Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

readingatwork posted:

All the liberal war crime apologia for the Bush years lately is really getting under my skin and I think we need to remind people of just how bad those years were. Anybody interested in me starting a “let’s re-litigate the Bush years” thread? I think it might be fun to go back through the news archives week by week and relive all the greatest hits along with the smaller scandals everybody’s forgotten about (remember Terry Schaivo!?).

I would be very much on board with this. I'm right there with you in thinking that some very hard-learned lessons have been purposefully forgotten in the attempts to rehabilitate W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

teacup posted:

Ok so we’ve literally reached the point of “vote for Biden = kill the planet”

Hey a couple of posts above someone literally said a vote for joe Biden will mean the literal end of the planet and life on earth as we know it, but hey we are all reasonable in this topic right

Do you have a response? If it's so absurd it should be easy for you to prove that Biden will actually take action on climate change that will prevent the climate apocalypse that is pretty much scientific consensus at this point if nothing meaningful is done.

Do you disagree with the statement that Biden's climate plans are grossly insufficient and fall far short of what the experts say is absolutely necessary, or do you disagree with the experts themselves and believe that Biden's inaction will not actually cause that much damage? Those are the only two options; either you think that Biden is, in defiance of his entire history and the actions of the administration he was part of, going to go further than the climate plans on his website and will actually seriously combat climate change, or you disagree with the science and don't think that things will be so bad.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Araenna posted:

It sucks that saying "you shouldn't vote for Biden, because he sexually assaulted me" somehow hurts someone's credibility. Of course, it probably doesn't matter, since if she doesn't say that, people accuse her of lying, because they just ask how could she support him if he really assaulted her. There's really no way to win.

yeah it's a rigged game so people who want to believe the man can dismiss victims no matter what they do

if you say the man should be forced out of office you have a political agenda so you're obviously lying, if you say he shouldn't or you're not sure then you're obviously lying for attention or it must not really have been that bad.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

teacup posted:

Ok so we’ve literally reached the point of “vote for Biden = kill the planet”

Hey a couple of posts above someone literally said a vote for joe Biden will mean the literal end of the planet and life on earth as we know it, but hey we are all reasonable in this topic right

We are hosed now. The candidates that actually cared about climate change are gone. Now it doesn't matter if you vote for Biden or Trump....rich people just going to crush all us climate refugees.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The planet?

Lol that's weaksauce arguing.

Biden is going to open a portal to the eldritch other realms and bring forth the 100-handed elder god shrug-groperoth to destroy the universe, change my mind.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

i got owned posted:

Don't vote for any rapists, imo. Sorry if that's a little far out for some of the posters in this thread.

I'll vote for EVERY rapist.

In the which rapist sucks election.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

readingatwork posted:

All the liberal war crime apologia for the Bush years lately is really getting under my skin and I think we need to remind people of just how bad those years were. Anybody interested in me starting a “let’s re-litigate the Bush years” thread? I think it might be fun to go back through the news archives week by week and relive all the greatest hits along with the smaller scandals everybody’s forgotten about (remember Terry Schaivo!?).

Falstaff posted:

I would be very much on board with this. I'm right there with you in thinking that some very hard-learned lessons have been purposefully forgotten in the attempts to rehabilitate W.

I'd be down because it bugs the poo poo out of me too. His presidency started with my adulthood and basically has defined my adult life, all of it bad. He hosed up the civil rights we used to have, he created the modern surveillance state, he tortured and killed people abroad with impunity, he flushed the economy completely down the toilet and oh right, HE LET THE WORST TERRORIST ATTACK IN OUR HISTORY HAPPEN by being a dumbfuck. Katrina. The list goes on and on. gently caress Bush and gently caress Centrist Bush apologia.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 7, 2020

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/AllieRaffa/status/1258512897031811074?s=19

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

:lol: Somehow this works. What a weird six month's we are all in for.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dixon Chisholm posted:

I'll vote for EVERY rapist.

In the which rapist sucks election.

That might be voter fraud

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

actually it doesn’t matter who you vote for in November anymore with the primary over because we’re all going to die from climate change now anyway

unless howie pulls off a miracle

Literally everyone who is a climate scientist disagrees with you. Are you out of touch? No, it's must the kids climate scientists who are wrong.

VitalSigns posted:

100-handed elder god shrug-groperoth to destroy the universe, change my mind.

Ah. It *is* you Crowder. Suddenly the posts makes more sense.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
carbon neutral by 2050 is not a solution, sorry

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Literally everyone who is a climate scientist disagrees with you. Are you out of touch? No, it's must the kids climate scientists who are wrong.

Ah. It *is* you Crowder. Suddenly the posts makes more sense.

