Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Ash Crimson posted:

Does anyone else feel like that lockdown is slowly ebbing away?

For me personally, no. I'm living with my parents, and my father is 100% convinced that the virus is a death sentence. I haven't set foot inside a shop in a month, and my father wold build a physical wall around the property if the builders merchants weren't shut. My mother works from home and my father is on a police pension, so he's insulated from the economic implications and sees no negatives about being on lockdown for the next year if no vaccine is found. I'm expecting to be called back to work in the next few weeks, but it's not hyperbole for me to say I have a choice between quitting my job or living in a tent at the bottom of the garden. I work for a very small business that really can't function without me. My boss is being very accommodating right now and keeping me on furlough (while topping up the extra 20%), but it's inevitable I'll be needed back as things reopen.

As for what people are doing generally, I live in rural Wales. The locals are mostly playing by the rules. It's a holiday area with a lot of second homes and airbnbs, so everyone's waiting to see if any relaxation brings a rush of holidaymakers.

Edit: In 1935. Clement Attlee became leader of the Labour Party.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Ash Crimson posted:

Yeah the lockdown is ebbing away. The government were incredibly slow to get started but when they finally did the initial lockdown messaging was really strong and they were backing it up with legitimately pretty decent policy and people responded positively. Some uncertainty about what's happening is inevitable but they've hosed it up since with the leaks, official statements and expert advice all being really contradictory, they aren't doing the strong messaging they were at the start so of course people are responding imperfectly.

I do think the misinformation is deliberate, there's clearly a push to manufacture a public that calls for an early end to lockdown so the deaths can be blamed on the people not the government. It's a few pages back but someone pointed out that making the furlough irrationally insufficient effectively forces people to call for an end to lockdown or starve, they're definitely trying to do a shared culpability thing.

I'm gonna keep isolating as much as I can but 100% don't think less of people that are starting to break it, you can't blame them if there isn't a strong clear government message to stop them.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyway here's my theory - smokers are making more trips out of the house (to buy fags, and often to smoke them) but otherwise are more socially distanced (both from going out for a fag, and because they're all so damned cool that people are intimidated by us - erm, them), meaning that they're being exposed to very small amounts of the virus and are actually being effectively vaccinated.

I figure it's probably because our, ahem sorry their, lungs are so full of tar and deflated alveoli that coronavikings successfully invades the saxon shores but just finds itself in a Mordorian greyscape where there's just nothing to work with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can we blame allison pearson for it still?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

If smoking protects your lungs from it but means you're hosed if you do get it, then you would think the mortality would remain high on the chart on account of those protected never getting it and as a result not being incorporated into the analysis.
I think there's at least two things going on. There's the idea that a lower percent of people in hospital say they're smokers than the percentage in the general population, which could point to a protective effect or could point to lying to doctors.

Then there's the slightly lower mortality for smokers and slightly higher for ex smokers, which could be the virus never progressing to COVID, like say the smoker gets bronchitis or something, goes into hospital, tests positive for SARS-CoV-2, but recovers, because they never got an advanced form of the disease, or it could be a larger number of people who smoke who say they quit two weeks ago when they got the covids when asked.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

Then there's the slightly lower mortality for smokers and slightly higher for ex smokers, which could be the virus never progressing to COVID, like say the smoker gets bronchitis or something, goes into hospital, tests positive for SARS-CoV-2, but recovers, because they never got an advanced form of the disease, or it could be a larger number of people who smoke who say they quit two weeks ago when they got the covids when asked.

It could simply be that a lot of smokers are simply not owning up to the habit. It wouldn't surprise me if after watching weeks of articles about ventilator shortages and triages in Italian hospitals, smokers are keeping quiet out of fear it would put them at the back of the queue.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It could be. Or it could be as simple as the disease mortality most strongly correlating with age, and

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ash Crimson posted:

Already started here in Ireland.
Second worst place affected here, Cork City, and the assholes are out in form.
First two, three weeks, it was like 28 Days Later.
Now the kids are out screaming and running about the place morning till night. They are outside right now at this time, 23:00.

Was out for my weekly shop, and saw our local concrete park with 4 benches full with kids and idiots.
I wouldn't hear a car for hours at the start, but now the penis compensators are out lapping around with their hosed engines (or whatever makes that WOOOOOOOO animal sound) again.

