't worry she'll be fine).

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Jetfire posted:

Assuming this script is complete and accurate to the original ENG version, I don't think Bugen says this explicitly? http://www.yinza.com/Fandom/Script/42.html

The closest I could find was:

Aerith spoke to the planet with her prayer, then she got skewered. Unless I'm missing something else, you could make a scenario where the crew knows what she has to do ahead of time and make sure she does it safely (and like, I dunno, make a lovely tower defense battle out of it).

Third line:

Bugenhagen
"Holy... the ultimate White Magic. Magic that might stand against Meteor. Perhaps our last hope to save the planet from Meteor.
If a soul seeking Holy reaches the planet, it will appear.
Ho Ho Hooo.
Meteor, Weapon, everything will disappear.
Perhaps, even ourselves."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

if anyone hurts my sweet boy red xiii i will flip a table so hard it will crash through SE japan's headquarters and smush the writer responsible like the wicked witch of the west

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

They will set it up so that whatever character is your own personal favorite will die. Yes, this will force them to write around 9 possible deaths (or a lot more if you expand it outside of the party), and the game will therefore take 3 centuries to come out, but it will be worth it!

They will probably kill one or more characters that matter to you (they already killed plenty of characters that don't matter to you with the plate drop), and you will get emotional about it, and that's the point. They killed Aeristh in the original, they may or may not kill her here. you don't need to declare eternal vengeance against their descendants as a result.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Beefstew posted:

Third line:

Bugenhagen
"Holy... the ultimate White Magic. Magic that might stand against Meteor. Perhaps our last hope to save the planet from Meteor.
Ho Ho Hooo.

That could easily be read as "If a soul seeking Holy communicates with the Planet", not literally dying. Aerith can already communicate with the planet, she doesn't have to die to do it. Holy still happens because she can keep her soul intact after death, so it's a "lemonade out of lemons" situation.

If it were literally about dying, the phrase they normally use for that is "return to the Planet", not reach it.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
^^^ what they said.

Beefstew posted:

Third line:

Bugenhagen
Ho Ho Hooo.

Hmmm, that IS interesting. That still seems like there's enough wiggle room to reinterpret it, though.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Beefstew posted:

Third line:

Bugenhagen
Ho Ho Hooo.

Thought that was originally a prayer....also he literally says nothing about the person having to be dead.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

BaDandy posted:

That could easily be read as "If a soul seeking Holy communicates with the Planet", not literally dying. Aerith can already communicate with the planet, she doesn't have to die to do it. Holy still happens because she can keep her soul intact after death, so it's a "lemonade out of lemons" situation.

If it were literally about dying, the phrase they normally use for that is "return to the Planet", not reach it.

I can see how it could be read that way, but I'm not convinced.
Regardless, without Aeris' intercession via the Lifestream, Holy would have wiped out humanity at the end. The end result is the same.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Beefstew posted:

Regardless, without Aeris' intercession via the Lifestream, Holy would have wiped out humanity at the end. The end result is the same.

And either way, the Remake's a chance for them to clear up all of this language.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Third line:

Bugenhagen
Ho Ho Hooo.

FFVII's translation was so god-awful I'm not willing to say that it's not also just as likely that "reach" is figurative, like the planet has to accept/approve whoever casts Holy--you don't get to just summon it whenever

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like if we changed fate so far as to create an entire alternate timeline where Zack is alive, just killing Aerith as usual, even if they try to fake it out, would be pretty hack.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Codependent Poster posted:

You can kill Vincent though. Then for part 3 Rufus joins the party as the gunner.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Just Andi Now posted:

Bargaining is one of the stages of grief, pretty sure

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BaDandy posted:

Mostly Zack, but he does ask the question to Cloud because, you know, he's from Nibelheim.

I think it highlights how Cloud WANTED to be cool war buddies with him, in addition to the Zack thing, so he remembers Sephiroth trying to make small talk with him to be polite as a friend thing and not "Your boss was trying to be polite with you."

Personally, I find the fact that Sephiroth even tried to make small talk with a faceless Shinra grunt, and actually bothered to remember that they were visiting his hometown, to be pretty interesting. It's not like Sephiroth wanted to be aloof and isolated from everyone, he's just really super bad at it.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Beefstew posted:

She does that by asking the lifestream to intercede - which, as a Cetra, she can do while alive.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Clarste posted:

Personally, I find the fact that Sephiroth even tried to make small talk with a faceless Shinra grunt, and actually bothered to remember that they were visiting his hometown, to be pretty interesting. It's not like Sephiroth wanted to be aloof and isolated from everyone, he's just really super bad at it.

Yeah! It's endearing! It's a really good introduction to him because you can tell he's trying, but it's such a weird and confusing question.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Sephiroth did nothing wrong

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean if you think about it all Sephiroth's done so far is burn down Nibelheim (bad) and kill Shinra (good). It's not until he summons meteor that he actually becomes a planetary threat or anything.

Edit: I mean, if you know the history of the Cetra it's easy to see how Jenova is bad news, but from, like Cloud's perspective in the OG story there's actually not much reason to think Sephiroth is any worse than Shinra? Heck, dropping the Sector 7 plate is worse than anything Sephiroth's ever done.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Clarste posted:

I mean if you think about it all Sephiroth's done so far is burn down Nibelheim (bad) and kill Shinra (good). It's not until he summons meteor that he actually becomes a planetary threat or anything.

It's interesting because if you go back downstairs after breaking out of the holding cell, all the middle management people in the recreation area and lower are fine. They have no idea what just happened.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They probably can't even go upstairs, their keycards wouldn't work :v:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Yeah! It's endearing! It's a really good introduction to him because you can tell he's trying, but it's such a weird and confusing question.

The fate of the world is held in the balance between two awkward nerds doing their best to hide their lack of social graces with their sick rear end sword skills.

Let's mosey.

In retrospect it's actually kind of tragic how much Sephiroth and Cloud have in common in that respect. Neither really knows how to properly interact with their peers, desperately want some kind of real connection and have gently caress all any idea how to go about doing it.
Maybe that's why Sephiroth has chosen Cloud to come with him. He kinda literally see's himself in Cloud outside of the whole Jenova thing.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Thank you...Cloud” as Sephiroth dissolves into the Lifestream, finally at peace, as millions of nerds start getting dust in their eyes.