So climate scientists say that biden's plan is good enough? Or do they just feel the need to endorse one of the two candidates that are likely to win? Because I've as yet to see anything other than "better than trump". Which isn't good enough

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ManBoyChef posted:

We are hosed now. The candidates that actually cared about climate change are gone. Now it doesn't matter if you vote for Biden or Trump....rich people just going to crush all us climate refugees.

This is one of many reasons why it's essential to not lie down and accept Biden. We already have one major party where climate denialism is the official platform. If Biden is the Dem nominee, it'll be two major parties because he will ignore or refuse to act on any science that is inconvenient and most of the party will fall in line behind him. Misrepresenting the science or acting like it says something less urgent than it does is another form of denialism and dooms the planet just as surely.

If you think you can do anything about the climate crisis through electoralism, then you need to be pressuring the party about this nonstop, not making excuses for Joe because he's "better" than Trump in a way that is still going to lead to climate collapse and mass death; accepting him as your best option now, six months before the election, and defending his climate stance only shows that you are completely unserious about opposing climate change.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1258527285528809472?s=19

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Am I the only one who thinks that arguing that Biden will be worse for the environment or just as bad or whatever is a waste of time? Or that he'll lead to a worse conservative in 2024 or won't help anyone? No one knows what Biden is going to do. Busting out graphs and charts and quotes means nothing. The most important thing and the most concrete thing is that voting for Biden is allowing his and the Democratic party's behavior. They both just undermined the democratic process right in front of our faces who gives a red hot gently caress about his policies?

I'm going to guess the answer is"yes" which I suppose I can live with

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Rainbow Knight posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that arguing that Biden will be worse for the environment or just as bad or whatever is a waste of time? Or that he'll lead to a worse conservative in 2024 or won't help anyone? No one knows what Biden is going to do. Busting out graphs and charts and quotes means nothing. The most important thing and the most concrete thing is that voting for Biden is allowing his and the Democratic party's behavior. They both just undermined the democratic process right in front of our faces who gives a red hot gently caress about his policies?

I'm inclined to agree both based on there being literally no way to predict what is going to happen anymore (though if we follow historical trends, boy howdy are we hosed with either a Biden or Trump presidency), and also because we don't exactly live in a democracy and thus have little to no choice in the matter.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

And there it is.

https://twitter.com/BerninginCali/status/1258527072340701185?s=20

It's not too late to cut your losses, Biden supporters. It only gets worse from here.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Rainbow Knight posted:

i mean he's better than trump on it but his plan doesn't actually meaningfully address the problem

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Rainbow Knight posted:

We can look at Biden's 40 year political history to realize that we are pretty hosed and we should strap in for some amazing means tested austerity measures. How much do you want to bet he cuts or freezes social security?

What can we do to stop this? I really think we are beaten and stupid libs and boomers are going to put the last couple nails in our collective coffins. We can't wait for the boomers to die off and libs vote based on feelings and ideology not policy, we don't have enough time anymore.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rainbow Knight posted:

I've already said that I refuse to give my vote to a rapist or reward the Democratic party for their behavior and have already officially left the party, and since I live in California I know my state is going to go for Biden anyway. But some people in this thread are trying to convince themselves that it's moral and good to cave immediately and stan a rapey, racist climate-denialist, so I have been trying to show that even by their own standards and logic supporting Biden now is a foolish, unjustifiable move unless you care about neither ethics nor results and are only concerned about appearance. And even then I would think that finding someone other than a rapist would be the way to go there, but I can't really say much there because that's not how I think.

is pepsi ok posted:

And there it is.

It's not too late to cut your losses, Biden supporters. It only gets worse from here.

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1258527285528809472

Looking forward to unironic versions of this take in a day or two.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

I've already said that I refuse to give my vote to a rapist or reward the Democratic party for their behavior and have already officially left the party, and since I live in California I know my state is going to go for Biden anyway. But some people in this thread are trying to convince themselves that it's moral and good to cave immediately and stan a rapey, racist climate-denialist, so I have been trying to show that even by their own standards and logic supporting Biden now is a foolish, unjustifiable move unless you care about neither ethics nor results and are only concerned about appearance. And even then I would think that finding someone other than a rapist would be the way to go there, but I can't really say much there because that's not how I think.

Look, it's not a time machine. It's the same Russian hackers who made Joy Reid post homophobic poo poo on her blog. I don't know what's hard to grasp about this.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

ManBoyChef posted:

We can look at Biden's 40 year political history to realize that we are pretty hosed and we should strap in for some amazing means tested austerity measures. How much do you want to bet he cuts or freezes social security?