Edit: VVVV Thanks, my car knowledge ends at the colour of them.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 7, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can get special cans to fit to the exhaust that make them obnoxiously loud but they're nominally illegal in a lot of places as far as I'm aware.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ash Crimson posted:

Most of the cars regularly parked outside have mysteriously vanished this evening and some unfamiliar ones have mysteriously appeared. There was also an awful lot of traffic on the A2 when I was taking my partner in to work.

Total coincidence it’s a bank holiday weekend I’m sure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You can get special cans to fit to the exhaust that make them obnoxiously loud but they're nominally illegal in a lot of places as far as I'm aware.
There's also Jake Brakes, which use the engine as an air compressor to provide enhanced engine braking when a heavy truck is rolling downhill or needs to slow down, with the side effect (before newer exhaust flow controls) of sounding like a WWI biplane struggling to climb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZqn2Nm1Fo&t=10s

They're only supposed to be used on HGVs and are illegal to turn on in residential areas, but some of the idiot car owner scene have managed to rig up something very similar from what I've heard (as in literally heard subarus going down the road like a bad pneumatic drill).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The whole "people are getting addicted to being furloughed" poo poo makes me think the government was hoping people would get fed up and start ignoring the lockdown a lot more than they are. That way they could act like they're responding to what the people want and get brownie points for it, and also blame them for ignoring the guidelines later on

The way they're pretending furlough is purely voluntary time off and having a go at people for *checks notes* staying home like they've been told to, it all kinda suggests they've given up on the first strategy and are actively pushing people to stop isolating, because it's what they wanted all along and it's just taking too long to happen

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah the lockdown is ebbing away. The government were incredibly slow to get started but when they finally did the initial lockdown messaging was really strong and they were backing it up with legitimately pretty decent policy and people responded positively. Some uncertainty about what's happening is inevitable but they've hosed it up since with the leaks, official statements and expert advice all being really contradictory, they aren't doing the strong messaging they were at the start so of course people are responding imperfectly.

what no it wasn't, they were extremely vague about the guidelines when they finally got around to telling people to start isolating. They changed the wording immediately from "only essential workers should go to work" to "work from home unless you can't", there's zero guidance on what essential workers actually are, there was no legislation closing most businesses which is why so many people still have to go to work, they announced stuff the night before so nobody had a chance to prepare (or in the case of pubs and clubs, they left a day so everyone could get one last mass gathering in), police have been harrassing people who are following the rules, it's been pure shite

It's only been recently that they've really focused on the whole "stay home, protect the NHS" clear message which is now going out the window. The entire thing has been a shambles, and probably intentionally because they don't actually want a lockdown, they want people out and working and recovering/dying from infection in their homes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At that point it would probably be quieter to just put retrograde pulsejets on the front.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jake Brakes are really good from a fuel economy point of view for big heavy haulage vehicles, they're just loud. Don't give the idiot car boy set ideas though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ash Crimson posted:

People just aren't taking it seriously, which was inevitable after being cooped up but the UK has hardly had a proper lockdown.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1258528709616660482

Tom Newton Dunn is familiar with the humanity of Nazis, what with having sourced that one article from them.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

By this time next clap, lockdown will be pretty much done I think. It'll be an interesting one to spin as I think it more or less went

- What is the most cost effective response to a pandemic? Say 'herd immunity', which means gently caress all
- Public complain and that paper came out
- Sort of a lockdown thats vague enough for people to do what they want
- People start doing what they want because either thousands are dying anyway and lockdown isn't doing anything, or there's no coronavirus because I haven't seen it
- Carnage

I'm not sure who they'll spin it against though as there's no class of people to blame in particular or weaker group to bully - it'll just be 'the nation brought it on itself' or some nonsense and by being lead to think we're complicit nothing will come of it. (I'm sure the media will find a marginalised group to blame though)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

As a milsperg I must take enormous issue with the insinuation that Hitler's boys did anything at all on VE day. It was Doenitz's boys.