What can we do to stop this? I really think we are beaten and stupid libs and boomers are going to put the last couple nails in our collective coffins. We can't wait for the boomers to die off and libs vote based on feelings and ideology not policy, we don't have enough time anymore.

I mean, I'm definitely not saying you guys are wrong, just that all the liberal trolls have to do is say "nuh-uh!" and it's the same circular argument that you guys fall for every god drat time because no one can prove he'll be worse than Trump when the bar is set by trolls at "your argument must be 100% flawless even though we're all just spitballing anyway"

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

How are u posted:

What kind of question is this? Why does anybody give in to pressure from activists? Because the public pressure becomes too high and the politically smart move becomes giving into some demands.

That's how activism works.

He’s going to let climate activists get murdered by law enforcement the same way he and Obama allowed activists to get murdered by law enforcement during OWS.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

is pepsi ok posted:

And there it is.

drat, and it looks like Biden does the same thing Trump does whenever they rape someone.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

How about Peter Doau going full on comrade. I have a hell of a lot more respect for him now.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Roland Jones posted:

Fellow Californian, what have we learned about "by your logic" arguments when speaking to bad faith trolls?

Let's all just hold hands and say "gently caress off" together, as siblings in arms :unsmith:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Rainbow Knight posted:

Fellow Californian, what have we learned about "by your logic" arguments when speaking to bad faith trolls?

Let's all just hold hands and say "gently caress off" together, as siblings in arms :unsmith:

Yeah they're basically the (D) version of the MAGA shitheads who were screaming "Are you triggered???" at everyone online after Hillary ate poo poo. You're not going to logic them away lmao

ManBoyChef posted:

How about Peter Doau going full on comrade. I have a hell of a lot more respect for him now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCqADR4Fj88

is pepsi ok posted:

And there it is.

Somehow I doubt any amount of evidence will stop the cable news brain poison crew. I've already seen them say (on social media, not here) that the hair sniffing videos off cspan are russian video editing :cripes:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 8, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I still can't believe why the gross poo poo he does on loving C-SPAN was never a big deal in the mainstream. I can't even think of another politician who has done poo poo like that even once on camera, let alone dozens of times.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Majorian posted:

Look, it's not a time machine. It's the same Russian hackers who made Joy Reid post homophobic poo poo on her blog. I don't know what's hard to grasp about this.

Can't wait for some shitlib to talk about how this document was printed out by some Russian operatives and then quietly putin the records.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

I still can't believe why the gross poo poo he does on loving C-SPAN was never a big deal in the mainstream. I can't even think of another politician who has done poo poo like that even once on camera, let alone dozens of times.

What people truly hate about Donald Trump is that he reveals the ugliest parts of our society. He's too stupid to guard himself, and can only show the naked truth.

So when Donald Trump says that "when you're famous enough, you can do anything you want," the world was aghast, not because he was wrong, but because they knew he was right. Joe Biden was the vice president, and there's nothing he's not allowed to do. On camera. In public. To Hillary loving Clinton.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Roland Jones posted:

for clarity, this corroborates the claims of unwanted touching and not the more recent claims of sexual assault

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Nixon was right: if the President does it, it's not illegal

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

awesmoe posted:

for clarity, this corroborates the claims of unwanted touching and not the more recent claims of sexual assault

It corroborates that she was sexually harassed while working in Biden's office and was asked to leave

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

awesmoe posted:

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

awesmoe posted:

Lol the bar can not get lower.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It's an important distinction, because one is acceptable and other isn't for a presidential candidate.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rainbow Knight posted:

I mean, I'm definitely not saying you guys are wrong, just that all the liberal trolls have to do is say "nuh-uh!" and it's the same circular argument that you guys fall for every god drat time because no one can prove he'll be worse than Trump when the bar is set by trolls at "your argument must be 100% flawless even though we're all just spitballing anyway"

This is basically what it comes down to; the liberals on the other side of this argument basically blindly believe that Biden will do good things (or at least be open to being "pushed left" by activists), and in their minds it's literally impossible to disprove this. Their logic is basically that it makes sense to assume that a Democrat will do good things until proved otherwise (where the proof requires them actually being elected and serving their full term).

It really comes down to them viewing politics as a means of personal expression. In their minds, it's better to be "the optimistic person who was let down" than to be a "cynical" person who doesn't trust a politician.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

awesmoe posted:

Astonishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What people truly hate about Donald Trump is that he reveals the ugliest parts of our society. He's too stupid to guard himself, and can only show the naked truth.

The first time this really sank in for me was when everyone reacted to his "You think our country's so innocent?" comment the same way Republicans did to the Dixie Chicks saying the US was bad for doing the Iraq war.

awesmoe posted:

gently caress you.