Also someone at the Mail must have had a massive brain haemorrhage because their front page doesn't say a single word about VE day lmao. The state of the other papers though :negative:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

The message was broadcast by a Lieutenant Kunkel, at 7.35am on May 7, 1945. His unit had been pushed back to a German coastal town. Kunkel: "British troops entered Cuxhaven at 1400 on 6 May. From now on all radio traffic will cease. Closing down forever. All the best, goodbye”

that's not even remotely moving or humanising, who gives a gently caress about some random loving Nazi officer signing off in a slightly flowery manner?

like when I went to crete I ended up going to the Nazi cemetery for some reason (it was near by and I was reading a bunch of books about the invasion, mostly) and there was something a bit surreal as a 20 year old about walking down rows and rows of dead 20 year olds, because if I'd been born 70 years earlier in germany etc

but you're also completely aware that they were a bunch of loving nazi paratroopers and they committed a bunch of atrocities because they were loving nazis, so all in all it's a good thing they died even if they were young idiots

this guy doesn't even appear to have died?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He who is never named randomly showing up on my twitter feed as some sort of sealioning chaser is some god drat 2020 energy.

Apparently this thread owes me a PlayStation because I’m poor or something.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

justcola posted:

I'm not sure who they'll spin it against though as there's no class of people to blame in particular or weaker group to bully - it'll just be 'the nation brought it on itself' or some nonsense and by being lead to think we're complicit nothing will come of it. (I'm sure the media will find a marginalised group to blame though)

lazy scroungers (workers with no work)
millennials ignoring the rules and not caring about ARE NHS
scientists
China

just pick the most convenient for a given moment!

they've already been at it with following the science > the science "changed", according to scientists > scientists want a lockdown > mr lockdown science man IGNORES own lockdown for STEAMY ROMP with BLONDE BOMBSHELL, just setting them up as the people who are making all this happen and whose guidance was clearly lacking when it all comes out that things were handled really badly

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

justcola posted:

I think if the media vaguely blames it on ‘a percentage of the population who didn’t respect the lockdown’ everyone will quite happily fill in the blanks themselves with either an ethnic minority or teenagers or ‘that cow across the road’.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

baka kaba posted:

The whole "people are getting addicted to being furloughed" poo poo makes me think the government was hoping people would get fed up and start ignoring the lockdown a lot more than they are.

They didn't want or expect the public (and many businesses) to call for a lockdown in the first place. Their social scientists told them the Great British Public wouldn't stand for that sort of nonsense. Stiff upper lip, take it on the chin etc.

Can't even astroturf an anti-lockdown movement properly, lazy bastards.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I haven't taken part in the #ClapForThePoorBastardsGettingTheShaftFromTheGovernmentInAllThis so far, but I have decided that next week I will procure a cowbell and a drumstick and stand outside my flat doing my best Will Farrell until I am arrested because ARE BRAVE BOYS

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ofc there's only one way to truly prove your admiration for the NHS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVFEVWJMz8

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I haven't taken part in the #ClapForThePoorBastardsGettingTheShaftFromTheGovernmentInAllThis so far, but I have decided that next week I will procure a cowbell and a drumstick and stand outside my flat doing my best Will Farrell until I am arrested because ARE BRAVE BOYS

there's no point really, the virus is over next week because Boris is bored of lockdown

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TACD posted:

I think if the media vaguely blames it on ‘a percentage of the population who didn’t respect the lockdown’ everyone will quite happily fill in the blanks themselves with either an ethnic minority or teenagers or ‘that cow across the road’.

There are cows in the field at the bottom of my garden at the moment and a couple of them were giving me the evils all afternoon.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

XMNN posted:

there's no point really, the virus is over next week because Boris is bored of lockdown

In all seriousness, I can't tell how serious it's being taken where I am. My usual commute from the heart of Southsea to the north of Portsea Island generally takes 35 minutes in normal rush hour and school traffic, and nowadays it takes 15 minutes but the volume of other cars and people I pass at the same time of day varies from "almost a normal Saturday" to "it's quiet for a Christmas Day". I'm not even sure the local Tesco has queues to get in any more, while the KFC does drive-thru and has about 15 cars waiting at all times

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

As a milsperg I must take enormous issue with the insinuation that Hitler's boys did anything at all on VE day. It was Doenitz's boys.

Also someone at the Mail must have had a massive brain haemorrhage because their front page doesn't say a single word about VE day lmao. The state of the other papers though :negative:
It's Failure in Europe day for the Mail.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

There's also Jake Brakes, which use the engine as an air compressor to provide enhanced engine braking when a heavy truck is rolling downhill or needs to slow down, with the side effect (before newer exhaust flow controls) of sounding like a WWI biplane struggling to climb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZqn2Nm1Fo&t=10s

They're only supposed to be used on HGVs and are illegal to turn on in residential areas, but some of the idiot car owner scene have managed to rig up something very similar from what I've heard (as in literally heard subarus going down the road like a bad pneumatic drill).

That wouldn't be a jake brake - they wouldn't actually be that noisy on a much smaller-displacement car engine, and I don't think you could even make them work on a four-stroke engine, for that matter, at least without completely replacing the valvetrain.

What you're hearing is open pipes with a chipped engine to run over-rich, giving the classic fart-cannon note because half the combustion is happening in the headers rather than in the cylinder. The hilarious thing is if they're actually turbo'd (and the rally cars Scooby owners are all trying to emulate are turbocharged) that they're both completely loving the turbo (and probably the intake manifold if they're doing the other fuckhead mod of a loud pop-off valve - the FST-OOO noise you hear when they close the throttle) *and* losing a shitload of power.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And you can achieve the same effect by just sticking a trombone out the window and giving the slide some welly as you drive.

The embouchure is a bit tricky though I guess.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

10 years ago I owned a completely unmodified Impreza Turbo, and the idea of wanting to make it louder is insane to me, it was obnoxious. I just wanted to go fast.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

And you can achieve the same effect by just sticking a trombone out the window and giving the slide some welly as you drive.

The embouchure is a bit tricky though I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx8XXaLxt4Q

This is the only acceptable exhaust mod. Want a loud exhaust? Buy an Italian motorbike like God intended. The noise*must* be legal, the factory says it is!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
wings over scotland's second (and third) accounts have been suspended from twitter, so some good news today. i hope he still starts up his political party to contest the 2021 holyrood elections, and runs it from his residence in not-scotland. might get more votes than RISE at least i guess

shame graham linehan is still able to accuse university lecturers in queer studies of grooming kids for some reason. brilliant website

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If BME people are dying at a higher rate than good white British people are, then it's clearly their fault that coronavirus is still spreading.

[edit]
Irony written while drunk is probably not very good irony, so [snip]

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 8, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

It's Failure in Europe day for the Mail.

Fair point :v:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
There's a lot of poo poo talking in here right now.

Yeah Boris might gently caress it all soon but currently don't go out if you don't need to. The end.

I went out yesterday in contravention of the requirements to stay in and it was really busy. loving bastards.

Surely the death of black people can't be separated from the death of just poorer people?

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 8, 2020

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Surely the death of black people can't be separated from the death of just poorer people?

Not necessarily, there's an increasing amount of research that seems to suggest that even when you control for comorbidities and variables like deprivation, this disease hits certain groups harder than others, with a few scientific papers now suggesting that there's a genetic component that impacts how badly you react to the virus. There's also some suggestion that the Kawasaki-like effects in children identified disproportionately appear in children of Afro-Caribbean descent.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
There’s definitely more people out and about in my sleepy town of 4,500 odd, and the neighbours on both sides of us have been having family around for BBQs quite frequently over the past few weeks.

I left my house last night to go and get some fish’n’chips, just as the 8pm clap started. Everybody was doing it, which made me feel a little bad that we haven’t been. It also felt massively uncomfortable, like everyone was sarcastically clapping my decision to not cook for myself.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

With the clapping on my street last night they ended with chants of 'test test test' and something about ppe (I was drunk) so that was nicer to hear than just a racket. Keeps getting longer and longer though.

I was going to use the great social barometer of Facebook to see who's blaming who but everyone's just gushing about their relatives who fought in the war and doing a 30-day song challenge of awful music. (no real change then)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
https://twitter.com/MediocreDave/status/1258651798707097600

I have to say them leaking one thing to the press, seeing how mad everyone was then leaking the opposite thing to the press, all days before the actual official announcement, has broken me today, I'm hooting like an owl